• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Everyone talking comic book movies over here, and frankly I'm just sitting here being glad that Escape Room did decent numbers and hoping it gets the sequel they set up. The movie was way more fun than it had any right to be, I honestly enjoyed it more than most things I've seen recently.

I wouldn't expect amazing legs, but an $18M start is probably good for $40-50M domestic. Which for a $9M film would be sequel territory.

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think people are getting a bit carried away with DC's characters have more pull and higher ceiling/higher floor than Marvel's. The market is changing and there are opportunities to be had. For instance, Venom's first movie did better than Wonder Woman and Thor 3 and almost as good as a 2nd GoTG and SM:H for instance.

EDIT: I want to see a random unknown DC character or ensemble movie a la GoTG and Ant Man. Shazam was already known before his movie. Give me an obscure one.
When/If Plastic Man gets made that'll be interesting to see.

Oct 27, 2017
Homecoming was coming off a shit sandwich, so Far From Home's business next summer will be interesting to watch. If it goes up significantly, Homecoming could be a Batman Begins type deal (to a lesser extent. Not expecting 600M domestic for FFH). If not, maybe a section of people are getting bored of Spider-man films. Even Spider-man 3 would have been around $450M by today's standards. It was the biggest film of the year domestically in 2007.
To be fair, I honestly wasn't hyped for Homecoming after being fatigued of the franchise so I'm sure that definitely played a part for some.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Woman made less than all of 2017 and 2018 MCU except for Ant Man and the Wasp, so that's not the best example.

I specifically said solo movies.

Wonder Woman: $821.8
Aquaman: $1b+

Now compare it to MCUs solo movies. (Which is what my original post was getting at)

nhyHzDm.png

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Now compare it to MCUs solo movies. (Which is what my original post was getting at)

nhyHzDm.png
Impossible to say, given that no MCU solo movie has released in the same conditions (mix of period and direct competition) afaik.

Aquaman makes a good case for Marvel also releasing in the Xmas period though I guess, bumping from 2 movies a year (Spring/ Summer) to 3 (+ Winter).

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
suicide squad had terrible word of mouth
if people actually liked it and it was quality , a billion was definetely in play for it,

the marketing resonated bigly in america and europe , the film itself did not

The only superhero movies that pull a billion without China also pull $500-$600m in North America. You're really overestimating the worldwide popularity of funnybook movies to think SS had a chance at a billion without China.

Why do I get the feeling this thread is revising history to say stuff like Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman weren't tremendously successful films?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The only superhero movies that pull a billion without China also pull $500-$600m in North America. You're really overestimating the worldwide popularity of funnybook movies to think SS had a chance at a billion without China.

Why do I get the feeling this thread is revising history to say stuff like Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman weren't tremendously successful films?
Went through it before.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homecoming was coming off a shit sandwich, so Far From Home's business next summer will be interesting to watch. If it goes up significantly, Homecoming could be a Batman Begins type deal (to a lesser extent. Not expecting 600M domestic for FFH). If not, maybe a section of people are getting bored of Spider-man films. Even Spider-man 3 would have been around $450M by today's standards. It was the biggest film of the year domestically in 2007.

Count me in to those people getting bored. Or simply, the Homecoming MCU take on him is dull as potatoes that does little to capture the character or celebrate him. I have a metric ton more interest in the venomverse/spiderverse than FFH.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impossible to say, given that no MCU solo movie has released in the same conditions (mix of period and direct competition) afaik.

Aquaman makes a good case for Marvel also releasing in the Xmas period though I guess, bumping from 2 movies a year (Spring/ Summer) to 3 (+ Winter).

Very true. Aquaman had quite the competition and it still pulled through tremendously. It'll drop when Glass comes out for sure. But it's looking like it'll have 4 #1 weekends in the states.

Now, having both a DC & Marvel movie release around Christmas would be interesting to see/track.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think people are getting a bit carried away with DC's characters have more pull and higher ceiling/higher floor than Marvel's. The market is changing and there are opportunities to be had. For instance, Venom's first movie did better than Wonder Woman and Thor 3 and almost as good as a 2nd GoTG and SM:H for instance.

