• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I thought he was gonna say port it to non-VR and I was like nononono. But this is still not necessary and they have not given up on VR.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Nobody knows for sure if Sony are all-in on next-gen VR.

But looking at the stats for this gen, they have sold 5 million PSVR units in 4 years. The total userbase for PS4 consoles is 115 million. That means only 4% of the userbase own PSVR.

With numbers like that, there is definitely no need for Sony to rush into next-gen VR at this point in time.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to all the trouble to send out free PS5 adapters for the camera, so I really don't think they're dropping it at all.

Oct 30, 2017
how would astrobot even work on PCVR without a dualshock 4?

you'd need a controller with a gyroscope and a touchpad plus a headset or camera capable of tracking it in specific ways. this would not expand the audience for the game as much as you're imagining.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Or...

They're just trying to have a successful PS5 launch, and get that into as many homes as possible before they say, "Hey, guys, ready to drop another $400 on our shiny new PSVR2 next week?! Hey, where are you going, come back! It's really awesome, we promise!"

I know enthusiast gamers want everything now, now now, but building a business model that will be beneficial to the company as well as the gamer isn't easy. Considering how much of a success PSVR was for Sony, but also keeping in mind that out of an install base of 113 million people, they only sold 5 million PSVR headsets, I think it makes sense that they will focus these first 2+ years of the PlayStation 5's life on growing the install base of the PS5.

I have no doubt that the PSVR2 is going to be a significant improvement over the first headset. Just the patents we've seen already suggest that.

Once the PS5 install base becomes large enough where the release of a high end PSVR2 headset makes financial sense, we will get it. Sony hasn't given even a whiff of disengaging from VR. It's just still in the infancy stages considering that they are launching their high profile next gen console in 3 days, and during a pandemic, no less.

Patience, man. PSVR2 will come in time.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I definitely think Sony will make another iteration of PSVR. But I still agree they should port Astro Bot to PC if they're willing to port games like Horizon. VR is one platform where the fragmentation caused by exclusives really hurts.

Oct 27, 2017
Not even stealthily port begging lol

Relax, they're making a PSVR2 that will probably be out in a couple of years. 2022-2023 sometime, I'd say. Besides, you can run PSVR + PSVR games on PS5 if you so wish.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Right. This idea that Sony is going to suddenly abandon VR software is also probably overstated. They released several pretty big games this year in VR. Iron Man VR was a big investment in particular.

My guess is that for the time being, any PSVR titles are going to look a lot like Blood & Truth. Technically a PS4 game, but potentially with specific boosts and bonuses if you play them on PS5 to make the game better there. The point being to make sure you can play the games on either system. Otherwise you're fracturing the PSVR userbase and right now that userbase isn't big enough for that to make sense.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Didn't they file a patent for a new VR controller design recently? PSVR also sold really well, and I remember reading that Sony was quite pleased with it. There will definitely be a PSVR 2. My guess is they are just sending a message not to expect it anytime soon.

Patents don´t mean that something really materializes.

besides that, by the time they maybe will put out a PSVR2 the interest in VR will be very low. i still don´t believe that there will be a PSVR 2, the big hype phase with the Rift and Oculus and "woohoo, VR gaming!" in which PSVR released in is done at this point.

They're going to all the trouble to send out free PS5 adapters for the camera, so I really don't think they're dropping it at all.

they are sending out these adapters so that you can use the PSVR through PS4 BC on your PS5, nothing more.

PSVR is doing well. Sony is supporting it. New games are coming out. It's fine.

PSVR is on life support at this point, it is ancient tech. Sony has said there will be no new VR games from them. you even have to buy Hitman 3´s PS4 version to play the VR mode.

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I think 2022 will be PSVR2.0 and then 2023/2024 will be PS5 Pro.

Probably don't want PS5 exclusives on PSVR at the minute as it would take some of the wow from PS5 PSVR 2.0 exclusives at launch.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Sony not showing interest in future VR?
Lmao, where did you even read something like that? They're even giving VR adaptors for free so thet you can fully use your current PSVR on PS5, while they develop the next one

Jun 23, 2019
Patents don´t mean that something really materializes.

besides that, by the time they maybe will put out a PSVR2 the interest in VR will be very low. i still don´t believe that there will be a PSVR 2, the big hype phase with the Rift and Oculus and "woohoo, VR gaming!" in which PSVR released in is done at this point.

they are sending out these adapters so that you can use the PSVR through PS4 BC on your PS5, nothing more.

PSVR is on life support at this point, it is ancient tech. Sony has said there will be no new VR games from them. you even have to buy Hitman 3´s PS4 version to play the VR mode.

We already know Sony is working on the next iteration of PSVR. This is a bizarre post.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are developing another VR headset with new tracking
They've given out free VR adaptors for their new platform.
They just released an update to one of their best VR games yesterday.
They acquired Insomniac Games, one of the premier VR developers who also work in the console space.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats basically a tldr of my OP
No it's not, most of the OP is operating under the assumption Sony has abandoned VR for the time being and the "ship has sailed" on a new headset, when this is patently false.

