• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
Who doesn't like hidden gems? Needles in a haystack, diamonds in the rough.

Good games that don't get enough attention, and end up falling behind in another games shadow.

Here is a list of games that I've played, that I consider hidden gems and possibly worth your time.

latest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
store.steampowered.com

The Vagrant on Steam

Guide Vivian the Vagrant, through vibrant and dynamic landscapes while hacking and slashing a path from a quiet coastal village through mysterious forests, haunted castles, and wrecked battlegrounds. When the endless barrage of enemies have been vanquished, what solace will be left for our hero?
There's a reason why The Vagrant shows up in so many hidden gem lists. It usually goes on sale for less than $1.60, and for the amount of content it offers, it's an absolute steal. Not to mention being inspired by Vanillaware games. It may be rough around the edges, but it's still a good deal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

store.steampowered.com

Akane on Steam

2121 A.D, with no escape options, Akane prepares for her final battle in the rain-soaked neon streets of Mega-Tokyo. Akane is an arena arcade slasher. Take out as many yakuza as possible, slashing and shooting in a one-hit-one-kill fight to the death.
Akane is a hard, and challenging game, if you die you have to start again from the beginning. For some, that may be an immediate turn off, but the game plays pretty well and it features a nice soundtrack. There are unlockables to work towards that may make the game easier or more tolerable.

store.steampowered.com

Within the blade on Steam

Bloody stealth platformer, about the ninja in which you cut the enemies into pieces.
Pixel Shinobi: Nine Demons of Mamoru is (or was) an Early Access game, but one of the few that I think deserves a notable mention. It's also a hard and challenging game with tight controls, with a skill tree of varying skills to learn, and crafting to create ninja tools. May also have some english translation issues but for what's available here, I think it's worth it.

store.steampowered.com

Wallachia: Reign of Dracula on Steam

Wallachia Reign of Dracula is a retro-styled action platformer/shooter game.
Developed my Migami games, known for Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles, Wallachia is a retro-style side scrolling shooter with a nice soundtrack. Also has a collaboration costume to unlock from Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. This game doesn't really go on sale, but it's cheap enough to be worth a mention. To avoid confusion, this is not a metroidvania kind of game. There are stages you play through.

store.steampowered.com

Save 67% on Kenshi on Steam

A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a warlord, an adventurer, a farmer, a slave, or just food for the cannibals. Train your men up from puny victims to master warriors.
A beloved game of mine and to me, the holy grail of hidden gems. This is a game you could easily sink hundreds of hours into and has steam workshop support. I wrote a very lengthy write up of my adventures here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...d-kenshi-wanted-to-share-my-adventures.90300/

store.steampowered.com

Jet Lancer on Steam

Jet Lancer is a high-velocity aerial combat shooter where you duel enemy aviators, hunt giant robots, and defy death at supersonic speeds as you evolve from an unknown rookie aviator into a once-in-a-generation ACE pilot.
A recent gem I came across, and possibly 2020's hidden gem for me. It's "Anime Luftrausers", with a colorful artstyle, pixel art characters, fast paced dog fights, unlockable upgrades, plenty of missions, a small open world area to explore, a True Ending, New Game+, and an Arcade Mode. Oh, and a fantastic soundtrack!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dont-sleep-on-jet-lancer.353848/

store.steampowered.com

Sands of Salzaar on Steam

Bringing you to an exotic desert where you’ll recruit, train, and guide your troops into battle against rival cities and factions. Embark on an adventure that’s uniquely yours; Customizable characters, professions, and factions. The land is filled with a variety of hidden secrets.
Another recent gem, this game is in Early Access and recently got an English Update. However, the English Update isn't complete. If you like Mount & Blade, with cool-down based skills, this might be worth your time. This game also supports steam workshop, but most mods may be in chinese.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sands-of-salzaar-bannersaga-meets-mount-blade-meets.351424/

store.steampowered.com

Exanima on Steam

Explore, fight, survive and unravel mysteries in this unique and unforgiving 3D isometric RPG set in an original dark, low fantasy world. Exanima's exceptional attention to detail and realistic simulation of all things aim to provide a deeply immersive and dynamic gameplay experience.
Exanima is an Early Access game that released back in 2015, and is notorious for its slow updates. This is also a hard and challenging top down isometric dungeon crawler with an Arena Mode and a Practice Mode. The whole game revolves around physics, including its combat system. Normally, I'd recommend this game but a recent update made changes to the games save system which makes the game too unbearable to play. So as of right now, I actually don't recommend this game but at the very least keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
i love hidden gems threads

i got this years ago but have been playing it a lot recently. it's a lot like spelunky but more combat focused. has local co-op and online through a mod:

Oct 27, 2017
Who doesn't like hidden gems? Needles in a haystack, diamonds in the rough.