EDIT: I want to see a random unknown DC character or ensemble movie a la GoTG and Ant Man. Shazam was already known before his movie. Give me an obscure one.

Fair fair. Almost every SH movie in 2018 would have cracked 1b if they'd had Aquaman/Venom like performance in China.
Everyone talking comic book movies over here, and frankly I'm just sitting here being glad that Escape Room did decent numbers and hoping it gets the sequel they set up. The movie was way more fun than it had any right to be, I honestly enjoyed it more than most things I've seen recently.

I commented on page 1, but we are hyper nerds at heart :P I don't think that it will have a ton of staying power given the reviews and its OW FRI—SUN spread, but itshould Rowell enough for a sequel. Did Sony have a single money loser this/last year with the exception of Spiders Web? Even the press is still underselling the turnaround that they've had under him.

Shazam is pretty niche in terms of GA, but I'd agree about 'getting carried away'. Almost every SH movie in 2018 would have cracked 1b if they'd had Aquaman/Venom like performance in China.

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows plastic man? Nawwww, an NBA player doesn't get the nickname Plastic Man back in the 90s if only dozens of people know the character.

EDIT: Matter of fact, I would say more people would recognize Plastic Man than Reed Richards even though the latter has been in a few movies, for example.
I guarantee if you ask almost anybody today, they'd probably think he was some old Batman villain associated with condiment man.

Oct 31, 2017
Fair fair. Almost every SH movie in 2018 would have cracked 1b if they'd had Aquaman/Venom like performance in China.

I commented on page 1, but we are hyper nerds at heart :P I don't think that it will have a ton of staying power given the reviews and its OW FRI—SUN spread, but itshould Rowell enough for a sequel. Did Sony have a single money loser this/last year with the exception of Spiders Web? Even the press is still underselling the turnaround that they've had under him.

Shazam is pretty niche in terms of GA, but I'd agree about 'getting carried away'. Almost every SH movie in 2018 would have cracked 1b if they'd had Aquaman/Venom like performance in China.

I'm very curious to see if the CBM audience in China is growing. If Venom/Aquaman is the new norm, then CBM will reach 1B fairly frequently. If they are the exception to the rule, then it's just BAU . I'm curious to see how Shazam, Captain Marvel, FFH, and Joker (if it gets released there) do. I'm less curious about Endgame, but still want to see if it'll do better than IW. If the market has expanded, then Endgame should clear 450MM and become the highest grossing western movie there.

Matter of fact, I think Once Upon a Deadpool is some kind of a test to release future Deadpools as PG-13 in China while keeping its R rate in the ROTW.

I guarantee if you ask almost anybody today, they'd probably think he was some old Batman villain associated with condiment man.

Agree to disagree.

Uh, what player was called Plastic Man in the 90s? lol

I'll give you a hint, he played for the Hawks and then the Blazers. If you don't know, then you're not a real NBA fan.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only superhero movies that pull a billion without China also pull $500-$600m in North America.

That's just not true anymore with the continued growth of INT and China.

You're really overestimating the worldwide popularity of funnybook movies to think SS had a chance at a billion without China.

They were, but Suicide Squad had the market to itself for ever so there's kind of a caviate there. It's OWX wasn't strong either, a 2.4 is standard/lower for most DOM super hero movies. Maybe barely average when you include the DCEU stuff.

Suicide Squad absolutely could have hit a billion without China if it was a great movie as oppose to a terrible one.

I can't figure out how to copy an image URL from my phone so here's a link to the post I made a while back that included the OWX of every MCU film to that point.

Point stands, Suicide Squad didn't have great legs. It legged average if that for a CBM and was released with Zero competition. This isn't me trying to make Suicide Squad into a commercial failure, it's just the facts. Suicide Squad was a critical and creative failure to the point that James Gunn is keeping it in name only for the sequel though.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wk...ow-641m-new-records.39242/page-8#post-7345004

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

nhyHzDm.png

Honestly, outside of the Avengers stuff, I don't think that the distinction between solo and group films means anything. It just seems like an excuse to discount GotG and stuff with guest stars to form patterns that I am not sure are all that relevant. Logan made about as much as the rest of the X-FIlms, and both Deadpools were bigger. Nearly everything out of the MCU/DCEU since Avengers 1 has been bigger than the Fox team films. There isn't all that much backing up the idea that multiple heroes is a draw over 1.

