• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Ori 1 & 2, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 are three of the best games this general. Like, Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori Will of the Wisps are two of my most memorable games, and better than most exclusives/published games I can think of this gen. Sea of Thieves is amazingly stupid, but aside from the streaming community I Think it's a tough sell. Forza Horizon 4 is the best racing game this gen and maybe ever (save for like Gran turismo 2, Forza 4, Burnout, handful of others), but racing games usually get ignored or forgotten.

But, your overall point is right. THere's just not a lot of Microsoft published games this generation,a nd while there's been some very unique ones, like the ones listed, I think people want a jumpy shooty movie game like Uncharted 4, even if it's a worse game than Ori or Forza Horizon, there's a greater demand for it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not assuming anything though. A developer will be looking to cover costs of development and maybe turn a small profit while also looking to make more money down the line. How much they can command is going to be determined by how publishers view a product as being able to sell and at what time they think they can put it out to market. This is what determines what the scope of the title is.

These developers are not Mother Teresa type charities, they are businesses.
Yeah I'm not implying they're charities. I'm saying it's not a one-price-fits-all or one-term-fits-all scenario.

There are a ton of moving parts to these exclusivity contracts and I'm sure no two such deals are the same.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Look at the user name. His judgment about Xbox is about as credible as mine about Playstation.

I never got the opportunity to buy a Playstation though because Sony hasn't delivered any worthwile games so far. Maybe they will in the next generation.
It's simple for me, really. PlayStation is the console to date on the weekend when a shiny new exclusive releases, but Xbox is where I make my home because there's better long term support with its services and Xbox has more titles with compelling post launch support than Sony exclusives due to Xbox having more multiplayer experiences.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
You are only describing a situation where a 1st-party funds development for a financially struggling studio, and funds the title from the start, which I addressed at the beginning of my post.

As I mentioned, there are multiple ways to buy exclusivity. The situation both of us were referring to, was buying exclusivity for established brands for games that would otherwise be multiplatform.

For example, Microsoft buying year exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider or Titanfall, Sony buying year exclusivity for Final Fantasy VII remake, Microsoft paying Rockstar $50,000,000 for exclusive GTA IV DLC. Even when Microsoft funded Gears of War 2 and 3, they had to pay to keep the game exclusive.

It's entirely dependent of sales projections.
It does not matter whether a studio is struggling or not, they are a business, and they are always going to be looking to make money.

Big name games will command a hefty figure, but no one, absolutely no one is in the business of giving Microsoft or Sony a discount because of what the install base is. The developer's job is to make a quality game, the publisher's job is to try and market it so as to maximize sales and see a bigger return on investment. And if the publisher makes money, the developer also makes money unless they signed a poor agreement.

What he was describing is that Sony will get a better deal on exclusives because they have a bigger install base.........
Yeah I'm not implying they're charities. I'm saying it's not a one-price-fits-all or one-term-fits-all scenario.

There are a ton of moving parts to these exclusivity contracts and I'm sure no two such deals are the same.
It is not as hard to imagine as some here make it to be. If you are a developer shopping a game, it means you do not have funds, or you are looking for someone else to take the risk. And if you keep the IP, get paid even less.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, you can really feel the consequences of the mindset Xbox had at the start of the gen.

There are only a few games of theirs that I really liked

The Oris
Cuphead
Sunset Overdrive
Halo 5 and MCC
Gears 5
Killer Instinct
and the first Titanfall I guess

Not a lot for an entire console generation

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 and Killer Instinct are very very easily some of the best games this gen IMO, plus there is Cuphead if you want to count that. I honestly do not think either Nintendo or PlayStation first party released anything close to the quality of those.

Beyond that though? I really could not care less about their games. The Master Chief Collection on PC is turning out quite nice though, and I am excited to see where Halo Infinite and Gears Tactics go, but yeah, this gen was seriously rough for Microsoft. Still looking forward to what they have in store, I think they've made some great strides in recent years.

Kokboi

Dec 11, 2017
Bro no way. I can't even keep up with Sony you have to be kidding. I've got Death Stranding just staring at me as I play MW. FFVII comes out tomorrow and then I have TLOU2 and Ghosts. What is even the next exclusive MS game? Halo?

