• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Feige making sure he has Chris Evans on speed dial. Disney/Marvel need to understand that it's not the franchise people are necessarily invested in, it's the characters we've known since 2008 - the characters they've largely retired and killed off now. They need to temper expectations.

How long will Pine and Hemsworth be doing this? Once they're done, it's a wrap.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Feige making sure he has Chris Evans on speed dial. Disney/Marvel need to understand that it's not the franchise people are necessarily invested in, it's the characters we've known since 2008 - the characters they've largely retired and killed off now. They need to temper expectations.

Chris Pine?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This "The MCU is over now that the white guys left" narrative needs to die.

Shang-Chi was only a couple months ago. And Eternals is doing ok even if a bit dissapointing

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, those characters didn't become household names overnight, and Shang-Chi was a bonafide hit so even if Eternals doesn't hit the same way it's too early to say that people only care about Marvel's previous characters.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, those characters didn't become household names overnight, and Shang-Chi was a bonafide hit so even if Eternals doesn't hit the same way it's too early to say that people only care about Marvel's previous characters.

I loved Shang-Chi, but we're being dishonest I fear if we're suggesting that any of these newer additions to the MCU will reach the public recognition of the likes of Cap and Iron Man. If anything, it could be argued that the success of the Avengers only reinforced the perception that MCU = Cap/Iron Man, and thus weakens the public desire for this franchise post-Endgame.

Black Panther 2's numbers will be really interesting to watch. Even more so, whether Feige has any plans for a third instalment.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Eternals first weekend has done better than the first Captain America movie, and the first Thor, and the first Ant-Man. Based on Eternals success so far, a 2nd movie wouldn't surprise me.

Those numbers are not bad, especially when compared to current competition. Even mediocre MCU movies are money makers so we're going to have to see much much worse numbers than $71M first weekend before we see a MCU slow down.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Shang-Chi, but we're being dishonest I fear if we're suggesting that any of these newer additions to the MCU will reach the public recognition of the likes of Cap and Iron Man. If anything, it could be argued that the success of the Avengers only reinforced the perception that MCU = Cap/Iron Man, and thus weakens the public desire for this franchise post-Endgame.

Black Panther 2's numbers will be really interesting to watch. Even more so, whether Feige has any plans for a third instalment.

Please tell me you're not serious.

By that logic, the guardians shouldn't have been a hit.

And are you kidding me on Black Panther not getting a third movie?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're doing a racism.

Oct 28, 2017
Please tell me you're not serious.

By that logic, the guardians shouldn't have been a hit.

And are you kidding me on Black Panther not getting a third movie?

I don't think the possibility of surprise hits (in the form of GotG or Black Panther) necessarily make my hypothesis wrong, though. Good movies, with good worth of mouth, will always draw in good box office numbers.

However, I do not believe the idea that Marvel have a magic formula, whereby they can continuously build up to some kind of ensemble set-piece with Avengers-level of interest. And I think that is partly down to my suspicion that the public consciousness has linked the MCU to Chris Evans, Chadwick Boseman, RDJ etc, and partly down to some of that success being driven by the MCU reaching peak popular culture (as opposed to Oscar winning storytelling) by Endgame.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that this is proving to be such a controversial stance.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't think the possibility of surprise hits (in the form of GotG or Black Panther) necessarily make my hypothesis wrong, though. Good movies, with good worth of mouth, will always draw in good box office numbers. I do not believe the idea that Marvel have a magic formula, however, whereby they can continuously build up to some kind of ensemble set-piece like the Avengers, and expect a similar level of interest. And I think that is partly down to my suspicion that the public consciousness has inexplicably linked the MCU to Chris Evans, Chadwick Boseman, RDJ etc

There's been quite a bit of surprise hits.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's odd that you aren't wondering if Ant-Man or Dr. Strange will or should get further sequels, despite having lower numbers.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

This take is pretty damn sus.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
It's odd that you aren't wondering if Ant-Man or Dr. Strange will or should get further sequels, despite having lower numbers.
BINGO!

White People, and their stories pretty much never need justification. Whereas we POC incessantly have to prove that we deserve a place at the table!

SMFH

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We should be getting some early Friday numbers soon for Eternals. Should tell us what the 2nd weekend drop will be like.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bombaternals...

It's fine.

What came out this week?
sit-down-clifford.gif

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a rework of Eternals similar to what we got for Thor for their next go. The only reason for them to drop it would be if they want to focus on Xmen, F4, and other franchises they just got back. But there is more money in the long run to give it another shot and hope it sticks.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a rework of Eternals similar to what we got for Thor for their next go. The only reason for them to drop it would be if they want to focus on Xmen, F4, and other franchises they just got back. But there is more money in the long run to give it another shot and hope it sticks.

It'll naturally be a tighter script with all the leg work having been done already.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm saddened the X-Men universe won't really be the main focus. My favorite Marvel property 😭

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
deadline.com

‘Eternals’ Powers $27M+ Second Weekend; ‘Clifford’ Louder With $22M 5-Day: Is Theatrical Hybrid Model Really The Answer For Family Movies? – Update

Sunday AM Writethru: After Saturday AM update…Despite the worst reviews ever for a Marvel movie, and a B CinemaScore, the second weekend of Disney/Marvel’s Eternals didn’t implode, hitting $27.5M for the weekend, very close to where we saw it yesterday morning. That’s a -61% decline from its...

Despite the worst reviews for a Marvel movie, and a B CinemaScore, the second weekend of Disney/Marvel's Eternals didn't implode, now on track for a -62% weekend, which is on the high end of where we were expecting it with $27.4M. The pic made $7.8M yesterday, -75%. Through ten days, the Chloe Zhao directed movie will stand at an estimated $118.7M.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Please no

I want another Eternals, but I'd rather they not go full meme like Ragnarok

If they're not going to keep it in line with the first film, tonally, they can keep it