• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Black Widow International cume goes isn't it facing more theater closures and capacity restrictions compared to F9 due to delta surges? Obviously premier access is a factor as well, but that is definitely a big headwind that will make everything a moving target the next few months as pandemic switches to a non-one size fits all period (lot of gray in the coming months).

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I think pretty much every blockbuster is going to be front loaded for the foreseeable future.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I hope Space Jam continues to do well and they can get some sort of Looney Tunes sequel film out relatively quickly. I'd rather not have a repeat of all the original's sequels being cancelled and then enough time passing that they needed to do yet another reboot to get a film franchise out of it. And then that reboot failing.

Having grown up with the original film, and then watching it again recently, Space Jam 2 is better in pretty much every way (except for a lack of Bill Murray).

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Space Jam continues to do well and they can get some sort of Looney Tunes sequel film out relatively quickly. I'd rather not have a repeat of all the original's sequels being cancelled and then enough time passing that they needed to do yet another reboot to get a film franchise out of it. And then that reboot failing.

Having grown up with the original film, and then watching it again recently, Space Jam 2 is better in pretty much every way (except for a lack of Bill Murray).
I would like see Stephen Curry lead a sequel with a better Director

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question… do kids even watch looney tunes any more?? My kid is too young, but back when space jam came out, bugs and them were very popular.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Aaaaand here comes the finger pointing over Black Widow.
Scoff all you want, but the article says that a torrent tracker is claiming that BW was the most pirated movie last week, it's pretty much game over at this point now. 😢

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Quick question… do kids even watch looney tunes any more?? My kid is too young, but back when space jam came out, bugs and them were very popular.

The popularity of Looney Tunes has been tied to easy accessibility of the classic shorts. When the first Space Jam was released, they were on like 4 or 5 different networks. Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network had their own Looney Tunes programs, and even the Disney Channel would run the anthology movies from time to time.

In the 2000's, AOL-owned WB decided that none of their animated properties had value except for Scooby Doo and DC, and let them fall out of the public eye. The classic cartoons were shunted to Boomerang, and then left TV altogether.

WB has really been putting in the effort into undoing the damage, since they not only made this and the new cartoons, but most of the classic shorts are on HBO Max now.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
F9 has been quietly holding quite well since the 2nd weekend drop. I suspect similar things will happen to Black Widow though it's really the OS gross that's disappointing.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Scoff all you want, but the article says that a torrent tracker is claiming that BW was the most pirated movie last week, it's pretty much game over at this point now. 😢

Theater owners were never going to praise Premiere Access. They were always going to finger point.

Worry more about how Disney feels. Because they're the ones that actually are going to make the decision to continue.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
From Deadline, update on that pure profit from Disney +

A correction to my analysis from last weekend: Disney doesn't get 100% of their Disney+ Premier revenue many studio financial sources have informed me. On a PVOD release, they have to share ~15% of the revenues with platform providers such as Amazon Firestick, AppleTV+, etc. So that $60M global PVOD hooray last weekend is really around an estimated net $51M back to Disney. While it's not as steep as the 40% they have to hand over to exhibition, once again, Disney is burning through an ancillary window faster and bound to walk away with less money in the end than they typically would on a regular theatrical release.

deadline.com

‘Black Widow’ Posts Steepest 2nd Weekend B.O. Drop For Disney MCU Title; Studio Silent On PVOD Update As Piracy Impacts Pic

If Disney keeps up this whole theatrical-PVOD day-and-date model, maybe it won’t be so scary for rival studios in the future to follow a Marvel movie during its second weekend at the box offi…

Oct 29, 2017
Space Jam is going to have an big drop off. The big issue with the movie is the forced implementation of the rest of Warner's IP. Lebron and the actors did fine. But Lego movie and South Park did this better.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's nearly impossible to really know what any of these box office numbers mean right now. We're still in a pandemic, where there are still plenty of vaccinated people who don't feel comfortable going to the theater, and the film is also available to watch from home on Disney+.

This is unprecedented territory.

Theater owners were never going to praise Premiere Access. They were always going to finger point.

Right. But now they have valid reasoning to finger point.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017

Worry more about how Disney feels. Because they're the ones that actually are going to make the decision to continue.
I feel their silence regarding Premier Access after touting it last week is likely a little telling.

Plus everything ZeoVGM said. We're in the WIld West here in release models, theaters opening and closing in various countries, and general comfort level.

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017

Theres's been a Wile E. Coyote movie in development for a couple a years that's made some recent big moves to being finally made, now has a 2023 date set and James Gunn did a pass on the script

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
the bad news is that exhibitors have exactly zero leverage against disney. Of course deadline would call their 40% cut "steep" lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda unrelated but lately I've been looking at Nielsen's streaming numbers and it's hard to ignore how much of a monster Moana is for Disney+. It is most streamed non new release movie in the US. Destroys Frozen 1 and 2 combined.

Last edited:

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
I think people should brace themselves for this "day and date" experiment coming to an end, though the window from theater to streaming will be the smallest it's ever been.
Yeah feel if studios were fully seeing what they wanted from day and date streaming to cut out theaters they would be much more vocal of its success. Otherwise you let exhibitors & box office numbers set the narrative, can't just do the Netflix thing of only vague engagement numbers since there are other public barometers you are dealing with.

Still getting a smaller window is definitely a victory for the studio's and people who don't want to go the theater.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Kinda unrelated but lately I've been looking at Nielsen's streaming numbers and it's hard to ignore how much of a monster Moana is for Disney+. It is most streamed non new release movie in the US. Destroys Frozen 1 and 2 combined.
Luca blew up big in the most recent one too

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Luca’ Leads Nielsen Movie Streaming Rankings With Huge Launch

The family film almost tied with fellow Pixar title 'Soul' in terms of viewership during its first weekend of play in late June.

