• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
The announcement of Zac Snyder Justice League is coming in 2021 is trending quite big right now. My question is how does this effect the future of the DCEU? We know some of the future movies coming out; (Wonder Woman 2, Shazam 2, Flash, etc.) But if this movie becomes huge and many believe this movie is better then Josh Wheldon's movie this could become the definitive version. We also know Zac Synder had a plan and had a second Justice League movie planned the following year 2019 but that never happened. With all the actors talking about how Zac's version is what everybody should have seen, makes me wonder could be see a Justice League 2 or even the return of several actors who have been away. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. It could happen when we look at how this announcement happened Henry Cavill was in the call when Zac announced the new cut.

What does everybody think?
Could this new version push new films or continue Zac's original plan?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this just exists to push HBO Max subs. I don't think they're going to rethink the DCEU (if it even exists any more) because of it unless it's the Citizen Kane of superhero movies. But with Martha instead of Rosebud.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I hope so, at least regarding Cavill--I did enjoy him in the role and thought he would have been an amazing Superman, if given better material.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I don't think Cavill was ever confirmed as off the role, probably some awkward thing kept a cameo on Shazam! to what it was.

I also don't think any of the films so far have retconned or ignored the past films...so it can do anything and the new cut could work more with the films too!

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean this is bucking to a fan campaign but honestly the films have done better financially, creatively and critically with his departure.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey and Joker.

So it would be an odd business decision.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Ain't nothing stopping The Batman.

Cavill might come back as Superman though. Probably the only thing. Whether it's a sequel to Man of Steel or something separate is a different question.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
WB gave the big DC connected universe thing a push. It didn't take, and an HBO Max miniseries isn't going to change that.

They're focusing now on what people actually liked from that era, which is WW. They're making a different Batman. They're making a different Suicide Squad. I would be extremely surprised if JL 2 happens or if Cyborg happens or if Ezra Miller ever gets their Flash film.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
If Cavill left because WB were unwilling to acquiesce to his/his agents' terms during the renegotiation process (as was rumored), then I can only imagine they would angle for even better perks if the Snyder cut was successful (not to mention the success of the Witcher), and I doubt WB thinks a new Superman film with Cavill would justify giving him Robert Downey Jr-esque stroke

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They've already thrown out much of Snyder's influence, and have had great success while doing so. So no, not gonna happen.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Cavill is returning to that role ever. He seems to be finding more joy in working on the Witcher and other film projects than being Superman.

Also I really doubt the Snyder cut will revitalize interest in the DC film universe. It just didn't work.

The looser, the better.

WB gave the big DC connected universe thing a push. It didn't take, and an HBO Max miniseries isn't going to change that.

They're focusing now on what people actually liked from that era, which is WW. They're making a different Batman. They're making a different Suicide Squad. I would be extremely surprised if JL 2 happens or if Cyborg happens or if Ezra Miller ever gets their Flash film.

After Ezra choked that fan on camera, I cannot imagine the Flash moving forward.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Nope. Wonder Woman is the only character from the Snyder-verse with a future.
Don't forget the king
3a13d10cb0ef5e313ffa488d44c5d966.gif

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Cavill's playing Warhammer 2 and painting minatures. Leave him alone.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At a stretch they might do a Superman film with Cavill since the Witcher kinda pushed him back up but probably way cheaper going with someone else and giving it another go way down the line after exhausting the remains of the DCEU with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the new Batman films.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maybe right now DC seems lost as they're pumping random movies each year, connect them and actually make a DC universe

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Nope. It'll hopefully just cap Snyder's trilogy with a nice bow and they'll move on with their current plans. The theatrical cut of Justice League will still be the canon one.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Are they really still going to let Snyder direct DCU movies?

Because, let's be honest, they've all been poorly-received trash.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I doubt it. Depending on how well it does it could however mean Snyder could get to helm another one-off DC movie.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'm probably in denial, but this gives me some level of hope (pun intended) that Cavill will return.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully not, they have been doing well doing essentially one-shots / What-ifs.

And we know the new Snyder's Justice League miniseries is not gonna be met with acclaim except from his fans, so there.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. Zack did hand pick both Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa who are now stars of their own $1 billion franchises. Justice League 2 will eventually happen and they will need a version of Batman and Superman in it, and it definitely cant be Matt Reeve's version so I fully expect Ben Affleck and Henry coming back if this thing is received well.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Ben Affleck seems to be done with Batman. So I doubt we will ever see his Batman again

Cavill was never "officially" gone. His contract ran out and aside from small cameos in other movies WB had no plans for a movie with Superman anytime soon. I mean if they waited long enough we all knew what was likely to happen, Cavill would never be back. However if this gets WB to consider a Cavill Superman movie/cameo again, they could bring him back.

Last edited:

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what the hell WB wants to do with DC at all. Is the DCEU dead? Will The Batman be a part of it or will it be its own thing like Joker?

Oct 25, 2017
They'll keep on with their current trajectory of films, and if it's successful treat Snyder's stuff as an alt-universe thing with different branding.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it matters. DC should just keep cranking out amazing diverse content like Joker, Shazam, Doom Patrol, Watchmen, etc - and they'll be well off.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
If it does amazing numbers I think we will see another Justice League greenlit soon. No guarantee of Cavill coming back though

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
How anyone wants to write off Pattinson's Batman before even seeing it, when it was verrrry clear Affleck was done with the role.. I don't get that. I also have no idea what it would take for any studio to risk a JL2 so soon simply off the back of streaming service numbers

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Just set up the multiverse and it won't matter anymore. Hell they are already doing it:

They might as hell embrace the diversity of their movies and forget trying for a linear cinematic universe like MCU.
I hope Cavill gets one more movie where he goes against Braniac or Metallo.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the DCEU could get a direct-to-HBO Max Flashpoint adaptation. Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne, Flash, Cyborg, appearances from Wonder Woman and Aquaman. A multi-episode thing, like the Snyder cut might end up being.

If Zack Snyder works on another DCEU project I could see it being something like that.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"So yeah casual fan, remember that Justice League you watched? Well turns out that doesn't count, you have to watch THE REAL JL by paying a sub to HBO max and sitting through four hours of movie, also you have to ignore that Phoenix Joker ever happened cause in this version it's still Leto, and yeah that upcoming Batman movie with Pattinson doesn´t count either, and Affleck is out but the....Wait where are you going?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Maybe... maybe they keep Cavill around, especially after Witcher helped stabilize his popularity a bit. But they seriously need to rethink who they hand the keys for Superman to. Or even have him help get Supergirl off the ground like some rumors from acouple years ago were suggesting.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
To be honest the real damage is already done (Batfleck out). I do hope it's a better movie than the one we got and is in line with the tone of MOS and BVS.

Now , with the Multiverse implications.....who knows.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
its just a mea culpa to Snyder and also an easy way for them to make new content for HBO Max while filming and production is halted because of COVID.

nothing more than that. maybe Cavill will stay signed on but Pattinson is batman now, and I hope WB looks at less of an interconnected universe for their films. I really don't want that shit infecting Reeves' batman trilogy idea.