• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I just found out BoP is r-rated and am very confused, the advertising made it look like an ideal teen movie, a typical comic book team up with some jokes. Why the hell do you need an r rating to tell that story the 50th time.

E - well I caught up in the thread and I guess i'm just the 90th person to have that thought

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Still have no idea about what this movie is about even after watching the trailers, yet I have heard so much about it over the past few weeks. But the only thing I heard about it is that it's "fun" and that it has f-bombs. That's it. I don't bet on good word of mouth if being fun is the only thing it has going for it.

A r-rating is also completely nonsensical and probably the biggest reason it underperformed. It's teenage girls that are all about this version of Harley Quinn not adult women.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Still have no idea about what this movie is about even after watching the trailers, yet I have heard so much about it over the past few weeks. But the only thing I heard about it is that it's "fun" and that it has f-bombs. That's it. I don't bet on good word of mouth if being fun is the only thing it has going for it.

A r-rating is also completely nonsensical and probably the biggest reason it underperformed. It's teenage girls that are all about this version of Harley Quinn not adult women.

No kidding. DC has gone over the top trying to turn HQ into Squirrel Girl for a while, to the point of having her in the Super Hero Girls line, and then suddenly nope she's scantily clad Deadpool.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Here's the best description of BoP that most people who liked it would agree:

Imo, that R rating was put to good use.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Here's the best description of BoP that most people who liked it would agree:

Imo, that R rating was put to good use.

Early screenings suggest that moviegoers were 60% male. For people over 25 men were in the clear majority. So something went wrong as they didn't manage to appeal to their target audience at all, at least for now.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no lol

I'm not crazy enough to go that far with any box office bet

giphy.gif

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Suicide Squad came out in 2016. Not sure how much of a factor the R-rating would be to its "younger" fans, since most of the people who were old enough to watch a PG-13 movie in 2016 are now old enough to watch an R-movie in 2020.

Personally, Harley was one of my least favorite things about Suicide Squad (in a movie full of bad, annoying things). I didn't like her character at all. I've actually been wanting a Birds of Prey movie for years because I've always dug the characters, but putting Harley front and center of this and making it her movie turns me off, even with all the glowing reviews and impressions.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
BOP barely even uses its R-Rating. Would have been PG-13 with a little bleeping and minus one drawing of a dick. Pretty wasted opportunity there.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Harley alone isn't enough to garner interest when you

A. Have no other recognizable characters
B. The characters you do have don't look interesting

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You can't garner interest with Harley when you don't put her damn name front and center in the title.
How do people not know this is a Harley Quinn movie

It's only called Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn

You only have to get through like nine words before you get to Harley Quinn

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know who the little girl is suppose to be

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still don't know who the little girl is suppose to be
What do you mean? Don't you recognize Cammi, Marvel's plucky little runaway?
CassandraCain.jpg

Cammi-Marvel-Comics-Drax-a.jpg

I'm honestly surprised Marvel was okay letting DC borrow their character. I guess stranger things have...

... huh? What's that? ... Not Cammi? ... CASSANDRA CAIN?...

... Well, I'll be darned.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Should have been called Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey

Might not have helped much but that title would be more accurate

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Needed a better title, better marketing and not be R rated.

Sonic is gonna beat this next week and I'm gonna go insane.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
WB: No Babs because DCEU and Reeves Batman.

Reeves: I wasn't gonna use her.

*also remembers DCEU isn't a thing anymore*

WB:
ElasticSeriousAngelfish-size_restricted.gif

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Needed a better title, better marketing and not be R rated.

Sonic is gonna beat this next week and I'm gonna go insane.
I'm so here for it.

I liked Birds of Prey but Sonic is the movie I've been hoping for since I was six years old.

On a side note, the 5-year-old my fiancée nannies for really wants to see it, and he's never played any of the games, seen any of the cartoons etc. He just likes the trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.