• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm ready for a more powerful revision, whatever form factor it comes in. I would happily buy a more powerful TV-only unit, but if they would prefer to keep the hybrid nature in place and just put out something with a more aggressive performance profile, then I would be happy with that too.

They hit a sweet spot for performance on the original model that made a lot of things viable that really shouldn't have been - as such we've seen great things on it like Alien Isolation, Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, Witcher 3, and more. The family of systems is doing so well I'm sure Switch will still get great support, but its going to be so so much harder to port modern games going forward, and I think the more these new systems get out there in peoples hands, the quicker the Switch is going to seem archaic to people. I'm conscious to some people, who expect magic at an affordable price, they already consider it archaic - but I'm personally of the position - it's been great, but now we need better.

At the moment I'm playing Immortals Fenyx Rising on both Switch and PS4 - it has cross-progression, which means I have the same save file on both - which is amazing for me! I have a young baby and my game-time with the TV is really restricted, so having the option to play on the Switch is amazing and I'm so grateful for Ubisoft doing it - it's one of my favourite games this year.. but the visual and animated sacrifices are obvious when you play both versions. It weirdly got a lot better for me once I left the beginning area of the game (Clashing Rocks -> Golden Isle) but its still a big step down from the PS4 Pro - let alone the next gen versions that have high-FPS performance modes.

For things like any new Metroid that comes out, and BOTW2, I would love some extra niceness if they can push out some hardware and a new software-target profile for Switch software at the same time. A lot of games have unlocked framerates, so even if the boost were only marginal, I think I'd appreciate it.

What I would really like is for Nintendo to treat this system-family as something between the Play Store on Android and a traditional console. Android developers can target older versions of the platform, older hardware, older SDKs if they want - but there are some things on the store that you need a newer device to run. And I think that's fine. Put out some new hardware, let people keep creating for the entire family if they want, but naturally, newer, better running software is gonna need the upgrade. Keep the system / family-line going!

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The only way it would make sense without being redundant compared to the Switch Pro is with some external gpu and that idea will never get out the realm of imagination.

I think a home console only Switch could work if it's meant to be a cheaper rather than stronger version, since there will be no battery or screen to worry about.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Releasing a faster non-portable Switch would be awesome, but I don't see Nintendo doing it. Now, realeasing a non-portable with the same specs as the normal Switch and at the same price as the Switch Lite (so at least 100€ less than the normal one), I'd definitely buy one. As it stands, for people who are not interested in its portability (like myself) there's no option for getting a home Nintendo console like there has been since the NES at a reasonable price, except buying a product that is severly overpriced for its tech, as well as paying for a screen and battery they don't need. I want to play Nintendo games, but I don't want to pay extra for overpriced hardware just because of it.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i know i wouldn't be so reluctant to buy a switch if there was a TV-only version that shipped with the pro controller and had a resolution and framerate bump to better support a 4k tv.

i don't want a portable. i hate the idea of paying for all those portability features i don't want.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
There is a big interest in a Switch version that's Docked only and supports modern technology releases since the original came out (Ethernet port, HDMI 2.1, higher performance for 4K, more storage space, ect...)

But if there's one thing we know about Nintendo is they don't do the obvious thing or match industry standards in a reasonable amount of time

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Please no. I want great performance but I do not want to ever be tempted to get a dedicated console-only Switch. I love the portability and play it almost exclusively handheld, even at home. I get why people want it, but I'd prefer Nintendo try to explore how to boost performance without sacrificing the main hook for the Switch.
Their cloud save system is now so seamless that I'd be perfectly okay with a console-only Switch always hooked up to my TV and a Switch Lite for when I want to play handheld.

But tbh I expect we'll get a better-performance hybrid model before we ever get a TV-only model.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The concept of "switching" has been crucial to how I play console games since 2017, but I'm not in love with Nintendo's hybrid as it currently stands; I rather have a stationary device and a portable device within a hardware brand family that seamlessly transfer progression to achieve a similar effect. A stationary Switch (or successor) with better performance alongside a sister dedicated handheld (this gen a Lite would suffice) with library parity would be ideal for me, but I don't even need the stationary Switch (or successor) to be better performing. I just want the "switching" experience without the ergonomic compromises of a hybrid, specifically anything that compromises the design of the portable experience.

