• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It sounds like a medical topic on a medical forum but I'm curious to see if there's more to my "issue" than what most will think. Let's make things immediately clear: my eyesight is still good and I don't have need of lens or glasses atm. I've been playing games for decades now, finished FF7r few days ago, Death Stranding before it and many more games in the last months without issues. Any kind of game, graphics and visual styles (even VR on Oculus Quest!). Yet, once in a while, luckily very rarely, I find myself playing games that are very hard to look at and makes me easily tired. What I don't understand is the reason for it. It happens with games that fill up the screen with TOO MANY objects and details with a not clear use of colors, shades and such. The current case is The Outer Worlds and my god, is this game difficult for everyone else here to see "through"? There's really too much on screen for my eyes to be at relax. The enviroments are too detailed, specially outside the first town. I mean FF7 is even more graphically impressive and running on the same engine yet the style is so perfect that everything is clean and easy to read and look at. While here I have to seriously focus to distinguish every single object from each other one, in a complete mess of washed out colors and contrasts, making me easily tired. Why does this happen? It's important to state that I'm not talking of subtitles (token to the possibility to make the fonts bigger btw) and that I'm playing on a 55 inches.
I also like to state that generally the more is not the better, sometimes a clean visual style is all that needed and filling up the enviroment with millions of details doesn't improve the overall aspect. I always find myself more at conform with less realistic looking enviroment and characters with style over complexity. In any case, I wanted to ask if this is common for some of you or I'm the only one having these experiences with rare games.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
My guess is it's the chromatic aberration. That stuff gives me headaches and I don't know why so many devs default to it and don't give players options to turn it off.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Chromatic aberration is the devil. I found The Outer Worlds difficult to look at too. Its the weird colour pallet I think.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just started playing The Outer Worlds and have been feeling exactly the same. I feel like I'm looking through the screen. The game looks good, don't get me wrong, but I find it so difficult to read and perceive depth.

I have the same problem with The Witcher 3, and thought it was just me.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Yeah, I hope that next game will have better colour correction. (Turn10 is one the best in the industry with that, I hope that they will help a little bit)

OP
OP
Perfo

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Chromatic aberration is the devil. I found The Outer Worlds difficult to look at too. Its the weird colour pallet I think.

That's the first thing I tried turning off, it helps just a bit and I'm keeping it off because it just looks better without.

Just started playing The Outer Worlds and have been feeling exactly the same. I feel like I'm looking through the screen. The game looks good, don't get me wrong, but I find it so difficult to read and perceive depth.

I have the same problem with The Witcher 3, and thought it was just me.

Yes, Witcher 3 might be another case in which I experienced the same issue. Specially with how much important is in these type of games scanning with your eyes the enviroment, often full of objects to pick up. The issue is even more grave in The Outer Worlds because the objects that can be picked up are so small, plenty and not immediately highlighted that makes going through every enviroment with your eyes a slow procedure and obviously a pain in the ass in regards to the said issue.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah The Outer Worlds gave me some problems my first time starting the game up when you arrive at the first planet you go to. Like I actually started to squint because my eyes hurt. But I started adjusting and got used to it and the feeling went away after my second play session.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
wow!

i fired up the outer worlds about a month ago and just didn't like the way it looked whatsoever

what was strange was that it looked like a video game, and a video game i'd played many times before (as in bethesda'ish). additionally the visuals were excellent, so no qualms there

in a completely unexplained and irrational sense though, it felt really uncomfortable to look at. almost like every pixel was too busy. i can't really say this has ever happened to me before, but my eyes and brain took an instant dislike to the game

i always thought that experience was strange until this very thread. will be interesting to see what's discussed

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Could be the chromatic aberration, or just the colour scheme. Happened to me sometimes playing Uncharted 2/3, since the games are so colourful I couldn't focus on certain parts and got eye strain.

HDR has made it worse, since now colours are more vivid.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I didn't played The Outer Worlds mainly because of what I watched of it, yes. I also had big trouble and I think there are two reasons :
  • Pastel Color pallet
  • One color per Planet
That mean there isn't any contrast the game.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I didn't get on well with The Outer Worlds' visuals either, haven't gone back to it after the first few hours. Bit of a shame as I was quite looking forward to it.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
I feel you OP, playing Dishonored 2 was like torture for me even tho I love the game so much, and I'm having trouble finishing DOTO for the same reason.

FREEONEUP

Jul 4, 2018
Feel the same with The Outer Worlds but Borderlands 3 is even worse. After 15min, I just feel like playing long session in VR. Change FOV in The Outer Worlds helps a bit.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
With some posts, large paragraphs of text tire me eyes so easily.

If you're playing on PC, disable CA. It's really strong in The Outer Worlds and likely the reason for your tired eyes. Unfortunately if playing on console, you're stuck with it.
Could be the chromatic aberration, or just the colour scheme. Happened to me sometimes playing Uncharted 2/3, since the games are so colourful I couldn't focus on certain parts and got eye strain.

HDR has made it worse, since now colours are more vivid.
Make sure your colour gamut isn't mistakenly set to "Wide" on your TV as that will over-saturate colours. Often Game Mode will turn it on my default, because for some reason TV manufacturers think that gamers like overly saturated colours, rather than seeing the games how they were intended.

Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean. I recall The Outer Worlds having some pretty extreme post-process effects, where the contrast and saturation is ramped up, to the point where it can get very visually tiring (especially when combined with chromatic aberration and sharpening).

Jan 29, 2018
I was getting a lot of eye strain playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, now I wear glasses when I play games (and pretty much only when I play games). Couldn't hurt to get your eyes checked.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found this with Journey to the Savage Planet, as it's a fairly linear game posing as an open world it's pretty densely detailed as it is, then you combine that with how vibrant absolutely every detail of the world is and it became a real strain on the eyes. The latter end of the game in particular kinda felt like sensory overload, and I haven't gone back to it since.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Outer Worlds has quite a bit of chromatic aberration and a serious lack of depth going on in the backgrounds, maybe that's the issue?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Outer worlds because of CA and very weird contrast, Bloodborne because of low framerates , framepacing issues, CA and lack of anti aliasing and Horizon Zero dawn in HDR the colors are bit much

OP
OP
Perfo

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
95 should works fine

I'll try later thanks.

In any case I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling like this, it must be like others suggested a wrong use of contrast and saturation. What I don't get is how we got here. Lots here in just few minutes from opening the topic are sharing my same issue, yet the devs didn't know about this when testing and re-testing the game with beta-testers? It's strange no one felt to share the same sentiment inside this company. It's unfortunate because I do like the artstyle they are going for, and I'm a fan of UE4, yet something's very wrong here and results are painful. Such a shame.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
The Outer Worlds is pretty hard to look at. It's not only the CA but there'a also little to no visual difference between objects\scenery in the foreground vs the background.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The art direction in The Outer Worlds is gaudy and just straight up sucks, a literal eyesore.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What do you mean by this out of interest?
I'm not sure if I can explain this adequately but when playing the game I always felt like a very large area of the game was in the foreground in focus. Usually games have some way of separating background from foreground but Obsidian doesn't really seem to be doing this.

Or maybe I'm just making stuff up, but something definitely felt off to me.

settings-e1572074193921.jpg

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
OP, it's ironic that you talk about tired eyes and at the same time don't use a single paragraph in your text.

On the topic, console versions of The Outer Worlds run in 30fps and that alone is enough for my eyes to get tired, since you can't focus on any moving on-screen elements with such a low framerate, even more so in first person.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
another game i suffered with was fable 3 on the 360... every single movement made by anything on screen had this atrocious fuzzy hazey ghosting effect present. the game was just awful to look at

Oct 25, 2017
Consider turning down the backlight on your TV. It's a SDR game and most TVs have backlight settings set absurdly high. That might help alleviate some of the problems with the colorful scheme as your eyes won't be exposed to constant overly bright colors.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have no issue with chromatic abberation, The Outer World's was just kind of hideous in general and looking at it for long periods of time was somewhat unfavorable. the game made me kind of motion sick and the saturation kind of burns everything out after a while.

I love most Obsidian games but The Outer World's really is a gigantic let down for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah.. I liked and finished the game, but I think this issue stems from the color scheme and chromatic aberration used in The Outer Worlds. It's just kind of tough to look at.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not sure if I can explain this adequately but when playing the game I always felt like a very large area of the game was in the foreground in focus. Usually games have some way of separating background from foreground but Obsidian doesn't really seem to be doing this.

Or maybe I'm just making stuff up, but something definitely felt off to me.

settings-e1572074193921.jpg
Judging from your screenshot, you're playing on PC? I can tell that screenshot doesn't have the LoD fix, so LoD is really close (basically same as the console versions - due to CPU/GPU limitations).

But if you have a half decent GPU then you can push the LoD really far out with an easy config file mod, and you'll get rid of that weird effect you can see in this screenshot where everything in the distance seems to lack any detail, shadows, lighting etc. Makes a gigantic difference to the look of the game and also stops any visible pop-in as you move around.

Instructions here: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Reduce_pop-in

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that drove me nuts playing Outer Worlds on Xbox one x was when you opened a door or turned around real quick the edges of the screen would show some weird flashing or culling glitches or something.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Can't say I have that issue a lot, but The Outer Worlds was definitely one of them!
Something about it was so tiring. Dropped it as soon as I got to the 2nd/3rd world (didn't find the game interesting either).

Oh and I did disable CA and increase FOV...helped a bit but not enough.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's also probably the head-bobbing. It's the worst feature if the devs don't give an option to turn it off (thankfully you can with a mod on PC).

May 15, 2018
Denmark
I can't play games with motion blur without tiring my eyes and getting dizzy. It feels the same as 3d movies to me - my eyes try to focus on areas that are blurred and get confused when the blurred areas don't come into focus.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Some games fuck with my eyesight and equilibrium. For some reason COD: Warzone makes me feel queasy and wreaks havoc on my eyes after an hour or two of play. I've sat WAY too close for several hour game sessions for visual explosion games like Overwatch and been completely fine. But yeah, some games just hit my eyes in a way that mess me up as well.

Tayls

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I think its games with abnormal gamma because my eyes get tired from playing too long various bright and colorful JRPGs and some dark horror games.