• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does it worry you that Sony is taking long for the PS5 and it's pricing to be revealed?

• Yes it does worry me

Votes: 71 14.1%
  • No it doesn't worry me

Votes: 428 85.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Or consumers just find all these different SKU's extremely confusing and they just simply choose the PS5 because it's closest to what Series X is.
PlayStation is very powerful brand. So yeah that might happen. I worked at Best Buy for many years and in gaming as well. I always told customers which one is more powerful and asked questions about what they were looking for or their kids.

Xbox Series S will be closer to PS5 - If Series S exists.

Series X is definitely going to be more pricier. Just like Xbox One X is more pricier than PS4 Pro

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That is the trump card that Xbox can play when it comes to price.

Hypothetically speaking...

Xbox announced Xbox Series X price to be $499.99
Sony announces that PS5 is $399.99

Xbox announces then that Xbox Series S is $399.99 as well
Plus you never know, they might have another version Xbox Series C to be $299.99 (Fully Digital/Cloud based system)

Because Xbox have different SKUs from the get go (From what it looks like), they can counter back.

That's not a trump card at all. Lockhart needs to be much more competitively priced if it's going to be around 4 tflops, especially if PS5 ends up being $399 like you suggest. And an extra $100 for a disc drive ain't gonna do them any favors, and if someone wants a cloud console then you can pick up an XB1S for peanuts

PlayStation is very powerful brand. So yeah that might happen. I worked at Best Buy for many years and in gaming as well. I always told customers which one is more powerful and asked questions about what they were looking for or their kids.

Xbox Series S will be closer to PS5 - If Series S exists.

Series X is definitely going to be more pricier. Just like Xbox One X is more pricier than PS4 Pro

What? No, if Xbox Series S exists, it is Lockhart which is rumored around 4 tflops. That wont be anywhere near PS5

ToxicPhantom

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
Sony is always reactionary. Always waiting for MS to do say something first so Sony can react to make it seem "yeah, see, we listen and we're here for the gamers!" Far from it.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was under the impression the majority of this board was 30 plus. The past few weeks though I feel like I've listening to the ramblings of my teenage daughter who can't go more than 5 mins without looking at her phone.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Sony's post didn't say that to me. The way I read it was that because they have competition they can't at the moment say what the price point of the PS5 will be, as their competition could take advantage of that knowledge.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Nope, as I've pre-ordered both next gen consoles and the price and other details will be updated before launch. And I'll have 7 days from launch to actual make purchase decision.

...and where did you pre-order?

Edit: Just saw your above post, sorry! Didn't realize you were in Finland.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I still don't understand the angst.

99% of people who has their hearts set on these consoles are going to buy them regardless of the official info that comes out.

Just have some patience.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
...and where did you pre-order?

See post above :)

edit. Here is one with more details and pictures of PS5: https://www.konsolinet.fi/product/23829/sony-playstation-5--konsoli
PS5-COMP.jpg

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the thing that pisses me off is why the preorder page isn't up? Just let me pay now for fucks sake. Give early adopters limited editions or something.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's post didn't say that to me. The way I read it was that because they have competition they can't at the moment say what the price point of the PS5 will be, as their competition could take advantage of that knowledge.

If their competition takes advantage of that knowledge by offering us the consumers a better price point or better product for the same price I'm all for that advantage.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
That's not a trump card at all. Lockhart needs to be much more competitively priced if it's going to be around 4 tflops, especially if PS5 ends up being $399 like you suggest. And an extra $100 for a disc drive ain't gonna do them any favors, and if someone wants a cloud console then you can pick up an XB1S for peanuts

What? No, if Xbox Series S exists, it is Lockhart which is rumored around 4 tflops. That wont be anywhere near PS5
They can def do what you are saying but because it is a new GEN console and they are already doing this "Series" thing because they have a plan for different SKUS, so they won't want to push an old Xbox One S - Although for the first 2 years they will as 1st party games are upward compatible as well.

EQCnfyUXUAQs-Go

$499.99

EQCnfyVWAAApYH_

$399.99 - Counters PS5

EQCnfyRWAAUIp1U

$299.99 Entry level.

These are mock-ups of course but I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox does something similar.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They want the ok from Microsoft to launch at $500

That's all that is, unless they want to sell at a loss in which case they shouldn't bother being hesitant about that at all.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
When did the thread misunderstanding what sony said about the PS5 pricing become a proven fact? No one at sony ever said anything that implied they were waiting for MS to move before they define their pricing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would I be worried about this? People are seriously worrying about a company releasing their pricing for a console at a different date when the console comes out at what is a pretty fixed date either way?

