• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 14, 2017
Oh come on.....this thread is about deciding to buy dreams or not. Not how Sony sucks and Xbox and Switch are better.
It's not that Xbox and Switch are 'better.' I'm as surprised as anyone that I'm as turned off by Sony as I am.

The server shutdowns and silence on BC are part of why that is, I think. It doesn't help that some of their best games do nothing for me, but Xbox doesn't exactly have a ton of exclusives that do a better job in my personal use case either. Here, the ability to play the best version of 3rd parties and BC is what makes it compelling. Why is that compelling for someone like me?

I think it's that Sony's first party, single player games are bad movies, honestly. I'm talking about Uncharted, TLOU, and GoW. Something about getting so close to cinema while still being so far away is harder for me to fill in with my imagination. It's not like third party isn't falling down in the same way. The Tomb Raider games don't excite me either.

When we get to things like Destiny, Anthem, PUBG, and Fortnight...I have even less excitement.

Maybe I'm getting old. I've probably put the most time this gen into Stardew Valley and Immortal Redneck.

I have hope. Had Nioh been shorter, it may have been my perfect game.

Lastly, where is the indie love from PlayStation? They were so good at presenting great indies early on. That's gone now.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's wishful thinking. This game won't even make it's money back let alone be profitable. And youre sure it's gonna not only be supported but ported over? At this point sony just would've been smarter to have it be a ps5 launch title

LBP has been incredibly profitable. Why so cynical about Dreams?

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
LBP has been incredibly profitable. Why so cynical about Dreams?
The game was announced 6 years ago. The beta was supposed to be 3 years ago lol. The amount of money poured into his project at this point has to be ridiculous for the amount of money they're gonna get out of it. This isn't some smash hit of a game were talking about here. This game is only going to interest a small amount of people. The buzz surrounding this game outside of the people already interested in it is not that big

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Quite frankly PSN needs a major overhaul, so now that I think of it I'm okay with PS5 not having BC if it means feature parity with its competitors. Mind you, you can change your name on the Switch at will and it doesn't "cause leaderboard issues" or some such nonsense.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the potential, I'm farily certain that Dreams will get a PS5 release and all creations made on PS4 will carry forward.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Recently i played Little Big Planet 3, on PS4 and i could still open, play and edit the levels i created in Little Big Planet 1 on PS3. No worries for me, if anything Media Molecule has shown they know what they doing.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game was announced 6 years ago. The beta was supposed to be 3 years ago lol. The amount of money poured into his project at this point has to be ridiculous for the amount of money they're gonna get out of it. This isn't some smash hit of a game were talking about here. This game is only going to interest a small amount of people. The buzz surrounding this game outside of the people already interested in it is not that big

I'm not sure I agree with you on this. MM only has like 50 employees. This isn't a Ubisoft type game. Also the game wasn't officially announced until 2015, which is still quite a long time, but not six years. I assume you're referring to the demo MM showed during PlayStation Meeting. I don't think it's fair to say they announced Dreams then in the same way Quantic Dream didn't announce Detroit at that same conference.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has to offer some level of BC support. The question is how broad will this support be and will that support be better than what we saw with the PS1 and PS2 BC.

Dreams will be well worth the time and money even if BC isn't supported for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hell no, Dreams is day one early access purchase for me.

They only shut down a few older games that nobody is playing anymore. I would only be worried if they shut down much newer game online servers. Dreams will be fine as long as it has an active community and other active games, like the Uncharted MP, are still alive.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The beta was supposed to be 3 years ago lol. The amount of money poured into his project at this point has to be ridiculous for the amount of money they're gonna get out of it
This isn't a Ubisoft game with thousands working on it, I doubt MM is even 50 or even worked fully on it for 6 years, this concern for Dreams not being successful is ridiculous when it needs to sell much less than your typical AAA game, and not to mention LBP games before it were big successes and this builds and improves on that.

Feb 10, 2018
Sony has to offer some level of BC support. The question is how broad will this support be and will that support be better than what we saw with the PS1 and PS2 BC.

Dreams will be well worth the time and money even if BC isn't supported for some reason.

I think it will be of PS4 Pro quality.
They will virtualise two 1.84tflop chunks of the GPU and some how virtualise the CPU and ram so it runs like the pro.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To keep alive the servers of online games cost money. Money from game sales and dlc help to keep paying them but after certain amount of time with no players this money runs out and they need to shut down the servers. This thing is specific for each game. It's normal that they shut down the servers of a game that had high costs of development and didn't have great sales after several years running.

It doesn't afect at all to upcoming games like Dreams. Dreams will have its own budget for the servers and depending on its performance in sales, user retention and dlc/IAP strategy they will keep earning money to keep the servers running for more or less time. Being released this year (at least the beta), I assume they already designed the game to make it compatible with PS5 in order to keep it running for a while. But at the end, like in all games it will depend on the amount of users supporting across time.

I think it will be of PS4 Pro quality.
They will virtualise two 1.84tflop chunks of the GPU and some how virtualise the CPU and ram so it runs like the pro.
Sony's recent BC related patents are really promising, at least in the tech side I assume the console will be able to support a super wide amount of games if not all of them. But in terms of BC there is always the licensing issues because most deals are made console specific so they need to sign again, maybe some people is hard to find, certain company doesn't exist anymore, some musician has some issues, etc.

But for 1st party recent games like Dreams I'm pretty sure they'll work perfectly on PS5. PS4 has a massive userbase and Sony have a great library on all previous consoles that they can monetize through PSN/PS+/PS Now. If PS5 is powerful enough to emulate perfectly PS3 then I think it's very likely that we'll see the full history of PS supported there.

Last edited:

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
No because i will put hundreds of hours before the server shuts down. This isn't news, servers cost money and eventually have to be shut down to save cost especially when nobody or few people play them and i know some games stay up a decade and some stay up a couple years and there are exceptions to the rule but don't buy a online game or a game that is always online expecting the servers to work forever.

Do i think Sony should should patch out the always online thing? Absolutely. If you're turning off an always online game that has single player modes flip that switch before you shut them servers down.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Isnt Drive Club almost 5 years old and not being actively supported anymore?

I'm concerned about the larger point you are making yes, but I'm not really sure that this is some huge trend. I know they shut down Gravity Rush 2's servers, but the main game is perfectly functional without it. Is this really a huge trend, or just some specific exceptions that are being made into a mountain rather than a molehill?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The studio is profitable, they have been this whole time.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
PS4 is one of only two mainline PlayStation platforms to not support backwards compatibility. The other one is the PSone.

I understand their support for it has been poor this generation, but Sony kinda set the precedent to begin with, no?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lack of BC for next gen? Spill the beans OP - what else do you know?

I'm not even that good at creating and I'm still down for Dreams.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
The studio is profitable, they have been this whole time.
That's not the point. The point was if this game doesn't do well then there's no way they're gonna keep supporting this for 10 years. This game will require the servers to stay up and for user made content to carry this game

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
What is "investing" referring to? Simply buying the game, or putting tens of hours into creating content?

For me personally, it wont matter. I will get Dreams regardless, most likely at launch. I cant see myself playing it in, lets say two years after that. Same thing that happened with LBP for me. So if the servers are up for 5 or 10 years, or even longer, it will be the same for me.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I would never get that invested in it anyways. If I do buy it, I will complete it (if that's possible) and dabble in the side stuff, but won't be an avid content creator or go back to it regularly. Which is why I probably won't buy it.

I was mostly done with LBP games after finishing their campaigns. The created content from fans was never that good, due to game limitations.