• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would You Like A Virtual "E3"

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Depends on the content.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
There was another thread but it was mostly about the following video

Which if you have not watched, I recommend watching before commenting.

With xCloud being right around the corner and Sony seemingly also going to be using the same tech (and hopefully Nintendo following) I really think something like E3 in VR Chat could be massive for the following reasons

1. No need to physically be there
2. Could still charge for entrance fee
3. Streaming demos would be a very cool way of advertising future products for people who can't make it to the actual show and still have them only be up for the event period
4. More interactive stage shows are possible (thinking like actual stuff happening to the stage/audience, full 360 trailers, etc)
5. Not Limited by VR (VR chat can be used without VR)
6. Devs could allow users to pre-order their games from within the experience, again good marketing strategy imo

I don't think something like this would be possible this year, but next year I fully believe something like this /could/ happen if planning happens soon enough. And again VR is not required so the potential market reach is pretty massive imo.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OnLive did the streaming demos thing years ago, had quite a few yet to be released titles demod for a special event, including FTL.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
OnLive did the streaming demos thing years ago, had quite a few yet to be released titles demod for a special event, including FTL.
OnLive was just too soon imo, I think we are entering a time where this is more feasible.

*Personally kinda sad OnLive died, I actually thought it was pretty alright.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
For me it already was a virtual E3

so I'm good

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Most definitely. Almost every platform has the means to pull it off. I would have thought this timeline we are in right here and now would have been the perfect time to attempt it though.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
There was another thread but it was mostly about the following video

Which if you have not watched, I recommend watching before commenting.

With xCloud being right around the corner and Sony seemingly also going to be using the same tech (and hopefully Nintendo following) I really think something like E3 in VR Chat could be massive for the following reasons

1. No need to physically be there
2. Could still charge for entrance fee
3. Streaming demos would be a very cool way of advertising future products for people who can't make it to the actual show and still have them only be up for the event period
4. More interactive stage shows are possible (thinking like actual stuff happening to the stage/audience, full 360 trailers, etc)
5. Not Limited by VR (VR chat can be used without VR)
6. Devs could allow users to pre-order their games from within the experience, again good marketing strategy imo

I don't think something like this would be possible this year, but next year I fully believe something like this /could/ happen if planning happens soon enough. And again VR is not required so the potential market reach is pretty massive imo.

I'm pretty sure that at least with Sony they will have a virtual environment similar to PS Home, with several social spaces like Arcades, private and public rooms to play your games and virtual events like E3. We have examples of all of this with games like retro arcade VR, EmuVR, Bigscreen VR, Alt Space and VR Chat. Sony just has to combine elements from all of these sources and increase the production quality.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that at least with Sony they will have a virtual environment similar to PS Home, with several social spaces like Arcades, private and public rooms to play your games and virtual events like E3. We have examples of all of this with games like retro arcade VR, EmuVR, Bigscreen VR, Alt Space and VR Chat. Sony just has to combine elements from all of these sources and increase the production quality.
PS Home 2 just seems like a good idea now actually, I think they were too soon