• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. The evolution of Sony first party games has driven me away from buying any of their games. I prefer Nintendo stick to what it does best.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Switch 2 on the horizon.

366448.gif

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, Era is obsessed with the Switch successor and it's only been out for two years. You guys need to chill and enjoy what you have instead of looking to the next thing all the time!

Also, no. Mario is like Star Wars - despite the fact that fans of the franchise grow and get mad when the series is no longer for them, it'll always be primarily for kids, and as long as they're putting out stellar Mario games - there'll be no need to change it (I guess that's where the Star Wars comparison ends though).

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just had some profound, juddering deja vu.

I remember this thread the first time around!

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
No, I don't think every game has to be this complex narrative. I like the fact that Nintendo focuses more on just making really fun games. Also, I think its disingenuos to say Nintendo's games havent evolved at all. If that was the case they would consistantly be dropping AAA-AA titles.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The images in the OP are disgustingly bad and if you like them I get it, personal tastes and all.

But your taste is shit.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Reading the Op, I was hoping it would be tongue in cheek, but apparently not.

The exemples you posted are the worst possible path nintendo could take to evolve their franchises. It's like a horrible future where Nintendo was bought by microsoft and Mario was developed by Epic and smash bros by netherrealm studios.

Bomberman act zero on 360 was enough, thank you.

Deleted member 59803

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 6, 2019
OP just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Era culture (I'm an expert), but OP can kiss their thread creation privileges goodbye.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the Op, I was hoping it would be tongue in cheek, but apparently not.

The exemples you posted are the worst possible path nintendo could take to evolve their franchises. It's like a horrible future where Nintendo was bought by microsoft and Mario was developed by Epic and smash bros by netherrealm studios.

Bomberman act zero on 360 was enough, thank you.
Whoaaa I completely forgot about that game!

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Why would they have Switch 2 on the horizon while og Switch is killing it and just got a lite version? I'd imagine when Switch 2 does arrive it will have ps 4 era capabilities with some improvements, so the graphics will evolve but not a night and day evolution.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
This is a trolling thread.....don't feed the troll...if games have to look a certain way or capture specific themes to qualify as entertainment for you then Yoshi bless you and all power to you...Enjoy your video game life!

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
How are you 2x years old and started with NES? Did you cryo yourself a few years?

To be fair, that may have been the only console their family had.

I'm 21 and the first game I ever played was Mario World on my friend's brother's Super Nintendo. Then I got my own GBA, but the first console I owned was a GameCube.

All that said, I don't want Mario to "grow up". Part of the magic of these games is that no matter what is happening in your life, they're always happy, bright, vibrant, and fun. I would never want that to change.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, does anyone know why Capcom only made 7 copies of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, a Switch 2 should ONLY come out when there is a noticeable leap in technology. "On the horizon" is obviously relative, but I really don't want to see a new one until 2023 / 2024. With that said, when they do release a new one, I REALLY hope they don't touch their "artstyle" for games like Mario, Zelda, etc. Nuances are great, but putting realistic machine guns on characters' faces ain't it

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The argument that Nintendo games are too cartoony, childish (insert other child targetted phrase here) is as old as Nintendo itself.

The thing is that I play games generally for the gameplay because overall stories in games throughout their history have been generally not very good compared to their counterparts in film and written literature. Few games execute their narrative even close to as good as a good film.

In the area of gameplay and mechanics, the actual interaction with the game and the feel of interacting with a game world, no other developer has as consistently hit the mark as much as Nintendo has for as long as Nintendo has, in my opinion.

Not to say that the OPs assertion around the importance of narrative is wrong, it is in fact a completely valid way to look at games and in that sense it makes total sense to choose Sony IPs as being the hallmark of quality here, because Sony excel above others in providing narrative film like experiences.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
My guy, the Switch successor is a good few years away.

Also no, Mario doesn't need a big reboot.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 9, 2018
"With Switch 2 on the horizon..."

No you crazy western consumerist... It came out two and a half years ago. There is no switch 2 on the horizon just you crazy inconscient reflexes that stimulates you to pay, to buy, to spend...

For Christ Sake, can't we enjoy this product instead of stressing ourselves out for the next consumerist checkpoint??

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Why do games have to be narrative? I'd quit playing Mario games if they become cinematic cringefests.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see "With Switch 2 on the horizon" being lambasted.

Nintendo thinks of themselves as a toy company. If you've outgrown their games, that's fine, but they want to keep kids and adults smiling with their games while also offering games like Bayonetta and Xenoblade Chronicles.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Imagine Nintendo moving all its characters to the same boring, realistic, cinematic artistic direction like Sony :'(
Edit: Switch 2 not before 2022.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
No, absolutely not. There are so many "mature" narrative games out there that Nintendo does not need to move into that space at all. I enjoy their core experiences, I like the iterative nature of their franchises. If they want to introduce some new IP that is more along the lines of a narrative driven single player experience, I'm fine with that. But the idea of making some sort of dark version of Mario is absurd, that's just not what that franchise is about. I don't want to play TLoU, except with Mario characters. I want my Nintendo games to be fun experiences in vibrant words with new ideas peppered in to build on what they're already done.

It's fine that your tastes changed, but there are so many other games out there to fill that gap that Nintendo has no reason to change to attempt to fill it.

Also, cool it with the Switch 2 talk. That isn't on the horizon nor has it even been announced. And when they do announce their next console, I hope they announce more Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, etc for it so that I do have interest in it.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Either you are 14 OP, or I'm back in the 2000's with my middle school buddies.

Edit: Now I see this is just a lame copypasta of a gaf thread. Carry on then.

Toaster05

Nov 20, 2017
Given that the OP is clearly on another planet it's not at all surprising that his horizon is significantly different to everyone else.

I should really just give up with these pointless threads.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Hello,

I am from the future. You may call me Captain N. I do not expect you to believe me but my space uncle who works at Nintendo informed me that what you call a "Switch 2" is actually the Super Switch U. It releases December 31, 2019.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Yes, let's take a universally beloved franchise popular across multiple demographics and laser-target it towards teenage boys (surely the most under-targeted of all demos!).

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people are just playing along because otherwise I feel so weird being the only person that knows this is a parody of an old Gaf thread, they even used the same images.