• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.austinchronicle.com/dai...zards-of-the-coast-opening-new-austin-studio/

Big news for gamers: Wizards of the Coast, the company behind Magic: The Gathering is coming to Austin. They'll be opening a new game development studio, and they've brought in James Ohlen – formerly creative director on the Baldur's Gate franchise and Dragon Age: Origins – to head up the team.

Founded in 1990, WotC has become a powerhouse in the lucrative world of collectible card games, as well as tabletop figure-based games (the massively successful Star Wars Miniatures), plus board games through its Avalon Hill subsidiary, and it's the current publisher of Dungeons & Dragons. However, it made the announcement today via Twitter that the gaming institution is taking its biggest step yet into video game development with a whole new office dedicated to developing new properties. The firm already successfully experimented with online play with three Magic spin-offs (Magic: The Gathering Online, Magic Duels, and Magic: The Gathering Arena), but this is their first move into the console market.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Opening in Austin with a former Bioware Creative Director? Wonder if that means they'll be picking up other former Bioware staff?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
And actually.. it looks like Ohlen's company Arcanum Worlds has worked on a couple of 3rd party source books that were designed to played with DnD 5E, but the press release states that Wizards won't have him working on DnD or MTG.

This is definitely super interesting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Opening in Austin with a former Bioware Creative Director? Wonder if that means they'll be picking up other former Bioware staff?

I was thinking the same thing. Anthem did OK but the Austin studio has had some major issues over the years. Maybe it will close down, maybe not.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
When they say new properties do they mean new IP, like no magic stuff ? If true, then dope, my best wishes to them.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Shame it's too late for a 4e game. I don't think I'm that interested in a videogame based on 5e in comparison.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Alright alright alright.

I'm still a bit shakey about WOTC. I don't really judge their judgement much in gaming space. I'll always give them a chance though but they seem to want to follow modern gaming trends and don't really know how to do it properly.