• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First half of the year was hard, but I had a backlog of Switch games, so, I made it. This second half is just bananas. No way I'll be able to play all these this year, but I'm gonna get them anyway.

Mario Maker 2(got)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening
Possibly Daemon X Machina, not sure on this one yet.
Luigi's Mansion 3(Gonna tie MM2 for my GOTY)
Pokemon Sword & Shield double pack

Also plan on picking up Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Crash Team Racing, and Doom Eternal.

Rest of the year is pretty much maxed out as far as gaming budget goes.

Still holding out for a surprise announcement of 3D World in September for Dec or Jan. That might put 2019 over 2017 for me.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The pacing was of course off, but this is an extremely solid lineup. I don't think I've ever been more interested in so many games in a single year. My Switch collection is slowly becoming my biggest out of every console ever.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've been disappointed for half the year, but I'm really happy with the rest. I don't buy many games at launch in a year, and several are going to be Switch games in the next few months. That's big for me.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
First half was essentially indies for me on my Switch. And Sekiro on PC.
However, the second half will litteraly kill my wallet. Out of the 10 second half Nintendo published games, I already bought Mario Maker 2, preordered Fire emblem and I plan to buy LM3, Pokemon, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening. Dragon Quest for sure will be bought later on and DaemonXMachina is a "maybe" at this point.
And that's only the published Nintendo titles....

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
This is why I am happy to see Nintendo ceasing to develop games for the 3DS, otherwise the number of games in the OP's collage would have been halved (if they had).

It's not as good as 2017, and there's nary a game that I am salivating to play however, it is a compelling and varied line-up all the same — already got Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 on my wish list, and I am hoping that both Hollow Knight: Silksong and Untitled Goose Game comes out later this year too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing lineup - better and more interesting than what they had to offer in 2017 in my opinion.
Would have been even crazier with Animal Crossing this year....but that would have been a bit too much heh.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely too many lol. Especially with them loading them all in the back half of the year, it's tough on my wallet! Buying (or bought) literally every game in the image.

The variety is very nice and they all seem to be really good at what they wanna do.

If Animal Crossing made it out I think there'd be a strong case for this being Nintendo's best singular year ever as a software publisher. It's still up there I'd say.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Nothing there I love the look of, some decent games I'm sure, everything has been downhill since 2017, Botw, SMO and XB2.

Better than 2018, but not better than 2017. It's going to be a great year. I want a lot of the games this year :)

I agree.

Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Mario Kart, Rabbids, Splatoon and Xenoblade - 2017 was absolutely top tier stuff from launch through to December.

And that's not including the likes of Sonic Mania, Steamworld Dig and Golf Story helping to fill out the calendar.

2018 was ultimately disappointing, but had some bright spots.

2019 up until about three weeks ago had been absolutely shit with just two first party releases - a port of a game no one really loved and a solid but uninspiring Yoshi game.

There's a lot to like going forward, but I'm not sure any of them will stack up to 2017's best.

But it's all personal taste. If I got a new Mario, Metroid, Bayonetta and Monolith Soft IP next year I'd proclaim it better than 2018 + 2019 combined.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Meh. Luigi's Mansion 3 is the only one that appeals to me. Pokemon looks mediocre so far. There are people who will love this lineup, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Luckily, third party published releases and the Switch's great backlog are enough for me.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Very good year although far too much in the second half and not enough in the first once again. Definitely has the potential to surpass 2017 and I'm glad they're becoming less reliant on Wii U ports.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Better than 2017 and 2018 imo. MM2 is good and still lots of other games to come

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what makes dragon quests builder 2 any different than the other myriad of multi platform titles on the switch?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Switch has hit overdrive that hasn't been seen before imo. As a first party company to release so many games in a year is kind of insane. I wonder if they're gonna keep it up.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
strong lineup, but i feel that its lacking in the "one big game" that everyone is talking about, it doesnt have the smash ultimate, or BOTW/odyssey combo, that was hyper trending online.
i think they wanted animal crossing to be that game, but they couldnt hit this year in the end.

there is. take a better look to Luigi's mansion 3. it'll be the "odyssey" of 2019.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
strong lineup, but i feel that its lacking in the "one big game" that everyone is talking about, it doesnt have the smash ultimate, or BOTW/odyssey combo, that was hyper trending online.
i think they wanted animal crossing to be that game, but they couldnt hit this year in the end.

Pokémon and Super Mario Maker 2.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do we know for sure that dxm is published by nintendo? It's a marvelous game, I don't see evidence of that.
screenshot2019-07-20a8tj90.png

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
My thoughts are I wish they would stop back loading games every year. Would be real nice to have something to play January-March.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise that the Wii U ports had basically dried up until I saw that list.

It's pretty good, but like others have said I'd like more games during the first half of the year. At least Animal Crossing is coming early 2020.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty weak so far. 2nd half is much better with Astral chain, links awakening, Pokémon, dq11. I think all of those games will deliver on quality.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon is the single biggest and most important game the Switch will ever be getting and people are saying this year doesn't have a big game. LOL

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Here were some of the notable Nintendo-published releases of 2017:

2017-completevdjpa.jpg

And here were some of the Nintendo-published releases of 2018:

2018-completey2jtn.jpg

There were also two or three Labo kits in 2018, iirc.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Link's Awakening alone carries the lineup for me. Fortunately, Astral Chain looks genuinely promising in its own right and I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 3 a lot more than I thought I would at E3, and I'm in for both. Dragon Quest XI S also looks like it could be marvelous, I just hope I have time to play a 100- or whatever-hour game (nope). It's not a mind-blowing lineup, but it's pretty darn good.

