• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Will we see a big positive impact from all of this or will it be a minor blink with getting our earth back to a healthy state?

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Well, the automobile parts plants that provided most of the jobs to the counties I'm in are shutting down now so there's that. I'm not entirely sure where those people are going to get work now.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yup a few months dip is going to all vanish when this lockdown stops and people won't be aware of the positive impact to continue their reduced destruction currently.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
edition.cnn.com

China's coronavirus lockdown curbs deadly pollution, likely saving the lives of tens of thousands, says researcher

The drastic measures enforced by China during the coronavirus outbreak have slashed deadly air pollution, potentially saving the lives of tens of thousands of people, a Stanford University researcher said.
www.businessinsider.com

Coronavirus quarantines have reduced air pollution in China. An expert says that won't last long.

The reduction in traffic and production resulted in a decrease in emissions in China, but that most likely won't be the case for long.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
it will, but only like 2% or 3% better and I'm being generous. Its not long enough to heal the planet.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Unfortunately, I feel like once this is over (maybe 2-3 years), people will just go back to the way things were.

We need 1) to enforce working from home 2) if a company wants to build a building for 5k people (for example), they have to build 5k homes in the surrounding area (can't have one without the other) 3) enforce better working and commuting practices.

People are living so far away from where they work, and it's killing everyone.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
My guess is the drop is emissions is dramatic enough and long enough to end up buying us a couple of years of what marginal improvements to emissions standards and increased efficiency would have otherwise managed. Without addressing the underlying problem though, a little more time isn't going to mean much, especially given how close to the edge we already were.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I choose to be more optimistic. I hope that this will open discussion on what once was deemed impossible or too expensive to accomplish.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine that this crisis will be used to fix the infrastructure, but it won't be enough of course.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This year will be great in comparison to past years and the near future years in terms of pollution reduction. But that's about it.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Sadly, instead of learning from this about ways to curb pollution, when the Virus passes, capitalism will just ramp up production of "stuff" more than ever before to gain the lost ground.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Governments should take the opportunity to force companies to get greener or they won't get any bailout money. But that won't happen, so we will keep on like before once this is over.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
We need to use this as a turning point for new regulations, but it's not going to happen.

The scientific studies that come from this should be interesting though.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I feel like once this is over (maybe 2-3 years), people will just go back to the way things were.

We need 1) to enforce working from home 2) if a company wants to build a building for 5k people (for example), they have to build 5k homes in the surrounding area (can't have one without the other) 3) enforce better working and commuting practices.

People are living so far away from where they work, and it's killing everyone.

I LOVE theses ideas!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
This won't make an impact at all. If we went to 0 emissions today, the residual affect will still see a 1-1.5 deg warming. We are not stopping climate change stop getting your hopes up. All we can hope for is maybe 2.5 deg warming but that will be catastrophic anyways.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It will not have any impact whatsoever because the technologies we use are the same. If anything, this will delay the adoption of technologies that can fight global warming.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. When Earth opens again, humans will make sure to double emissions to make up for this period of economic uncertainty.

Nothing will change.

Oct 30, 2017
The air where I am is ordinarily pretty clear (Norfolk, UK countryside) but tbh it's been even cleaner over the last few days; I certainly noticed last night the night sky was a lot clearer and moon/star-gazing was clearer though my scope.

It's also frankly weird not seeing vapour trails and having (albeit already minimal) traffic noise basically vanish. I could happily have that persist, the difference is lovely. Amazing what you put up with when you know no better, so I think after this there might be some demands to sort some of the issues.

Saying that, the worst issues (city and industrial pollution) won't be able to change easily so will go back to the same again. I can only imagine the difference in air in, say, London right now.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I really want it to make people wake up to our impact. If we can see such a drastic change with just a few weeks of everything being shut down, just imagine if we made changes to our lives to make things improve. But it probably won't :(

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The most important factor is probably the tanking oil prices. The drop in demand combined with Saudi Arabia flooding the market is putting a lot of pressure on other suppliers and tanking the values of companies like Exxon and BP. If their demise is speeded up, it will have a major impact. Depriving them of the money to sow disinformation campaigns will be a huge positive.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
We would have to do multiple years or even decades of this reduction in order to help reverse the effects we have done. Though this brief window of reduction we have is nice.