• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
full metal furies , valiant hearts, nuclear throne and children of morta are just a few I feel deserved more recognition

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It's not out in the West yet so it doesn't really make sense, but I feel like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim will get overlooked by many people due to the genre/gameplay/style.

I just finished this game this week and it was such an amazing experience and I cannot recommend it enough.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Valiant Hearts is awesome, yeah!

Personally, I really enjoyed Remnant From the Ashes.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Prey_Article_Dashboard_WhatIs_619x499.png

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Games I thought were underappreciated:
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • The Evil Within (1)
  • InFamous: First Light

D4nlel

Jun 11, 2019
Stephen's Sausage Roll is one of the best puzzle games out there, yet I rarely see it mentioned.

May 10, 2019
My old line about "Cookie Clicker is the game of the 2010's and everybody on the planet is too much of a coward to admit it" would work here, but honestly - Heat Signature, ISLANDERS, Dandy Dungeon, Jazzpunk, and FAR: Lone Sails are probably the most underrated games I can think of off the top of my head.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

For a game that gets constantly mispronounced, I'd correct that lest even more damage be done.

For me there are a freakin' ton I think deserve more recognition:
  • World War Z
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Ashen
  • Mortal Shell (recent, and incredibly good)
  • Door Kickers: Action Squad
  • Everspace (especially with the Encounters DLC)
  • Sea of Thieves (has a die hard following, but is something truly special that doesn't get enough plaudits IMO)
  • Strange Brigade
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • Little Nightmares
Some of these have had reasonably good receptions, but either deserved more or just continued to evolve into incredible experiences. There are undoubtedly scores more I can track back through the gen but these are the first that come to mind.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
No big deal but Valiant Hearts is a previous gen game.

As far as big releases go, I'd say Arkham Knight and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Gran Turismo Sport has also been treated unfairly IMO. Until Dawn is getting forgotten when it's still the best game in its genre.
On the smaller project side, I don't want to make a huge list but I'm thinking about Virginia, Tacoma, Unravel 2 (coop). And the best casual multiplayer game available on PS4 - That's You.

BONUS : VR - I always feel like Arkham VR gets overlooked way too often. It's obviously a bit dated but it's still so amazingly polished and stylish.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
World of Warships is one of the best console games of this generation that no one knows about. I need to make an in depth thread about it some day.

OP
OP
pjl93

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
I can't believe I forgot tales from the borderlands and evil within 2 some of my favorites

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Nex Machina (Great twin stick shooter.)
Soul Caliber IV (all my COD and 2K playing friends love this game.)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian. There's no other game like it and there was never an as believable and lovable AI creature in any other game.

5fa82f0b93e221765b6babb6beaeac49.gif

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted: Lost Legacy (IMO, more satisfying than Uncharted 4 and probably should have gotten more recognition)
Killzone: Shadowfall (early PS4 launch title, but incredibly rich multiplayer when the community was alive and I enjoyed the campaign a lot)
Mad Max (after the disappointing Just Cause 3, it's hard to expect much with this. Bugs and glitches aside, very decent game)
Concrete Genie (The Puppeteer of the PS4/XB1 generation)

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
It's not out in the West yet so it doesn't really make sense, but I feel like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim will get overlooked by many people due to the genre/gameplay/style.

I just finished this game this week and it was such an amazing experience and I cannot recommend it enough.

Good gameplay? Good story? What did you like about it? I've heard lots of glowing reviews but don't know a thing about it.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Days gone, people still talk about it like it's shit and it's actually really good, and was fantastically well supported post release.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Good gameplay? Good story? What did you like about it? I've heard lots of glowing reviews but don't know a thing about it.
It's mainly a story game. For me it was one of the most hype/engaging/uniquely told story experience I ever had on a videogame.
There is also some strategy/tower defense mech gameplay which could be divisive. I personally loved the combat part as well, but the "main" part of the game is the story.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Sunset Overdrive - Great traversal once you gain all the abilities after a few hours, great graphical style, good humour.

Crackdown 3 - Gets a bad rep primarily because of the MP, but the SP is classic Crackdown and a blast to play. Hunting orbs will never get old.

Jan 10, 2018
Subnautica. Everyone needs to play it and everyone needs to get as excited about the sequel as I am. It's without a doubt one of the best survival/exploration games ever made.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N++ is the best indie platformer the best platformer BAR NONE I've ever played. There's also a Numberwang reference in the options menu, which automatically makes it my game of the generation.

