• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman was so fucking. I loved how much of the movie was underwater. it looked really expensive.

Mamoa was great. Amber Heard was not but my god she was hot. Nicole Kidman killed it in her little cameo. She probably had the best fighting scene of the movie. James Wan has become one of my favorite director now. So many great one shot takes that dont overstay their welcome like they do in most movies. Fantastic camera movement and cinematography. The scene where they descend while being chased by piranhas people looked incredible.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
A billy is definitely happening this weekend, should add another $30 million throughout this week from North America alone.

For added context on the prior discussion, Aquaman is a bonafide sensation worldwide and would "only" make about $800m without China.

To be fair, it isn't Atlantis in Justice League

One of those things Wan had Zack promise him, that he would get to reveal Atlantis in his movie. So it's like a post on the outskirts.

Yeah, I'm just calling it Atlantis for lack of a better term. I'm mainly comparing the effects of Amber Heard's air bubble in JL vs. Aquaman.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman surpassing even the Dark Knight films is legit blowing my mind

like wtf

2018 the year of comic book movie fatigue amirite

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman without China is still going to be bigger than most superhero films without China.

Excepting the $1B MCU films and some older stuff (Nolan Dark Knights, Raimi Spider-man 3 and maybe 1)

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was the first one to say December 2018 was a great release date and not crowded at all and no film would bomb!

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was the first one to say December 2018 was a great release date and not crowded at all and no film would bomb!

tyler.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, it isn't Atlantis in Justice League

One of those things Wan had Zack promise him, that he would get to reveal Atlantis in his movie. So it's like a post on the outskirts.

What sticks out most is how desaturated and lifeless it all looks. Wan really brought so much color and vibrancy to the whole thing. What a difference.

That Mother Box must have been really important to the Atlanteans what with the four guards protecting it out in the open 😂

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I had a blast. It was a fun adventure film! And I felt a little emotional in each one of Nicole Kidman's scenes. I'd watch again!

Even though she had few scenes she was very much the emotional punch for me.

When Aquaman said that his father \ her husband still walks the pier every morning looking for her killed me. Esp the look on her face. It was such a touching scene and she sold the pain.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
2018 Superhero films (including Incredibles and Spider-verse) will end up over $8.3B worldwide, split between 8 films.

The previous record for releases in a single year was around 4.75B.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman surpassing even the Dark Knight films is legit blowing my mind

like wtf

2018 the year of comic book movie fatigue amirite

I still think The Dark Knight's box office run is the craziest and most fun to follow that I've seen among comic book movies. That thing ended its run as the #2 all-time movie in North America and I think #6 worldwide. This was when $1B was about as rare as $2B is today.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I still think The Dark Knight's box office run is the craziest and most fun to follow that I've seen among comic book movies. That thing ended its run as the #2 all-time movie in North America and I think #6 worldwide. This was when $1B was about as rare as $2B is today.

It was 4th worldwide.

Titanic
Return of the King
Dead Man's Chest
The Dark Knight

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman is one of those movies that actually looks more expensive than it is.

Production budget is supposedly around $160m so it certainly isn't cheap by any means but man they made good use of the cash on this one. The whole film looks expensive in pretty much every scene

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

Production budget is supposedly around $160m so it certainly isn't cheap by any means but man they made good use of the cash on this one. The whole film looks expensive in pretty much every scene

I think that newer estimates were 200M. But it looks like that much, if not more.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I mean the final undersea war is just fucking INSANE. I can't get over how good this movie looks.

Oct 25, 2017
People still trying to say Flashpoint is a viable idea? Lol

Aquaman, I repeat, AQUAMAN, just hit a billion. They're not rebooting shit.
It makes it more viable imo,

Successful stuff like Harley, Aquaman and Wonder Woman can remain entirely untouched while the ruined Batman, Superman, Justice League, Joker, etc get changed (hopefully fixed or at least better)

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious about Shazam. Am I crazy for thinking this might actually do really REALLY well?

Oct 25, 2017
China is here for spectacle films. If Shazam has that, then we should be good. I'm not sure it will though. Looks more grounded than some of the more fantastical films.