Good games that don't get enough attention, and end up falling behind in another games shadow.

Here is a list of games that I've played, that I consider hidden gems and possibly worth your time.

latest

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
store.steampowered.com

The Vagrant on Steam

Guide Vivian the Vagrant, through vibrant and dynamic landscapes while hacking and slashing a path from a quiet coastal village through mysterious forests, haunted castles, and wrecked battlegrounds. When the endless barrage of enemies have been vanquished, what solace will be left for our hero?
There's a reason why The Vagrant shows up in so many hidden gem lists. It usually goes on sale for less than $1.60, and for the amount of content it offers, it's an absolute steal. Not to mention being inspired by Vanillaware games. It may be rough around the edges, but it's still a good deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
store.steampowered.com

Akane on Steam

2121 A.D, with no escape options, Akane prepares for her final battle in the rain-soaked neon streets of Mega-Tokyo. Akane is an arena arcade slasher. Take out as many yakuza as possible, slashing and shooting in a one-hit-one-kill fight to the death.
Akane is a hard, and challenging game, if you die you have to start again from the beginning. For some, that may be an immediate turn off, but the game plays pretty well and it features a nice soundtrack. There are unlockables to work towards that may make the game easier or more tolerable.

store.steampowered.com

Within the blade on Steam

Bloody stealth platformer, about the ninja in which you cut the enemies into pieces.
Pixel Shinobi: Nine Demons of Mamoru is an Early Access game, but one of the few that I think deserves a notable mention. It's also a hard and challenging game with tight controls, and may have some translation issues but for what's available here, I think it's worth it.

store.steampowered.com

Wallachia: Reign of Dracula on Steam

Wallachia Reign of Dracula is a retro-styled action platformer/shooter game.
Developed my Migami games, known for Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles, Wallachia is a retro-style side scrolling shooter with a nice soundtrack. Also has a collaboration costume to unlock from Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.

store.steampowered.com

Save 67% on Kenshi on Steam

A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a warlord, an adventurer, a farmer, a slave, or just food for the cannibals. Train your men up from puny victims to master warriors.
A beloved game of mine and to me, the holy grail of hidden gems. This is a game you could easily sink hundreds of hours into and has steam workshop support. I wrote a very lengthy write up of my adventures here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...d-kenshi-wanted-to-share-my-adventures.90300/

store.steampowered.com

Jet Lancer on Steam

Jet Lancer is a high-velocity aerial combat shooter where you duel enemy aviators, hunt giant robots, and defy death at supersonic speeds as you evolve from an unknown rookie aviator into a once-in-a-generation ACE pilot.
A recent gem I came across, and possibly 2020's hidden gem for me. It's "Anime Luftrausers", with a colorful artstyle, pixel art characters, fast paced dog fights, unlockable upgrades, plenty of missions, a small open world area to explore, a True Ending, New Game+, and an Arcade Mode. Oh, and a fantastic soundtrack!

store.steampowered.com

Sands of Salzaar on Steam

Bringing you to an exotic desert where you’ll recruit, train, and guide your troops into battle against rival cities and factions. Embark on an adventure that’s uniquely yours; Customizable characters, professions, and factions. The land is filled with a variety of hidden secrets.
Another recent gem, this game is in Early Access and recently got an English Update. However, the English Update isn't complete. If you like Mount & Blade, with cool-down based skills, this might be worth your time. This game also supports steam workshop, but most mods may be in chinese.

store.steampowered.com

Exanima on Steam

Explore, fight, survive and unravel mysteries in this unique and unforgiving 3D isometric RPG set in an original dark, low fantasy world. Exanima's exceptional attention to detail and realistic simulation of all things aim to provide a deeply immersive and dynamic gameplay experience.
Exanima is an Early Access game that released back in 2015, and is notorious for its slow updates. This is also a hard and challenging top down isometric dungeon crawler with an Arena Mode and a Practice Mode. The whole game revolves around physics, including its combat system. Normally, I'd recommend this game but a recent update made changes to the games save system which makes the game too unbearable to play. So as of right now, I actually don't recommend this game but at the very least keep an eye on it.
picked up vagrant. thanks

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't class Kenshi, a title which has sold 1,000,000 copies, as a hidden gem haha.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
https://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/Divinity_II_Developers_Cut/

Not really a hidden gem since the Original Sin games have become pretty popular and big hits, but it is still a cheap and incredibly fun RPG. The combat is jank as all hell and the difficulty spikes quite a bit because of it, but the story, the writing and literally everything else is incredibly top tier, and even the combat was still pretty fun at times. Still, for $2, it's truly an amazing deal

Also the soundtrack is pretty damn great too

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
store.steampowered.com

Exanima on Steam

What changed about the save system? Have my eye on this but want to know what changed?

