• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't treat Portugal the way they treated Scotland
Im out of the loop with this, what did they do?

Obviously I hope we get to shop in one of these

SPrigatiot already has bought the mercadona fuet (I think at this point it sells more than the cas taradellas one, even if its actyually the same, done by the same company, just with hacendado logo lol)

A thread on the influences seen in the trailer:

I find it amazing how some people still think is Central America, ngl.

Yeah, seen a lot of american people in twitter with this take. Lots of were you live its the colombian house of Encanto.
But yeah, if anyone needs more info, that twitter thread is great

Oh damn, I really hope it's similar to your idea. Bat+falla is gonna be great.
Also, to our neighbours to the west, I hope you get real representation and not be an afterthought. (maybe oranges are valencia and the grapes are porto?)
Yeah i also think afterthought or just treat as the same culture would be really sad.
I always thought about the purple grapes being based on spanish win(la mancha, rioja, etc...), but our grapes are actually greenish/yellow and red mostly. Maybe they are using it just to be a more clearl colour distcition from orange, but it may represnt maybe portigal, who knows.

Honestly I think the west side of the region map is just Galicia/León/Extremadura so to speak and that Portugal will be the DLC.
Yeah, i also think this. Its also the best way to create a more distinctive feelin and not make portugal just tackled on (I dont really know what the did the sword and sield expansions as i never played them)

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Im out of the loop with this, what did they do?

Yeah, seen a lot of american people in twitter with this take. Lots of were you live its the colombian house of Encanto.
But yeah, if anyone needs more info, that twitter thread is great

Yeah i also think afterthought or just treat as the same culture would be really sad.
I always thought about the purple grapes being based on spanish win(la mancha, rioja, etc...), but our grapes are actually greenish/yellow and red mostly. Maybe they are using it just to be a more clearl colour distcition from orange, but it may represnt maybe portigal, who knows.

Yeah, i also think this. Its also the best way to create a more distinctive feelin and not make portugal just tackled on (I dont really know what the did the sword and sield expansions as i never played them)

The reigon was based on the UK but they primarily focused on England compared to Scotland or Wales

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The reigon was based on the UK but they primarily focused on England compared to Scotland or Wales
Ah yes, then thats what i dont want the same thing to happen to Portugal then. They already probably gonna leave out a lot of distictive cultural heritage of other regions in spain, so adding portugal to the mix could be treated really bad sadly if its not a distincitve dlc made specially for it. But again, i dont really know how the dlc of sw/sh was, or what was based around from, so i dont know if it can be something that happens with portugal as a dlc.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If tehre is no legendary pokemon in a foggy area of the North like this:

covadonga-cathedral-spain-world-hd-wallpaper-1920x1080-2670.jpg

destaca-espiritual.jpg

I riot.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Are there any jellyfish inspired Pokemon (even though this technically isn't a jellyfish)? If not we will need a Portuguese man o' war Pokemon.

5250.jpg

Maybe be a little creative and throw some resemblance to the Portuguese Caravel that this organism is supposed to resemble.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

destaca-espiritual.jpg

I riot.
If i dont see Toledo in the smack middle of the map, now that the hub city is a mix between Barcelona and Madrid (and seem to be near the pyrinees), I will riot

I always wanted a videogame based on this city or something similar to it, gamefreak, this is your chance.
I also hope thes some muslim flair for any of the south cities.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Looking at the plaza shown in the trailer more closely, it reminds me more of Praça do Comércio than the Spanish one some sites were saying.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I want voice acting because I need games media people to learn how to pronounce the Spanish inspired names. Watching discussions and seeing absolute struggle on Fuecoco and Sprigatito is painful.

Also add paella in some form

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Im still pretty sure becuase of this shot in the trailer clearly cutting portugal for the, and everuthing during that live segment beign about oranges and wine, the game is about Spain, not the iberian peninsula, and theres not gonna be anything about portugal in it.
I can't really understand what you're saying, that the presence of oranges and wine means Portugal is out? In several countries, Portugal or Portuguese is the word for oranges, like in Turkish or Farsi, among others. Also, Portugal is a big wine producer and exporter.

Not that I'm expecting a good representation of Portugal.
Edit: sorry for the double post.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I want voice acting because I need games media people to learn how to pronounce the Spanish inspired names. Watching discussions and seeing absolute struggle on Fuecoco and Sprigatito is painful.

