• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
When the Direct happened and BOTW2 wasn't shown, everyone assumed that means that it wouldn't be releasing this year, a March 2022 title for BOTW2 seemed likely and BOTW proved that Zelda doesn't need a Holiday release to sell, however with Pokemon Legends Arceus being announced today and the fact that it is a open-world Pokemon game that is releasing early 2022, I don't see Nintendo releasing both BOTW2 and PLA around the same time.

The Pokemon announcement makes me think that BOTW2 will release this year, I 100% believe that the next 3D Mario will be the Holiday 2022 title so I don't see it being that far away.

If the Switch Pro is real and it does release this Holiday, then I think BOTW2 will also release in November.

What do you think?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Though I personally would be sad if it missed this year, 2022 with Splatoon 3, Legends Arceus, and BotW2 would be wicked.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Depends on when BD/SP drop. If said remakes are October, then I'll say November 2021. If the remakes are November, then maybe Spring 2022 for BotW2.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Whenever the Super Switch launches and the game will straddle generations like the first game

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I dont even know with NIntendo anymore, I mean, I never did.. but these times are harder to predict than ever.

As a non pokemon Nintendo fan this fiscal years scares the hell out of me :P

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am still under the belief BotW 2 will release November and Pokemon will get October. I was hesitant to say Pokemon in October but since GF released SW/SH DLC last year in October, I think they're cool with it not being the main holiday title.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
Honestly went into today thinking the remakes would be the big holiday title of 2021, but looking at them created doubt. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but I want to see it this year and I think it's reasonable to believe it might be.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking Holiday 2022.

I also don't know if Nintendo planned these two games around each other. I feel like BotW2 is more a situation where they release it whenever it's ready.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Honestly went into today thinking the remakes would be the big holiday title of 2021, but looking at them created doubt. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but I want to see it this year and I think it's reasonable to believe it might be.

Also this, definitely this. BDSP are not the huge holiday titles I expected so I could see something else if not BotW 2 being dropped this Holiday.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Zelda team is beholden to release dates of other games.

BOTW 2 will release when it is ready. The fact we never got a trailer probably points to the game being not as far a long as we all hope.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Nintendo would probably want to bet on Zelda than GameFreak for system launch. It's possible Pokemon gets delayed even further and Zelda gets delayed until Early 2022.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Late 2022 Christmas time like Skyward Sword, more than 5 years since the original. Nintendo released Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 a couple months next to each other, so it might release near another blockbuster, I wouldn't put it them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When the Direct happened and BOTW2 wasn't shown, everyone assumed that means that it wouldn't be releasing this year, a March 2022 title for BOTW2 seemed likely and BOTW proved that Zelda doesn't need a Holiday release to sell, however with Pokemon Legends Arceus being announced today and the fact that it is a open-world Pokemon game that is releasing early 2022, I don't see Nintendo releasing both BOTW2 and PLA around the same time.

The Pokemon announcement makes me think that BOTW2 will release this year, I 100% believe that the next 3D Mario will be the Holiday 2022 title so I don't see it being that far away.

If the Switch Pro is real and it does release this Holiday, then I think BOTW2 will also release in November.

What do you think?
tenor.gif

We NEEDED this topic. I mentioned this in the Nintendo General thread, but my rationale is pretty much the same as yours. I don't think Nintendo wants BotW2 and Legends to go head to head. This makes November/December 2021 seem more reasonable to me. Whether it's Mario or not, I can't see BotW being held back to holiday 2022, so late 2021 seems like a fair conclusion.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

BOTW 2 will release when it is ready. The fact we never got a trailer probably points to the game being not as far a long as we all hope.
Correct in the first part, but I disagree that is not getting a trailer means the game isn't as far along. Breath of the Wild got it's first big blowout just nine months before release, and they really had to showcase it to sell people on the style of the game. Breath of the Wild 2 doesn't need to do anywhere near as much to sell the game to people, so we could easily see it any time in the next three months and still have it release this year.

EDIT: Not that I am saying it will come this year, I just think the fact that we haven't seen it again yet doesn't tell us anything about when it will release.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Because people forget that Nintendo doesn't need to show games years before they release.

But... They already did. They showed a damn story trailer back in 2019. They didn't show a story trailet for BotW until 2 months before launch.

This is what I don't get. Them not showing it again in February of this year means nothing in regards to whether it will release this year. We've already seen way more of it than we saw of BotW before E3 2016.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand the point of this thread. The development trajectory of BOTW2 has absolutely nothing to do with PL:A.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them to release BOTW and Pokemon as far away as possible, even if it is only a few months. So if BOTW isn't ready for holiday 2021 I could see TPC delay Pokémon further in 2022. There is no way that that those games would both be released in early 2022.

Last edited:

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I still believe that it will release holiday 2021. It's the only game Nintendo need for 2021 to be another blockbuster year for them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Correct in the first part, but I disagree that is not getting a trailer means the game isn't as far along. Breath of the Wild got it's first big blowout just nine months before release, and they really had to showcase it to sell people on the style of the game. Breath of the Wild 2 doesn't need to do anywhere near as much to sell the game to people, so we could easily see it any time in the next three months and still have it release this year.

EDIT: Not that I am saying it will come this year, I just think the fact that we haven't seen it again yet doesn't tell us anything about when it will release.
This I also agree with. It's like people forget Smash didn't reveal actual gameplay until just six months before launch.

Oct 26, 2017
The release timing absolutely does though. They are not going to put these two games out in close proximity to each other.

The problem is we don't even know how far both projects are (we've only had one trailer for BOTW2, and that didn't include gameplay), plus there are always the odds of delays happening.

