• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
BOX OFFICE CONTEST: Predict the Top 5 Domestic Movies of 2019

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Wz7EuCv.png

Y6OJ7CC.png

mhEbWJn.png

PflpwL5.png

Oeh2wOP.png

'Glass' Now Looking At Third-Best MLK Weekend Opening With $47M+

Glass, like a horror movie, was front-loaded in regards to its $14.6M Saturday being down 9% from its $16M opening (which included previews). This is a different path from M. Night Shyamalan's previous film Split which saw a 13% spike between the two days going from $14.6M to $16.5M.

This puts Glass at a 4-day that's under $50M at $47M per Universal. Some think the Blumhouse/BVI production can still hit $50M in four days which would be spot on at the end of Uni's projections. We deep-dived below how the industry placed high expectations on Glass as they saw a 4-day of $60M-$70M and avoided competing any new fresh product against the film. Rivals were working off the gas from Split, however, Universal knew this was always the neighborhood for the film. Glass if it sticks to the studio's projections will be the the third best MLK opener behind American Sniper ($107.2M) and Ride Along ($48.6M), and Shyamalan's third best opening over 3-days with $40.5M. There's a lot of No. 1 back-slapping records going around, and we'll list those again soon, but there is a deflated feeling. Overseas is $48.5M from BVI, with Glass at $89.1M worldwide through Sunday, $95.5M counting domestic's full MLK four-day run.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Glass - $89M

Aquaman - $1.063B
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $455M
Bumblebee - $412M
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - $323M
Mary Poppins Returns - $306M
Creed 2 - $175M
Dragon Ball Super: Broly - $78M
Escape Room - $54M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman still trundling on, up to 27th on all time WW.

DB is great, that canon broly thirst. Going to see it next week.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its gonna be BvS all over again with Glass. WoM is BRUTAL.

And I remember long ago when the DB fanbase as a whole bashed Broly for being a crap character "only 12 year olds liked."

There are a lot of 12 year olds, it seems.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
fucking funimation

broly close to the highest grossing anime movie of all time

dbzbrolyboxoffic05kjz.png

LOOK AT THAT THEATER COUNT

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Reviews really hurt Glass it seems. I wonder why they lifted the embargo so early. M. Night is still gonna make bank with this of course.

Spider-Verse is still in Lego Batman territory. Has it opened everywhere yet?

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Next weekend, Aquaman passes TDKR to become the new DC superhero high water mark for worldwide grosses.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when y'all were freaking out about 'Verse? I did tell you that it was doing well then, and it's still doing well now.

lol, Broly.

On the Basis of Sex is having the type of run that Beale Street should have had in a perfect world.

Cold War is doing really well for itself, despite nearly quadroupling its theatre count the PTA stayed roughly the same.

Stan & Ollie expanded solidly if on the soft side

RIP Annapurna update:
Destroyer is doing okay, even if it also expanded softly.
Beale street is just not catching on, not a disasterous drop but not a good one either.
Vice is starting to drop, and it's not gonna come close to recouping the $60M pricetag

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if Dragonball would be higher if all the theaters around me didn't reduce it's screenings on Friday and through the weekend.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
And I remember long ago when the DB fanbase as a whole bashed Broly for being a crap character "only 12 year olds liked."

Original Broly was lame as fuck. His entire character revolved around being angry because Goku cried as a baby.

Wonder if Dragonball would be higher if all the theaters around me didn't reduce it's screenings on Friday and through the weekend.
The theater I go to had one screening Friday then back to a bunch of screenings yesterday and today. It's an odd situation.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I knew that Funimation should have just made this a normal release. If they released this next weekend, it would have probably been number 1.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its gonna be BvS all over again with Glass. WoM is BRUTAL.

All it takes is remaking the character from the ground up to not be motivated by a crying infant.

Nov 1, 2017
One of the AMC theaters that I frequent...has 26 showings of Broly today.

I'm going to go see it today and see it that goes!

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
I know I would have gone to see Dragon Ball yesterday after work but the only theater that had already showed it. Currently planning to see it Wednesday at a theater that's a hour away 🙄

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it a limited run?
I'm actually not sure how to classify it. My theater has five screenings a day up through Thursday, but the only thing they have scheduled after that is The Kid Who Would Be King. It's definitely not a limited event thing like the past movies because it isn't running through Fathom.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'll bring this up again, but I really wish there was a state-by-state breakdown of gross within the US. Just to see how certain parts of the US respond to a movie compared to others.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Glass did fine. Maybe reviews hurt it a bit but Unbreakable is 20 years old and wasn't a big deal back then so I'm not sure why many expected a $60-$70m 4-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.