• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's here to stay, just because they're making a lot of money off of it, and they probably can't get a switch successor at a price they'd want it at, so they'll continue to sell the switch at the same price for another year or two if they could get away with it.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
A refresh ("Switch Pro") could happen next year sometime but I have severe doubts we'll see the next "New" Nintendo console before 2024 at the earliest. The Switch isn't even slowing down sales-wise it makes absolutely zero sense to disrupt their ecosystem by launching something else that could split their user base.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thing doesn't even have an original Mario Kart on it yet.

I can't see them releasing a 'Switch 2' in the sense that games that come out for it don't work on Switch 1 kind of thing, so yes.

The Pro model will extend the platform lifecycle beyond the 5 year cycle that is typical of a Nintendo home console.

They seem to have found a niche in terms of 3rd party support now that doesn't rely on whatever MS and Sony are doing and the big AAA games that will come out for those systems (think RDR2). I'm completely out of the loop but judging on that recent Direct Nintendo doesn't need to fill the release schedule with 'a major Nintendo game per month' thing as in the past, so we get nothing but it seems to work for them.

Basically this means they don't have to worry about synchronizing power-wise with MS and Sony anymore, such that the generations overlap to make Nintendo more port-friendly in order to increase the likelihood of getting 3rd party support. Without the power difference as an issue there is less of a reason to release a successor...

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
If people truly believe that the Switch 2 is not coming till 2025, I think Furukawa has done an amazing job convincing people that.

I honestly think that the Switch 2 will launch in 2023. Wouldn't a Gaas game like Splatoon 3 be a perfect game to satiate current Switch owners and also getting them to "continue" playing on the new Switch 2? I'd believe that the Switch 2 is years away when I see Mario Kart 9 being released on the Switch.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
What we're hearing right now is that it'll essentially be XB1S level in terms of GPU grunt before factoring in DLSS but with a far more powerful CPU. That will let it get cross gen games quite easily and make porting XSS games a fair amount easier than porting XB1/PS4 games to the current Switch. Except for games that rely heavily on I/O speed.
Oh wow, that's way better than I was expecting!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Spl3toon is likely to have as much post-launch support as 2platoon, so unless it launches alongisde the SwUtch, we'll be probably won't see a mid-gen ugprade at all, and will see the 2witch in 2024 at the earliest (likely 2025)
nGMrD.gif

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't see why people think BOTW's mention in the direct makes it 2022.

The first game didn't have a big blowout until 9 months before release, and that's with it having to sell the new "open air" style. BOTW2 won't need nearly as extensive demoing and with COVID they've been playing things close to their chest anyways. It could easily be shown off at "E3" this summer and still have a release date this year.

That's not to say it is a 2021 title, just that I don't think the way it was handled this direct has any meaning in regards to release date.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The first game didn't have a big blowout until 9 months before release, and that's with it having to sell the new "open air" style. BOTW2 won't need nearly as extensive demoing and with COVID they've been playing things close to their chest anyways. It could easily be shown off at "E3" this summer and still have a release date this year.

That's not to say it is a 2021 title, just that I don't think the way it was handled this direct has any meaning in regards to release date.

I agree with you, but I believe the main piece of evidence people are using to say it's 2022 is that Skyward Sword HD is launching in July. And people are also expecting WW/TP HD this year, that could be Zelda overload.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

Agreed. I think they'll save it for a big showing when they announce the Switch Pro (or whatever it ends up being) and that's why they showed nothing.

Also agree that may not be 2021, especially if the other Zelda ports are coming this year. Time will tell, but I'm not reading anything into the Direct other than BOTW2 being THE game they'd want to show off when revealing new hardware.

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
So i have a question. As i have kept reading sometime ago that The switch is not 9th Gen cos its not that powerful from Wiiu and still Gen 8.why should one expect any generational leap for the Switch pro? And if so, does that make it 9th Gen finally?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I actually think the Switch family of systems is going to be the model going forward. I don't think we're gonna get a whole new Nintendo console for a long long time.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A Switch Pro coming in 2022 makes a lot of sense to me, they can cater to an audience of the switch that wants something more powerful and can also say something like how Breath of the Wild 2 will run at a steady XXXXp and XX fps in the Pro guaranteed or some crap without even mentioning the sub 30 fps it'll run for the regular swirch

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So i have a question. As i have kept reading sometime ago that The switch is not 9th Gen cos its not that powerful from Wiiu and still Gen 8.why should one expect any generational leap for the Switch pro? And if so, does that make it 9th Gen finally?

The simple answer is this: generations are meaningless. Best to forget about classifying them in terms of generations.

Also generations never had anything to do with power.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I can do without a NSW successor for as long as that can be. A lifespan of 7-8 years is ideal, specially seeing how covid is going to stay with us for a long time still.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah, no way would they release Splatoon next year if they didn't plan for the OG Switch to still be relevant for the 3+ years following that. It definitely feels like the type of series that would come out early into a next generation, so I've certainly taken it as a bold declaration of longevity.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I actually think the Switch family of systems is going to be the model going forward. I don't think we're gonna get a whole new Nintendo console for a long long time.

