• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Probably been send a hundred times but the internet had a dial tone and you could hear when it fucked up.

Dec 31, 2017
Toys R Us
d2278116045b310b921113d28a5336ca484fa348.jpg

Pulling the ticket for the game you want and getting it from the front window.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
My first television had no colour and was black and white. My folks bought it for me to play my Atari on as B&W tvs were pretty cheap in the 80s.

There is a lot of great memories in this thread. Very nostalgic for me. Almost brough tears ot my eyes cause of some of the memories. Thanks for this one :)

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
not even that old, but back when no one had unlimited minutes and people waited until nighttime to make long calls on their nokia

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You had to buy a gaming magazine if there was a demo you wanted to try.

Oct 28, 2017
newyear-292-copy-575x359.jpg

These guys used to be all over my city. Just so random dude selling pretzels. Middle of street, just pull up to a red light and get 5 for a $1.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watching Titanic was an achievement for us (Iran) and carrying the VHS was like carrying some dangerous drugs those days.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Having to get up and walk to the TV to change the volume or channel.

Popping the black plastic tag out of a VHS cassette to stop someone taping over a film or show. Subsequently scrunching a wad of paper into the revealed hole and putting sellotape over it to record on that cassette again.

Being worried by the very real threat of annihilation in a global thermonuclear war.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
My grandparents lived way out in the country and had a party line. You could pick up the phone and hear their neighbor's phone calls.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Any North Americans here remember how awkward it was shopping at Consumers Distributing stores?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
*shows a picture of George Michael in the 80s*

"NOBODY thought this man, THIS MAN, was gay"

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
What a floppy disc was.

I once had to explain what a floppy disc was to my fiancée who is 6 years younger than me.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've only got 8p of credit left, so I can't send you a text
0800 mum dad : "you have received a call from Yoit'sScramblewe'reatthepark. Would you like to accept the charges?" "Please say who's calling after the tone: alrighti'llbe5mins"

Or 7 people in a phone box calling 0800 28 29 30 and asking what you thought were funny and crude sex questions.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an unintentionally dark one: Toy guns without the orange tips. I had an awesome battery-powered squirt-gun SMG that fell into this category.

---

INZkyuF.gif

After Dark was the best thing on my PC.
That's a great pull. The special edition for the OG Star Trek was fantastic as well.

VHS. I had a rewinder that looked like a convertible and wouldn't work half the time, but I thought it was so cool.

Getting music off Limewire. Before that, I remember listening to HitClips, which didn't even play full songs.
CHKY_SuW4AAWh4b
That reminds me of the first incarnation from the 80s, Pocket Rockers
pocket-rockers-with-player.png

The people doing the marketing were so old they used a CCR song for the commercial

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One and two dollar bills (in Canada).
Sega consoles.
Convenience stores having signs saying "Thank you, come again" and it not being a Simpsons reference.
Adults always yelling at kids that weren't theirs.
New Coke.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
After printing out my paper, I then tore along the perforated lines, and then tore the edges off.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
"Smoking or non smoking section?"

Being able to walk around the mall with my parents while they smoked is something that is basically surreal now.