• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's really going on here?

• Coded message, duh! Why would Batman lie?

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Nah, he beat those kids.

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • The bridge, Spike?

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
His run is so weird because it's peppered with some really fantastic little standout moments but overall as a whole I just find it so mediocre. To me a lot of it just comes across as wooden. Looking forward to someone else taking over the main book.

The good (or bad) thing about Batman is he's everywhere so it's not like you are stuck just reading the one book. First issue of Grave of Batman was great and the Bendis Batman book is supposed to be really good as well. Plus Snyder still writes Bruce in different books if that's your thing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's just embarrassing writing.

The whole arc has been like Tom King adapting a half-remembered The Dark Knight Rises. 'There was a pit, right? And Bane took control of Gotham. Alfred was out of the picture and... uh... oh, right, Catwoman had to get Batman to Bane".

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
5ba76478f2f71.jpeg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's still poor logic.

I'm not actually defending the more ridiculous stuff in the OP but if you're training to be a professional boxer you're gonna get more than a couple blows from your trainers and sparring partners to prep for the actual fights in the ring. Except for superheroes your enemies aren't bound by rules and can do stuff like rip people apart limb by limb.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. Mind spoiling it for me?
The idea of Banner subconsciously keeping Hulk from killing people is acknowledged as a theory that works with the normal, "classic" Hulk who is basically a child.

That's not the current Hulk in control. Banner got so traumatized that
Devil Hulk
had to step in to sort everything out. And he's made it clear that he has no problem putting people who go after him down pretty hard

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not actually defending the more ridiculous stuff in the OP but if you're training to be a professional boxer you're gonna get more than a couple blows from your trainers and sparring partners to prep for the actual fights in the ring. Except for superheroes your enemies aren't bound by rules and can do stuff like rip people apart limb by limb.
Very few of the examples in the OP are related to combat training. They are almost all instances of Batman lashing out in anger.

Oct 25, 2017
Like if you have a specific protocol of the Batfamily of "If I lash out at Tim when we're all together, that means go underground" that makes sense. Hell, whoever he clocks can have a different meaning.

But "This punch means X" is dumb for something that elaborate, even if the whole 'fighting is a language' thing has been around in the mythos for a while.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, Robin pretty much exists to give bad guys something to shoot at while Batman takes them down while they're distracted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of Banner subconsciously keeping Hulk from killing people is acknowledged as a theory that works with the normal, "classic" Hulk who is basically a child.

That's not the current Hulk in control. Banner got so traumatized that
Devil Hulk
had to step in to sort everything out. And he's made it clear that he has no problem putting people who go after him down pretty hard
Devil Hulk? Sounds lame... is it worth a read or is it ongoing?

OP
OP
Old Man Spike

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
You're failing the children! FAILING THEM!

His run is so weird because it's peppered with some really fantastic little standout moments but overall as a whole I just find it so mediocre. To me a lot of it just comes across as wooden. Looking forward to someone else taking over the main book.

The good (or bad) thing about Batman is he's everywhere so it's not like you are stuck just reading the one book. First issue of Grave of Batman was great and the Bendis Batman book is supposed to be really good as well. Plus Snyder still writes Bruce in different books if that's your thing.
Batman Universe has a bit of that "Bendis tours the DCU thru Batman" vibe going on, but it is genuinely refreshing and has a light, adventurous feel that's been largely missing from mainline Batman comics for decades it seems like. Plus, this Bruce/Batman seems like an actual functioning person and someone who other superheroes would actually want to be around.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I said way back on the other site that his Batman run was trash by issue #3. It never improved from there. I honestly have no clue why he's been on the book this long.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Batgirl was sparring, otherwise Bruce would have been a bloody smear on the floor lol

Red Hood was when Jason was a super-villain, I think.

Last edited:

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
"Strength is recognizing your own position, your own weakness. Then adjusting, reimagining, so that this weakness... becomes your power."

Man, remember that time the American intelligence community remembered their own position and weakness in... late 2000 or so, and adjusted super hard so nothing terrible and bad could ever happen and we all lived happily ever after?

I will never not be absolutely flabbergasted by Intelligence Analyst Community Big Brain.

EDIT: I just realized my point might be seen as a bit of unclear lashing out, so let me elucidate; the quoted behavior is absolutely not consistent with the intelligence analyst community, but you know what is? TRYING TO BURY REALLY REALLY STUPID DECISIONS THAT WEREN'T BASED ON ANYTHING RESEMBLING LOGIC.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
"Strength is recognizing your own position, your own weakness. Then adjusting, reimagining, so that this weakness... becomes your power."

Man, remember that time the American intelligence community remembered their own position and weakness in... late 2000 or so, and adjusted super hard so nothing terrible and bad could ever happen and we all lived happily ever after?

I will never not be absolutely flabbergasted by Intelligence Analyst Community Big Brain.

EDIT: I just realized my point might be seen as a bit of unclear lashing out, so let me elucidate; the quoted behavior is absolutely not consistent with the intelligence analyst community, but you know what is? TRYING TO BURY REALLY REALLY STUPID DECISIONS THAT WEREN'T BASED ON ANYTHING RESEMBLING LOGIC.