Also add paella in some form
I am curious how they will be pronouced when the anime comes out

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Yeah I can see Plaza Mayor, but it looks more like Praça de Comércio. Maybe it's a mix of both.
Only the yellow buildings reminds me of Praça do Comércio. If that's their attempt even if mixed with other elements, they did an awful job.

I rather they make Portugal DLC or completely ignore it, if they'll do nothing more than shallow references. While Spain should be the focus due to dimension and recognition, Portugal deserves at least respectable chunk if they'll try to tackle it.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I rather they make Portugal DLC or completely ignore it, if they'll do nothing more than shallow references. While Spain should be the focus due to dimension and recognition, Portugal deserves at least respectable chunk if they'll try to tackle it.
Yeah I'd prefer a Portugal focused DLC rather than some half assed references, but I'm not holding my breath.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Don't think they will reference bullfighting but a Bull Pokemon is very likely considering its the national animal of Spain

Oct 25, 2017
Damn there's a lot of potential, so many good suggestions in the thread. I like the Andalusian architecture suggestion, and maybe there could be a city or two off the mainland inspired by Tangier. There's gotta at least be an Ibiza-like island to explore.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Will probalby get some in the evoultions
True. Speaking of possible Pokémon, I expect to see some Iberian Wolf, Rooster, and Cork representation.
Also, it'd be really fun if they made something out of this national symbol:

Zepovinho.jpg

Though they won't, that'd be totally offensive to the spaniards.

Edit: No, it wouldn't. I was thinking of this guy:
Cu-de-Caminha-%C2%A9Manuel-Passos-e1521192795298.jpeg

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
If the pattern holds, we can probably expect a new 2-stage mushroom Pokemon line. Odd numbered generations always seem to include one.

Gen 1: Paras/Parasect
Gen 3: Shroomish/Breloom
Gen 5: Foongus/Amoongus
Gen 7: Morelull/Shiinotic
Gen 9: ?

Is there any ideas that comes to mind for Spanish members? I don't know enough and Google isn't providing much help.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A Steel/Ghost pokemon based on El Mio Cid

A Pokemon based on Mariano Delgado from Aquí no hay quien viva

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really understand what you're saying, that the presence of oranges and wine means Portugal is out? In several countries, Portugal or Portuguese is the word for oranges, like in Turkish or Farsi, among others. Also, Portugal is a big wine producer and exporter.

Not that I'm expecting a good representation of Portugal.
Edit: sorry for the double post.
Oranges and wine grapes in this case are used as the important fruits from Spain, one being the famous Valencian orchard oranges and the other being the wine grapes from la rioja and castilla la mancha. Theres also other foods in that trailer like a bocadillo de jamon iberico, its all very "things you think about when you think about dspain, even if other countries have them also). But the ornages and wine feel pretty important becuase of the shields with their symbols appearing near the door and seeming to be an important par of the logos for both versions.
Dont get me wrong, this fruits are not only spanish. They are found in portugal, italy, france... places were also wine is a big part of their culture, its just that portugal is completly cut off from the map they showed in the live action version.

Maybe im wrong and portugal is indeed may well be part of the region, but that would be a pity as it would seem to be completely integrated to spanish culture from what they have shown, and people saying scotland and wales were very badly represented in sw/sh doesnt bode well for that either
I think portugal is important and has a culture ditsictive enough from spain to be treated better and, for example, be a great region to be part of the dlc of this game. Lisbon is a beautiful place that should be represented architecturally as a big hub city instead of a small forgetful town.
Im already afraid how some of our own diverese regions are going to be misrepresented or completely froget about in this game, a whole country being this way would be a pity.

A Steel/Ghost pokemon based on El Mio Cid

A Pokemon based on Mariano Delgado from Aquí no hay quien viva
I didnt know we had a spanish moderator. that aqyui no hay quien viva reference is a deep cut lol

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not from spain but I've watched ANHQV like 6 times lol gold tier sitcom
Hahahaha yeah! Probably my favourite sitcom made here. A lot of people seem to love the spritual succesor (la que se avecina) but i hate it with every fiber of my being, even with the same writters and actors the flow, characters and jokes seem totally different and more stupid, dont know why,
At least ANHQV got mythical status with the likes of Farmacia de Guardia.
My gf still watches randomly episodes some days, and every time i catche it with her it still funny as hell.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
For the animals the biggest ones would be hogs, rabbits and iberian lynxes for sure, maybe wolves. We used to have a lot of rabbits, lynxes and wolves in the peninsula before hunters and this guy killed most of Europe's rabbit population.
And since I already saw some orange trees in the game, it could be fun if they did something with azahares (orange blossoms) and olives in terms of grass Pokémon.
iu

Animals and plants aside and talking mostly with the south in mind, I'd love to have some representation of the intertwinement of christian and arab cultures. A lot of the country's iconography is a good mix of both due to them coexisting for many years, and it shows everywhere from the language to the architecture.
13936042192799.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg

In fact I still don't register the region as ours because I haven't seen any gates or windows with these kind of metal ornaments or walls decorated with ceramics, outside of a small plate in a house.

