• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Worse than ever, honestly. Not that I expected that BioWare was somehow going to take a genre they know nothing about, pair that with technology they aren't particularly good with, and somehow deliver something great, but isn't it surprising just how many lessons remain unlearned from Destiny?

Say what you will, I fucking loathe Destiny 2, but Bungie's work is the absolute best out there right now -- if you're going to do any of these types of games, it is required fucking reading, both Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. What went wrong is just as important as what went right with those games. Anthem shows an ignorance to those entries in the genre that, to me, is surprisingly staggering.

You know what is funny is, Division 2 is now the best looking game in the genre because it promises to be basically the same thing as Division 1, plus a raid. Destiny 2 actually failed to be "more of the same" -- there was too much removed from the formula that Bungie had to go back and re-discover over time, and by the end it was far too late in mine and most peoples' estimations, I would think. People want iteration in this genre; we want devs to cheat off of other peoples work; take what works, and roll again on the stuff that doesn't in the hopes that it brings us closer to a more complete vision for the genre.

It's an incomplete genre, in my opinion. It isn't well-formed. Bungie has struggled with this, and they're basically the best at it, or were. Everyone has a fundamental content problem, but bring your technology problems (poor engine / scalability, in Bungie's case, non-seamless design in Anthem's, among other issues), or your poor social features (no text chat, no ping, lack of cohesive features that allow people to easily play together), and you're just proving over and over why people are both simultaneously thirsty for more games in this genre and at the same time loathe an entry of it.

Meanwhile, Division is the most boring of all of these games, and yet, it has sound technology, it is an iterative step, which is what most people want, and it sounds like they actually listened to the criticisms of the previous game. It's ridiculous when you have such fucking monolithic presences like Bungie and BioWare failing in their forte, and goddamn UbiSoft is swinging in to steal that thunder. At this point, all Ubi's team has to do is fucking show up, and they'll have the best entry in the genre available.

So, yeah, the looter shooter genre is disappointing at best for me. Going back to Destiny 1 and thinking ahead about how this entire thing could evolve, I'd never expect that things could actually get worse, but the worst vanilla Destiny had to offer is miles better than Anthem's best, and that's a bad sign for the genre.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I never committed too hard to a shlooter but with Anthem being Anthem I uninstalled it and reinstalled Destiny 2 to give it a go (didnt play hardly anything at launch). Pretty good so far!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3682.jpg

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dont particularly care for shlooters but the luke warm reception of Anthem does make me hopeful in the sense that Publishers and Developers wont see the shooter looter genre as a golden egg due to over saturation.

Im hoping we are going to see a lot more third party investment in more traditional genres including rpgs and single player titles going forward.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Shlooter is a terrible name.

I think these types of games need to do a better job of making players have a good reason to play end game. These games are all way too repetitious, the rewards seem off and enemies are generally bullet sponges. They all make the same mistakes or don't fix the problems that other games have.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Somebody listened to the Beastcast today. You made this thread just to use that word didn't you OP?

Oct 27, 2017
It's here to stay, shlooters are bringing in a lot of money.

My shlooter of choice will be The Division 2 this year.

And shlooter is the best name.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
4 pages and admins haven't banned the term 'shlooter' yet. This place is slipping.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Destiny and played it daily for two years. Soured on it eventually. Tried The Division and enjoyed it a bit for a month. Purchased Destiny 2 and was done in 30 hours.

These games are designed to waste your time. They are designed to be addiction. Every moment spent playing these games is a moment not spent playing something better.

Bungie and Bioware are capable of so much more than Destiny and Anthem. And it is a shame that this is what they are making.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I loved Destiny and played it daily for two years. Soured on it eventually. Tried The Division and enjoyed it a bit for a month. Purchased Destiny 2 and was done in 30 hours.

These games are designed to waste your time. They are designed to be addiction. Every moment spent playing these games is a moment not spent playing something better.

I disagree. A shlooter (or a plain old looter like Diablo) can absolutely provide you with quality, enjoyable time well spent. I do not regret the odd 500 hours I have sunk into The Division, or the 700 hours I have in Diablo 3. These are games you can play to relax. Not every minute of your gaming time has to be spent playing through engrossing stories, sometimes you just want to relax with good gameplay and satisfying combat and comparing loot and so on.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Generally speaking, it feels like these games lean too heavily on the loot at the expense of gameplay. The Division, Destiny, these feel like versions of games I played over a decade ago. Borderlands 2 came out over SIX YEARS AGO and the new kids on the block still feel like they are playing catch-up in what should be very rudimentary areas (level design, combat variety). As though the fact you can play with your friends is a good enough excuse for why some of these games are otherwise so boring.

Simply put, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
shlooter kinda sound like schlong tbh...

but i suppose that ea needs some big balls to release a game in that state...

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would wait until Division 2. The game seems full of content and for me looks the best of its kind.

Ubisoft support is also pretty great so the game will get constant updates.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I just want Borderlands 3 to come and refresh the genre.

I've played both Destiny games. Tried out The Division. Gave the Anthem demo a shot.

Warframe is good, but Borderlands is just the GOAT when it comes to looting and shooting. The games have their issues, and Gearbox does as well, but they're really the only company I might trust to do a looty shooty "shared MMO" thing a la Destiny.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
There still isn't a CoD, WoW, Fortnite, or LoL of the genre yet. All of these games keep stumbling out of the gate like a drunken teenager, they are consistently the worst implementations of the GAAS philosophy. GAAS games in other genres usually at least release in a state that feels like it's a fully fleshed out game.

Borderlands being the one different case.

Nov 4, 2017
I stood by "NESflix" as a term for the NES classics on Switch. And I'm going to bat for "shlooter"; I love it.

I hope shlooters do OK though, they're something a lot of my friends are into and I'd like to get into them in future when I have the availability. Right now, I'm a little shlort on time...

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
I fell in love and out of love with the "shlooter" with Destiny. I loved the vanilla campaign since it was so non-intrusive and felt so bareboned. Replaying something like Diablo 3 is such a bore due to the horrible narrative it forces on you. Destiny had the decency to not have unwarranted story, just enough and just enough gibberish to make you think it was deeper than it really was. Then came the expansions everyone else loved and I loathed.