Lordy that list is just depressing

That list is fucking terrible.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
You are only describing a situation where a 1st-party funds development for a financially struggling studio, and funds the title from the start, which I addressed at the beginning of my post.

As I mentioned, there are multiple ways to buy exclusivity. The situation both of us were referring to, was buying exclusivity for established brands for games that would otherwise be multiplatform.

For example, Microsoft buying year exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider or Titanfall, Sony buying year exclusivity for Final Fantasy VII remake, Microsoft paying Rockstar $50,000,000 for exclusive GTA IV DLC. Even when Microsoft funded Gears of War 2 and 3, they had to pay to keep the game exclusive.

It's entirely dependent of sales projections.

Edit. Also, your charity comment goes both ways. If a 3rd party has guaranteed income, such as with Rockstar and GTA for example. Why would Rockstar need Sony or Microsoft to "only" fund GTA? At this point a GTA VI would expect to make Billions of dollers. Buying lifetime exclusivity for any platform could cost over a billion. It would make no sense for Rockstar to do what you suggest, since they would be taking a huge sales loss.
[/QOTE]
It does not matter whether a studio is struggling or not, they are a business, and they are always going to be looking to make money.

Big name games will command a hefty figure, but no one, absolutely no one is in the business of giving Microsoft or Sony a discount because of what the install base is. The developer's job is to make a quality game, the publisher's job is to try and market it so as to maximize sales and see a bigger return on investment. And if the publisher makes money, the developer also makes money unless they signed a poor agreement.

What he was describing is that Sony will get a better deal on exclusives because they have a bigger install base.........

It is not as hard to imagine as some here make it to be. If you are a developer shopping a game, it means you do not have funds, or you are looking for someone else to take the risk. And if you keep the IP, get paid even less.

It's not that many of the things you say are wrong, you are just neglecting to address anything other than 3rd-party work for hire deals.

3rd party work-for-hire deals are much smarter in a lot of cases, which is why we see them more.you aren't incorrect that in those instances, it's more of a funding deal.

What you aren't acknowledging is that there are other types of exclusivity deals, such as buying exclusivity of established brands, such as what Sony most assuredly did with FFVII remake. In that type of deal, he is right. It would be much more expensive for MS to buy exclusivity on that game than Sony, since it would be a bigger sales loss to not release on PS4.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It's not that many of the things you say are wrong, you are just neglecting to address anything other than 3rd-party work for hire deals.

3rd party work-for-hire deals are much smarter in a lot of cases, which is why we see them more.you aren't incorrect that in those instances, it's more of a funding deal.

What you aren't acknowledging is that there are other types of exclusivity deals, such as buying exclusivity of established brands, such as what Sony most assuredly did with FFVII remake. In that type of deal, he is right. It would be much more expensive for MS to buy exclusivity on that game than Sony, since it would be a bigger sales loss to not release on PS4.
It all depends on what a publisher is looking for. Microsoft is less likely to be in the market for a remake of Final Fantasy than Sony is, and Sony is more likely to be in the market for a Sci Fi shooter or an arcade racer than Microsoft is.

Depends on time and what a publisher thinks is right for them. And in these cases, you tend to see games like Resistance, Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey i.e. what publishers think is better allocation of capital.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Forza Horizon 4 and Killer Instinct are very very easily some of the best games this gen IMO, plus there is Cuphead if you want to count that. I honestly do not think either Nintendo or PlayStation first party released anything close to the quality of those.

Beyond that though? I really could not care less about their games. The Master Chief Collection on PC is turning out quite nice though, and I am excited to see where Halo Infinite and Gears Tactics go, but yeah, this gen was seriously rough for Microsoft. Still looking forward to what they have in store, I think they've made some great strides in recent years.

I don't mean this as a slight, but it's always interesting to see who is capable of separating subjective preference and subjective opinion of quality. There's no arguing with somebody about what they like - most people have at least one game that they really like that isn't actually that high quality.

