• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I just got a 2020 Subaru Legacy back in March 2020, but I've been considering it. Certainly doesn't help that I live in WV. I only know of one recharge station and AWD is a must.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Can't wait for the era of affordable sub 20.000 EV/hybrids with a plethora of vehicles to chose from that come in all shapes and sizes.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Don't even have a car and I live in the suburbs (of a notable city, but still). I just take the bus on the off chance I leave the house.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I recently upgraded to a hybrid, it's got a solar roof which feels gimicky but I guess every bit of power generation helps. I quite like it, but anything would have been a major upgrade from my bottom tier, no extras, 20 year old car. I would have loved to do a full electric but the range isn't there for me (don't tell me "it's fine" I regularly drive 500ish miles in a day several times a month) and would have even rather done a plug-in-hybrid but apparently no one sells those in middle America.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
All my cars have been family hand me downs, the newest one being recent (as in me getting it, it's an old car), but hopefully I can afford one when I eventually need to buy a car on my own. I don't drive much so the price increase only really impacts me the once every two or so months I fill up.

Aug 7, 2020
Not really - EVs are massive hits on the environment during production due to their higher tech issues (battery) and you are just moving the cost problem from the gas pump to the electrical socket. If I did decide to do it, I'd first invest in solar power and giant battery at home as thats step 1 of reducing power consumption and environmental impact, then it truly becomes more viable to charge the car in a local loop.

Buying a new car is a huge hit on everything from hit on your wallet (annual fees, immediately depreciating costs), environment, waste, etc etc and rarely is "spend more money!" an answer to a problem.

My simpler answer over the last few years has just been drive a lot less, in the last 2 years we drive around 2000 miles a year and try to walk or take the bus a LOT more. 8/10 of my grocery store trips are on my 2 feet, I go daily and just come back with a small bag instead of weekly massive trips. Gas going up $3-4 isn't a huge problem if you only drive 60-70 gallons a year.
Bullshit , excuse because you can't afford electric car . Tired sick of the goddamn monopoly oil and as have on the economy .

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I already have a hybrid. I lucked out. My lease for my 2019 Focus wasn't up until like right now, but my dad and I just randomly decided to go to the dealership in November to see what my options were gonna be in 5 months. But because of the chip shortage, there was no guarantee that when March came there'd even be any vehicles to replace it with, so he showed me a new hybrid Ford Escape, which aside from a bunch of F-150s, were the only cars left on the lot to buy. And the day I was there, other people were coming in and snatching them up too. So I drove home in a brand new, lovely blue, Escape with all the features I wanted since I got my 2016 Focus 6 years before that I didn't have or even know about. All the bells and whistles like CarPlay, cruise control with automatic speed setting and steering assist (It steers and drives itself pretty much), a moon roof, heated seats and steering wheel which would really have come in handy when I still lived in PA especially after these last few winters. I actually own this one rather than lease this time.

I've been keeping a record of my tank fill-ups. I wait until I'm down to like 15-20 miles left and fill it up completely. I don't have to put gas in my tank for 3 whole weeks. Even with all my driving. And like a quarter of my mileage is electric. I get like 450-500 miles to a tank.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually delaying my purchase which i wanted to do this year, as all the EVs are starting to have hefty markups.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Invested into a photovoltaic system last year and installed a charging station in my garage.
So yes, I plan on getting an EV. Probably not this year though. House modernisations have priority.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
My partner and I decided that we would own less cars and buy a single EV instead of having two and that if we need transportation at the same time, one of the two will just use public transportation.

So far no regrets.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying a Subaru in a week or two because we need a car and can't be borrowing my step mom's Corolla forever. I weighed going an EV or Hybrid and decided it didn't make a lot of sense as someone who lives in the north east.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Eh. I'm strongly thinking about accelerating my timeline but I really don't like owning brand-new cars and the used car market for EVs is still pretty rough. Also, my next car likely will be some sort of small SUV due to the use cases my wife and I have agreed on, so that makes this an even more costly proposition.

So, honestly, I'm not sure what we're going to do next.

Jul 1, 2020
The tech is moving pretty fast especially when it comes to range in EVs made by companies that aren't Tesla. I may look into the Electric Mini once they make one for real instead of stuffing overstock BMW i3 parts into a Mini chassis to fudge their emissions.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We're not going to be in the market for a new car for quite a while, but here's my issue; We're in a condo where we would not be able to charge our vehicle or set up a charging station. How do people in condo's/apartments charge their EV's? Like I'm reading online it can take up to 8 hours to charge, so those charging stations I see around town aren't really feasible for most people right? If I had an EV how would I go about charging it?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get a 2013 Prius C with like 60k miles for 10k even out the door back in 2018. It's been the best car purchase I've ever made. Absolute godsend when it comes to saving on gas.

I really really want a Tesla but I want to buy a house with my GF in the near future and I can't afford both. Both of our cars are paid off, too, so it just doesn't make much sense.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Being that i have to lease a car this upcoming august, i've added a few to check out.

