• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Within your household, are there differing political opinions?

• No, everyone is homogeneous

Votes: 42 53.8%
  • Yes, at least one person has a fundamentally different political orientation

Votes: 36 46.2%

• Total voters

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I currently live alone, so no.

But if you're a yes, do you talk about your opinions with each other?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, my roommate is a liberal. Dont really talk too much in the way of politics with him, though I don't think he's that interested anyways.

Back when I used to live at home my father was a pretty unpleasant conservative.

Last edited:

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
not that I know of, me and my family don't really care enough about politics to discuss it and my wife doesn't give a shit so we are good.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All of the younger members of the family keep it to themselves, but I think we all have some disagreements with the older ones.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homegenous isnt exactas right, but my girlfriend is more forgiving of politicians than me. Thats about it.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Nah we're all different degrees of left leaning in my family. The younger ones are way more left than the older ones but the only big difference is that the older ones like the military.

My current roomates are "black conspiracy theorist leftist" , "generic white Computer Science Major Republican ", and a guy who doesn't seem to know much about politics but seems like a normal southern centrist. We all get along .

The only political argument we ever had was with us being in agreement against a dumb guy who was sleeping on our couch

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we have different opinions... I'm not dating myself or a robot

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
No, we both don't give a rats arse about politics. 90% of australia don't care about it.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Me and my mom are left wing/liberal. My father leans republican, but hates "both sides". He hates politics talk, but has low key conservative views. At least he didn't vote in the presidential election that's good enough for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No, we are roughly on the same page, Center-left. Sometimes we will talk about a particular topic or issue, and we're generally in the same zip code, she tends to run a bit more left of me (I'm a bit hawkish).

We got talking about Venezuela and fall in agreement on the end goals.

Now the rest of my family? We don't talk politics at all.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
No, and I wouldn't live with someone who wasn't a progressive at this point. I don't put up with R bullshit - not even from family.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in my household is far left. The family still in my life outside the household range from fairly liberal to centrist save for my grandmother who is conservative and voted for Trump even after vowing she wouldn't.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In terms of politics, it's between centrist and left leaning positions

In terms of religion, it swings wildly between uber conservative and total leftist progressivism

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
my girlfriend and i (lived together for 4 years) are pretty much on the same page, although we have differing views on immigration. we live in australia and ironically we're both immigrants.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I consider myself a pretty solid progressive, both socially and economically. Definitely to the left of most elected officials.

I live with my brother and his girlfriend.

He's progressive on some issues. Mostly economic. He's 100% on board for things like environmental and climate change advocacy, progressive job programs, taxing the rich, etc. He's closer to a centrist on social issues though. He's not racist or homophobic or anything, but every once in a while he'll say something that makes me give him the side-eye. He's gotten better though. For example, he used to use slurs "ironically," but now understands how harmful they are even when not used to directly attack someone.

His girlfriend seems to lean right a lot of the time. I mostly attribute this to her having terrible taste in YouTubers and subreddits and being highly impressionable to whoever's opinion she last heard. She's one of those people who will go ballistic if she hears Anita Sarkeesian's name, but can't articulate why she doesn't like her. "She lied about video games." Ok. But being highly impressionable, she's at least somewhat open to have her views changed. For example, she hates terms like "rape culture" and "toxic masculinity," if you talk to her about the behaviors that those two terms actually describe, she'll eventually agree that they're terrible things.

All three of us are irreligious, but my brother and I were raised Christian.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend and I are both leftist progressives. My close family is various degrees of left-leaning even though my parents are still struggling with some social stuff. They aren't outright bigoted but still a bit behind the curve when it comes to LGBTQ issues yet willing to learn. Many of my extended family are conservative, religious and bigoted. Which is one of the reasons why I don't really get along with them. If my girlfriend and I ever decide to have children, I don't want them to be around these people.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Growing up I did. My mom is blindly Republican and my dad is far further left than I am.

My wife and I are generally on the same page. I'm probably more left than her, on most things but she's more interested in celebrity gossip and murder stories than the political games.