2020's Game Pass Cloud from some angles achieves the console/portable split I want from Nintendo's hybrid approach, but of course with the benefit of Nintendo providing handheld gameplay natively.

This is antithetical to the OP, but I'd even settle for a more portable and ergonomic handheld, like the current Lite, that is dockable.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that Nintendo has something less cumbersome cooking up on the horizon for my preferences. We've come a long way since 2012's Wii U Gamepad.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm pretty sure there'll be a TV-only version at some point but I don't think there's really a substantial enough market out there for something that would be more powerful than standard docked performance of the current model (or Pro when/if it comes out).

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I would love that, but nintendo strayed away from even half decent hardware a while ago. Then again maybe furukawa's direction will be different from iwata's

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
There is a big interest in a Switch version that's Docked only and supports modern technology releases since the original came out (Ethernet port, HDMI 2.1, higher performance for 4K, more storage space, ect...)

But if there's one thing we know about Nintendo is they don't do the obvious thing or match industry standards in a reasonable amount of time

Based on sales, there's a bigger interest in the current Switch model. ;)

These threads pop up and people point to the Lite as a justification for a docked only model. The difference is, the Lite is still providing an experience you can't get anywhere. Sure, some of these third party games run worse than the console equivalents, but you can take them on the go along with great Nintendo games. It's also great for kids and/or families that want multiple switches in one house.

What incentive does a docked only console offer? A still worse third party experience and a marginally better first party experience on the tv? I don't see a major market for that.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
If a console only switch happens it's not gonna feature a jump in power or anything, It'd just be a cheaper alternative to the regular switch

I think its well established at this point that there probably isn't any room for 3 console boxes whose only difference is the games they get

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A key difference between what you are asking for and the Switch Lite is that the Switch Lite uses the exact same components as the Switch and requires no additional development on games to support. It functions exactly the same as the Switch in that regard.

The equivalent would be a cheap set top box Switch that is just a Switch running in Docked mode.
I wonder how mad people will get when the expected improved hardware revision for the Switch is another dockable handheld

Jul 14, 2020
You have to remember that with the Switch Lite Nintendo didn't want to introduce a new performance setting. Lite = normal Switch in handheld mode.

I would say that the least likely outcome is a pure at-home-only console with higher performer than the existing Switch.

IF we get a higher performing model (I can't wait!), it's going to be hybrid hardware.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If there ever was a thought of doing that, I imagine it probably died on the vine once they saw that the Lite didn't really take off. Better to focus the resources into furtherinf the regular Switch line with a better performing/premium model, and/or successor.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Based on sales, there's a bigger interest in the current Switch model. ;)

These threads pop up and people point to the Lite as a justification for a docked only model. The difference is, the Lite is still providing an experience you can't get anywhere. Sure, some of these third party games run worse than the console equivalents, but you can take them on the go along with great Nintendo games. It's also great for kids and/or families that want multiple switches in one house.

What incentive does a docked only console offer? A still worse third party experience and a marginally better first party experience on the tv? I don't see a major market for that.
It all depends on what tangible benefits it offers over the alternative Switch models. If the capabilities are as lackluster as the hybrid switch model and the price/bundle offering isn't right of course it'll be less interesting. I don't think anyone is seriously saying sales from a Docked only Switch would be higher than the other 2 models, but it'll be enough to validate that it exists and most importantly open up new possibilities (ie: Extend Switch lifespan and offer developers more capabilities to make better games)

Oct 27, 2017

And despite that, IIRC, the normal Switch has always and continues to FAR outsell the Lite in ever region. Even in the handheld land of Japan. I don't know why people think a docked only one would fair better

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm a firm believer that Nintendo is in a great position to release a system a fraction of the power to PS5/Series X and at a far cheaper cost with similar performance using DLSS
if they went at the same cost they could easily outperform current gen... at the very least they could have better features than the new stuff like DLSS and RTX raytracing and such.
I think they could be very competitive in price and performance.