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's not really a hidden gem either but more people need to experience Noita.
I bought this game during the Summer Sale, I believe. It was an impulse buy. I don't know why I keep buying Roguelikes as I don't even have time for more straightforward games, but something about Noita just looked interesting. The reviews were very good.

What makes it stand out?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
https://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/Divinity_II_Developers_Cut/

Not really a hidden gem since the Original Sin games have become pretty popular and big hits, but it is still a cheap and incredibly fun RPG. The combat is jank as all hell and the difficulty spikes quite a bit because of it, but the story, the writing and literally everything else is incredibly top tier, and even the combat was still pretty fun at times. Still, for $2, it's truly an amazing deal

Also the soundtrack is pretty damn great too
Terrific game, yes. Pouring one out for Kirill Pokrovsky.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
What changed about the save system? Have my eye on this but want to know what changed?

The game used to save at the beginning of each stage. So let's say you died on stage 5, you would spawn at the beginning of stage 5.

Now with the recent update, let's say you died on stage 5 again...well, the game is gonna put you back to stage 2 where the Portal gate is.

I've no idea why they made that change, it makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
The game used to save at the beginning of each stage. So let's say you died on stage 5, you would spawn at the beginning of stage 5.

Now with the recent update, let's say you died on stage 5 again...well, the game is gonna put you back to stage 2 where the Portal gate is.

I've no idea why they made that change, it makes no sense.

Oof, I still have that listed on my wishlist. I might remove it if they didn't reverse it back.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

I've been playing this lately. It's really good. Imagine something similar to classic Contra gameplay (though you do have a bit of HP instead of dying in 1 hit), with incredible pixel art, solid level design and enemy variety, cool bosses and guns, and a ripping metal soundtrack. I know Slain didn't have many fans, but this is improved upon it in every way. And it's really cheap right now!

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i'm not sure if there are hidden gems but since they aren't usually talked about my vote goes for:

basically a tycoon game that has trains (main focus), bus, trams, airplanes and boats. It does what most other tycoon games do. Where it shines however is in 2 points. 1) the models are gorgeous 2) the stations are very modular but simple to set up
The only con is that it doens't have rival companies so the sandbox game is all about you optimizing routes and adapting to the ages. It has a relatively lenghty campaign that is full of missions with challenges

BFGA2 brings the 40k warships to live. using unreal engine this RTS has some shiny graphics and sound effects. THe cool part? 3 campaigns - imperials forces (astartes, mechanicus and the imperal fleet), necrons and tyranids. Chaos is a DLC campaign. The rest of the factions like Tau, eldar and greenskins are still available in skirmish to master.
The game shines with the range of weapons and variety between factions. The voice action is very good. The enthusiams of the VA is amazing.
The game lacks moderation. Each campaign lasts for 100 turns with 2-5 battles/turn. So chances are that you will get tired of the game before finish the campaigns.

CSD3 is all about making food and hating yourself because of how stressful it is. It is a very hard game to describe. It is PERFECT for CO-OP. There is something special about a friendship that can survive the harsh realities of the cooking in this game.
From the way the game incentivizes to use harder plates to the game forcing you to choose those plates. To upgrades for your progresions, etc. This game is really good.
If I had to put a con in i'd say that the lack of francesinha on the menu is hard to forgive.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

A laidback "photography sim" with a cool cyberpunk anime Dreamcast aesthetic and a fantastic soundtrack by Thor High Heels, and also a devastatingly-relevant, politically-charged game about civil unrest, environmental collapse, and police brutality at the end of the world.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

I've been playing this lately. It's really good. Imagine something similar to classic Contra gameplay (though you do have a bit of HP instead of dying in 1 hit), with incredible pixel art, solid level design and enemy variety, cool bosses and guns, and a ripping metal soundtrack. I know Slain didn't have many fans, but this is improved upon it in every way. And it's really cheap right now!

I didn't quite finish slain but this is much better.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

wtf is with all these cool looking indie games I've never heard of.

nded

Nov 14, 2017

BallisticNG is in my opinion the best antigrav racer on Steam right now. There are a lot of stellar user created tracks in the Workshop and you can even download Wipeout ships. Pick up the official expansions while you're at it; one's free and the other is super cheap.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Not exactly a hidden gem but I bought and played sayonara wild hearts last night and it's fantastic. It's like half off right now

wtf is with all these cool looking indie games I've never heard of.

Valfaris is a lot of fun If you like side scrolling action games

Blazing Chrome is great too

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Grim Dawn on Steam

Enter an apocalyptic fantasy world where humanity is on the brink of extinction, iron is valued above gold and trust is hard earned. This ARPG features complex character development, hundreds of unique items, crafting and quests with choice & consequence.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018

Gujian 3, a popular RPG series in China, you could almost call it their "final fantasy".