Hence why I don't understand why people are trying to force a comparison that isn't there.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
This I also agree with. It's like people forget Smash didn't reveal actual gameplay until just six months before launch.
Yup, I mean I would be pretty surprised if they showed Breath of the Wild 2 again and it was more than a year out from release. Most likely 4-9 months would be my prediction. The next time it's shown off it may very well be shown with a release date.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who follows the Nintendo General Discussion thread knows my thoughts on this.

November 2022. I'd love to be wrong, but I can't see it releasing this year, and I can't see it releasing in a 1H with both open-world Pokémon and Splatoon 3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is we don't even know how far both projects are (we've only had one trailer for BOTW2, and that didn't include gameplay), plus there are always the odds of delays happening.

Hence why I don't understand why people are trying to force a comparison that isn't there.

But that has nothing to do with what we're saying... Nobody is talking about comparing their development schedules, we're talking about the fact that if Legends is launching next Q1 then BotW2 won't be. Nothing more than that.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Spring 2022.

Kind of wild that the game supposedly built off BotW (ala Majora's Mask) probablygonna release 5 years after it. There's no way they haven't completely overhauled the map, right?

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I think it still hits fall 2021, personally. I could even see Nintendo going "all hands on deck" to make it happen.

But I also imagine that Nintendo is always willing to give Zelda the time it needs, and will delay it if it means a better game in the end.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Imagine if they come out within a similar time frame.

The comparisons will be brutal against Pokemon.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Can people just pretend BOTW 2 doesn't exist for now
Someone in the other thread was saying that if it wasn't 2021, Nintendo would have apologized for delaying it in the recent Direct and explained they just needed a little more time. I reminded this person that Nintendo has never said BotW2 was a 2021 title.

We have a title and logo and release quarter for Pokémon Legends. We have a title and logo and release year for Splatoon 3. We have none of that for BotW2, just a trailer stating that it's "in development," and yet it's the one people are assuming is coming first. I think that's interesting.

Nintendo does surprise us sometimes (I mean, did any of us expect two radically different Sinnoh games?). Maybe they'll surprise us this time, and reveal BotW2 at "E3" for a release five months later. I'd love for that to be the case! But I'm not expecting it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
But that has nothing to do with what we're saying... Nobody is talking about comparing their development schedules, we're talking about the fact that if Legends is launching next Q1 then BotW2 won't be. Nothing more than that.
I get your reasoning, but I wouldn't try to apply certainty to statements like this. I get why they wouldn't want them together, but both will sell gangbusters and be evergreens anyway. It's not set in stone that they will release them super far apart. I don't see why one couldn't be February and the other April and Splatoon 3 June/July or something. It'd just be the dream year we've been waiting for lol

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

It's not that Nintendo would move Zelda around Pokemon, but the opposite; if they had to delay Zelda, I'm sure GF wouldn't mind some extra time, and there'd have been no reason to commit to Q1 2021 (the Japanese wording was more specific than "early"). Essentially deadlining that game for March seems to indicate that have a pretty good idea of their schedule for the next year.
I don't see why that should be surprising, to be honest. I mean, how long was BotW in development? And that was without covid.

We all have this idea that BotW2 is supposed to be a quick sequel because it's set in the same world or whatever, but that's really an assumption we've made, isn't it? Maybe that's what Nintendo originally planned it as, but I think they wisely realized that it's freaking Breath of the Wild 2 and a quick follow-up wouldn't cut it. Scope creep is nothing new to the Zelda series. I can easily envision a scenario where it was originally planned to be a 2020 title, but it got more ambitious and became a 2021 title, and then covid happened and it became a 2022 title.

It seems like the next God of War game is going to take just about as much time to develop as the 2018 "reboot" of the series. You'd think that it would be faster, since it's building on what is already there, but that's not always the case. Especially in a pandemic.
BotW is a unique case where they built a game-specific engine that was confirmed to take multiple years of development alone. Even if they were "just" making a brand new open world in a similar formula, I would not have expected it to take as long as BotW.

I know no gameplay is a sign things aren't far along for most companies, but that's not how it usually works for Nintendo - at least, not when we get an in-engine cutscene presumably directly from the game. Those are usually pretty far down the list in the order Nintendo develops things.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they aren't beholden, but they're not going to cannibalize their games. that's just bad practice

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I get your reasoning, but I wouldn't try to apply certainty to statements like this. I get why they wouldn't want them together, but both will sell gangbusters and be evergreens anyway. It's not set in stone that they will release them super far apart. I don't see why one couldn't be February and the other April and Splatoon 3 June/July or something. It'd just be the dream year we've been waiting for lol

Of course nothing is set in stone but from observing how Nintendo spaces out certain games from each other it seems quite obvious that they will want these games out at different times of the year.

Especially when you consider that the trailer for Legends heavily invoked some BotW energy (what with the soft piano tones and some of the sweeping world camera shots). They won't want this game out close to the one it's trying to share an audience with.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Until we get an announcement of some other Big Holiday Game for 2021 (Diamond and Pearl are big but not *THE* big holiday game IMO), I'm assuming that BOTW is currently being planned as the holiday 2021 game. That being said, Zelda delays are a fact of life, and even if BOTW for this holiday is the current plan, there's probably at least 50/50 odds it does end up getting delayed into 22, regardless of what else is gonna be coming out then.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm surprised so many people think Aunoma and his Zelda team would strategize the release around Pokemon games. The most they'll do is push one of them a month or two as not to release them at the same exact time.

My bet is BOTW2 has a target for first half of 2022, and will launch around the time of Switch Pro. There is no reason to think both Pokemon Legends Arceus and BOTW2 can't release in the same 6 months window.

My overall prediction:

2nd half 2021 - Pokemon remakes, Super Mario Party 2, 2D Metroid, and something we can't predict (Ring Fit 2)
1st half 2022 - Pokemon Legend Arceus, Splatoon 3, BOTW2, Switch Pro