• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Obsidian's next RPG?

• BattleTech

• Fable

• Lost Odyssey

• Shadowrun

• The Outer Worlds 2

• Other Microsoft IP

• Something new

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 26, 2017
Obsidian can easily make an 90+ game when all the 200+ devs are working on a big ass RPG with AAA budget and a lot of time.

The Outer Worlds scored 86 and it took 3 years and 70-80 devs at Obsidian.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
I would love Alpha Protocol 2. The first game was so much fun and felt like a solid stealth RPG.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I would love a Pillars 3...

But now that I've seen an option for an Obsidian-made Shadowrun, something Mass Effect/KOTOR in style... Hoooooooo mama

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
In a just world we get a proper PoE3 in RTwP/pre-rendered style to finish off that story. Then they can branch it out into some other form. I don't really expect that and I'll be happy with whatever they can do to further that world, though.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
They could deliver a true next-gen space epic adventure with the backing of Microsoft. So the same basic setup as Outer worlds, just more worlds, more npcs, better visuals, the works.

The table is set, all they gotta do now is serve the meal.

The Outer Worlds 2, bring it!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
From what's in the poll:
Something new > Outer World 2 (the most likely) > Shadowrun

Fable would be terrible, and I don't want a WRPG/CRPG dev to work on Lost Odyssey. I don't really see which "other MS IP" would fit too (I don't want a Halo RPG).
Battletech already got a good RPG recently, I don't see why Obsidian should work on this either.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
God damn can you let developers actually release a game before you start on their next release

it's all about the cycle of announce to release and then off to the next game to repeat the process

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Playground are already working on the new Fable, so it's definitely not that.

My bet is probably a new IP.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
they seems to follow the multi team route, so def will be a TOW2, but I think there will be more.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
I want pillars 3 but I really hope they try to modernize the game like divinity instead of trying to fully emulate old school rpg even the cons. Keep the world, character and writing style same but improve on the level design, quests and combat.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Pillars. Obsidian has now a 200 people team. TOW was made with arround 70 to 80.
The TOW team probably is gonna work on TOW 2 and DLC. As they have already ideas for a sequel and MS seems to be liking TOW also.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
We already got two of the best RPGs ever made in the Shadowrun universe. Like, in the last few years.

Let it rest.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I have this weird feeling that we're gonna get a big, over the shoulder camera Pillars action RPG. Microsoft will probably want a big budget showstopper, Pillars is a fairly decent brand now, and the team already got to make 2 isometric ones.

Honestly I'd play it.

May 10, 2019
We already got two of the best RPGs ever made in the Shadowrun universe. Like, in the last few years.

Let it rest.

Yeah, to hell with this.

I want an big open Shadowrun action RPG that I can play with a controller, that doesn't have an unworkable UI and crap fonts that don't scale properly on big screens, and that lets me form a running crew for missions with NPCs or shit, even multiplayer.

Don't tell me what I have to settle for.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I expect a new IP first.

Then a Shadowrun at some point. That's just too perfect a pairing.

I hope Pillars lives on. :(

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
They would be so perfect for the next Fable 😭😭 they're good on stories plus they have that same humor u find in Fable.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they have some other projects that are earlier on in development. I personally would like to see some a new IP first and then perhaps a sequel to an already existing IP. Microsoft needs to be able to control the conversation around the Xbox family not having new IP or experiences from their first party.

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018
Over the past few years, Feargus said he would be interested in doing a Pillars of Eternity spinoff game in the style of Skyrim. They're probably going to do something like that in the future. However, it's still possible we'll get an isometric Pillars of Eternity 3 to finish off the watcher storyline.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
The fact that Matt Booty recently said OW2 would likely be xbox and pc exclusive makes me this that PD isnt a problem.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If Outer Worlds is a commercial success, MS will definitely fund a sequel. If not, they'll probably try to get them to work on a new IP.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My brain says throw the budget at them and let them make a prestige passion project with a new ip
My heart says Alpha Protocol 2

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I would rather have InXile doing a new shadowrun than obsidian

they tried their hands at new ips lately and made two games i like (pillars and tyranny). let them run wild again, but with proper backing this time

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
Outer Worlds: Old World Blues expansion ;)
Seeing as paradox is playing ball with microsoft, my hearts desire is another tyranny game (Paradox owns the IP)
Absolute wildcard is, I want to see a indepth, dialogue-heavy rpg set in the Endless universe

Also its amusing @ all the Shadowrun posts, seeing as Outer Worlds invokes the message/politics behind cyberpunk rather than the aesthetic (you normally see the other way round)
No offense I don't think obsidian can do a better job that HB at shadowrun, they just know the setting like the back of their hand.