That said, I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about Pokémon Sword & Shield right now, Fire Emblem: Three Houses doesn't appeal to me, and Daemon X Machina... enh. So it goes both ways a bit for me, but mostly I'm pleased with it.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great lineup.

I'm a bit worried about the first half of 2020. I have a feeling Nintendo will (rightly? probably) consider Animal Crossing enough to get then through the first two quarters of the calendar year. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised during the next Direct, which should showcase early 2020 releases.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening alone carries the lineup for me. Fortunately, Astral Chain looks genuinely promising in its own right and I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 3 a lot more than I thought I would at E3, and I'm in for both. It's not a mind-blowing lineup, but it's pretty darn good.
Next year will feature a new Mega Man X, a new Okami, a new Wind Waker and a new Chrono Trigger. #believe

Oct 27, 2017
When the weakest link you have is Pokémon, then you're doing something right (though not for Pokémon...)

Hopefully I can get into the Switch with the Lite. I much rather play a handheld than a console, but the OG is too bulky for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's a really strong lineup. This year really feels to me like the first year making good on the promise of one consolidated platform. And I'm super hyped for Luigi's Mansion 3, it's the most I've looked forward to a title on the platform since Super Mario Odyssey. Link's Awakening looks amazing. Fire Emblem this coming week looks great. I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Shield, too.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great lineup.

I'm a bit worried about the first half of 2020. I have a feeling Nintendo will (rightly? probably) consider Animal Crossing enough to get then through the first two quarters of the calendar year. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised during the next Direct, which should showcase early 2020 releases.
If I had to guess an early 2020 title, I would say Super Mario 3D World Deluxe. Add some extra characters like NSMBU Deluxe did, and/or new courses like we saw in the Switch version of Captain Toad. Add HD Rumble and amiibo functionality -- maybe even Labo VR support. In an ideal world, they would also add an option for network play. And boom - surefire sales during the slow months of winter.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the first 6 months all I played on Switch is Smash lol. It really was just a smash machine for all that time

So yeah awful pacing :/

Since mm2 been playing the switch more and more, gonna rent MUA3 soonish, and hopefully pick up FE ( my first fe game ) and astral chain too ( waiting on reviews for this one )

Links Awakening looks good BUT im not a fan of 2d Zelda the only one I liked was ALBW cause of the wall gimmick. So might pick this up later...

Definitely gonna check out Luigi's Mansion 3 ( probably gonna be switch GoTY )

And Pokemon so far...I'm ho-hum about it like...it doesn't ooze quality or feel exciting.( Especially due to how poor the visuals are ).but it's Pokemon I'm sure my brother will want to play it

Anyway all these games I wanna play do that's good but Pokemon IS not hype ( due to the poor ambition of this game ) as smash ultimate was or Mario Odyssey so something does feel off about the end of the year

Will skip
DxM ( the beta was a turnoff it was just boring and the story doesn't feel interesting and characters lack... personality ) dragon quest Builders ( I dislike Minecraft ish games ) dragon quest 11 ( I rented the PS4 version and frankly it was boring? Played 3 hours and Meh Silent Protagonist and how boring the combat is, I'm more of a xenoblade combat fan now )

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon is the single biggest and most important game the Switch will ever be getting and people are saying this year doesn't have a big game. LOL

It's a big deal sure, but not the earth shattering thing that was once expected. It's not measuring as well now that it's competing on a grander stage with 3D Mario and 3D Zelda and other bigger budget first party IP titles. And even in its area of strength, it's ranked 2-3 every generation in world wide sales since the NDS/3DS. I'm not sure it's going to change that trend with this installment.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that 10 of those titles are pretty much the second half of the year and only 2 were first half. Overall though, it's a really solid lineup and way better than last year.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty damn great.

Astral Chain looks better than most games coming out this year and any year we get a new Luigi's Mansion is a good year indeed.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
First half had fuck all and second half has almost everything in a 2 month window. Pace your shit better nintendo.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess an early 2020 title, I would say Super Mario 3D World Deluxe. Add some extra characters like NSMBU Deluxe did, and/or new courses like we saw in the Switch version of Captain Toad. Add HD Rumble and amiibo functionality -- maybe even Labo VR support. In an ideal world, they would also add an option for network play. And boom - surefire sales during the slow months of winter.

I'd play it!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's a big deal sure, but not the earth shattering thing that was once expected. It's not measuring as well now that it's competing on a grander stage with 3D Mario and 3D Zelda and other bigger budget first party IP titles. And even in its area of strength, it's ranked 2-3 every generation in world wide sales since the NDS/3DS. I'm not sure it's going to change that trend with this installment.
It's gonna sell more than 3D Mario and Zelda and the only other thing that can outsell a single entry is stuff like Mario Kart that doesn't get newer entries cutting its legs.
People on this forum are letting their own personal opinions cloud their judgement when it comes to Pokémon and I just think this bubble is a funny phenomenon. I mean when you read "Pokémon is not a hype game" you can't help but laugh

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Now that's a Wii U port I'd buy in a heartbeat.

In fact, I'd love to buy it even without any Deluxe stuff.