Worst comes to worst, ill get a vehicle with great fuel economy to ease the pain of having to pay for gas. Im thankful to be WFH though.

I dont even drive yet and gas prices scare me.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's a terrible time to buy any cars right now and the demand for the EVs is nuts now, and they just already cost a big penny more.

I would love one but they are way to much of a pain to get at the moment

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Lease is about to end in a few months and have been considering switching to ev very seriously(I was planning to buy out the remaining term on my gas car), but it would be a phenomenal additional expense I'm not sure I'm willing to take on.

Ugh

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Not until I can get one with an (achievable) range of 400+ miles. Most of my journeys are that length, or like, 5 miles. Charging infrastructure really isn't good enough where I am to rely on it.

Not too concerned about the fuel costs as even at current prices I'm only really looking at ~$1800 for a year worth of driving. Extra cost of a new electric car would mean quite some time to break even there.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Honda Insight in January which is a hybrid. Well timed purchase even if I had to pay a bit over market value with some accessories I didn't really need. Not a plug in, but does get about 50-52mpg. Would have been nice if I had even 5-10 miles of range for the grocery store trips. All in all, it's nice to only have to fill up every few weeks and it's 'only' 9 gallons worth to fill up.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Cheapest EVs here are 2013-2015 Nissan leafs and they cost US 10k + and those have a 100 km range. Once we get EVs for around 10k with 500km + range I'll think on getting one.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
No for a number of reasons.

First being, I just bought a new car less than 2 years ago, second I don't drive enough to feel the sting of paying an extra 10-15 dollars per fill up (We are talking like once a month) and thirdly the market is fucking terrible right now, I can sell my car for 3k more than I bought it for, but i'm also going to be charged a premium on the new car i buy, so what's the point? I don't drive enough to feel like the hit to my wallet is worth the environmental benefits i wouldn't be maximizing due to how frequently i drive.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Working from home cuts my driving by 8500 miles per year. With how little I drive now, a BEV wouldn't save money. Better to wait for prices to fall with newer tech. My next car probably be ICE or PHEV, and should last another 10 years before I jump to BEV.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Honda Insight in January which is a hybrid. Well timed purchase even if I had to pay a bit over market value with some accessories I didn't really need. Not a plug in, but does get about 50-52mpg. Would have been nice if I had even 5-10 miles of range for the grocery store trips. All in all, it's nice to only have to fill up every few weeks and it's 'only' 9 gallons worth to fill up.
What are your overall thoughts on the Insight? The lease on my Honda Civic is up next year.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not planning on buying anything for at least a couple years, but when I do it will be electric. Before that we're planning on getting solar panels installed, so when I do pick up a new vehicle we'll be able to charge it with them.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I wish I could afford to go out and buy an electric vehicle, but as of now, it only costs me about $12-15 more to fill up my Honda CRV than it did a year ago. It's annoying and obviously going to get higher, but my car gets good gas mileage and I bought it a couple years ago it before prices went crazy. It would be silly for me to go buy an EV I can't really afford just because my gas costs have gone up some.

I used to drive a pickup that would be costing me around $100 to fill up right now. I'm so glad I got rid of that thing when I did.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
How long have you had your C8 and has it appreciated much?

December of 2020. I had a deposit down since the launch and got it for MSRP which in hindsight was very fortunate. It's worth about 85 now whereas sticker was 75. Not crazy but feels good to make money on what's supposed to be a rapidly depreciating asset. But "make money" means something else in 2022 because every other asset is immediately higher priced. Made 10k on C8 but Tesla is 10k more so what does it matter.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
We have an Toyota RAV4 hybrid (2018) that is great and certainly gets better gas mileage than our previous vehicles, but I think the next one we get will be an EV for about 70% of what we do, and keep the RAV for the other 30% like camping or other traveling where charging isn't easy.

The EV won't be a Tesla though.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
As long as my 2012 Fit lasts another 3-4 years my next car will be at the very least a plug-in hybrid, but preferably full electric. I'm getting an average of 28-30mpg so I'm in no rush.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't drive very much, so generally I don't have to pay for gas too often. But the last few months I have been eyeing EV's and Hybrids more, but I don't know if I can bite the price bullet for them just yet.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
What are your overall thoughts on the Insight? The lease on my Honda Civic is up next year.

Overall I quite like it, my understanding is that the Prius is slightly better in terms of fuel efficiency but I like that the Insight has a more traditional sedan design and I even find it preferable to the current Civic designs because of the tail lights. The price is pretty affordable and the EX trim comes with a lot of nice features, the main things I'm missing are no wireless Apple Carplay and no power seating.

