• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Total War has never been on console, but the main reason (according to Creative Assembly) has been the lack fo CPU grunt to support the battles.

That's all changed now. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S have, comparatively, very powerful CPUs that should be more than up to the task of running the Total War games. Not only that but both have GPUs and SSDs more than capable too.

Total Warhammer 3 is in development. If they released a packaged Total Warhammer 1|2|3 on PS5 and XSX they would be making bank, it would be a dream, and almost certainly sell like hot cakes.

iu

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Would need mouse and keyboard support. No way you can play this on controller.

At 4K ultra a 2080 Ti gets about 55 fps. So new consoles can run at lower settings. Depends how much of a step up the 3rd game is visually.

Also, needs mod support.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Issue is likely more input oriented than CPU oriented. They don't even bother with controller support.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
RTS has never had a power issue. It's always been about control. Mouse and Keyboard are non-negotiable unless it's Pikmin level simplified.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Could make it work with gyro? And wasnt there some RTS on console that widens a selection circle for your units the longer you press the button?

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
There is no way a controller could allow you to play Total War. I have no idea how you would even start to simplify all the input.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It works fairly well on an Xbox One controller with Steam's button remapping, just not nearly as fat as KB/M obviously.

Certainly not impossible or unplayable as is being suggested here in this thread.

At 4K ultra a 2080 Ti gets about 55 fps. So new consoles can run at lower settings.
And almost 100fps at High settings. As always, forget everything to Ultra.

OP
OP
Doctor Avatar

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Mouse and Keyboard are non-negotiable

Thing is we've heard that claim about any number of genres in the past. FPS games. MMORPGs. Point and click. Grand strategy. Diablo action RPGs. Town builders. Basically any game that starts on PC is said to be "impossible" with a controller. Until it suddenly isn't.

I have no fear that, just like all of those other genres, with a bit of work it could be made to work well enough to be acceptable. Especially since in Total War you can pause to issue commands - meaning it doesn't have to be as slick and quick as M&K anyway.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
It would be great to see the genre and a host of other strategy genres come to console... even if they had to be m&k only and come with a million warnings that a controller wouldn't work.

Total War Series, Age of Empires, Starcraft Remastered and 2, They are Billions... there are tons of fantastic games out there that it would be great for more people to experience.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
And almost 100fps at High settings. As always, forget everything to Ultra.

Yeah high settings probably with some tweaks would be target for consoles. Main thing is I try everything to get max unit sizes. Small unit sizes look rubbish.

I'm still playing it on my 1060 3GB... think I'll upgrade for the 3rd game. I've sunk a lot of hours into 1 and 2 so will be worth it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be interested for more RTS games to come to console, but I don't think the Total war games are going to be the ones to reignite that fire.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They could add mouse and keyboard input on Xbox and Playstation, FFXIV and other games do have it. But will they bother? Is there an actual public on those platforms? RTS are one of the smallest niches nowadays.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
You could certainly capture a large part of the control with a pad. Similar to how civ vi captures the map movement. I always played with the TW camera as though it was a FPS in terms of moving around the battlefield. For console: Left and right trigger does zoom. Right joystick does the first person vertical camera axis pivot stuff. The left joystick does the horizontal axis movement, strafe, forwards and backwards.

Selecting units could be done via shoulder buttons cycling and also simply moving the camera near a unit auto highlights it and highlighting unit then simply selected pressing A. Only issue really is issuing the various unit commands etc. But I really dont see an issue for the core mechanics and a pad. Of course as with all TW's you could always pause it, issue commands and unpause again anyway if things got too hectic.

I played over 1000 hrs in MEII and Empire, but lost interest after Rome II. I reckon the ones I played could work great on console. Rome II was actually more arcadey and dummed down for me anyway.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm an on-off TW fan and if they could sort out the controls, I would buy this on console.

I'd like to see them support whatever Sony come up with as a VR/Move replacement controller, which should make console play a breeze. As Doctor Avatar says, it's always impossible until it isn't. Making a controller a decent option is a heavy ask, but with DS gyro functionality there are definite possibilities there. XB controller, maybe a step too far though.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Yes. If we have some CA people here reading this, please do it. I would love for Total War and Mount and Blade II (which I think has been confirmed) to come to consoles.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
I'd be down for this. Another example of contollers doing well on pc games is the switch conversion of roller coaster tycoon 3, the duel wheel system is excellent.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically possible doesn't mean actually enjoyable.