I think so as well. Marketing will be a challenge when they get to points where the forwards compatibility stops working, but they can figure that out. It won't be an issue with Switch Pro. It will likely just run things at higher resolution and without the frame rate drops seen on current switch in games like Age of Calamity and Bowser's Fury. Further down the road when the next hardware update is out, the base Switch probably won't be able to run many games, but the Switch Pro will probably run them at lower resolutions, with some frame drops etc.

That's a good cycle to keep game attach rates high and people buying new hardware. Just have to nail the marketing and avoid people buying games on hardware that's too old to play them. Probably not that complicated though as mobile gamers are used to it with the app stores being clear that games only run on iPhone ____ version or above and so on.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I feel like I'm living in bizarro land but this week's presentation just felt to me like more evidence that we are getting the Switch 2 in 2022

I don't think it makes any sense to launch Splatoon 3 and BotW 2 at the tail end of Switch's life. That would mean it would take years until Splatoon 4 and BotW 3, which would make the first couple of years of the Switch 2 look very dire. It would essentially mean sending the Switch 2 out to die.

Think about it, if BotW was 2017 and BotW was 2022, that would put the next Zelda at 2027. Do we really think Nintendo would launch a new console in 2024 or 2025 without a new Zelda/Splatoon for 2 or 3 years? It would be Wii U redux

Nintendo have a very consistent, predictable pattern of first-party development. They launch a new console, all their in-house departments (talking about EPD here, not IS, Hal and the like) release their projects in the first 2 years or so, then they move on to planning for the next console bar one or two projects.

If you look at their list of released games, it's always been like this. The last in-house GC game came out in 2004, except for TP but that was cross-gen. 2004-06 was the DS period, releasing SM64, MK, AC, Nintendogs, NSMB, but by 2006 they moved on to the Wii, once again with the exception of the Zelda team releasing PH/ST later. 2006-09 was the Wii blowout with all departments getting releases, but very little after that. There was SMG2 in 2010 and of course SS in 2011 but we all know how that was a catastrophic decision that sent the Wii U to die. 2011-13 they did everything 3DS, 2013-15 was everything they released on Wii U, and 2017-19 they had a big Switch blowout.

The fact is every single Nintendo console dries up towards the end of its life, and Nintendo start playing for time, usually using the prospect of a future Zelda to maintain the illusion that the console is alive, when in reality they've already moved on to the next console cycle. When you look back at the later gen E3s in the past, they've all been about playing for time: Zelda trailer in 2004, revealing the Revolution in 2005, the completely dry Wii lineup in 2010-11, the BotW-only 2016 presentation when they already knew it would come out on the Switch.

They're just need to show something to keep people excited, but I would be surprised if Splatoon 3 wasn't our first look at a Switch 2 game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Even leaving aside that Nintendo would be idiotic not to make the Switch Succ be backwards compatible with the Switch's enormous library, are we really forgetting that BotW was released on both Wii U and Switch? The Switch's release calendar (or, really, any console for that matter) has absolutely no bearing on how close or far away a new console is.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The last generation where "generations" made sense as a market-wide denominator was gen 7, and arguably the beginning of gen 8. Nintendo has been doing its own thing for a while now; it's only Sony and MS that are still in lockstep.

I think of it as comparing phone generations to console generations. Nobody expects iPhone generations to match chronologically and numerically with console generations.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I think so as well. Marketing will be a challenge when they get to points where the forwards compatibility stops working, but they can figure that out. It won't be an issue with Switch Pro. It will likely just run things at higher resolution and without the frame rate drops seen on current switch in games like Age of Calamity and Bowser's Fury. Further down the road when the next hardware update is out, the base Switch probably won't be able to run many games, but the Switch Pro will probably run them at lower resolutions, with some frame drops etc.

That's a good cycle to keep game attach rates high and people buying new hardware. Just have to nail the marketing and avoid people buying games on hardware that's too old to play them. Probably not that complicated though as mobile gamers are used to it with the app stores being clear that games only run on iPhone ____ version or above and so on.
Completely agree. Though I don't think marketing will be that big of an issue as people with a Switch will probably be pretty eager to upgrade if the jump is big enough. The concept already sells. Just give people the best possible version of that concept.

Oct 26, 2017
Pro or Successor, both are going to be 100% backward compatible anyway, so this says nothing about hardware plans other than Switch getting blockbuster installments from Nintendo in 2022 and surely beyond.
Personally I'd love a stronger model sooner rather than later.

Ghgghggh

Banned
May 2, 2018
Switch 2 2022, maybe even March.. all switch 1 games compatible. Switch 2 games will be backwards compatible w switch1 at least in the beginning. Launch games = splatoon 3 and / or breath of the wild. With Mario Kart as the holiday game. All of these will be backwards compatible with Switch 1.

This is in line w what Nintendo has been saying about Switch Family line and following a cell phone like model.

There won't be a Switch Pro. Just a Switch 2.