Pocket Card Jockey was the best Gamefreak game on the 3DS.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
The Beginner's Guide is in my top 5 favorite games of this gen.
Killer Instinct, because I think it's one of the games of the generation, period, fighting games or otherwise.
Anatomy by Kitty Horror Show.
Duskers, a strategy game that offers one of the best isolation/claustrophobic experiences out there.
Rain World. One of the best-realized game ecosystems transplanted onto a world that feels like it shouldn't have been able to exist in the first place.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
I feel Astro Bot is the best game on PS4. Playing it just genuinely made me so happy. So that.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snake Pass hits all the right notes for me.

It is a unique game with the perfect difficulty curve and lots of polish.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 2 - One of the best shooter campaigns this gen.

Gravity Rush 2 - One of the best PS4 exclusives not enough people played.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
It's mainly a story game. For me it was one of the most hype/engaging/uniquely told story experience I ever had on a videogame.
There is also some strategy/tower defense mech gameplay which could be divisive. I personally loved the combat part as well, but the "main" part of the game is the story.
Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for it!

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Because they came out at a time where Telltale was everywhere, I feel like their Batman games were overlooked a little. Admittedly, this was partly Telltale's own doing, but still.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has a great campaign. It's not exactly "overlooked", as no doubt it was a sales success. But in terms of generally being talked about as one of the better games out there, it's rarely in the conversation despite being extremely good. Of course, Activision never lower the price on these games, if they did it would be a strong recommendation at $20. I think it's probably still full price after 4 years though.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even complete it but Dead Cells is incredible. Same with Celeste

Indie 2D games have just been absolutely spectacular.

Edit:Transformers Devastation was cool as fuck!

Last edited:

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Pyre - Supergiant Games nail every genre they ever try, and it was no different here. Yeah, it's effectively a visual novel for most of its story, but it had interesting characters and was interactive enough with the world map that it never really bothered me. Plus the Rite gameplay was actually quite tactical and fun. Unfortunately, it's clear this game was under appreciated as Supergiant seems to have no desire to port it to Switch despite already porting Bastion and Transistor.

Trails of Cold Steel 1/2/3/4 - 1 & 2 originally appeared on Vita so maybe they shouldn't count, but figured I'd count them as a whole since they're all on PS4 now. Quite simply the best JRPG series still around not named SMT or Persona imo, Falcom games in general rarely get the love they deserve.

Days Gone - It certainly won't be for everybody, but the hordes were some of my favorite combat encounters in any game period. Overall this game is probably one of my favorite PlayStation Studios titles ever, not just this gen. Really wish the critical reception for it had been more positive, but I'm hopeful for a sequel.

Watch Dogs 2 - Aside from the fact it is vastly superior to the original mechanically, I have a huge soft spot for this one because of its very detailed and realistic depiction of the Bay Area (in terms of locations, not the technology itself obviously). As someone who loves visiting the Bay Area, and had the pleasure of living there for a year, it was nice to see it so beautifully represented in video game form.

might add more later as I think of them

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Games that immediately come to mind:

- DISHONORED 2 (!), spectacular level and world design, tons of freedom and possibilities, one of my favs this gen
- Titanfall 2, also really good level design and an entertaining campaign overall
- Sniper Elite 4, caught me completely by surprise and felt almost like a light but gory version of MGS V
- Valkyria Chronicles 4, just as good as the first one with some great QOL improvements
- Metro Exodus, loved the openness and exploration in this, superb atmosphere, great visuals...
- Subnautica, not the biggest fan of survival games (luckily you can disable most of it), but the nail-biting deep sea exploration and dense atmosphere made me fall in love with it
- The Evil Within 2, couldn't get into TEW1, but this one really hooked me and felt more to the point
- Huntdown, amazing pixel art, soundtrack and boss fights, tons of throwbacks to 80s action flicks, just a blast to play from start to finish

Astro Bot is certainly one of the best games of this gen and deserves more recognition, but there's also a barrier to entry, so I can hardly hold someone at fault for missing out on it.

Last edited:

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Dishonered 2 and Titanfall 2. The former is literally a top 5 game of the generation for me. You can play as two unique characters who both play amazingly well. The level design is also some of the best in the industry.