• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 13, 2020
I wonder if Sony will feel compelled to get more aggressive with acquisitions, since Microsoft has the potential to buy even more. I don't know if Sony has 7.5B just laying there. Either way this next gen just feels a little worrisome to me. One side runs the risk of creating a monopoly by buying so much competition, the other is getting into potentially anti-consumer practices with the frankly insulting price increases. And I don't want to imagine what the Big 3 will come up with in the following years.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
sorry if off-topic but Sega Sammy owns TMS Entertainment? What is the reason that they don't get licensing of anime series like Detective Conan right in the west? Couldn't they get help from sega to get a better understanding of publishing things worldwide? And give their anime series better games? I always wanted that tms handles Detective Conan like the pokemon company does.

Anime properties in Japan usually have multiple parties having ownership of said anime, the animation studio, the owner of the original manga series and the television network it was originally aired at. I don't see how that's really relevant to Sega's gaming division.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Japanese government very hostile towards foreign companies buying out Japanese companies? I don't think the would authorize it

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Their all doing their own, cool things.

But Microsoft should definitely try and buy Konami. So much potential in all these great IPs man...

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo wouldn't need to be desperate to purchase Koei Tecmo. The companies are fairly close-knit, and an acquisition might be a graceful exit for KT leadership.
How much is KT worth? Are they a realistic purchase for Nintendo? KT now work with Nintendo much more than BN ever did I think and KT have put like 99% of their current library on Switch.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I mean Sega is doing critically quite well though? I mean they are doubling down on a commitment to remaster classics and have Atlus and the Yakuza series for more prestige titles and they manage to get stuff out regularly. I guess Sonic is mismanaged but they are still doing quite well and are very profitable thanks to mobile so the need to be sold seems....unclear.
No you see, if sonic games are bad then Sega as a company must be about to crash and burn.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Maybe Microsoft may try for Sega/Atlus since the relationship is already there (for Sega, not Atlus), but even that I'm not sure of.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised MS hasn't thrown more money east side, if they could at least build a bigger audience for JP games maybe they wouldn't get left in the cold so often. Sony is the default for JP devs and barely make use of the JP IPs they have now so I couldn't see them buy any.
They tried that with 360, it got them nowhere so they quit bothering.

Sony's the default for most bigger JP games, but Nintendo's been gaining more support for niche releases with Switch by comparison.

Last edited:

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Anime properties in Japan usually have multiple parties having ownership of said anime, the animation studio, the owner of the original manga series and the television network it was originally aired at. I don't see how that's really relevant to Sega's gaming division.
I didn't expect a serious answer to this, but of course you're right. It is just that I always have the felling that some anime-ips could be much bigger in the west if they were marketed more consistent and would have better cross-media content.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. Capcom, Sega, Bamco, Square Enix are doing a good job at the moment. Konami deserves it's shot at redemption too.

I feel ultimately most of these companies aren't interested in being bought though.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Neither Sony nor Microsoft should be purchasing independent third party publishers. Let them remain independent for the betterment of the gaming community as a whole. Locking exclusivity, timed or otherwise, is just not healthy.

MS already purchased Besthesda, and I still feel adamant that it is a terrible and anti-consumer practice that should not be celebrated nor encouraged. That said, Sony should also absolutely not be making their own "big purchase" as retaliation. This back and forth of comparing dick sizes is just making the community more toxic than it already is.
Yes exactly, few weeks ago, Apple Google Amazon and Facebook (but surprisingly not Microsoft) testified before the Congress over market power, dominance position, and high profit. And I believe if todays news announced few months ago, the story will be different. I'm not saying the acquisition today is illegal but something the committee would certainly look at it

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft is a trillion dollar company, there competition not buying them is worth it to them.
With this kind of logic they'd buy up every third party available. That's not how corporations look at mergers and acquisitions.

What would be worth a certain price tag to Sony or Amazon or Tencent or whoever might be different to the value Microsoft places on it.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I actually wouldn't mind Sony in particular acquiring someone like Vanillaware for some more offbeat titles but all of the major Japanese game companies are doing fine on their own if you just accept Konami isnt really a game company anymore.