The context in the 2000's for the CIA and the other intelligence agencies was that Dick Cheney and the federal government were doing everything to grind them to their will because they knew what the Bush administration was doing was bullshit, eventually they caved and stop bothering informing the POTUS like they should be doing because they'd get blowback, ignored or called liars in the media by the administration and conservative outlets.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Universe has a bit of that "Bendis tours the DCU thru Batman" vibe going on, but it is genuinely refreshing and has a light, adventurous feel that's been largely missing from mainline Batman comics for decades it seems like. Plus, this Bruce/Batman seems like an actual functioning person and someone who other superheroes would actually want to be around.
I love Universe mostly because it's just fun adventure unlike usual batman comics but like you I really appreciate not just a constant brooding asshole but batman like a person that knows how to interact with people

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact he said "These are for The Master! I must obey!" may have also tipped Robin off. Imagine if he hadn't said that, though; Robin might've thought it was some kind of secret code instead of child abuse.

Can you imagine the training for this? Something like:

BMAN: Now, when I punch you here *punches Robin in the face* it means "Joker has poisoned the water supply, so take your anti-Joker toxin antidote pill right away." BUT, if I punch you here instead *punches Robin in the face in almost the exact same spot* then that means "Penguin is about to rob the gold depository and to contact Commissioner Gordon!"

ROB: Holy headaches, Batman! I'm not sure I can remember what all these punches mean, being so woozy and all, but I'll try my best.

BMAN: ... *punches Robin in the face*

ROB: Oww! Gosh, Batman! I think you loosened a molar with that one! What was that punch supposed to tell me?

BMAN: It tells you "shut up and wait in the Batmobile." Now stand up, we've got another sixty-eight of these to get through before patrol.
Oh my god

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The context in the 2000's for the CIA and the other intelligence agencies was that Dick Cheney and the federal government were doing everything to grind them to their will because they knew what the Bush administration was doing was bullshit, eventually they caved and stop bothering informing the POTUS like they should be doing because they'd get blowback, ignored or called liars in the media by the administration and conservative outlets.
I dunno about that. A breakdown in inter-agency communications still happened mostly because of the agencies themselves in 2000. We could also talk about intelligence agencies seemingly never owning up to the fracas in Afghanistan given they keep making the same mistakes.

But, again, the reason this is on-topic is because I just dig the rich irony of a former intelligence analyst deciding "No, big spy hero didn't irrationally lash out! It was... part of a deep philosophical strategy that I propose is central to his character as I understand it!"

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I dunno about that. A breakdown in inter-agency communications still happened mostly because of the agencies themselves in 2000. We could also talk about intelligence agencies seemingly never owning up to the fracas in Afghanistan given they keep making the same mistakes.

While there were issues of miscommunication, it was over stated that it was all on the intelligence agencies who dropped the ball on 9/11. I recall them sending information about that to the White House from Germany and the White House brushing it off. Then the inevitable happened and no way was the president and his advisers taking the blame for fucking up.

But, again, the reason this is on-topic is because I just dig the rich irony of a former intelligence analyst deciding "No, big spy hero didn't irrationally lash out! It was... part of a deep philosophical strategy that I propose is central to his character as I understand it!"

That's fair. I don't know enough about King to form an opinion whether that's an accurate take, or he's just another writer who accidentally went too far into believing a protagonist has to be right became they're Batman the protagonist.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I stanned him long enough, this shit just made me happy he has been flushed from the book.

Where the hell is his editor? Did DC just buy their own hype and trust the Eisner winning AUTEUR Tom King?

Yes, actually. Tom King actually got an editor removed from the book earlier in his run.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that there's even one person here defending this ass pull. This is some incredibly stupid writing.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Ongoing, the Immortal Hulk run has been amazing.
Immortal Hulk has been absolutely amazing so far.
Just going to echo that Immortal Hulk is damn fantastic.
Hey thanks guys. I'll read it... gonna finish a Batman run before I start with immortal Hulk.

Devil Hulk just sounds lame without context I'm guessing. But even without the context, I was still gonna read it lol. The concept behind it sounds like a neat idea for some good stories and action.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I really have no idea what is going on with King's Batman anymore. Bane breaks Batman again and some time throwing batarangs on the beach with Catwoman is enough to get back into shape? This last issue was also a major exposition dump that felt it was trying to fill in holes or retroactively explain things that didn't need explanation, and it highlighted a major issue with King's writing on this book, which is that things are both slow and drawn out while also being incredibly rushed where it counts. We're at the end of City of Bane, but I don't feel like there's been nearly enough time spent on exploring that status quo or even really building things to a final Batman/Bane confrontation. Things are both overwritten and underwritten at the same time. And all the Bat/Cat dialogue is really just embarrassing. Like, reading their banter makes me feel embarrassed for King's wife, lol.

He does have some great moments and standalone issues here and there, but overall the whole run has this trashy soap opera vibe to it. And while I'm normally a fan of JRJR, his artwork in these last couple issues has not suited the book well at all. It's also really jarring to change up the art style like this right at the climax of the climactic story of the whole run.

Devil Hulk? Sounds lame... is it worth a read or is it ongoing?
It's a bit confusing keeping all the Hulk personas straight, and tbh Ewing doesn't do a real good job of it (until very recently) and assumes you know this stuff already. But Immortal Hulk is otherwise a really excellent book. Great horror comics.