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
What's with all these worry threads lately? Why is anyone worried about anything these companies are doing. They're not morons, they'll announce what they want when they want and we'll all be stoked to hear about it when they do.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They can def do what you are saying but because it is a new GEN console and they are already doing this "Series" thing because they have a plan for different SKUS, so they won't want to push an old Xbox One S - Although for the first 2 years they will as 1st party games are upward compatible as well.

EQCnfyUXUAQs-Go

$499.99

EQCnfyVWAAApYH_

$399.99 - Counters PS5

EQCnfyRWAAUIp1U

$299.99 Entry level.

These are mock-ups of course but I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox does something similar.

$300 for a streaming only box?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I honest could not care about price as long as the performance is there. I just want to be able to pre order the thing!

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
That is the trump card that Xbox can play when it comes to price.

Hypothetically speaking...

Xbox announced Xbox Series X price to be $499.99
Sony announces that PS5 is $399.99

Xbox announces then that Xbox Series S is $399.99 as well
Plus you never know, they might have another version Xbox Series C to be $299.99 (Fully Digital/Cloud based system)

Because Xbox have different SKUs from the get go (From what it looks like), they can counter back.
Everybody seems to think Ps5 will be $499

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It seems weird that the industry leader is waiting to see what a second (or third if you include Nintendo) place competitor is doing. Seems a little weak, but what do I know. I'm just a PC guy

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
nahh i don't care if it even get delayed to 2021 to much games to play to focus o next hardware. I'm still going to buy it. I don't care who wins the next gen wars I only care about the content.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada

Yeah Lockhart does exist but not sure what they are going to call it. That is what I meant. But
$300 for a streaming only box?
It is just mock-ups and we playing the hypothetical game. But a brand new console that is $299... some gamers might go for it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
These threads are unbearable. There seriously does not need to be the same thread worded differently every week.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The title of the original thread was amended because Sony didn't mention anything about the Xbox, so you just decided to make your own thread so you can attribute that statement to them, essentilly recreating the title of the thread that had it's title changed, correct?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
...I don't think they're waiting on Microsoft's price announcement. I think they're just not ready to make a pricing announcement in February, before these things are even being manufactured.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Sony will wait and let MS show their hand first as they have already begun to at TGAs. I think they also want MS to go as cheap as they can get them to so that they sell the console at as much of a loss as possible. For example, perhaps Sony is confident at pricing theirs at 500 vs MS' 599 box (for arguments sake) but then getting MS to settle on 550 because they're scared and Sony then going to 450 or even 400. Sony is about to have a much better year than MS in terms of their current gen lineup. With all the hype around FF, TLoU 2 and Tsushima they can ride this wave easily till mid year if need be. MS being the one who has already started hyping their console with stuff like Hellblade won't want to wait longer as they have far more riding on what's next than Sony does. Sony could actually probably delay their console and be perfectly happy. The PS4 is still doing incredibly well. Imagine what a mid year price drop around the time of FF and TLoU would do for those numbers.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you assume Xbox won't meet demand? I don't believe there ever were shortages of the X1. I do remember empty PS4 racks with big stacks of X1's next to them.
Did Xbox One have comparable sale figures to PS4 in the launch window? I was going off of new gen consoles usually selling out no matter what due to demand. (googles it)

Well X1 (I didn't know it didn't have supply issue) had a very bad launch with regard to negatives, I can see it not being as attractive.

Edit:
For the PlayStation 4, most stores received anywhere from 30 to 50 units. At every store we called back, they had sold out of all of their units within one to two hours of the store openings. Furthermore, checking back yesterday, all the stores had sold out of inventory they received since the launch as well.

For the Xbox One, we learned that most stores only received about 10 to 20 units. When we called to check sales at 5:00 p.m., only 40% of stores reported they sold out. The remaining stores still had inventory, and several told us they were sure they would have some this weekend. The bottom line is that most stores were not concerned about selling out — even with less units.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Didn't they wait to announce PS4 price until well after the initial reveal?

Edit: Also, what would be the potential ramifications of them "waiting" to reveal the price? Literally nothing? Okay, cool, that's what I thought.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
It doesn't worry me because I decided a while ago to move to XBox next generation. This will be my first MS Console, and I have previously owned every Playstation console to date. It will feel weird to change, but I like what Spencer is doing and I feel MS are doing some good stuff by gamers. I also like their approach of moving their software to other platforms too and I'll be interested to see where their interest/support of software on Nintendo platforms go from here.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i just want them to reveal it already so i can pre-order. also there's nothing to worry about until August comes around and they still haven't stated a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.