• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
They blew two massive opportunities just because they couldn't wait to release BvS and JL and because they hired a deeply flawed filmmaker to spearhead the whole universe. What a huge fuckup. Guess they can try Justice League 2, but they only had one shot at Batman vs Superman.

throw in suicide squad , it would have done a billion easy if it was any good , the marketing was superb

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
James Wan will be the 2nd director to have two $1 billion+ movies in two different franchises. James Cameron being the original, of course.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I know I was. I had zero faith in Sony. How wrong I was.

Spider-Verse was a masterpiece but I'll wait and see what Sony does next before I start singing their praises. Basically since Spider-Man 2 in 2004 they've spent 14 years mismanaging the property. Venom was goofy fun but it gave no indication that they righted the ship. I honestly think since Spider-Verse was an animated film the producers/executives that usually give bad notes were either too confused by the process or disinterested that they just left them alone. I hope I'm wrong and Morbius is a great movie.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
That's a lie on multiple levels. First off, that line was speaking to Watchmen. Second, it MoS' script and direction were how they were before Snyder even signed onto the project. David Goyer wrote the script and, again, Roven dictated things based on the success of Nolan movies. Not that Snyder is a stranger to making things dark or absolves his part. But jeez, y'all project so much negatively on one person, it's no wonder why you make the hate personal.

Scripts aren't static, they get heavily altered once production is done then altered on-set by writers. The script for Russell Crowe's Robin Hood was a good example of this, it was a completely different concept to what they made.

https://www.slashfilm.com/how-nottingham-became-robin-hood-screenwriter-tells-part-of-the-story/

Stage One: Nottingham

The script was originally sort of a procedural tale, told from the perspective of the Sheriff as he investigated Robin Hood's actions and tried to figure out who was 'terrorizing' the area. Arguably not a bad take, certainly novel within the context of other movies that deal with the character. A little silly, perhaps, but likely to be easily salable to the audiences that make CSI and Law and Order monster pieces of programming.

David Goyer isn't the one giving Snyder orders, it's the other way around. While Snyder's had problems with WB, he wasn't their puppet director he had a lot of control over his movies and the DCEU. Superman snapping Zod's neck? Snyder was one of its creators and biggest supporters.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/03/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-of-steel/

The earliest in-depth response came a few days after the film was released, in an interview with the Empire Film podcast. In it Snyder, and writer David S. Goyer (who should not be let off the hook for this either), talk a lot about how that ending came to be. And it doesn't make anyone sound great.

Here's what Snyder said in 2013 about Superman killing Zod:

In the original version of the script, he just got zapped into the Phantom Zone. David [S. Goyer] and I had long talked about it, and Chris [Nolan] and I talked long about it. And I was like, "I really think he should kill Zod, and I really feel like Superman should kill him."
This account is backed up by Goyer, who, in the same podcast, said that Nolan told them there was no way they could have that ending. He flat out told them not to write it. Goyer added that they talked to people at DC who told them "No way. No way." Which Goyer and Snyder apparently didn't see as a logical reading of the character, and more of a challenge to find the one situation where Superman would kill. Snyder said, later in the Empire podcast, "I just felt like we were able to create this scenario where either Superman is going to see these people get chopped in half or he's gotta do what he's gotta do."

Rovan may have wanted the movies to be like the Dark Knight trilogy's tone, instead he got grim dark murder heroes living in a hellscape that made Nolan's Gotham City appear not so bad.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Rogan may have wanted the movies to be like the Dark Knight trilogy's tone, instead he got grim dark murder heroes living in a hellscape that made Nolan's Gotham City appear not so bad.
Snyder on JRE, when?

I get what you're saying but I don't think Titanic counts as a film franchise.
MV5BMTMxMjQ1MjA5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjIzNjg1Mw@@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
WB has to be giving Wan the sweetheart deal that Nolan has at this point right? They just need to sit back and not interfere and those directors will make bank.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Scripts aren't static, they get heavily altered once production is done then altered on-set by writers. The script for Russell Crowe's Robin Hood was a good example of this, it was a completely different concept to what they made.

https://www.slashfilm.com/how-nottingham-became-robin-hood-screenwriter-tells-part-of-the-story/

David Goyer isn't the one giving Snyder orders, it's the other way around. While Snyder's had problems with WB, he wasn't their puppet director he had a lot of control over his movies and the DCEU. Superman snapping Zod's neck? Snyder was one of its creators and biggest supporters.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/03/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-of-steel/

Rovan may have wanted the movies to be like the Dark Knight trilogy's tone, instead he got grim dark murder heroes living in a hellscape that made Nolan's Gotham City appear not so bad.