Or more unique to seville perhaps, these kind of ornated vases and pots representing the countryside and wildlife. I want details everywhere.
Ramos-Rejano-Sevilla-3-Medium.jpg

Then there's this obvious Spanish mythological beast that would make an awesome Pokémon:

_62450357_restoredfresco.jpg
This thing became so popular that I wouldn't be surprised if they reference it in fun some way, like the fossil Pokémon in Galar.
But in general, Christian iconography is such a big part of the culture and yet I don't expect Pokémon to try to get close to it other than for the Sagrada familia building. It's so rooted into the people that many old butchery and fishmonger shops will have will have at least one depiction of a saint on the wall and the streets have them as well, so it's not something you can really escape. I have seen it sometimes in Greece too, so it must be a common trend in other parts of the mediterranean too.
carniceria-joaquin-romero2-500x500.jpg
iu

galeria-guadalupe-procesion%20(3)_xoptimizadax-kWgB--1352x900@abc.jpg

So that's why I'd love to see some representation of the parades we do for the different interpretations of Virgin Mary. A regional variant for the Litwick line with golden ornaments would be perfect. If not, something related to the mantle itself like what this account proposed would be great:

Last edited:

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
Siuuuuu.gif Happy that the at least the Galo de Barcelos is in. That would be criminal if it wasn't there. Some people must also have seen it due to Nando's:

nandos-logo.jpg

As for the rest of the possible Portuguese influences, I'm prepared to be disappointed by the lack of Pokemon based on:

Pastel de nata:
20200123161347-reQkxvU6.jpg

Cod fish:
1200px-Gadus_morhua_Cod-2b-Atlanterhavsparken-Norway.JPG

Sardine:

Seikca

Feb 21, 2022
I'll be upset if you can't find a legendary Pokémon in a place based on Finisterre ("World End"), which also happens to be the final pilgrimage destination for the Way of St. James. And also, the whole coast Fisterre is on is called Costa da Morte ("Death Coast").

But yeah... i don't really have any expectations for it after seeing the trailer. I guess it'll be toros, paella and olé, olé again.... because suuuure there's nothing else in Spain...

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'll be upset if you can't find a legendary Pokémon in a place based on Finisterre ("World End"), which also happens to be the final pilgrimage destination for the Way of St. James. And also, the whole coast Fisterre is on is called Costa da Morte ("Death Coast").

But yeah... i don't really have any expectations for it after seeing the trailer. I guess it'll be toros, paella and olé, olé again.... because suuuure there's nothing else in Spain...
I don't think it will just be toros,paella and olé

Seikca

Feb 21, 2022
I don't think it will just be toros,paella and olé
I don't really have my hopes up, so i'll just wait for Nintendo to prove me wrong. Unless i see something that doesn't scream "south", i'll keep my scepticism.

That said, Spain has a lot of cultural diversity that can be challenging to represent, maybe. On top of that, the region also has to be based on Portugal too! As a Spaniard I'm interested, but also scared of what can come out of this, lol.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What about a Curro Jiménez character/pokemon

Curro_Jim_nez_Serie_de_TV-461205311-large.jpg

Glorious

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I really hope they up their game when it comes to legendaries. The SWSH ones were pretty mediocre (even if they're fine in isolation).

destaca-espiritual.jpg

I riot.
That'd be cool.

Covadonga is one of my favourite places in Spain and Asturias my favourite region. Really miss going there, it's been ages.
Look at that cat. You know in your heart that it is getting up on two legs and turning sexy.
Nah huh, Fuecoco's last evo will be the furrybait this time around, just you wait.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they up their game when it comes to legendaries. The SWSH ones were pretty mediocre (even if they're fine in isolation).

That'd be cool.

Covadonga is one of my favourite places in Spain and Asturias my favourite region. Really miss going there, it's been ages.

Nah huh, Fuecoco's last evo will be the furrybait this time around, just you wait.
It is also the supposed "birth place" of the nation if we go by mythological bs with the "Reconquista". So it fits having something like that similar to having an Arthurian tale in Galar.