• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think so, because of the hardware component.

Maybe the O2 line comes back with more extreme sports games.

I would like some new IP from some of their studios, though.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As solid as Guitar Hero live was, it was also the final nail in the coffin for that series

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine whatever licensing deals they had in place are long gone. Until they make a completely new one and somehow manage to make the thing free 2 play with a regular stream of new songs plastic rock will stay dead I fear.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be for it if only for the new instrument controllers, so I don't have to worry about my 10 year old GH5 controller shitting the bed.

Then again, the build quality of the GH Live controllers absolutely sucked compared to the older ones, so that would likely be the case again.

Otherwise, Rock Band 4 is filling that void, and even then the people didn't want it when it released

:(
Just the worst take

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
After GH Live I really doubt they'll take another crack at it this soon but stranger things have happened. For anyone with a PC, please enjoy CloneHero in all its unofficial glory.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd much rather just get a new run of Rock Band instruments. The game still supports your old DLC and doesn't make you rebuy any songs in a 'remake'.

Activision drove the GH brand into the ground. GH Live was also a disaster with a genuinely terrible business model. It soured me on anything with the Guitar Hero name.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I actually could see guitar hero coming back. GH live had some good ideas like the online music mode so you didn't have to buy DLC. But they changed things that didn't need to be changed.

remastered GH1-3 (or just 2&3) with the regular controller would be ample. Especially if controller support and legacy controller support is there.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I never played a Guitar Hero game, would it be possible to make the plastic guitar optional? Can the buttons be mapped on a controller? It would be a great switch/vr game

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The peripheral-based rhythm game craze died a death after they flooded the market and I think it's a good thing that it hasn't managed a comeback yet.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Guitar Hero Live is one of the best music games of all time. The controllers, while odd at first, were a major step up and made it impossible for me to play Rock Band and GHTV was pretty fuckingv dope. Just tuning in to a channel and rocking out to music videos.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
The older games (1-3) were playable with a normal controller but it wasn't as much fun.
That would allow them to lower the production of plastic guitars though, which would make the investment less risky. They could include them with preorders (for a higher price) and only have a small batch available at launch, mainly on Amazon and other online stores.

That would allow them to lower the production of plastic guitars though, which would make the investment less risky. They could include them with preorders (for a higher price) and only have a small batch available at launch, mainly on Amazon and other online stores.
TBH, Guitar Hero is pretty worthless without the guitar peripherals. The entire interface is designed around them and you don't get remotely the same kind of feedback with a controller as you do with physically strumming the notes.

Oct 28, 2017
Activision will take another crack at Guitar Hero at some point in the future but right now they seemed more focused on evolving these old series with original games to capitalize on their remakes (Crash 4).

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Remaster GH2 so more Explorer guitars are available for Clone Hero

This, I dread the day my explorer dies. I had my first one that I got with GH2 for 360 for about 10 years and it actually worked great all the way up until one button finally gave up and I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix since there was no game I played with it anymore.

Then Clone Hero became a thing and I was looking for weeks for another explorer and finally got one for 60€ about 2 years ago. Still works great.

i wish...a working guitar hero 3 pc port would be fucking nice.

Clone Hero is what you are looking for, waaaay better than a new GH3 port would ever be. Imagine Frets on Fire, but actually good.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
After Rock Band 4 killed Mad Catz, I think it's very unlikely that anyone is going to get into making plastic instruments for a large audience again. Playing on a controller may work for some people, but unless the instruments are available and affordable, Guitar Hero (or even any possibility of future Rock Band games) will never sell in big numbers. And if they don't sell in big numbers, then you can't justify spending a lot on music licenses. And without a good selection of music on any reboot, why would anyone want to make plastic instruments? Kind of a Catch-22.

I'd guess that other rhythm games may make a comeback long before we see Activision try to bring back GH.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
While they wouldn't have to make guitars, selling a remake without the main thing that made the original games popular or making it limited doesn't make sense. At that point you're not even appealing to the right now small group of people who would be interested in a remake.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to see that type of game - very much a fad, and also a gimmick - ever come back around again. And I say that as a huge fan, who still has all my toy instruments and plays Rock Band regularly.