It's odd to break out an anecdote about a Robin Hood movie from nine years ago explaining standard practice to counter the point that in MoS' case, it was Goyer's script. MoS' production wasn't an ordinary situation. Even the second link you get, a snide article from Kotaku of all places, mentions Goyer wanting and agreeing with the decision but apprehensive of if they'll allow it. Same blurb has the lame wording of not letting Goyer "off the hook" for a decision in a movie from three years prior to its writing. Like these dudes are on trial. Most of all, it misses the point of saying y'all try to scapegoat all the problems of a movies onto one person. That's not how these movies are made, be they small or large scale. Film making is a collaborate process. There's always this weird under currant with directors on nerd properties that takes it to a personal level. Be it Snyder, Lucas, Rian Johnson, Paul Feig, etc. Seems like it's gotten worse nowadays. People were more sensible about how Last Temptation of Christ handled Jesus than dudes are about Superman and Luke Skywalker.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
throw in suicide squad , it would have done a billion easy if it was any good , the marketing was superb

Erm, no it wouldn't have. Suicide Squad did $750m without a Chinese release, a billion was never on the table without that market.

Flash is coming out as is Batman. It's taking longer than expected due to scheduling of other things, but they are happening.

Justice League has been almost completely swept under the rug. If Aquaman has proven anything, it's that the general public has completely forgotten about it. Only places like Era that are deep into this stuff continue on as though it's this irredeemable black spot that they need to wait 15 years before trying trying again.

Aquaman is about to do a billi at the box office; Wonder Woman and Batman have a very real chance at doing the same by 2020. Should that happen, no way does a Justice League movie not become a priority for WB. The only reason it isn't right now is the last one came out last year and they're making other shit right now.

tx2wke7.gif

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious what the situation with Suicide Squad 2 will be. From the sounds of things, I guess James Gunn is writing it from 'scratch' and the previous scripts (two, I believe) are binned. So 2021 at the soonest.

It's well documented that Nolan was vehemently against the snap. Goyer/Nolan originally script/story had the movie end with Zod sent back through the singularity. Snyder had to say persuade Nolan that he could make the snap work. Nolan's instincts were 100% correct. I wish he made the movie instead.

Nolan was making The Dark Knight Rises at the time. There literally wasn't time for him to make it. WB needed a Superman movie out to keep the rights. It's also forgotten that Man of Steel was original a late 2012 movie.

Oct 28, 2017
It's odd to break out an anecdote about a Robin Hood movie from nine years ago explaining standard practice to counter the point that in MoS' case, it was Goyer's script. MoS' production wasn't an ordinary situation. Even the second link you get, a snide article from Kotaku of all places, mentions Goyer wanting and agreeing with the decision but apprehensive of if they'll allow it. Same blurb has the lame wording of not letting Goyer "off the hook" for a decision in a movie from three years prior to its writing. Like these dudes are on trial. Most of all, it misses the point of saying y'all try to scapegoat all the problems of a movies onto one person. That's not how these movies are made, be they small or large scale. Film making is a collaborate process. There's always this weird under currant with directors on nerd properties that takes it to a personal level. Be it Snyder, Lucas, Rian Johnson, Paul Feig, etc. Seems like it's gotten worse nowadays. People were more sensible about how Last Temptation of Christ handled Jesus than dudes are about Superman and Luke Skywalker.

It's well documented that Nolan was vehemently against the snap. Goyer/Nolans original script/story had the movie end with Zod sent back through the singularity. Snyder had to say persuade Nolan that he could make the snap work. Nolan's instincts were 100% correct. I wish he made the movie instead.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Snyder thought there needed to be an origin story explanation for Superman's aversion to killing people kind of says it all.

Oct 31, 2017
If Marvel's head honcho Kevin Feige went to watch Aquaman and wants Gunn and DC to succeed, why can't internet nerds do the same and just enjoy good movies? I'm willing to bet over 50% of the GA does not know Avengers doesn't belong to DC or Batman doesn't belong to Marvel. A rising tide lifts all boats.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that Snyder thought there needed to be an origin story explanation for Superman's aversion to killing people kind of says it all.

It's not merely aversion to killing. It's about killing the last of his own people, and cutting out the last link to a heritage he searched for his entire life, in order to save his adopted people. It's...handled poorly, to put it lightly.

If Marvel's head honcho Kevin Feige went to watch Aquaman and wants Gunn and DC to succeed, why can't internet nerds do the same and just enjoy good movies? I'm willing to bet over 50% of the GA does not know Avengers doesn't belong to DC or Batman doesn't belong to Marvel. A rising tide lifts all boats.

No. Can't be.

"One shall stand, one shall fall." - Old Transformers Proverb

Oct 31, 2017
They blew two massive opportunities just because they couldn't wait to release BvS and JL and because they hired a deeply flawed filmmaker to spearhead the whole universe. What a huge fuckup. Guess they can try Justice League 2, but they only had one shot at Batman vs Superman.