Granted we really haven't seen much other than an unfinished kinda teaser trailer. The next trailer we get should be more indicative on the spectacle. Although do think this movie will be more "grounded"

That said. I'm not even expecting a billion from Shazam. He's not a character the masses are knowledgeable about. Top priority is that this movie is good and audiences click with it. I feel it can do 600 million and be fine. The sequel is where you can go crazy with some the spectacle.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why

And I thought most of them were in better place at the end of Justice League.

Yeah, people said they needed a reboot after BvS then Wonder Woman did big business. Said it again after JL, now Aquaman is doing big business. Seems obvious at this point that folks will show up to DC movies if the quality is there.

If nearly $5B in box office receipts after 6 movies, with the latest movie being the biggest, means you need a reboot, a lot of franchises out there need a damn reboot.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

Seems like Bumblebee might have juuuuust barely inched ahead of Spiderverse in the actuals.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

WW also looked pretty darn good for its budget of like 150m. I love me some MCU movies but they tend to look pretty cheap in comparison. Maybe they actually pay their VFX people :P

Seems like Bumblebee might have juuuuust barely inched ahead of Spiderverse in the actuals.

Congrats to both. Bumblebee had more screens this weekend so it makes sense. Still expecting SV to overtake it Monday onward unless the screen crunch becomes an issue.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Congrats to both. Bumblebee had more screens this weekend so it makes sense.

I'm glad both movies have found some moderate success. As much as I love Bee (after being a massive Transformers fan yet hating the Bay films), I finally saw Spidey the other day and... wow. I don't even like superhero movies, but Spiderverse was transcendent.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Verse won the first major award for any SPA feature. It's a roaring success by that metric.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Verse won the first major award for any SPA feature. It's a roaring success by that metric.

Golden Globes: 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Wins Best Animated Feature

"Anyone can wear the mask; everyone is powerful and everyone is necessary, and that is the spirit of the movie."

Seems like an Oscar Nom is in the bag but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Incredibles 2 take the win due to sheer exposure.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is universe altering looked at as a more logical approach than... recasting?

What can you really do with old as fuck Batman once retired Batman who has already had all of his stories told? (With all those references in the cave to stuff like JasonTodd etc). With the Joker... you're still using the weird low level mobster foundation from Suicide Squad who logically wouldn't exist with the BvS murder machine Batman and the insulting version of killer croc etc. Short of a crisis deal, their best bet (imo) is to retcon the current Joker as a mind broken Robin (explaining why no fucks given Batman didn't ever kill him) and... either do mostly prequel stories (like they're doing with WW) or... do some Batman Beyond type thing in the present?

I wonder if WWs third movie will still skirt away from the DCEU by doing another period peice or what.

They're still denying me my true Joker over on Gotham.

Wait, that guy who is obviously the Joker in those YouTube thumbnails isn't actually the Joker?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What can you really do with old as fuck Batman once retired Batman who has already had all of his stories told? (With all those references in the cave to stuff like JasonTodd etc). With the Joker... you're still using the weird low level mobster foundation from Suicide Squad who logically wouldn't exist with the BvS murder machine Batman and the insulting version of killer croc etc. Short of a crisis deal, their best bet (imo) is to retcon the current Joker as a mind broken Robin (explaining why no fucks given Batman didn't ever kill him) and... either do mostly prequel stories (like they're doing with WW) or... do some Batman Beyond type thing in the present?

I wonder if WWs third movie will still skirt away from the DCEU by doing another period peice or what.

Wait, that guy who is obviously the Joker in those YouTube thumbnails isn't actually the Joker?

I just want them nail old as fuck joker so we can Batman Beyond dammit. Bring back Christian Bale to be old batman, sells everyone on it instantly

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Most Batman stories? Like his age isn't gonna be an issue unless keep pushing it as an issue. Most versions of Batman are "seasoned" TAS, Arkham games, comic books.

Could do Under the Red Hood, could do Son of Batman, could do Court of Owls, could do Arkham Asylum, War Games, Hush, the options are limitless.

Status
Not open for further replies.