So to say that out of all of the GOTY winners and contenders on the PS4 nothing compares to a racing franchise (which to be fair is probably the best going right now) and a fighting game that got tepid reviews to start and although I'm sure it is good isn't rated as high as the Song or Nintendo exclusive fighters nor is it an EVO game atm, well it shows a lack of awareness. And it's one thing to focus on Sony, but to say Nintendo can't compare either with Smash Bros. Ultimate and Breath of the Wild?

Yeah I'm going to have to HARD disagree.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I personally feel as if Microsoft was moving their platform into something very akin to a service. It didn't seem to have any major first-party efforts so instead focused on concepts like a Game Pass and crossplay functions between the games it and PC shared distribution on.

Now that's not bad, but I feel that's part of the reason that their first-party efforts have largely been anemic. They seem more focused on making a platform and not specifically a product to sell the platform on. If you're in the Xbox ecosystem now, it's probably because they have the best subscription service for games, considering the titles that are a part of it.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Don Mattrick almost killed the brand. The entirety of this generation from MS lack of first party heavy-hitters to the weak-ass hardware were just symptoms of the problems at Microsoft at that time. The company was really at a cross roads and trying to figure out which direction to go in. Were they an OS company or a cloud company? Halfway into the previous gen, the smartphone revolution happened and turned everything upside down. At that point, there was all kinds of infighting at MS. There was a faction that wanted to just accept that mobile was the defacto standard and that the PC was dead. So MS wanted to turn everything into a mobile device, including the PC. We all know what happened with Windows 8. The faction at MS that won out there was very much like Apple with a "Fuck you, this is how it's gonna be" philosophy. We saw cooler heads like Phil Spencer and J. Allard get ignored in favor of the suits with the winning smiles preaching the death of the PC (and to a lesser extent consoles).

Sony got lucky in that they lacked the agility due to their business culture which was accustomed to a "wait and see" business strategy. That led to them just sheltering in place with a traditional machine. That ended up being the right move. In hindsight, Microsoft should have not panicked and been content with sticking with the 80 million consumers that bought the Xbox 360 instead of trying to get the "1 billion" people that played mobile games. That sounds like a Don Mattrick move, who coincidentally got booted and went to head up a mobile gaming company.

So I agree with the sentiment that this was a lost generation spent stopping the bleeding from 2013 and building a foundation for the true successor to the Xbox 360. The Xbox One was a dope all in one system. They nailed that. I actually bought one because of this. But when Phil came in and stripped all of that away, I was left with a very mediocre games machine. We can honestly say that with how badly Sony screwed up in 2006, the only thing that saved them were the games.

Games are truly the best deodorant for a shitty console. The Xbox One has been walking around with a funky BO for most of this generation.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I don't mean this as a slight, but it's always interesting to see who is capable of separating subjective preference and subjective opinion of quality. There's no arguing with somebody about what they like - most people have at least one game that they really like that isn't actually that high quality.

So to say that out of all of the GOTY winners and contenders on the PS4 nothing compares to a racing franchise (which to be fair is probably the best going right now) and a fighting game that got tepid reviews to start and although I'm sure it is good isn't rated as high as the Song or Nintendo exclusive fighters nor is it an EVO game atm, well it shows a lack of awareness. And it's one thing to focus on Sony, but to say Nintendo can't compare either with Smash Bros. Ultimate and Breath of the Wild?

Yeah I'm going to have to HARD disagree.
I meant in terms of the genres for those two. Forza Horizon 4 is covering so much ground in the arcade racer genre almost completely unopposed in the modern gaming world so that is not to terribly fair. Killer Instinct was an incredible game to follow between seasons and still even now plays better than basically the entire fighting game genre online, so it is in a unique spot itself. It is also very far removed from the title it launched as.

That said... I had a moment like 40ish hours in Breath of the Wild where I had to ask myself if was my favorite game all time, which is something I have never experienced since I was a child. There are also probably dozens of third party current games I would be more excited to play over FH4 or KI now too.

I apologize for not being more clear in my previous post.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is a vast over-simplification of the amount of stuff that gets negotiated. You may have the funds for development but don't have the marketing. You may have funds for both, but don't want to compete with other tentpole releases and want a clear schedule on your target platform. You may want to keep the IP, but negotiate away the rights to an individual property for the right price, or, heck, even just a small portion of the IP like music or a character or something.