It has a huge focus on story though so expect a lot of cutscenes, the game got an english translation at the end of 2019, but sadly it's far from perfect, it's understandable enough though, but it just doesn't feel "natural".

The game is great however, it has an amazing art direction, great music, a fun and fast paced combat system, and a good story. It's currently sitting at 18.74€ on steam and for the amount of content the game has to offer, it's a steal.

It took me 70 hours to finish the game and I didn't do everything, it's a huge RPG with lots of different mechanics. There's fishing, a complete card game minigame, base building, and even a whole Captain Toad like minigame.

Couple screenshots I took:

AP6AItE.png

GFW95uQ.jpg

TRZMnLe.jpg

DL1QtKt.jpg

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

A laidback "photography sim" with a cool cyberpunk anime Dreamcast aesthetic and a fantastic soundtrack by Thor High Heels, and also a devastatingly-relevant, politically-charged game about civil unrest, environmental collapse, and police brutality at the end of the world.

I'm super interested in this based on what I've previously heard. How long is it w/ DLC?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super interested in this based on what I've previously heard. How long is it w/ DLC?

Steam says I've put in 8 hours after hitting the end of the DLC, but that's counting me going back through all the maingame levels to do the optional objectives and without doing the same for Macro. With the DLC I think it's a good length for this style of gameplay. You can spend a lot of time just playing around to get cool shots with different camera settings and filters too.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Just bought this out of interest, I'm like 30 minutes in and this is way more fun single player than I thought it'd be. Plus, it's super cheap and includes multiple DLCs for free (5)

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Huh, that looks pretty fun. o.o
Apparently it's super fun for co-op but just as fun for Multiplayer. It also has a really good looking art style in my opinion:
ezgif-4-32d09c36f24d.gif

FtK_-_Polar_Bear_-_Copy.jpg

It's roguelite with JRPG Combat and it's a tabletop game (as it says in the image) but it's been way more fun than I expected and for 7.49 or 7.99 (whatever the hell this cheap price was), it's been already worth it so far

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
I'll vouch for Jetlancer as the best thing I didn't know came out last year so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

A Hand With Many Fingers on Steam

Unravel a real conspiracy from deep within the CIA’s archives. Search classified documents and follow new leads in this non-linear investigative thriller.

A Hand With Many Fingers is basically a game where you piece together a real life scandal involving finance and the CIA by going into an archive room and getting archives and pinning them to a board and working out how everything fits.

If you are tired of all spy games being more James Bond and less George Smiley then this is for you.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
store.steampowered.com

A Hand With Many Fingers on Steam

Unravel a real conspiracy from deep within the CIA’s archives. Search classified documents and follow new leads in this non-linear investigative thriller.

A Hand With Many Fingers is basically a game where you piece together a real life scandal involving finance and the CIA by going into an archive room and getting archives and pinning them to a board and working out how everything fits.

If you are tired of all spy games being more James Bond and less George Smiley then this is for you.
weird game. added to wishlsit for next sale

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
I somehow managed to fuck up replying to this thread to the point that Quote no longer works, but these are games already mentioned that I second.

A PS1 / VHS aesthetic style Japanese horror game. It has a slow pace and a relies on building a sense of dread rather than all out jump scares, much like the difference between Japanese horror movies and Western ones. It's a walking simulator at its core with a run time of about your average movie, but I enjoyed this to the point that on finishing I went and bought the complete Chilla's Art catalogue on Steam. (Originally recommended by Rosebud)

BallisticNG is a super fast anti-grav racer. I also really like Redout but BallisticNG is probably the closer love letter to original Wipeout. Given that Sony killed Wipeout because they are evil and insane, this is one of the best (and crazy cheap) ways to get that feeling back. (Originally recommended by nded)

(Recommended by Dlanor A. Knox) Guijan 3 is a huge action RPG that offers tens of hours of gameplay and is a ridiculous value for money proposition in terms of the cost. It's a Wuxia game that has a bunch of different gamplay elements, (from memory, it was offering entirely new mechanics at the 40 hour mark), that you could easily sink 80-100 hours into. It looks pretty amazing too.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

Want some winter-y vibes? A good short game about being stranded at an antarctic research base. No horror or monster or anything, just trying to escape and stay warm. Really nice and short experience.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I bought this game during the Summer Sale, I believe. It was an impulse buy. I don't know why I keep buying Roguelikes as I don't even have time for more straightforward games, but something about Noita just looked interesting. The reviews were very good.

What makes it stand out?

The spell system. I'm no expert on roguelikes but it seems quite unique in that regard.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all got any VN recommendations before this sale is over? I want to read something great!