Sony is hard at work on a PSVR2, but this will be it's own hardware launch when it's ready. They need to get through the PS5 launch window and all of it's marketing before they move onto the PSVR2. If they had announced both at the same time, each piece of hardware would have been eating into the attention of the other. Not to mention that launching both a console at nearly half a grand next to a $300-$400 peripheral is setting up the latter to fail.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
With the recent developments around PSVR, both that there are no PS5 versions of PS VR titles and the comment from Jim Ryan I think it is pretty clear Sony is at best taking a wait and see approach for future VR headsets and software, and more likely than not moving away from the technology entirely. As someone with a decent PSVR game collection, and it being my only headset I was hoping we would get an updated unit with inside out tracking and better screens and finally ditch the move controllers, but that ship has sailed so now the next best option would be for some of the best PSVR exclusives to come to PC.

Key among these is Astro Bot Rescue Mission. Much like how Astro's Playroom is being touted as the feature showcase for the dual sense, Astro Bot was the first game that really really impressed me in VR.

From what I have seen of Playroom it doesn't quite capture the expansive world that Astro Bot did, and as someone now at non-Sony headsets this is one of a handful of PSVR exclusives that they should port if they are not going forward with hardware development.
"Sony hasn't talked about VR during their next console launch, per their previously communicated plans; the only logical inference is they are ditching VR. Better port a game to flat that was designed specifically to work in the VR space.

The lack of understanding of Sony's previous communication on the subject, the stuff happening in the background, the current global environment, and then the leaps of logic are nothing short of astounding.

A new VR headset is coming.
No, we shouldn't port Rescue Mission to PS5.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
People really should breathe before opening threads honestly.
Yesterday we just knew that B&T was going to have a patch to improve for psvr on ps5.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I agree astro bot should come to pc just like games like half life alyx should come to psvr when they are able to make it work. Vr market is small enough that exclusives hurt way more than traditional games.

I do not agree Sony abandoned vr though.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how people can interpret things in a way that suits them. His exact words were that it "wouldn't be a meaningful part of interactive entertainment in the near future" and that it "still has a long way to go", although he emphasized that "Sony isn't giving up on the medium"

Here are his words paraphrased, as to how I took it...

"VR isn't going to be mainstream or even like 30% of PlayStation's business any time soon, it's still pretty niche, but aren't giving up on the medium, it just has a long way to go"

This is really just another elaborate port-begging thread.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
breathe just breathe

tenor.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Jesus Christ, talk about reading something and creating a narrative that suits your views!

"Come on Sony, I know you've spent the past few years working on the PS5 that's one of, if not the, most important parts of your portfolio but even though it's not out yet I really think you should be confirming whether or not you've got a new VR headset in the works!"

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
They wouldn't be sending out free PSVR adaptors for the PS5 if they didn't give a shit.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you're taking Jeff Gertsmann's ultra cynical/pessimistic read on Jimbo's combat.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It's way too early for Sony to be talking about or announcing VR hardware. They would want to do that separately after PS5 is out. Not saying they 100% will but it's crazy to be saying they don't when the console isn't even out yet

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Misread the OP - would be happy with a PC VR port but I don't think Sony are giivng up on VR just yet. Astro Boy is also still playable on PSVR on the PS5 with an adaptor and I'd be surprised if it wasn't backward compatible with a new headset (or at least patched to incorporate new features) seeing as it's one of their showcase titles.

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty sure Sony's strategy for VR is all PSVR games must run on base PS4, doesn't mean they won't have a Pro and PS5 boost mode though as we have seen with B&T. There will not be any "exclusive" PSVR games for PS5 as they all have to run on PS4.

When PSVR2 launches then we will see PS5 exclusive VR games that don't run on PSVR.

jaffajones

Sep 9, 2020
Nonsense statement. Companies are trying to launch consoles during a pandemic and ship games. PSVR2 will come but take longer.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Sony giving support day one to PSVR on PS5 and giving FREE adaptor to use it = Sony showing no interest in VR.
Ok.

Also -> Astrobot porting without VR would lose a lot. You should play to understand. It is built around VR.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't like how Sony's treating PSVR 1.0 on PS5 (as in: not really supporting it with their own new games anymore), I didn't come to the conclusion that Sony won't support VR anymore.

I beliebe the graphical gap between PSVR 1.0 and 2.0 (PS5) will be at least as big as the one between PS1 and PS2 games: massive. Add Wireless VR thanks to WiFi6 into the equation and it is easy to see why PSVR 2.0 could be a real game changer.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PSVR2 is a few years away, can Sony at least sell me a processor box that will allow HDMI 2.1 passthrough? Integrating PSVR into the PS5 is going to be painful.
Right now the PS5 isn't even taking advantage of HDMI 2.1 anyways, unless some game out there is actually going to run at 120FPS while in 4K.