I don't think they will do this ... at least not this year.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a firm believer that Nintendo is in a great position to release a system a fraction of the power and at a far cheaper cost with similar performance using DLSS
if they went at the same cost they could easily outperform current gen... at the very least they could have better features than the new stuff like DLSS and RTX raytracing and such.
I think they could be very competitive in price and performance.

I don't think they will do this ... at least not this year.
the question then is "a fraction of the power" (I assume to the base switch?) even enough to run DLSS?

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Home-only Switch should be a budget model that operates at the same performance level as a docked Switch, just like how the Lite operates at the same performance level as an undocked Switch.

"Super Switch" or "Switch Pro" or whatever you want to call it should be a hybrid, maybe even with its own Lite and Home versions. I think perhaps having its own Lite/Home versions would be a bit less likely unless they were really intent on stretching the Switch lifespan out before a proper successor.

Nov 1, 2020
The only reasonable (from the R&D expenditure side of things) version of a docked only Switch would be... literally, the Switch with docked only capabilities, like how the Lite is the Switch with portable only capabilities. And presumably the OP is asking for more than that.
Because really, if you want a new chip to be designed, you're already asking for The Next Switch anyway.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry... to clarify... a fraction of the power to PS5, Series X
ah ok. then that would be the expectations of the speculation thread. something close to the Xbox One S + DLSS. anything less than this, and they might as well just overclock Mariko. though that runs afoul of the rumor that the X1 is ending production. so it's a wait-and-see game now

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i guess that could work as long as the same games are released on the 3 platforms.

if you start having "exclusive" games for the home version, what is the fucking point of the switch then
This was probably their thought process. You have to be very careful with these things not to divide your user base, because you'll never be able to make both sides happy. Home users want games that push the hardware, mobile users want guaranteed compatibility. It's better this way.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
ah ok. then that would be the expectations of the speculation thread. something close to the Xbox One S + DLSS. anything less than this, and they might as well just overclock Mariko. though that runs afoul of the rumor that the X1 is ending production. so it's a wait-and-see game now
Right my thoughts on a TV only version are based on what we've been talking about in the speculation thread
Though being rid of a screen battery and other stuff could open up a bit of funds if they cared to apply it toward a more capable GPU ... or whatever... basically that they could build a "PS5" for cheaper I think.

But like I said I don't think a TV only device would come this year...

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
No. The fewer switch specs the better for optimization reasons. The switch is meant as a hybrid console. I don't like that stuff being taken away even as "an option" because that option muddies the waters. Focus on giving us the best hybrid experience possible. The day the hybrid experience becomes anything less than the best switch experience is the day Nintendo loses touch with the original vision for the platform.

how lame would it be to have this cool hybrid console only to discover that the best version of it is some stupid box that only sits under your TV and has no portability. You'd have to buy that version to play the games in their best possible way, and that version completely removes what makes the switch so special.

why are so many people obsessed with removing the switch's hybrid nature? Why do so many people want a console only version? Just keep your switch in the dock.

the switch lite at least isn't a compromised version of the switch in handheld mode, and at leas it stays consistent with the idea that you can play the switch anywhere. It's not a hybrid, but it's way more in line with the platform's vision than a stupid home version would be.

If there ever is a home only version Nintendo must make sure that it is no more powerful than the docked hybrid model just like the lite is no less powerful than the hybrid model in handheld mode.
God, thank you for articulating my feelings on this better than I've ever been able to. Especially the bolded.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
No. The fewer switch specs the better for optimization reasons. The switch is meant as a hybrid console. I don't like that stuff being taken away even as "an option" because that option muddies the waters. Focus on giving us the best hybrid experience possible.
I definitely see your point, but if the "best hybrid experience possible" for Hyrule Warriors is 20fps and a blurry image, then Nintendo should do something and do it quickly, because this is not a great way to play games.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely see your point, but if the "best hybrid experience possible" for Hyrule Warriors is 20fps and a blurry image, then Nintendo should do something and do it quickly, because this is not a great way to play games.
I mean I would certainly like Nintendo to get around to making a switch 2 or switch pro or whatever it may be, I just want them to continue with this design philosophy in the future. I don't ever want Nintendo to go back to a standalone home console/handheld console again.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hot take: Chasing performance is what every console manufacturer or game developer should do first and foremost. Games are meant to be played - and performance (read: framerate) is the most crucial aspect here.

