• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you begun to consider starting a physical media collection (Blu-Rays, 4K UHD Blu-Rays etc)?

• I already (and still plan to) collect physical media

Votes: 334 42.9%
  • Yes, I have begun to consider starting a physical media collection

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • No, I don't have any plans to start a physical media collection any time soon

Votes: 429 55.1%

• Total voters

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Bought a NAS a few weeks ago but haven't set it up yet, and I'm definitely considering picking up media again for Plex usage.

Bummed that a complete series set of Adventure Time isn't available on Blu-Ray in the states.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
8k isn't going to be a thing. Movies shot in 35mm will see literally no gain being scanned in at 8k or upscaled. And movie companies aren't master special effects at 4k, they sure as shit aren't going to do it for 8k.

There will be 8k TVs but there will be next to no native 8k content
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I am glad att sold crunchyroll to sony, if they hadn't they would be cought up in this mess. thats kiunda been my only real take away is wb is a mismanaged company.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Physical media has always delivered the superior picture and sound quality, and it also isnt dependent on internet service being working nor services losing rights to things. I can just watch it whenever I want as long as there is electricity. I also dont have to worry about a digital sales service suddenly removing my "ownership" of something because they shut down or lost rights.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
No. We only use HBO Max to watch original HBO programs that are all available on HBO, which is what we have. Max just came with our regular sub.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I've already got my own personal Netflix. I've ripped all of my DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K Blu-rays and I'm at like 40TBs. Shame what's going on.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've started earlier this year, only with ripping to Plex. The Godfather 1 and 2 remasters just impressed the shit out of me enough to fall in love with the quality of physical media. Only my Roku Ultra kept buffering. I solved that with an Nvidia Shield. I upgrade my NAS from 4 10 TB drives to 4 18 TB drives that I shucked from WD Elements. But, I haven't canceled streaming just yet. Netflix and a few others are just too convenient.

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
Wait, they are pulling the plug on Max? Oof madone.

Edit: oh, about your question: I already collect a lot of stuff, but mostly classic stuff and the occasional UHD BR. These news make me think about buying The Sopranos on BR so I can watch it once a year.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We don't even get "actual" HBO Max here, just a weird updated version of HBO Go with the Max content.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more upset about my $150 yearly renewal that was last charged on July 11th. I'll be plenty pissed of they offer the next 11 months in Discovery + (which I already have for free)…

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm already collecting but down to a couple of purchases a year almost entirely 4K discs, physical just doesn't hold me anymore like it did in the DVD days. Rewatching media is down for me quite a bit as well. Don't really have the time with so much new stuff coming out I'm interested in. It would take all the streaming services to stop producing content or pair it down drastically for me to change this habit now. If the whole subscription bubble imploded tomorrow I'd probably look at buying some more stuff digitally or start using my nas a bit more.

Also HBO Max dying hurts dammit

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I already have like 371 DVDs and blu rays, but D+ stuff doesn't get released on physical media so not much legally I can do about that.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Discovery+ absorbing HBO Max rather than the other way around is some real galaxy brain shit. Max has like 3x the subscribers. Discovery+'s launch was met with a near-universal refrain of "Really? Why?"

Nothing's worse than some fuckhead boss who just won't let their pet project go, and will go so far as to kneecap other peoples' projects in some vain attempt to salvage their own, rather than just admit they had a bad idea.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me nostalgic of my dvd collector days.
Good 4k UHD player 300-400 euros.
Movies 30-45 euros.

Ok, now I feel miserable but the industry can miss me with these prices.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt there a chance that all the content already in existence would just move over to Discovery plus?

Anyway I already collect physical but I dont think this will change anything for the digital only folks.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, it just means I probably won't renew my (recently lapsed) HBO Max subscription in the foreseeable future. This new direction sounds like an upper-management shitshow.

Putting the preservation issue aside, why are all these services still limited to streaming quality? I'd happily download a high quality digital copy, and there are good solutions to the security concerns.

Is it just about bandwidth? Most people would probably still stream for the convenience.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nope, rather just buy the same content from some digital store than get it as physical media. Not going back on having thousands of disc just taking up space and making our home feel cluttered and life a bit unhappier.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
I've been steadily building a healthy physical collection for years, I was in a studio apartment until recently and I still managed to neatly present them no problem despite the limited space. Some very dramatic responses to the suggestion in this thread, there is such a thing as a shelf! Plus, if you get the right shelf it's a decoration as much as a collection. I've had people question how I have the space when they have large glass cabinets housing tiny anime figures. It's all down to personal preference, like I would never buy a huge-ass special edition of a game, for instance. I would, however, get that lovely Godzilla set from Criterion eventually!

