• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do we think more psplus Indies are expected to hit day 1 (ie. Little Devil Inside, Rollerdrome, Seas

• Yes, all will

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • No, stray is the exception

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • On a case by case basis

Votes: 223 87.8%

• Total voters

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Will Playstation marketed Indies like little devil inside, seasons and rollerdrome hit day 1 psplus like stray?

KrisHolt

Jan 29, 2020
They'll absolutely add more on a case-by-case basis. Without day one first-party games, they'll have to.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
too early to tell, I am thinking Stray is PlayStation trying to start their data collection on if it's worth the upfront costs to indie developers to offer the game up on their service.

Going to depend on how many people adopt the new service tiers and then engage with content like Stray. They will try again a few times so it might seem like a trend in the early goings, but it's gonna mostly be Sony just sitting back and evaluating if it's causing enough return on investment -- i.e. is it getting people to sign up for the new service tiers and actually engage with that kind of content and stay subscribed over the long term because they want and expect that kind of content from their sub.

I'm going to guess that the PS audience that does sub to the upper tiers will engage enough to make it common but I don't know that for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope so.

ATM, PS Plus premium doesn't have enough of an incentive to upgrade, where as Game pass constantly has Day 1 games available on the service when they launch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Ugh, why'd you have to remind me of Stray? It's easily my biggest temptation to deviate from my late PS5 purchase idea.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much yeah. I imagine everything got pushed back due to the pandemic, including the launch of the new PS+. If it had launched last year then I'm reasonably confident that games like Kena and SIFU likely would've launched on the service. As it stands now I think we'll be seeing Rollderdrome and Little Devil Inside on the service at launch along with many other games that Shu and his team are working on securing.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously yes, Sony needs day one games from others if they won't put their own stuff. Indies are cheap and guarantee a safe cushion for the developers.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
stray looks interesting, but i'll just buy it directly instead of subbing. i realize i'm outing myself as a dinosaur but i'm not really too interested in these game library subscription services and prefer just to buy what i want to play

i had my eyes on stray before it was announced to launch included with higher ps plus subscription tiers, but if this kind of deal brings more attention to deserving games, developers should totally go for it, regardless of what this old dinosaur thinks

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that it is almost certain that we will get more day 1 "Stray" games on the service going forward. I don't think it will be very frequent by any means, especially in the near future, but will probably serve as a good launching pad for some games.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Even Xbox doesn't do all their marketed indies onto GP day one (like Rogue Legacy 2 or Death's Door), so Sony won't do them all. But I think that yes, we can expect that most will, if they are serious about competing with Gamepass.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Bugsnax, Fall Guys and Maquette were day 1 indies on PS+. Shadow Warrior 3 was recently a day 1 game on PS Now as well, so I think we'll get a mixture of indie and AA games. We'll see about AAA.

Thanks. Thought there might have been more but couldn't think of them.

Looks like this is a continuation of an existing strategy, so case by case it is.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Bugsnax free day 1 on ps5? How is this any different
Was about to post the same thing, and this reminds me for some reason its not showing as I already claimed it. Need to see if I have this.

Bugsnax, Fall Guys and Maquette were day 1 indies on PS+. Shadow Warrior 3 was recently a day 1 game on PS Now as well, so I think we'll get a mixture of indie and AA games. We'll see about AAA.

Thanks. Thought there might have been more but couldn't think of them.

Looks like this is a continuation of an existing strategy, so case by case it is.
Agree.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I think so, it would definitely be a good inducement to keep me subbed if there was a new indie game on the service each month day one.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't there a rumor that Rollerdrome might be day one?

Not a rumor AFAIK, but the release date is August 16th which is the third Tuesday of the month. Stray releases next month on the third Tuesday of the month. The speculation is that Sony will have the Extra/Premium game drops on the third Tuesday of each month while the Essential drops remain on the 1st Tuesday of the month. So every 2 weeks we'd get something.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm selfishly hoping for Tchia and Little Devil Inside. They both look like super charming games I'd like to try out, but as relatively ambitious games by small studios I also feel like they could easily underwhelm me, so I doubt I'd be picking them up day 1 otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the big ones like Kena and Sifu will continue as normal. Something like Seasons (which looks cool) but isn't going to sell nearly as well as the former two games, I could see take a deal to be on PS+