There are plenty of CBM I feel should have done a bil if handled correctly, especially post Avengers.

Justice League
BvS
Suicide Squad
X-Men
Spider-Man
And FF should have done SS/GoTG numbers, at least

I feel GoTG2 could have done it as well if not for the strong dollar at the time. Thor also could have done it, but had to recover from Thor 2, which was mediocre. I also feel like Sony and WB's marketing is inifinitely superior to Disney/Marvel. I think FFH will clear a bil, especially if the marketing in China is on point as Venom was.

With the way the international market has expanded (especially China) and domestic pricing, more and more movies will be clearing 1B. With Aquaman there will be 37 1B+ movies. Out of that, 18 have come in the past 4 years. 2019 is looking to set a record for 1B+ movies.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not merely aversion to killing. It's about killing the last of his own people, and cutting out the last link to a heritage he searched for his entire life, in order to save his adopted people. It's...handled poorly, to put it lightly.

Yea, and just moments before he rips a hole through the hull of the ship capable of harvesting Kryptonian embryos. "Krypton had its chance" Movie is dumb as shit.

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of CBM I feel should have done a bil if handled correctly, especially post Avengers.

Justice League
BvS
Suicide Squad
X-Men
Spider-Man
And FF should have done SS/GoTG numbers, at least

I feel GoTG2 could have done it as well if not for the strong dollar at the time. Thor also could have done it, but had to recover from Thor 2, which was mediocre. I also feel like Sony and WB's marketing is inifinitely superior to Disney/Marvel. I think FFH will clear a bil, especially if the marketing in China is on point as Venom was.

With the way the international market has expanded (especially China) and domestic pricing, more and more movies will be clearing 1B. With Aquaman there will be 37 1B+ movies. Out of that, 18 have come in the past 4 years. 2019 is looking to set a record for 1B+ movies.
I wouldn't put Suicide Squad on that list. It already did almost 800 without a China release.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Wachowski's would have ended up making the Flash movie . It would have been , for the very least, the most visually inventive movie of the current comic boom .

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Erm, no it wouldn't have. Suicide Squad did $750m without a Chinese release, a billion was never on the table without that market.

tx2wke7.gif
I wouldn't put Suicide Squad on that list. It already did almost 800 without a China release.

suicide squad had terrible word of mouth
if people actually liked it and it was quality , a billion was definetely in play for it,

the marketing resonated bigly in america and europe , the film itself did not

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Who is gonna fill the Kevin Feige role in the animated spiderverse tho. Lord and Miller?

Oct 27, 2017
suicide squad had terrible word of mouth
if people actually liked it and it was quality , a billion was definetely in play for it,

the marketing resonated bigly in america and europe , the film itself did not
It definitely would've gotten closer with good WOM, but I'm not sure it would have hit the mark. China is just too big a market to ignore. The only franchise that can get away with it is Star Wars and Batman.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Just got back from seeing Aquaman for the 2nd time. (Liked it more this time than the first somehow)

Is it too early to say that DC solo movies (based on Wonder Woman & Aquaman) have a higher ceiling than Marvel solo movies? As far as 💰 goes of course.

Wonder Woman made less than all of 2017 and 2018 MCU except for Ant Man and the Wasp, so that's not the best example.

Oct 31, 2017
Spider-Verse was a masterpiece but I'll wait and see what Sony does next before I start singing their praises. Basically since Spider-Man 2 in 2004 they've spent 14 years mismanaging the property. Venom was goofy fun but it gave no indication that they righted the ship. I honestly think since Spider-Verse was an animated film the producers/executives that usually give bad notes were either too confused by the process or disinterested that they just left them alone. I hope I'm wrong and Morbius is a great movie.

Yeah, it's strange to see people here acting like Sony has some great vision for Spider-Man that Marvel Comics own film studio themselves lack and it's completely revisionist bullshit.

Sony fucked up Spider-Man so much that they were forced to license the character back to Marvel and were forced to push other characters within the Spider-Man license like Venom getting his own movie and making an animated Spider-Man film-

It's not like Sony naturally arrived at the idea of a Spider-Man film featuring Miles Morales; Lord and Miller pitched it and Sony was smart enough to get out of their way. How much credit do they deserve for that? I'd argue very fucking little after squandering and mis-managing the license so bad for so long.

Had Sony had their way- Peter Parker would still be played by a 35 year old acting as a early 20s "everyman who was given powers meant for him by his secret agent super scientist father" fighting a Sinister Six who would have all gotten their own films, likely with the quality of "Venom".