Now, admittedly, it can get expensive. But to know I own something forever and can access it at anytime, with bonus content and in the best possible quality, has always made me prefer physical media over streaming or digital storefronts. There's just no telling what will happen to large swaths of content if Netflix goes up in flames eventually, which is a slim possibility when considering their recent issues. Plus, let's face it; the collection of old movies on most of these streaming services, especially Netflix, is fucking dire. As someone who watches movies every day, more or less, the HBO Max situation has just further validated my feelings on physical media vs. streaming. Completely aware that it's a privilege I have that not everyone can afford, though.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
- OT -
How is Apple VOD quality vs physical ? I suppose it's far better than other streaming services but don't hold a candle vs the real thing ?

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
*Start* a physical collection? Seems more likely most people have long had physical collections and maybe slowly have gotten rid of stuff.

At least for me, until/unless there's big changes in broadband and service provided by streaming, physical media is still superior in quality (and consistency), so I never stopped buying physical stuff.

If anything, I'm really annoyed that some things I love (looking at you, Wheel of Time) will probably never be available to own in 4K and I'll forever be stuck with it on Prime.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I very much doubt they're going to throw everything away (internationally at least). It would be beyond stupid and a quagmire of litigation.
If they stop making new shows for the HBO Max I subscribe to, or price hike stupendously, I will unsubscribe when I'm done with my backlog.

I once built up a physical collection of DVDs, that's been gathering dust ever since and I'm probably going to throw in the trash very soon. There's too much new content for multiple lifetimes to rewatch older stuff, and the older stuff invariably is in worse technical condition.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Feel like we could have waited those 24 hours to see what happens, before having these discussions.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
People here have cancelled their subs already.

Seems extremely silly to do something like that before even knowing the details behind something that may or may not even happen. Not like they can't easily get it back with a few keystrokes or anything, but it still seems like a hell of an overreaction to what is right now pure rumor.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
When FilmStruck was killed I did actually go out and buy a bunch of Criterion movies to ensure I had them forever. I still grab a couple a year. That being said, I already own all of Batman TAS, Venture Brothers, Justice League/Unlimited, Batman Beyond, and Samurai Jack so the stuff I'd most miss from no longer subscribing to MAX I have anyways. Just in less convenient packaging.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
I think it's safe to say something will happen to HBO Max, but it won't happen overnight. As such, I would not yet turn the doomsday clock on.
My personnal bet is that Max content is being cancelled or removed due to royalties payment, which surely is on the high side. Maybe HBO Max was just the way AT&T / WB execs found to increase their payments during the merger and now the people who took over need to cut it down.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Wild to think between Discovery and HBO Max as a name brand that it's Discovery that would win out. I'm sure someone will come along and explain to me how Discovery has the bigger name, but like...bro. It's HBO.
The rumour is that the service won't be named after Discovery as well. But I think it's something that happens quite often in mergers /acquisitions - the side that takes over usually prefer to use their name, logo, structure and personnel.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm begging the powers that be to let me buy the incomplete series of Raised by Wolves on UHD Blu-ray. Devastated that it was cancelled on HBO Max shortly before this current implosion of the platform and its Originals.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I have a large dvd/blu-ray collection, sort of slacked off on it when streaming got big but nowadays I'm back to picking them up.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017

Sometimes I think about how this will happen in the video game space, and it's super depressing. The amount of releases on phones and digital platforms in the past decade whose marketplaces will fall by the wayside, the amount of license holders that will probably not exist in a few years' time to continue listing the games or hosting servers for online functionality that many of them rely on, and the small amount of people that will mourn (or even notice) the loss of a lot of those low-visibility releases; It's going to be a real perfect storm for literally thousands of games to be effectively lost to the sands of time.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on watching Universal Soldier on 4K UHD late tonight so yeah I'm definitely in deep on physical media.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Nope, rather just buy the same content from some digital store than get it as physical media. Not going back on having thousands of disc just taking up space and making our home feel cluttered and life a bit unhappier.
Why, so they can retroactively remove titles from your library once they lose the right to sell it?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't quite understand the difference between HBO and HBO max. I thought they were the same.