But fads just don't repeat. Some settle into long-term niche popularity, like, say, Rubik's cubes or Beanie Babies, both of which are still around but will never again be massive phenomenons. Add in the gimmick, and stuff like Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero, or even Wii Sports, are just never going to happen again. If they want a hit music game, they'll need to come up with a new gimmick, a new twist, not rehash their old one.

That said, I have no doubt that we'll see another music-based fad game again. It just won't be a revival of an old one. It won't be Singstar, Just Dance, Guitar Hero or Rock Band, or Dance Dance Revolution. It'll be something new, even if that new thing is very similar with just a different name.

Like, I could see a singing or dancing game mashup with "battle royale", where people perform briefly, get judged by the crowd, and move up through a bracket.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I couldn't see GH being next... isn't the main appeal of that series more with the music and peripherals than the visuals? The mechanics of the gameplay also don't seem like they'd be ripe for updating in any meaningful way, too.

And yeah, I don't see a ton of people being ready to invest in all the peripherals again.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
They should make a deal with EA/Disney and do a Simpsons Hit & Run remaster. Vivendi/Radical were the original team behind it.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This, I dread the day my explorer dies. I had my first one that I got with GH2 for 360 for about 10 years and it actually worked great all the way up until one button finally gave up and I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix since there was no game I played with it anymore.

Then Clone Hero became a thing and I was looking for weeks for another explorer and finally got one for 60€ about 2 years ago. Still works great.

Clone Hero is what you are looking for, waaaay better than a new GH3 port would ever be. Imagine Frets on Fire, but actually good.
i have it but it doesnt detect the motion from guitar for starpower and its annoying lol. guitar hero 4 modded is pretty good, but doesnt have the flexibiliity of clone hero but it has a working guitar lol.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it's too recent compared to the Tony Hawk games that people loved coming back, plus the reliance on plastic accessories again will not make it cost effective to do as a small scale effort project.

EDIT: oh and the licensing too, forgot about that.

Basically alot of money would be needed, this wouldn't be a small scale thing to do (which remasters tend to be and why they're attractive to studios) so I can't see ATVi touching this IP again for a loooong time

They should make a deal with EA/Disney and do a Simpsons Hit & Run remaster. Vivendi/Radical were the original team behind it.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just feel like this isn't the time to bring it back yet. Maybe years from now when RB4 is gone, then it might be a good time to reintroduce GH, but I just don't think people are ready to buy a plastic guitar anytime soon. And those who are wanting a new game have Clone Hero on PC. That game is free to download and easy to set-up with all the legacy songs and new songs charted by the community.

Now that's a remaster I can get behind.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing back Guitar Hero would mean taking another big gamble on plastic instruments, and given how long Live ones hung around retail I really doubt they want to try again. Unless they want to follow in THQ's uDraw shaped footsteps.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
That awesome Wolverine game. Idk if it was Activision but the demo was fun, I'd be down for a remaster/remake.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Even EA stopped rock band. Everyone who wanted to play it had already

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I don't think there's a point to do a remaster... they could simply make a greatest hits of the best songs from each game if there's still a market for Guitar Hero games (I don't think the market is reasonable enough to cover licensing costs nowadays)

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Activision could have any number of cool new IPs if they would just un-handcuff one of their countless talented studios from the Call of Duty grind

but they're not gonna

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't see it happening, but it would make me happy. I miss Guitar Hero/Rock Band a lot and wish I could play them again.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
They could do some kind of guitar hero with the switch where you use the joycons to do an air guitar. That could work and keep costs down of having peripherals. I wouldn't mind seeing it back in any form. TBH I want some next gen True Crime tho!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Exceeding unlikely...I'd almost say never gonna happen.

Plastic toy music games are absolutely dead, people have moved on, not to mention Guitar Hero wouldn't really gain much from a graphical overhaul.