Sony has their head up their ass when it comes to Spider-Man. The best thing the ever did with the property was getting out of Lord, Miller & Rothman's way unlike when they forced Venom into Spider-Man 3. Again, they deserve little credit for letting other people make something amazing after first consistently putting out pure shit with the Spider-Man property.

As far people complaining that Spider-Man gets to play in the MCU; the character has always been one amongst many superheroes that interact with each other; Never in Marvel Comics books has Spider-Man been the only superhero in NYC or the entire world. Spider-Man in the MCU is a great thing and much better and true to the character than anything the powers at Sony have ever dreamt up themselves.

and Spider-Man 2 is so ridiculously overrated. It's a shit Spider-Man film with a neutered Doc Ock, mute Spidey, crybaby Peter Parker and nearly identical "bad guy takes Mary Jane hostage" climax as the first movie. The first Spider-Man is a much better Spider-Man film.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It did better domestically than all except IW and BP. There's probably still some overseas markets that wouldn't be too excited about a female led superhero flick.

You can't cherry pick territories to make an argument though. Domestically, Aquaman will do well, but not be anything all that special either. So either way, I don't think that you can combine the two to make sweeping statements.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't cherry pick territories to make an argument though. Domestically, Aquaman will do well, but not be anything all that special either. So either way, I don't think that you can combine the two to make sweeping statements.
True, but then you can also make the argument that her first ever solo film did almost as good as Thor's third and Spider-Man's sixth.

Oct 31, 2017
It definitely would've gotten closer with good WOM, but I'm not sure it would have hit the mark. China is just too big a market to ignore. The only franchise that can get away with it is Star Wars and Batman.

Avengers hit a billion without China every single time and unless Avatar has completely dropped in popularity (I personally doubt it after I visited Pandora this past year), that's another franchise that can hit it without China. Your point still stands though, China's BO is just too big and will only get bigger in the next few years. The Batman's performance will be interesting to see at the BO. I'm looking forward to that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
In the end, Venom was probably a big help for Spider-Verse because Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach were likely too busy on that garbage to meddle in Spider-Verse, which was overseen by Lord, Miller, and Pascal instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Avengers hit a billion without China every single time and unless Avatar has completely dropped in popularity (I personally doubt it after I visited Pandora this past year), that's another franchise that can hit it without China. Your point still stands though, China's BO is just too big and will only get bigger in the next few years. The Batman's performance will be interesting to see at the BO. I'm looking forward to that.
You're right. Forgot about those.

I think a good Batman film easily hits a billion. Especially with the growth of the overseas market this past decade.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In the end, Venom was probably a big help for Spider-Verse because Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach were likely too busy on that garbage to meddle in Spider-Verse, which was overseen by Lord, Miller, and Pascal instead.

I'd be 100% down for an ongoing 30% RT MorbiusVerse if it keeps the Spider-Verse in Lord & Miller's hands.

Oct 31, 2017
I definitely think people are getting a bit carried away with DC's characters have more pull and higher ceiling/higher floor than Marvel's. The market is changing and there are opportunities to be had. For instance, Venom's first movie did better than Wonder Woman and Thor 3 and almost as good as a 2nd GoTG and SM:H for instance.

EDIT: I want to see a random unknown DC character or ensemble movie a la GoTG and Ant Man. Shazam was already known before his movie. Give me an obscure one.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
True, but then you can also make the argument that her first ever solo film did almost as good as Thor's third and Spider-Man's sixth.

Homecoming was coming off a shit sandwich, so Far From Home's business next summer will be interesting to watch. If it goes up significantly, Homecoming could be a Batman Begins type deal (to a lesser extent. Not expecting 600M domestic for FFH). If not, maybe a section of people are getting bored of Spider-man films. Even Spider-man 3 would have been around $450M by today's standards. It was the biggest film of the year domestically in 2007.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone talking comic book movies over here, and frankly I'm just sitting here being glad that Escape Room did decent numbers and hoping it gets the sequel they set up. The movie was way more fun than it had any right to be, I honestly enjoyed it more than most things I've seen recently.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think people are getting a bit carried away with DC's characters have more pull and higher ceiling/higher floor than Marvel's. The market is changing and there are opportunities to be had. For instance, Venom's first movie did better than Wonder Woman and Thor 3 and almost as good as a 2nd GoTG and SM:H for instance.

EDIT: I want to see a random unknown DC character or ensemble movie a la GoTG and Ant Man. Shazam was already known before his movie. Give me an obscure one.
Time for a Gold Booster and Blue Beetle movie.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only 3 people on the Internet that likes both MCU and DCEU movies
I at least like every MCU movie besides Thor 2 which I fell asleep twice trying to finish, really enjoyed Wonder Woman, am excited to see Aquaman this week, and am hyped for the future of both
Never been a better time to be a fan of comic book movies

Status
Not open for further replies.