• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Both games have received great reviews, heralded as some of the best JRPGs you could play this year. The localization has increased in quality so much it has become some of the best in the industry. Builders 2 improved so much on its predecessor it's basically a great JRPG on its own even outside of the building, and DQXI is this sprawling turn-based JRPG with a great story and great characters. I can't mention enough how good your party is in DQXI, I was so sad the game even ended when I just wanted to explore more with Erik, Serena, Sylvando, Eight, etc. It's the best starting point you could think of to get into the series, and my personal top 3 DQ (and I wasn't even expecting much from this game to begin with).

It feels like DQ really found its footing to today's world. For the first time it really feels like a shared universe to me akin to comic books. You see legends being passed down, characters returning, classic monsters reappearing as important characters. Now Builders 2 is even the actual sequel of Dragon Quest 2! This harsh and unforgiving game has now a cute and uplifting sequel where the final boss has become your best friend (and probably the coolest party member I've seen in a while).

+ Let's talk about Smash, now Dragon Quest is on the map. People now really wants Hero and are excited for it. I was impressed seeing this tweet when Banjo is a massively more liked character for 90s kids (because they also weren't exposed to DQ at all back then). Really seems people are turning around for Hero after the initial indifference.

Dragon Quest has now a lot going for it and it's definitely worth checking out. Two great games, all very well liked despite most people having next to no attachment to the franchise itself and not being marketed as a JRPG powerhouse in the same vein as FF, that's evidence enough that the quality speaks for itself.

N5bOjt9.gif

wTPISYj.gif

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
I definitely agree! Dragon Quest XI was amazing, and the amount of detail is amazing! Selecting "No" at most conversations ends up with hilarious situations, such as the Jade kicking gif in the OP!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm absolutely loving Builders 2 on the switch and it's made me want DQXI even more when it releases later this year.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only played 8 but it was incredible. So many systems in place, cool characters, etc.

Amazing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dragon Quest is pure JRPG comfort good.

It's such a charming franchise, it's massive popularity in Japan exists for a reason.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo of DQB2 and was absolutely bowled over by how charming it is, and how brilliant the dialogue is. Those character designs too!

I've never played any other DQ game though. DQXI is visually stunning, but I'm unsure about whether I can play a big game where the main mechanic is turn based combat. I'm always fine with playing Pokemon games, but anything beyond that and I'm generally put off by how incredibly slow and grindy turn based fighting is.

Will that definitely make DQXI a slog for me?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Agreed.

Now, I'm just patiently waiting for the next DQ Monsters game! At it's best, DQ-style monster raising was always my favorite type of "mons" game.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
I played the demo of DQB2 and was absolutely bowled over by how charming it is, and how brilliant the dialogue is. Those character designs too!

I've never played any other DQ game though. DQXI is visually stunning, but I'm unsure about whether I can play a big game where the main mechanic is turn based combat. I'm always fine with playing Pokemon games, but anything beyond that and I'm generally put off by how incredibly slow it is.

Yes, regretfully. Go look up some gameplay on the youtube if you think you might be able to tolerate it though.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's always a great time to get into Dragon Quest, it's a great series. But it does look like Dragon Quest 11 has revitalized the hype in a major way.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DQXI is one of the best games I've ever played. I hope Switch players enjoy it.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
The first Dragon Quest title I put any amount of time into was DQVII on the 3DS, which I stuck with until I had beaten it. I have always been a huge fan of Final Fantasy, but I wanted to get into Square's other OG RPG series.

What a long freaking slog it was. The monsters are bizarre and cartoonish, and the music feels more silly and circus-y, less epic or sweeping or heroic.

Still... once it was all done, as I looked back on my time with it, I couldn't help but remember it with fondness for some reason. The journey was too often not enjoyable while I was on it. But in retrospect, I am super happy I went on the trip and the fun moments stick out while the rough stretches, while still in my memory, no longer carry a sting.

While I probably won't get into the Builders series, I am excited for its existence and am definitely going to get Dragon Quest XI S and give the series another go. I'm also looking forward to playing Smash as the Hero from DQVIII
(the entry I bought for 3DS but didn't have in me to start so close after DQVII, which has resulted in a backlog burial so deep that I may never successfully unearth it again)

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
The greatest jRPG series of all time. People who are jRPG fans, but have not jumped into this series yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

I've never played any other DQ game though. DQXI is visually stunning, but I'm unsure about whether I can play a big game where the main mechanic is turn based combat. I'm always fine with playing Pokemon games, but anything beyond that and I'm generally put off by how incredibly slow and grindy turn based fighting is.

If you have a Switch, that version of the game allows you to speed up battles. I'll totally be using that feature.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I'm surprised by how much fun I'm having with DQB2. It reminds me of Animal Crossing at times just for how charming it is.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

I'd say Persona could be the turn based game that you should give a look if you're not a fan of turn based, it's very stylish feeling contemporary feeling despite being turn based. If you're not a fan of turn based, Dragon Quest XI is about as traditional and basic as it gets. I personally had fun with the game, though it has many shortcomings. I'm a fan of turn based and from the old school though, in your situation I think Builders is more the Dragon Quest for you.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hell no, this is not a series for everyone, even for people who like jrpgs. I dont think it deserves an ounce of praise. Truly one of the worst the genre has to offer

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy and play Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 immediately, but Square Enix can't be bothered to release them on PC or Xbox for whatever ridiculous reason.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hero is only winning in that Twitter Post because Liking something is better than Retweeting for people as they don't want others to see sometimes.

Should have been a poll.

Exist 2 Inspire