• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Oscars are garbage.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
And the single nominated performance by a black actress was a totally forgettable one in one of the most mediocre Oscar-baiting movies of the year (Cynthia Erivo in Harriet). Frustrating.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yea she should have won for The Color Purple. But you know.
The Color Purple was a little too black women empowering for the oscars

Oprah should have gotten one for The Color Purple and The Women of Brewster place. I know it was a tv miniseries but Women of Brewster place was that good

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Awkwafina joins the sad but storied list of Asian women who got so close to a nomination but ignored at the last second.

I am still so bitter over both of Ziyi Zhang's snubs in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry too much OP, the fail to adapt is killing the Oscars, see the video game awards is already bigger than the Oscars.
Unless they change, they will go down even further.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I get it, but with all the other snubs and movies from 2019, did you really expect Dolemite to get noms? Especially with the Academy's stupid Netflix bias?

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
This is a pretty wildly inaccurate (and edgy) statement. It's the biggest and most important industry event of the year.

*I don't care about thing* is how that should read.

But seriously - this year's Oscar nominees show a terrible, terrible disparity between the films that are released and the people voting for them. No nominations for The Farewell or a directing nod for Greta is egregious, but you can't watch Sandler in Uncut Gems and decide he doesn't deserve a nomination. Either expand the fields for nominees or watch more movies.

Every year it's just annoying. Just Mercy, Us, Knives Out, Dolemite, The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, Peanut Butter Falcon, Honey Boy, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Wild Rose, Atlantics, & The Nightingale all are films that deserve consideration. I'm not arguing for replacing what's there since that's subjective as a starting point, but c'mon - each of those movies showed as much artistic excellence and social commentary than the nominees we got.

Also, Todd Phillips for Joker is terrible.

*check's director's notes*

"act crazy and manic but slowly, Joaquin!"

"Okay, Todd!"

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that Two Popes get 2 actor nominations but no director nomination. Fernando Meirelles being indicated would be great

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The Farewell being completely snubbed is really disappointing. At a minimum, I would have expected a screenplay nomination. Thought Shuzhen Zhao had a pretty good chance to get in supporting as well and Awkwafina was genuinely robbed.

With that being said, it's tough. 5 spots is a tough nut to crack. I'm surprised with the expansion of Best Picture that they haven't added another slot or two to Best Director as well.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna get off my ass and see Little Women before it leaves our local theater this week.

Cannot believe The Farewell got nothing.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
KG got snubbed! KG for best supporting actor!!!

Seriously, I love KG lol

Id assume farewell got snubbed because you cant have 2 asian films in these categories at the same time!
White folks aint having that

Oct 25, 2017
I used to get worked up about this shit but then realized that I can't remember the last time I watched the Oscars or went to movies because of an oscar

Oct 26, 2017
Farewell got snubbed.
Last Black Man in San Francisco was snubbbed.
Parasite cast was snubbed.
Dolomite was snubbed.
The Harriet nom in place of other possible diverse norms is insulting.