The Avengers is set up differently, so that is the exception. If we use a comic book analogue, they are the line wide events that shake up the status quo (even if superficially), vs something like Wolverine appearing in Amazing Spider-man for the month.

Oct 31, 2017
Lol. He should at least be somewhat known

He was back in the days. Again, it's been what? 20 years since he retired? They could have given him the nickname Mister Fantastic, but voila. Actually, I think more people would know Plastic Man as opposed to Mr Fantastic (instead of Reed Richards I said earlier).

Anyways, no point in arguing, you think Plastic Man is obscure and only known by dozens; and I vehemently disagree. No point in going back and forth on this.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Disney's Spiderman is the most sanitized shit. I don't expect the sequel to light the world on fire unless it's got some dramatic chops. And I bet it doesn't.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
That's just not true anymore with the continued growth of INT and China.

It's factually true though, I'm not stating an opinion. Take China out of the pot and every $1B superhero film pulled at least $530m from North America. Avengers can do $1B without China but that's a really lofty standard to hold every superhero film too, especially god damn Suicide Squad.

Did they leave money on the table with SS? Yeah, probably. Did they leave $250m on the table through WOM? Nah, I'm not buying that for a second. $1B is really hard to do, much harder than some of you make it seem.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Homecoming is really vanilla

I enjoyed it, but it's one of the most forgettable MCU films for me outside of Vultures character. I really hope FFH has a bit more to it

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It's factually true though, I'm not stating an opinion. Take China out of the pot and every $1B superhero film pulled at least $530m from North America. Avengers can do $1B without China but that's a really lofty standard to hold every superhero film too, especially god damn Suicide Squad.

Did they leave money on the table with SS? Yeah, probably. Did they leave $250m on the table through WOM? Nah, I'm not buying that for a second. $1B is really hard to do, much harder than some of you make it seem.

I am not trying to refute your larger point, but you forgot Age of Ultron. 459M domestic. Almost 1.2B outside of China.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hot take incoming: the Russos have a better handle of Spiderman than Watts does.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it more likely that "Plastic Man" was a made up nickname that was coincidentally also the name of a DC hero? This reminds me of the bit on Seinfeld where Jerry thinks there must be a Rubber Man, because it sounds like the kind of character that would exist.

Also, count me among the group tired of this pointless distinction between solo vs. multi-hero superhero movies, as if it makes a difference at the box office. Outside of Avengers, whose whole appeal is that it's a teamup between multiple heroes, most audiences don't give a shit.

Count me in to those people getting bored. Or simply, the Homecoming MCU take on him is dull as potatoes that does little to capture the character or celebrate him. I have a metric ton more interest in the venomverse/spiderverse than FFH.

Funny, I had the opposite reaction from Homecoming. I liked Maguire and to a lesser extent Garfield's takes on the character, but what impressed me most about Homecoming and Holland was that it felt Spider-Man-y in a way that I didn't even realize those other movies were lacking until Homecoming showed me otherwise.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
far from crazy legs , it opened to 179m first week, it dropped 79% it's 2nd week in the us, just slightly below BVS super awful 81%
the legs were below average

seriosuly it and bvs could have made boat loads of money if they were great

Uh, Suicide Squad opened to 133m and dropped 67% week 2 but held decently well after that. Civil War had a ~2.3x multiplier off it's opening weekend and everyone tells me how great that movie was.

I am not trying to refute your larger point, but you forgot Age of Ultron. 459M domestic. Almost 1.2B outside of China.

Fair enough.

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't it more likely that "Plastic Man" was a made up nickname that was coincidentally also the name of a DC hero? This reminds me of the bit on Seinfeld where Jerry thinks there must be a Rubber Man, because it sounds like the kind of character that would exist.