Heck, you may want to simply used licensed tech from the console manufacture for a discount.

Like I'm not even scratching 1% of the surface... there's dozens or potentially hundreds of factors that can go into a deal.

To say that the developer "doesn't have money" in every instance is not true. I don't think Square Enix, for example, or Capcom are unable to afford their own development costs. I don't think Activision is having trouble funding development of anything.

The ownership rights to every single game as a collection of intellectual properties are completely parseable in millions of different ways. That means that deals are highly negotiable and unique in plenty of instances. I imagine the higher the profile of the game, the more unique the deal's terms would be.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I meant in terms of the genres for those two. Forza Horizon 4 is covering so much ground in the arcade racer genre almost completely unopposed in the modern gaming world so that is not to terribly fair. Killer Instinct was an incredible game to follow between seasons and still even now plays better than basically the entire fighting game genre online, so it is in a unique spot itself. It is also very far removed from the title it launched as.

That said... I had a moment like 40ish hours in Breath of the Wild where I had to ask myself if was my favorite game all time, which is something I have never experienced since I was a child. There are also probably dozens of third party current games I would be more excited to play over FH4 or KI now too.

I apologize for not being more clear in my previous post.

It's all good. I tend to agree with Forza. Killer Instinct...I'm not so sure. I'm far, far from a fighting game expert so I'll just say that I certainly don't think Killer Instinct is somehow above any competitor's exclusive and I would tend to think Street Fighter V is the more definitive "traditional" fighting game and that Smash Bros. Ultimate is also at the very least in a similar spot except there's nothing like it.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Yeah I think that is the aspiration, it will take some time to get there. So gamers shouldnt expect AAA titles out the gate as these take tears to create obviously.
It takes time to release, but it shouldn't take time to get there. They already did the acquisitions and now have like 15 well funded and staffed studios under the Xbox Game Studios banner. They should have at least 15-30 AAA budget games in various states of development, releasing at 1-2 a quarter at the very least.

If they can't put out the games regularly starting this fall then there's something more broken at Xbox than their release schedule.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that hard actually,I've done it for the last two gens(PS3 and PS4).
I've zero interest in Nintendo and although I always feel Xbox has the potential to make games that interest me it hasn't happened yet.

I can relate in terms of Nintendo. I wish I were interested based on how ERA adores their games, but their games just don't interest me at all. Mario is probably the only one I would enjoy playing, but not enough to buy the system.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
It's not that hard actually,I've done it for the last two gens(PS3 and PS4).
I've zero interest in Nintendo and although I always feel Xbox has the potential to make games that interest me it hasn't happened yet.
I could easily do it if I wanted. If you forced me to choose, Xbox would win out. The exclusives are nice, but Xbox is a better overall package for me.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This is a vast over-simplification of the amount of stuff that gets negotiated. You may have the funds for development but don't have the marketing. You may have funds for both, but don't want to compete with other tentpole releases and want a clear schedule on your target platform. You may want to keep the IP, but negotiate away the rights to an individual property for the right price, or, heck, even just a small portion of the IP like music or a character or something.

Heck, you may want to simply used licensed tech from the console manufacture for a discount.

Like I'm not even scratching 1% of the surface... there's dozens or potentially hundreds of factors that can go into a deal.

To say that the developer "doesn't have money" in every instance is not true. I don't think Square Enix, for example, or Capcom are unable to afford their own development costs. I don't think Activision is having trouble funding development of anything.

The ownership rights to every single game as a collection of intellectual properties are completely parseable in millions of different ways. That means that deals are highly negotiable and unique in plenty of instances. I imagine the higher the profile of the game, the more unique the deal's terms would be.
You enter a deal in exchange for money because you either do not have it, or are not willing to risk it. It is not an oversimplification. Publishers on the other hand will reject games sometimes not because they do not think that they are quality, but because they think that they have something similar in the portfolio at the same time.........same thing happens in music, movies, books etc.