See like every one of these ports that does come and nobody buys (like what Paradox attempted, and they ported their slower / less complicated games). There's a reason they didn't bother with Crusader Kings 3 despite partnering with Microsoft with Gamepass PC. Because while I'm sure there's a controller mod out there for that game, it doesn't mean it isn't tedious as shit to use.

If strategy devs thought controller input was remotely ideal, they would be putting it into their games by now

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The reason is called sales.
Games which require dedicated peripherals such as guitar hero or kinect titles etc had no difficulty selling.

Pretty much everybody has a keyboard and mouse lying around.

No one is going to buy a Total War game to play with a controller.

Some people might buy it to play with a mouse and keyboard

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is we've heard that claim about any number of genres in the past. FPS games. MMORPGs. Point and click. Grand strategy. Diablo action RPGs. Town builders. Basically any game that starts on PC is said to be "impossible" with a controller. Until it suddenly isn't.

I have no fear that, just like all of those other genres, with a bit of work it could be made to work well enough to be acceptable. Especially since in Total War you can pause to issue commands - meaning it doesn't have to be as slick and quick as M&K anyway.

Yeah it could be done quite well on PS5 with motion controls as a mouse I think.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've love to see it happen, but translating the full experience to a controller input would be a herculean task.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Games which require dedicated peripherals such as guitar hero or kinect titles etc had no difficulty selling.

Pretty much everybody has a keyboard and mouse lying around.

No one is going to buy a Total War game to play with a controller.

Some people might buy it to play with a mouse and keyboard
They probably scrap by even on PC, your best bet is on Xbox since it must be closer to PC than PS5 in terms of porting.

-

Btw, how isn't this thread a port begging thread lol?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Please no, they clearly planned a console release of Rome 2 & it almost killed the series, we don't need TW's gameplay consolised, unless they force M/KB support, then whatever.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
They could have released a cut down version of the game for consoles if it were worth the investment. The controls can't be translated to a controller and requiring a M/KB for a console is not a jump the industry has taken yet.

ThePunisher

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft allows for mouse and keyboard support, but it's up to the devs to implement it. They are Billions is the only RTS game I can think of that has that support on console though. However, the cpu on consoles have a hard time when all the zombies come at the end. I'm really looking forward to playing it again on the series X with that better CPU.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

the hardest difficulty removes your ability to issue orders while paused.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love some good RTS on console, but you'd need to basically reinvent the genre to make it work as intended without kb+m.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they can find a way to make it work with a controller, it wouldn't be ideal but of course is not impossible

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love some good RTS on console, but you'd need to basically reinvent the genre to make it work as intended without kb+m.

I enjoyed Halo Wars, Endwar, and Ruse *shrug*

The problem is that the "doomed to fail" mentality means that strategy games never get the budget or marketing they need.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Halo Wars, Endwar, and Ruse *shrug*

The problem is that the "doomed to fail" mentality means that strategy games never get the budget or marketing they need.
Wasn't Endwar the one where you used voice commands to order your troops?

I never played Halo Wars and never heard of ruse tbh. Isn't Halo Wars more of a small scale RTS? (As in: a small batallion of troops instead of huge armies)

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
It would be a serious investment, to make it work on consoles UI and controle wise. Controling 40 units in one battle seems almost impossible, so maybe they have to cut some stuff, but smaller battles with less units should work just fine.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a serious investment, to make it work on consoles UI and controle wise. Controling 40 units in one battle seems almost impossible, so maybe they have to cut some stuff, but smaller battles with less units should work just fine.

designing around only having smaller battles with less units would require completely rebalancing units/factions and the economy.

there factions that use lots of fodder units to tie up enemy forces. Also economies would have to be scaled down.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
designing around only having smaller battles with less units would require completely rebalancing units/factions and the economy.

there factions that use lots of fodder units to tie up enemy forces. Also economies would have to be scaled down.

You can already play like this right now in total war, if you don't use the control large army option, although getting your second army as reenforcements is a bit useless. Maybe you have to fight a second battle with the reenforcing armies, or if you have two full armies and the enemy only one, he can't use his full army to simulate you having an overwhelming force.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about that too!
Is the perfect moment but they really need to nail the UI to make it work...but if paradox made stellaris work i think CA could do it too

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
They've tried pushing into alternate modes of play for the Total War series, and though I think the Overworld could work quite well with a controller I'm not so sure about the RTS combat unless they rework it quite a bit (Fewer units, less detailed control, go back to a focus on R-P-S and abilities)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Couldn't help but think of this due to the title:

But yeah I would hope so. I've always wanted to try them, especially the latest one set in ancient China.