No. His nickname was because of the DC character because he stretched like crazy.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The success of Aquaman is beyond me. I cannot brlieve it has more success than Justice League and Batman vs Supermam, far better movies. But then again, a terrible movie like Venom had ridiculous success to. Strange days...
Good casting. Jason Momoa is a really good casting here, so is Amber Heard.

Non-stop action

And amazing effects.

It's Fast and Furious comic book edition.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People still trying to say Flashpoint is a viable idea? Lol

Aquaman, I repeat, AQUAMAN, just hit a billion. They're not rebooting shit.

The animated version of flashpoint wasn't a reboot though. In fact, the reboot part of Flashpoint in the comics was clearly thrown into at the ending last minute. It's really not a core part of the story. Compared to Crisis on Infinite Earths or Infinite Crisis, where the whole plot is about multiple heroes and villains from multiple universes clashing and then the final result being a world with its very history changed by that, Flashpoint's is a fairly odd story where the entire world ends up changed by the mistake of one hero with all the characters that are getting changed or erased not having any role. On top of that, looking at it from the point of view of a self-contained story, Flash messes up the timeline, then by the end of it all when he's putting the timeline back together he hears a mysterious voice and decides to change things up again rather than actually restoring the world. It's a really odd conclusion for something that focused on showing how changing the timeline was bad.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Non-stop action

And amazing effects.

Yeah, the effects work is really spectacular. Look back at the Atlantis scene in Justice League and the stuff we see in Aquaman is just a totally different level. JL looks straight up cheap in comparison.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Far From Home will be very successful but I don't see it making that much more than Homecoming. Maybe 900+. A billion? I would say no, but we'll see. Tough to say without having seen the trailer or Endgame.
People are too used to the idea of a new Spider-Man movie coming out, it doesn't really have that much of an event factor, despite him being the most popular superhero without a doubt.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I can't agree with any of that. You can't just reduce a film like that and discard its presentation and style. Infinity War still presented its Icons as things to aspire to, had jokes, fun, and daylight. If Infinity War has a glaring problem beyond its scope, it's that it did a poor job of making the case for Thanos.

The Dark Knight films showed optimism through the contrast of the will to improve or protect and the will to destroy or corrupt. They were dark movies, but they were also actually about something and gave you a central character with qualities, goals, and aspirations worth fighting for. BvS gives you nothing and the development it DOES give to Batman 'out of left field in the bookend' is completely unearned and forced. What good is the contrast of light versus dark when your Superman is a brooding misanthrope to rival the idiotic Frank Miller Batman himself?

BvS is an incoherent mess of a film that is only interested in mucking about in its own fetishism of misery and cynicism. I mean sure it adds a dollop of 'redemption' to the top of a shit Sundae in the final 5% but I still wouldn't order that off the menus thanks.

The Dark Knight movies wove characters internal conflicts, contrasts and evolution into the script from scene one and took you on actual character studies, not a series of drunken ramblings from freshman philosophers trying to beat you into submissions so that you might buy into the fallacious masquerading of a movie having much of anything to say as dragged itself from point a to point b for enternity before the credits mercifully rolled.

I disagree. I think there is hope in the movie and not just darkness. Superman represent that consistent hope. When Superman is there, the audience is re-assured. So the movie wasn't just darkness and despair. I think BvS is far more complex than people think.

Than Batman revenge justice and hate of Superman was great. I also love how Superman was struggling with his place in the world. And all the controversy about him was he a superhero or a god ?

I absolutely love the confrontation and fight between Batman and Superman. It was visually stunning.

The Wonder Woman kind of mystery appsrition and investigation was good as well.

The only downside to the movie were the bad guys. Lex Luthor was not as good as expected. And that monster ( Doomsday right ? ) was terrible.

Non-stop action

And amazing effects.

I think you nailed it man.

Last edited:

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, the effects work is really spectacular. Look back at the Atlantis scene in Justice League and the stuff we see in Aquaman is just a totally different level. JL looks straight up cheap in comparison.

To be fair, it isn't Atlantis in Justice League

One of those things Wan had Zack promise him, that he would get to reveal Atlantis in his movie. So it's like a post on the outskirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.