Sony owning vanillaware would kill the company. They already can't fund the Japanese ips they own and people expect them to fund the ultra niche studio Vanillaware

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
How much is KT worth? Are they a realistic purchase for Nintendo? KT now work with Nintendo much more than BN ever did I think and KT have put like 99% of their current library on Switch.

Their current market cap puts them at about $6B USD, but their market value has basically doubled since April and that might not last.

Koei Tecmo Holdings also has a slot/pachinko business, an amusement facility operation business, a real estate business, and a venture capital business, all of which Nintendo might not be interested in. So a divestiture of what we think of as Koei Tecmo — the game development studios and publishing operation — is probably a little more likely than Nintendo buying them outright. Not that Nintendo hasn't been in odd businesses before.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
This would be the worst possible outcome. We should stop fantisizing about acquisitions, as if further industry consolidation is a good thing. Unfortunately I think today's announcement is only going to accelerate this trend.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Capcom getting bought by Sony would kill portable Monster Hunter, which is about to become very profitable for them again, so not gonna happen.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I mean Sega is doing critically quite well though? I mean they are doubling down on a commitment to remaster classics and have Atlus and the Yakuza series for more prestige titles and they manage to get stuff out regularly. I guess Sonic is mismanaged but they are still doing quite well and are very profitable thanks to mobile so the need to be sold seems....unclear.
I couldn't give less of a shit how profitable or stable they are, my beef is with the fact that their incredible stable of IPs is literally going to complete waste, they'll neither release sequels nor re-release anything except the same old crap over and over and over again, it's downright insulting for longtime fans. Follow any Sega centric youtuber (like SLX) and the frustration is palpable. They (corporate Sega) are unquestionably holding their own games hostage.

I have no affinity towards MS, but given that Sony or Nintendo would never ever purchase them, I've been secretly hoping MS would do the deed ever since the 6th gen.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure of the connection there.
I suppose if you knew many other knew. Is not like when an offer is done the seller doesnt call other possible bidders to increase the price. Possibly the january leak about Sony and Bethesda buyout if true could be deliberated to increase the price.

Nastrodamous

Oct 28, 2017
With this kind of logic they'd buy up every third party available. That's not how corporations look at mergers and acquisitions.

What would be worth a certain price tag to Sony or Amazon or Tencent or whoever might be different to the value Microsoft places on it.

I 100% agree, but why would you let your primary competitor buy out a company that will then not publish on your platform. Just as a business it makes no sense especially when you are dealing with one that wrote off a 2billion dollar loss on Nokis.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Today hasn't filled me with warm happy feelings towards the video game industry so if any more go through I might have to take a break from it or leave entirely. I primarily play on Playstation - MS has taken games made by Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, etc, and now the entire Zenimax Media group of Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Dishonored, Prey, etc from people like me. If Sony buys Capcom or Sega then they then take those IPs away from people who play mainly on Xbox. It fucking sucks. So I hope this is the end of gargantuan acquisitions but I doubt it. Feels really bad to me.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I hope it doesn't come to that. Hearing about Bethesda already makes me kind of wary about what else is to come.

I mean, what if Sony buys Capcom as an answer? What if Nintendo acquires Bamco? Microsoft is at least pretty good about pushing their titles to PC, but Sony and Nintendo are under no such obligations whatsoever.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Today hasn't filled me with warm happy feelings towards the video game industry so if any more go through I might have to take a break from it or leave entirely. I primarily play on Playstation - MS has taken games made by Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, etc, and now the entire Zenimax Media group of Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Dishonored, Prey, etc from people like me. If Sony buys Capcom or Sega then they then take those IPs away from people who play mainly on Xbox. It fucking sucks. So I hope this is the end of gargantuan acquisitions but I doubt it. Feels really bad to me.
the worse is that an Elder Scrolls lover i cant see a similar budget for next entries supported mainly in game pass incomes.