Nobody wants to play the new Hyrule Warriors at 20fps in the year 2021 - but unfortunately there is no alternative, that's why people buy it.

I had a PC that easily out performed the Switch, I chose portability and UX as my main drivers, games catalogue second, and nowhere for framerate and resolution in the picture. The hottest take is people want different things and the power race means little for a great many.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Switch isn't a platform... its a device on a platform.
The platform will transcend any one form factor

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
If it ever exists, it should not perform better than the base model. Nintendo's goal will (or at least should) always be to push the hybrid form factor, and any other form should be lesser/incomplete, but with a lower price acknowledging the compromise. For a consumer who values higher resolutions and the like, Nintendo marketing a docked-only product as better would really disincentivize them ever trying the hybrid. There's going to be people that outright will never use handheld mode despite giving it a try, but in my case I 'discovered' the value in the form factor only after trying it.

Were I Nintendo, I'd probably never make a docked-only product. And if for whatever reason I did, it'd come near the end of the lifecycle as an exceptionally cheap point of entry, something like the wedge 2DS or the Wii Mini.

I agree that AoC was rough, but the answer should be to release a revision of the hybrid model, not a pumped up dock-only product.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Chasing performance is what every console manufacturer or game developer should do first and foremost. Games are meant to be played - and performance (read: framerate) is the most crucial aspect here.

Yeah, that's a flaming hot take there. Nintendo, apart from the Wii U, has been doing tremendously well doing their own thing. Saying they "should" do what you think is a priority is a little entitled, don't you think?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just want a dockable Switch Lite. The current Switch is a bit bigger and heavier than I'd like in a portable, with the Switch Lite being much more portable, but I'm not quite ready to give up TV play in the process.

Jun 10, 2018
The general market has soundly rejected the standalone Nintendo home console, based on the dwindling sales numbers gen to gen barring the Wii. This insistence by the significantly smaller yet vocal Nintendo home console fanbase in asking them to try again in a segment they've downsized from due to said performance inconsistencies doesn't make sense.

At least with the Switch Lite it's essentially a permanently undocked Switch already playing into the base Switch's handheld dominant design. In other words, if you never once docked your Switch, base Switch isn't doing anything from a handheld perspective wholly different than the Switch Lite, despite the latter's QoL improvements.

A home console only Switch literally puts Nintendo back into the weak spot of designing from a stationary first concept, which will summarily get passed over by both Sony/MS offerings and the Switch/Lite as well.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
As an extra option I think a docked only Switch could be a good idea but it would almost assuredly not go in the direction Era wants. It wouldn't be the beefed up 4K console some are dreaming up, in fact it'd be more like a budget priced microconsole or even stick you just plug into the back of your tv. Think less along the lines of PS/Xbox and more along the lines of Shield/Roku.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The traditional "big box" home console market is way too much of a red ocean for Nintendo to really prioritize.

Kids are becoming less and less graphics obsessed anyway, I remember during the N64/PSX era, 2D platformers was somewhat taboo, but today it's no problem having Fortnite and Minecraft be top platform titles on even the highest end hardware.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't make a difference to me personally. But "should"? Maybe? I assume they crunched the numbers on this and will either release one or they won't. The Switch Lite is already a compromise of the original Switch concept.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there should be a console dock for people that want performance, so a dock that just increases resolution and frame rate

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm down for a Switch revision, but I've always said that there should be some sort of dock or something that's got some extra beef in it. Would be a better alternative to just a whole new dedicated hook up to your TV box imo.
This would require games reacting seamlessy to an entire GPU being hotswapped in the middle of the game.

I'm not a programmer but that sounds like a nightmare

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Well, yes. But only if all games are compatible with all the family of systems: Switch, Switch Lite and Switch TV. A 4K Switch TV-only console from 2021 would be way more powerful than its little brothers. Not sure they could make it work for all machines without pushing old consoles too far or gimping the new one.
So if they go that route they might have to have some exclusive games for the newer machine.