It is a convergence of interests, and most have to be met for a deal to go through.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I can relate in terms of Nintendo. I wish I were interested based on how ERA adores their games, but their games just don't interest me at all. Mario is probably the only one I would enjoy playing, but not enough to buy the system.
Yea,I appreciate how well made their games are but I never got in on Nintendo as a kid,I gamed on home computers like the C64(I'm in the UK and these were all the rage),I don't remember my friends and I even mentioning Nintendo back in the day.
I have zero nostalgia for the brand,PlayStation was my first serious home console and it felt like such a cool thing back then,I've enjoyed PlayStation ever since.The colourful family friendly vibe of Nintendo just leaves me utterly cold.
I did own the original Xbox and thought it was pretty good but their IP hasn't resonated with me since then.....I'll keep an eye on them next gen though,you never know.

Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Post Count Shaming
Yeah whenever somebody is making an argument as ridiculous as that poster is and being stubborn about it I look at post history and when their account was created.

Seeing it was created less than two weeks ago made it pretty clear it is a troll account. I refuse to believe anybody actually thinks that way.
I need to start doing that lol. If I had looked at his account creation history, I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to explain things to him.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I mainly game on PC but I usually buy every console for the exclusives.

I didn't really feel like I was missing anything this generation by not buying the Xbox One. It helps that Microsoft released a lot of their big hitters on PC.

I don't necessarily think its a bad thing, I'd rather buy their games on PC anyway.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any doubt the 1P output was very poor in quality with only a handful of shining examples

Massive, massive contrast to the state of their teams today. More than double the number of dedicated teams and talent at their disposal, not to mention what I feel is a fundamental shift in their creative philosophy going forward.

As someone who absolutely hated the X1 launch period, I cannot wait to see what they have in the pipeline now. I dare say it's going to be better than the 360 generation.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Do we have a list?
Because I think I'm missing a few.

But yeah, both og. Xbox and x360 had tons more.
Still paying for Mattrick's foolishness; the damage he did to the brand can't be measured.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
I know it's always overlooked/dismissed.
But I really enjoyed Crackdown 3... glad it came to PC in some fashion.

Kindofblue

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
It's hardly surprising to me, the Xbox brand as far as exclusive games peaked from 2005-2008 my personal hot take is that period on the 360 had one of the best first acts of any console release ever, the current state of Microsoft game lineup didn't emerge out of thin air it's a culmination of a now decade long schizophrenic identity crisis that's plagued the brand since the tail end of the 360 with the announcement of Kinect in 09 their interest was clearly to get Karen to toss her Wii in the closet.

'I am glad they've finally sobered up and left rehab, the acquisition of Obsidion is possibly the most intelligent decision they've made in regards to their first party production since purchasing Lionhead back in 06, and Halo infinite is the most i've been interested in a Halo game since Reach.
But that reminds me, not trying to sound superficial I understand it can be seen as an arbitrary, subjective term, but when was the last time the Xbox brand had a unanimous GOTY worthy title? Halo 3 (2007) Fable 2 (2008) Halo Reach (2010)?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hardly surprising to me, the Xbox brand as far as exclusive games peaked from 2005-2008 my personal hot take is that period on the 360 had one of the best first acts of any console release ever, the current state of Microsoft game lineup didn't emerge out of thin air it's a culmination of a now decade long schizophrenic identity crisis that's plagued the brand since the tail end of the 360 with the announcement of Kinect in 09 their interest was clearly to get Karen to toss her Wii in the closet.

'I am glad they've finally sobered up and left rehab, the acquisition of Obsidion is possibly the most intelligent decision they've made in regards to their first party production since purchasing Lionhead back in 06, and Halo infinite is the most i've been interested in a Halo game since Reach.
But that reminds me, not trying to sound superficial I understand it can be seen as an arbitrary, subjective term, but when was the last time the Xbox brand had a unanimous GOTY worthy title? Halo 3 (2007) Fable 2 (2008) Halo Reach (2010)?

Gears 5 was GOTY worthy.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Don Mattrick almost killed the brand.
Don Mattrick saved the brand. The original Xbox was an awesome machine, but also an incredible money pit losing a billion dollars a year. The 360 had every advantage in timing and aggressive branding, and was a technical dream again...that also lost a billion dollars a year, and was rapidly overtaken by Wii, and outsold right from the start by PS3...and PS2. It was under Mr. Mattrick's leadership that the RROD problem was finally ended and its costs put into the past (literally). Seeing the record-shattering success of Wii, he properly sought to grab some of that market, and developed Kinect to marry casual interest with on-brand Xbox technical innovation. This culminated in Kinect's massively successful launch, which (alongside the 360 Slim he also oversaw) lead to the only years all generation where Xbox outsold PlayStation.