Only game confirmed to run at 4K/120 FPS on PS5 so far is the 2D game Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom. HDMI 2.0 can do 1440p and lower at 120 FPS, those games should theoretically work fine with HDMI 2.0. I play games at 1440p/120 FPS from my 2080 Ti's HDMI 2.0 output quite often, in fact.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how people can interpret things in a way that suits them. His exact words were that it "wouldn't be a meaningful part of interactive entertainment in the near future" and that it "still has a long way to go", although he emphasized that "Sony isn't giving up on the medium"

Here are his words paraphrased, as to how I took it...

"VR isn't going to be mainstream or even like 30% of PlayStation's business any time soon, it's still pretty niche, but aren't giving up on the medium, it just has a long way to go"

This is really just another elaborate port-begging thread.
It's basically the same thing Sony's been saying since the beginning: That they see VR as a long term investment, not a short term one.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Right now the PS5 isn't even taking advantage of HDMI 2.1 anyways, unless some game out there is actually going to run at 120FPS while in 4K.

Only game confirmed to run at 4K/120 FPS on PS5 so far is the 2D game Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom. HDMI 2.0 can do 1440p and lower at 120 FPS, those games should theoretically work fine with HDMI 2.0. I play games at 1440p/120 FPS from my 2080 Ti's HDMI 2.0 output quite often, in fact.
My box can't even pass HDR at the moment and I'd rather not get stuck behind another bottleneck with a replacement. Plus since the PS5 can't output at 1440p, we're talking about dropping down to 1080p.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My box can't even pass HDR at the moment and I'd rather not get stuck behind another bottleneck with a replacement. Plus since the PS5 can't output at 1440p, we're talking about dropping down to 1080p.
At 120 FPS, most PS5 games are dropping down at least that far anyways. But yeah that sucks for people who have the first gen PSVR box that doesn't even pass HDR.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR 2 is obviously coming. It's just common sense that they want to focus on the PS5 first. Give it a year or so.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
With the recent developments around PSVR, both that there are no PS5 versions of PS VR titles and the comment from Jim Ryan I think it is pretty clear Sony is at best taking a wait and see approach for future VR headsets and software, and more likely than not moving away from the technology entirely. As someone with a decent PSVR game collection, and it being my only headset I was hoping we would get an updated unit with inside out tracking and better screens and finally ditch the move controllers, but that ship has sailed so now the next best option would be for some of the best PSVR exclusives to come to PC.

Key among these is Astro Bot Rescue Mission. Much like how Astro's Playroom is being touted as the feature showcase for the dual sense, Astro Bot was the first game that really really impressed me in VR.

From what I have seen of Playroom it doesn't quite capture the expansive world that Astro Bot did, and as someone now at non-Sony headsets this is one of a handful of PSVR exclusives that they should port if they are not going forward with hardware development.

Wow OP you're quite the pessimist concerning PSVR, while it sucks we didn't get some real official infos on how they're going to treat PSVR1 on PS5 going forward, they did signal their interest in the tech quite clearly:

- Almost 100% BC with PSVR games on the PS5
- All VR accessories should work on the PS5 for PS4VR games
- Free camera adapter for everyone at or near PS5 launch
- All them PSVR2 patents (yeah they could also never use them)

It seems like you were expecting to get a new PSVR headset around PS5 launch or at least an announcement for the PSVR2? This was always very very unlikely to happen.

The next couple of months and maybe even years might suck for those like me and you who eagerly anticipate the PSVR2 headset, because if Sony reiterates their nextgen messaging pace with the PSVR2, we might be confronted with a long time of deafening silence.

But I still remain confident, that Sony is right now working hard on the nextgen of PSVR headset, controllers and games and that PSVR2 will blow minds, especially if you'll jump to it from a PSVR1.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
I swear some people have to be for lack of a better term taking the piss lmao, no it isn't clear Sony has abandoned vr. Now have some patience mate psvr2 was never going to be this year.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They can just do both.

I expect a PSVR2 in a few years time. The patents are compelling. The first one is the best selling headset, I think they could knock it out of the park the second time around.

I think part of the reason the dualsense exists is to ampilfy VR experience

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The cornerstone of PS5 messaging is "immersive gaming" which Sony continues to be heavily invested in.

They have been planning the next-gen of VR for a while and it's coming. If it's not this year, and it's not next year, then it's probably going to arrive in 2022 - which is 6 years on from the first iteration and represents the same kind of gap as with consoles.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Isn't there already a PS5 only PSVR game announced? lol
No. PSVR doesn't work on PS5 games.
Using the example of the recent announcement, I believe that Low Fi dev saying that it would be coming specifically to PS5 without releasing on PS4 is that it will be ported using PS5's mode 3

Technically it won't be considered a PS5 game but it'll only be able to be played on the PS5.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
The camera adapter, bc and game boost patches don't really reek of "commitment" to me, they're just ways to fulfill their broader promise of enhanced PS4 BC. True commitment (to the current consumer) would be publishing first party PSVR games all the way until PSVR 2 and then some.

They still seem committed to the future of VR, but who knows if the consensus eta will even pan out- all the more reason they should be publishing PSVR games in the interim, to reassure people.