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Seeing as Gamepass has jumped on the indy train yes. It's a great way for PS Plus to compete with Gamepass. On a case by case basis tho

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Probably, wouldn't be surprised because old Plus also had tons of Day 1 indies on PS5

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting it for a month just to play Stray, so I hope it leads to more. I'll play other stuff, obviously, but I'm waiting a few more days before I sub so I can maximize my Stray time.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I honestly hope so, since there's no first party day one.
I hope little Devil inside be there day one.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Yeah, I assume most indie games that Sony markets will come to Plus. Its a huge feature of gamepass and it is an easy way to compete. Many indies have spoken about how much they love gamepass, so really it is good optics and good business sense for Sony to follow suit.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
This is the wrong question the real question that needs to be asked is that with the launch of premium and extra will PS plus essential receive anymore day 1 launches? Stray normally would of been launch into essential before the added tiers

Also what would be the quality of the monthly essential titles we saw what happened with games with gold after MS went all in with gamepass will Sony follow suit?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah, I assume most indie games that Sony markets will come to Plus. Its a huge feature of gamepass and it is an easy way to compete. Many indies have spoken about how much they love gamepass, so really it is good optics and good business sense for Sony to follow suit.
Was kind of shocked Sifu or even Kena weren't part of PS+ Extra. Hopefully they hit it soon.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Iono.. it kinda changes the way that PS marketed indies get their bread buttered. The real question is how well PS pays compared to Game Pass, and how well the games do coming out of it. It makes TOTAL sense that Stray is the first game here. Annapurna has been supporting Game Pass pretty well for years now, without signing one of those publisher deals that Humble, Paradox, and of course EA have. They have also collected a great deal of data on how their games perform on and off the program, and they've probably seen a range of contract models.

Not that I expect to share any of their data, but it'll be interesting to watch what Annapurna do moving forward. I'm not sure how much money PS wants to spend to subsidize games all across the board like Xbox does. I'm not yet convinced that we should see all or even most PS marketed mid-tier games (and yes, I do think it's silly to call games like Sifu and Stray indie. Kena really too, to a lesser degree), but those are the types of games I expect to maybe see included most. Easily marketable, easily construed as a win, but limited in number and "special".

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
wonder how they will decide, and if its done before development starts. I wasn't super interested in stray but like gamepass games, if I get it "for free" (not really) i'll check it out and not feel bad if i don't like it

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
wonder how they will decide, and if its done before development starts. I wasn't super interested in stray but like gamepass games, if I get it "for free" (not really) i'll check it out and not feel bad if i don't like it

According to Grubb, a lot of gamepass deals are done pretty late. He may have been referring mostly to the bigger games and not indies, I am not sure. But all publishers will have estimates on how well something will sell based on market research, and they would put up that up against a gamepass or plus offer. I doubt it is something that is decided that far back to before development.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to Grubb, a lot of gamepass deals are done pretty late. He may have been referring mostly to the bigger games and not indies, I am not sure. But all publishers will have estimates on how well something will sell based on market research, and they would put up that up against a gamepass or plus offer. I doubt it is something that is decided that far back to before development.

I think it is late with indies often too. Just look at how Tunic was handled.

OP
OP
JadedGhost

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
To all the people saying they did this for rocket league and bugsnax, that was on their lowest tier equivalent service. I would imagine any game unless it's live service centric will now be tied to the higher tiers of psplus and the lowest tier will not get games like bugsnax etc. I do wonder.if the lowest tier will become like games with gold offerings (ie. No great)

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
To all the people saying they did this for rocket league and bugsnax, that was on their lowest tier equivalent service. I would imagine any game unless it's live service centric will now be tied to the higher tiers of psplus and the lowest tier will not get games like bugsnax etc. I do wonder.if the lowest tier will become like games with gold offerings (ie. No great)

I fully expect that to happen. The lowest tier hasn't been all that great for a while except for a few gems here and there. I think you are right and moving forward, I fully expect that games like bugsnax will be on the higher tiers.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I saw a Polygon article the other day listing 'the 17 best games on the new PS+' and immediately noticed that me or my wife had already played 16 of them.

So yeah, please give us new indies, Sony.