Mr. Mattrick was the leader behind that success. He can hardly be blamed for continuing and expanding this plan of attack with Xbox One. That the market had changed doesn't make him an idiot.

...the current state of Microsoft game lineup didn't emerge out of thin air it's a culmination of a now decade long schizophrenic identity crisis that's plagued the brand since the tail end of the 360 with the announcement of Kinect in 09 their interest was clearly to get Karen to toss her Wii in the closet.
Again, the Kinect years were by far the most successful Xbox has ever been.

As to the thread topic, I think it's interesting to look at the total game counts as well, not just exclusives. As of 3/22, the PlayStation Store page for PS4 games listed 4569 items. Some are duplicates--special editions, promo bundles, etc.--but I removed those from the count. The true number of unique PS4 games on the US store was 3653. There are undoubtedly hundreds more titles unique to the Japanese, Asian, and European stores.

Compare this to the Xbox One store page. As of 3/22 it listed 1663 items. I again removed duplicates and a couple upcoming games. The true number of unique Xbox One games on the US store was 1607. The note above regarding other stores also applies here, and would increase the count. However, on face value it appears there are far more PS4 titles available overall (127%).

It's such a big discrepancy that I thought perhaps I'm missing something, but I tried other sources and couldn't find anything official. The Wikipedia page lists 2323 items (once unreleased games are removed), but I have no idea if the data is correct. If there's not a Microsoft site that lists the extra games, what were the sources? If anyone is aware of a more definite listing, I'd like to know.

Even with this count, though, PS4 has 57% more games, period. That's actually a very considerable gap, especially since the truth is almost certainly above that.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They've definitely had a weak generation. I think I own all of 10 games and I think only a couple of those could be considered great. Their most consistent franchise is Forza Horizon. But they had a lot of damp squibs that seemed to knock their confidence so heavily they just stopped trying. Even their bigger IP's never reached the heights of their past successes. Halo, gears, crackdown...I dunno. They need a big rethink in terms of their output imo. I hope their acquisitions do that. Because I have zero confidence in coalition or 343 if they are made to keep making gears and halo until the end of time. They need to move onto new things.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I have not played Xbox that much (I mean I did got gamepass and tried some games), but the only thing that catched my eyes this generation from their 1st party was Quantum Break.

I don't think their games are bad tho, just not my cup of tea. They clearly have a lead when it comes to 1st party multiplayer/shooter (imo).

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I still want to play Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Halo 5, Gears 5, and Killer Instinct...

But its not enough to get me to buy their console yet considering my backlog.

Maybe the next one, since everything is backwards compatible. I really miss the Xbox controller when I play PS4 games, as well as the 360's UI (though I'm not sure if its the same on X1).

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Agree. I definitely thought the same. Feels like Microsoft didn't push first party games that much on XBO maybe conceding early the console race. Halo 5 multiplayer was a monstrosity. I think 343 was smoking crack when they made that game.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of what Microsoft has done lately (in terms of hardware and services) and have really liked some of their exclusives, but I agree overall. It does feel like it has been a really weak gen for their first party.

That said, since I have all the consoles it doesn't really bother me much and I think they've put themselves in a great position for the next few years. I'm looking forward to seeing what their new studios have been working on.

Jan 11, 2018
Microsoft has always had a weak first party, so this comes as no surprise. Next gen will be the first time that they'll have a stable of solid studios. But even then, it's going to take many many years until they are basically firing on all cylinders like Sony and Nintendo. That being said, Sunset overdrive is probably my GOtG... So thats good at least. I enjoyed Recore a lot as well.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to be wrong but I think the damage done this gen is going to be very hard for MS to overcome next gen. Their lineup has to be stellar.

They seriously punted this generation.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Coming from xbox360 where I played almost 30-40 big games but Xbox one was a disaster on many levels. I switched to ps4 because of that. I will never forgive yusuf and don for destroying the brand.