• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
variety.com

Can ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ Dethrone Reigning Box Office Champ ‘Shang-Chi’?

"Dear Evan Hansen" and "Shang-Chi" will be vying for the top spot on box office charts.

The Universal film, which sees Ben Platt reprising his Tony-winning role, is projected to debut to approximately $10 million from 3,300 North American cinemas. It's the only new film to open nationwide this weekend. Box office tracking, even in pre-pandemic times, can be unreliable, and musicals have proven to have mixed track records in theaters, so industry experts have indicated that a start in the high single digits wouldn't be unexpected.

An opening weekend haul below $10 million isn't ideal for any major studio release. However, "Dear Evan Hansen" carries a modest $28 million production budget, meaning it doesn't need to sell as many tickets to turn a profit. That's good news, because the film has been skewered by critics (it has a 43% on Rotten Tomatoes), many of whom criticized the plot and the decision to cast the 27-year-old Platt as a high school teenager.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
deadline.com

‘Clifford The Big Red Dog’ Returns To Q4 Release Schedule, Will Go Day & Date In Theaters & On Paramount+

EXCLUSIVE: In the wake of being quite content with the theatrical and Paramount+ day-and-date release of Paw Patrol, the studio is putting the eOne/New Republic Pictures feature Clifford: The Big Red Dog back on the calendar for Wednesday, Nov. 10 in both theaters and on the ViacomCBS streaming...

In the wake of being quite content with the theatrical and Paramount+ day-and-date release of Paw Patrol, the studio is putting the eOne/New Republic Pictures feature Clifford: The Big Red Dog back on the calendar for Nov. 10 in both theaters and on the ViacomCBS streaming service.

The decision is also due to the ongoing pandemic, the safety for kids 6-11–Clifford's main demo and changing consumer behavior.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Saw that Dear Evan Hansen got the IMAX treatment while checking local showtimes just now. Was not expecting that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dune seems to be doing real good.

WB greenlit a sequel to Fury Road despite that movie only grossing 375M on a similar budget, and despite having a troubled, protracted development. WB really greenlights all kinds of stuff. :P

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I think the rose of streaming changes the game a bit. If dune can pull 350-400 million WW and also perform decently HBO max that's a pretty solid result.

Also I think prestige movies have an even greater place now when it comes to selling streaming services.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I think the rose of streaming changes the game a bit. If dune can pull 350-400 million WW and also perform decently HBO max that's a pretty solid result.

Also I think prestige movies have an even greater place now when it comes to selling streaming services.
Agreed. Dune has the potential to be a franchise that Warners can adapt in a multitude of ways/mediums for HBO Max. I for sure think it's getting a sequel. I'm also more bullish on its BO performance than most :)

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Is this good or bad?

Higher than Cats' Thursday, so that's a small victory.

deadline.com

‘Shang-Chi’ Is The Highest-Grossing Pic At Pandemic Domestic B.O.; ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ Still Weeping With $7.5M – Sunday Update

Sunday Early AM Writethru w/chart: Disney-Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is coming in ahead of industry estimates of $12.8M for its fourth No. 1 weekend, with $13.3M. As we told you earlier, thanks to the pic’s $3.6M Friday, Shang-Chi has become the highest-grossing movie at...

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Wake me up when we get to next weekend. That's when the real box office chaos occurs. We all knew this result was coming.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not willing to make that bet without at least seeing a trailer for Mario. Could go either way.

Although I'm still not convinced everyone stays in their release date until either plans are reaffirmed that quarter or things get better than they are now.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Y'all. Sony is using fan tweets in promos (and used the same source twice). 17% RT. My Dune outgrossing this take doesn't seem that outlandish anymore...

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to believe Venom is in trouble until we get closer to the end of next week and tracking really kicks in.

But man, the fallout at Sony if Venom 2 goes wrong.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
venom 2 is critic proof, i think people are predicting 60-70 based off presales, and that's always where i thought it would land too.