• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So it's no secret that A LOT first party studio that MS bought is using UE4 (with some using Unity and Slipspace) and that all these studios are doing tech sharing between them with pretty consistent meetups. By default we already see UE5 offers some insane quality and AAA studios will be making their own tools and systems (Sea of Thieves water, etc) so I believe having all these studios on Unreal Engine 5 and sharing their tech between eachother, we can really see a huge explosion in quality from MS's first party studios. Say the new Fable reboot just has a massively optimized open world system developed inhouse, well now that tech can be shared with any other studio and potentially be improved upon by the other teams and then said improved version could even make it's way back to Playground and help the tech keep on evolving for particular needs, I think scenarios like that aren't unlikely and make me pretty excited when this engine makes it's way into developers hands.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So it's no secret that A LOT first party studio that MS bought is using UE4 (with some using Unity and Slipspace) and that all these studios are doing tech sharing between them with pretty consistent meetups. By default we already see UE5 offers some insane quality and AAA studios will be making their own tools and systems (Sea of Thieves water, etc) so I believe having all these studios on Unreal Engine 5 and sharing their tech between eachother, we can really see a huge explosion in quality from MS's first party studios. Say the new Fable reboot just has a massively optimized open world system developed inhouse, well now that tech can be shared with any other studio and potentially be improved upon by the other teams and then said improved version could even make it's way back to Playground and help the tech keep on evolving for particular needs, I think scenarios like that aren't unlikely and make me pretty excited when this engine makes it's way into developers hands.
I wouldn't be surprised if any of those UE titles were running on UE5 already.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The collation is going to do epic things on this engine

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
An engine doesn't dictate quality.

Moreover, you are only as good as your lowest common denominator. That isn't Lockhart. It's the original Xbox One 2013.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Microsoft Studios using Unreal Engine:

• The Coalition (Gears)
  • Compulsion Games (New 3rd Person Adventure Game)
  • Double Fine (for new IP)
  • The Intiative (rumored PD Reboot/New Game)
  • InXile (for new RPG)
  • Ninja Theory (Hellblade 2)
  • Obsidian (For new AAA RPG)
  • Rare (Everwild)
  • Undead Labs (For new rumored AAA State of Decay )

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
All studios use UE?

Would be nice if they had their own engine like Decima.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Visually studios like PG using their own engine out out a game looking better than anything running on UE4. I'm not sure visuals where the problem with XGS. They already put out great games anyway.

For the entire generation? Omg what is Microsoft doing????
AFAIK it's only for the first 1-2 years. After that they'll probably drop at least the OG xbox and only keep the One X or even drop all entirely.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017

Moreover, you are only as good as your lowest common denominator. That isn't Lockhart. It's the original Xbox One 2013.
By the time UE5 ships we'll be done with the crossgen period.
By the time games built from the ground up with UE5 ship we'll be near a mid-gen refresh. (2024 or so)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

There's zero indication that cross gen games will still be a thing by 2022 when UE5 games start rolling out.
But you already knew that.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand, it's an engine. Were we not expecting a significant leap from current gen? Plus, other engines will evolve just as UE has. Capcom's next REngine game should look roughly as good, for example.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

They are not going to support XBO through the entire life span and we will probably only see UE5 games in late 2021/2022, around when we will start seeing Series X only games.

Also we still don't even know if Lockhart is real, we keep hearing it from rumors but MS's messaging on Series X has been pretty consistent.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
By quality you are refering to just visuals? I guess, but that doesn't make a good game, just a pretty looking one.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, it's an engine. Were we not expecting a significant leap from current gen? Plus, other engines will evolve just as UE has. Capcom's next REngineg gameshould look roughly as good.
This is more about the tech sharing, developers will always implement their own tech into existing engines, being able to share that can improve quality and speed up devs of other games that could use that in-house tech.

We just have UE5 coming out of the gate as a next gen AAA monster.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The preview for UE5 is available in early 2021, and full release in late 2021. Microsoft's cross-generational "pledge" (or whatever you want to call it), was for approximately the end of 2021, if you took Booty's words to mean exactly what they said.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The preview for UE5 is available in early 2021, and full release in late 2021. Microsoft's cross-generational "pledge" (or whatever you want to call it), was for approximately the end of 2021, if you took Booty's words to mean exactly what they said.
I think we all know they are gonna 3DS it and kill support off sooner rather than later except for xCloud.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant even imagine what Rare's water tech will look like. And Jesus christ, Coalition will melt peoples eyes right out of their sockets!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You being so dishonest here that it cant be anything but a troll. Reported.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
For the entire generation? Omg what is Microsoft doing????

Not the entire generation. It's one year, at the very most, if the game can run on that hardware. People are just making something out of nothing from a vague quote Matt Booty said at XO19 where he said games would play up and down the family of devices for "the next year, two years" and that was that. But recently Jason Ronald said it was up to the developers and their scope of the game

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think we all know they are gonna 3DS it and kill support off sooner rather than later except for xCloud.

I... don't know why we would know that? I expect Microsoft will do what they've said they will do, because there will be a business purpose behind it. If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't say it in the first place.

People need to chill out. We still haven't even seen AAA gameplay yet, and people are assuming Microsoft games are gonna look like Pong for the next seven years because they said their games will be cross-generational for a year.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, maybe some other studio can use it too.

I doubt it. It was build on the foundations of Halo and any other studio wanting to work with it would need to go through the same hassle that EA developers had to go through, when they were forced to work with Frostbite.

Other devs working with it can only happen if Microsoft invests heavily into a seperate team that fully works on this engine and expands it for more general use.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017

Sure, but it helps a whole hell of a lot to have an amazing engine that scales great from the highest end PCs all the way down to mobile. I know Ninja Theory is heavily entrenched in UE along with Coalition, Obsidian, Playground and probably the Initiative...these are very talented studios.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I... don't know why we would know that? I expect Microsoft will do what they've said they will do, because there will be a business purpose behind it. If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't say it in the first place.

People need to chill out. We still haven't even seen AAA gameplay yet, and people are assuming Microsoft games are gonna look like Pong for the next seven years because they said their games will be cross-generational for a year.
Nintendo said they would support 3DS for longer than they did too and they are also business people too. I am not saying MS wont support it, but by the end of 2021? I doubt it.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
If it's anything like UE4, UE5 will shine in particular on Xbox exclusives so yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.