Pixar's latest offering Luca impressed in its debut on Disney+, according to Nielsen's latest streaming ratings.

The family film easily topped the list of the top 10 most watched movies for the week of June 14-20, with a huge 1.57 billion minutes of viewing time.

That's the equivalent of roughly 16.6 million full runs of the 95-minute movie. That means Luca almost matched fellow Pixar title Soul, which became the first feature film to top Nielsen's overall weekly streaming rankings when debuting over the Christmas corridor. Soul, which runs 100 minutes, captured about 1.67 billion minutes of viewing time, or almost 16.7 million full runs.

Almost matched Soul.

Really curious how it would have done in theaters.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017

There's no doubt piracy plays a part it when you can get a perfect copy ripped straight from the streaming service within hours of release but I think the reality is that theatres haven't quite recovered from the pandemic just yet either. We're seeing a lot of frontloading with this year's blockbusters, whether or not they've gone up on streaming simultaneously. And we also have to grapple with the fact that Black Widow might just be a low-to-mid-tier Marvel flick that isn't garnering the excitement that they'd wanted.

There's just too many factors for them to point the finger at one thing and say that's the problem.

From Deadline, update on that pure profit from Disney +
deadline.com

‘Black Widow’ Posts Steepest 2nd Weekend B.O. Drop For Disney MCU Title; Studio Silent On PVOD Update As Piracy Impacts Pic

If Disney keeps up this whole theatrical-PVOD day-and-date model, maybe it won’t be so scary for rival studios in the future to follow a Marvel movie during its second weekend at the box offi…
I can't believe they got it wrong with the correction as well. The answer their take is neither 85% nor 100% because not all platforms used to buy the Premier Access will have a cut taken. Apple TV, Roku, yes. Browsers and many smart TVs would not take a cut. The answer will be somewhere in between depending on the platform mix.

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Luca blew up big in the most recent one too

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Luca’ Leads Nielsen Movie Streaming Rankings With Huge Launch

The family film almost tied with fellow Pixar title 'Soul' in terms of viewership during its first weekend of play in late June.

Almost matched Soul.

Really curious how it would have done in theaters.

We may never know about Luca 1, but considering Disney+ sent out a survey regarding interest in more Luca content (and those surveys have always hinted at future plans), we could easily see a Luca 2 in theaters and (somewhat) get your answer.

... Or they go the Moana route and just make a D+ show. Which to be fair, is probably more likely.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There's no doubt piracy plays a part it when you can get a perfect copy ripped straight from the streaming service within hours of release but I think the reality is that theatres haven't quite recovered from the pandemic just yet either. We're seeing a lot of frontloading with this year's blockbusters, whether or not they've gone up on streaming simultaneously. And we also have to grapple with the fact that Black Widow might just be a low-to-mid-tier Marvel flick that isn't garnering the excitement that they'd wanted.

There's just too many factors for them to point the finger at one thing and say that's the problem.

I can't believe they got it wrong with the correction as well. The answer their take is neither 85% nor 100% because not all platforms used to buy the Premier Access will have a cut taken. Apple TV, Roku, yes. Browsers and many smart TVs would not take a cut. The answer will be somewhere in between depending on the platform mix.
Yeah Black Widow is hardly a butt's in the cinema marvel flick. It's equivalent to something like antman. Hell if you made a feature film version of Loki instead I wouldn't be surprised if it'd manage to gather more interest.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Yeah Black Widow is hardly a butt's in the cinema marvel flick. It's equivalent to something like antman. Hell if you made a feature film version of Loki instead I wouldn't be surprised if it'd manage to gather more interest.
Ant Man got two films and is about to get a third. Nothing against Paul Rudd, those films were enjoyable, but if Ant Man can get three films, certainly Natasha can get a sequel with decent legs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Idk why we're using the Pre-COVID calculus here, folks. It's a new game.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I think Black Widow and also the WB movies are an interesting experiment into seeing what the effect Premier/direct access has on big blockbusters, especially considering piracy. This is pretty much the first time in movie history that you have huge releases simultaneously appearing in cinemas and on torrent sites in the highest quality possible. I can see a lot of people that are curious about those movies (but not huge fans) downloading it for free instead of paying for access.

Ant Man got two films and is about to get a third. Nothing against Paul Rudd, those films were enjoyable, but if Ant Man can get three films, certainly Natasha can get a sequel with decent legs.
What would a Black Widow sequel even be about? The few other weeks in between BW and Infinity War? lol

Or maybe another prequel to the prequel.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017

Yeah, this is my question. Even though it's a super old cartoon, growing up, the reruns were always on TV. I mean, I'm sure kids can probably identify Bugs Bunny (probably?) but do they still watch Looney Toons?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Theres's been a Wile E. Coyote movie in development for a couple a years that's made some recent big moves to being finally made, now has a 2023 date set and James Gunn did a pass on the script

Everything I hear about the movie makes it seem less and less likely it'll come out, purely because it just keeps getting better and better and there's no way the universe would let it happen.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Actuals for Widow came in slightly lower so closer to 68% drop over 67%

Space Jam as well, I guess not a good Sunday

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
space jam is one of the worst movies ive seen this year, but i underestimated the nostalgia people really do hold for the old one, i grew up with it and i always thought it sucked, but i was at the theatre this weekend and there were a ton of people in old space jam jerseys, didnt even know those existed.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2021-07-19_at_5.01.49_PM.png
Black Widow had a worse drop than TROS

That's....yikes. Just super yikes...