• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ryutaro's mama if it makes you feel better I will be openly mocking Rian Johnson in the title if Knives Out bombs as I have that weekend as well.

I am equal opportunity in my mocking!

VulcanRaven

alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
User warned: inappropriate commentary
I can't even say that much.

At least Dark Fate remembered what Terminators were supposed to be. Lethal, unstoppable and serious. Not this...

4EkX.gif

eh, atleast she was attractive

Can't say the same for the dark fate cast

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joker is hitting $1b. No one imagined this. I thought $500m was the ceiling for this thing along with a lot of us here. Wild.

On a sidenote, I'm going to watch Dark Fate tomorrow no matter how bad it may be.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that totally forgot Terminator came out this weekend (and this is despite playing Gears 5 with it's tie in promo and following these box office threads)?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Hopefully it does more than F8. They won't be able to keep going with the budgets they're getting if it does H&S numbers.

Quality-wise, it's Lin back so I expect it to be great.
I think it has an excellent shot of doing better than H&S, and a good shot of beating F8. H&S felt like a weird spinoff since it was first revealed. Justice for Han

I haven't been keeping up with the plot(lol) for Fast Nine, but adding Cardi B is gonna put butts in seats

Just a couple more movies and it'll be DBZ with cars. I can't wait

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm forever on team dethrone the current crown holder.

Time to go Endgame. We need a new #1.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Ghostbusters for the 2nd time, I guess. The first one was a major flop. And not all Disney's live action remakes are doing well. I enjoyed TLK and Aladdin, but they were clearly, clearly a huge step down from the 90s classics. They have also had some bombas there. Maleficent seems to have been saved from flopping by other territories, but I have to say Disney's batting average here is below 50% when talking about BO gross and even lower than that when talking about critical acclaim.

Disney's live action is the red headed step child of the division and it is clear why they are moving a lot of their products straight to Disney+.

Aladdin, TLK are making massive, massive bank though, I don't think those are the red headed step child of anything. Maleficent will probably still turn a profit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so no one wants to talk about one of the biggest bombs ever?

The per-theater average of Arctic Dogs comes to just $1,090. In 2019, only five movies with wide releases have had worse opening weekend averages: The Goldfinch ($1,053), Replicas ($1,019), The Pilgrim's Process ($961), Noah: The Musical ($652) and Patterns of Evidence: The Moses Controversy ($254). But none of those movies opened in over 2,800 theaters. Most of them didn't even eclipse 1,000 theaters.

In fact, according to Box Office Mojo, no movie in the history of cinema has premiered in that many theaters on opening weekend and had that poor of a showing. And it gets even worse when you consider the film's $50 million budget.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Terminator doesn't seem bad, just not good enough to overcome severe franchise fatigue.

This the third attempt to reboot this franchise in a decade.

Yeah, it's 12-28 years and 3 follow up films too late.

I liked T:DF, but if it had come out in 2003 instead of T3RotM (I enjoyed and liked that too) it might have had a shot at being profitable enough to carry two follow ups.

As the IP stands today, sadly, it's been Terminated!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn....I'm planning on seeing Terminator still, but that's a bummer. Franchise is one of my favorites, but the last two movies especially were just so mishandled that the franchise seems destined for a dark fate now. I couldn't believe how bad Salvation was.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Joker creeping up to one billion worldwide is great news. As a Batman movie, I am still on the fence with it. But I do like it as a stand alone movie. But this is great news for R-rated films in general.

Damn. Cameron can't catch a break.

I thought Battle Angle was great. Maybe even one of the better big budget movies of this year. Shame it didn't do better at the Box Office.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Knives Out bombing.

Its made on only a $40 million budget from a well known director on top of being a critical darling.

Anecdotally, my dad who goes to the theater maybe 5 times a year max is VERY excited for Knives out since he loves the Whodunnit genre + huge man crush on Daniel Craig.

At worst it'll do okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.