From a fuel economy perspective, it's still winter-ish weather here in the DC region but I was averaging about 45-47 mpg during the coldest weeks, and I'm getting about 53-55 right now as weather gets milder. Weather plays a big role in terms of your efficiency, as heat and a/c will eat into it. I've heard that during the summer people can get 60mpg with appropriate driving and I wouldn't doubt it, I've had some drives come in that range with battery power to spare. The drive is smooth, but going above 65-70mph will also eat into efficiency, as the car does better in stop/go traffic as opposed to the highway. Your tolerance of the engine noise will vary especially when you really need to accelerate. Otherwise, below 55mph, it's really quiet.

I heard rumors they might discontinue the Insight after this year and pivot more towards a Civic Hybrid, which is more or less what this Insight is. But that Civic Hybrid would have a hatchback which I personally don't care for. The Insight never really took off but I feel like it's because Honda did a really poor job of marketing it. If they just called it the Civic Hybrid, it would have probably done very well. Reading around other people's impressions, people who own it seem to generally be happy with it, with the exception of those who are a bit more aggressive with the pedal, because the Insight is pretty sensitive to those things.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I quite like it, my understanding is that the Prius is slightly better in terms of fuel efficiency but I like that the Insight has a more traditional sedan design and I even find it preferable to the current Civic designs because of the tail lights. The price is pretty affordable and the EX trim comes with a lot of nice features, the main things I'm missing are no wireless Apple Carplay and no power seating.

From a fuel economy perspective, it's still winter-ish weather here in the DC region but I was averaging about 45-47 mpg during the coldest weeks, and I'm getting about 53-55 right now as weather gets milder. Weather plays a big role in terms of your efficiency, as heat and a/c will eat into it. I've heard that during the summer people can get 60mpg with appropriate driving and I wouldn't doubt it, I've had some drives come in that range with battery power to spare. The drive is smooth, but going above 65-70mph will also eat into efficiency, as the car does better in stop/go traffic as opposed to the highway. Your tolerance of the engine noise will vary especially when you really need to accelerate. Otherwise, below 55mph, it's really quiet.

I heard rumors they might discontinue the Insight after this year and pivot more towards a Civic Hybrid, which is more or less what this Insight is. But that Civic Hybrid would have a hatchback which I personally don't care for. The Insight never really took off but I feel like it's because Honda did a really poor job of marketing it. If they just called it the Civic Hybrid, it would have probably done very well. Reading around other people's impressions, people who own it seem to generally be happy with it, with the exception of those who are a bit more aggressive with the pedal, because the Insight is pretty sensitive to those things.
I'm getting like low 30s mpg in Michigan right now. Agreed that they should have just called it the Civic Hybrid. I initially overlooked the Insight because I had never heard of it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have a 2008 Prius. I pay something like 80p in tax and the fuel economy isn't bad, especially when traveling under 35mph only uses the battery. It's not bad for a 14 year old car!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm getting like low 30s mpg in Michigan right now. Agreed that they should have just called it the Civic Hybrid. I initially overlooked the Insight because I had never heard of it.

Kinda surprised you've never heard of it. The Insight is one of the OG hybrid cars on the market alongside the Prius. Of course it was never as popular as the Prius which might explain why.

Just wondering but do you just not like hatchbacks in general, or just not like the design of the Prius or previous generation Insight. IMO I think the new Civic hatchback looks really good. I think a Civic hybrid based on that would do really well, because it looks fairly normal unlike the Prius. But of course I'm a big fan of hatchbacks and wagons due to the extra storage space. I don't like trunks and how they're sealed off from the rest of the car.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've always been planning to but thankfully I'll be WFH for the foreseeable future, so the switch isn't too urgent. My car is about to hit 10 (2014 mazda3) and while I'll keep it for a few more years my next one will definitely be electric.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I want the new Kia EV6, but so far they haven't even announced availability in my country and Teslas are so prohibitely expensive that I shall be waiting for a good while.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Our primary vehicle is already electric. Our secondary vehicle I bought because of fuel efficiency. I've essentially planned every vehicle purchase since the last $4 a gallon gas, as if it would get that high or higher again.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to start leasing a Hyundai Kona EV which I'm quite excited about.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My current car is a 2018 VW Jetta and my wife's car is a 2017 Ford Focus.

Even with gas prices being higher, we're still relatively cheap when it comes to gas (plus we don't really drive anywhere long distance).

With that said, when we look into replacing her car (it got totaled out in a massive hail storm a few years ago), we're going to look at an EV. I'm looking at getting something like the new Ford Maverick and keeping my Jetta.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
You can't realistically save money by switching to an ev. If you buy an ev when you would otherwise need to buy a car, then sure, there is the possibility. But getting rid of a perfectly functioning ICE car to drop five figures on a new ev to save money on gas seems self defeating. If you want to dump ICE for ev it has to be for other reasons.

For me, I have a 2010 fusion (which is paid for), non hybrid. I won't save money by spending $50,000 on a new ev. I won't save the environment either, because I'll never pay off the impact of the factory making the ev vs my already existing car burning gas (at least not in the amount I drive it). The best thing I can do for my wallet and the environment is drive my car till it dont drive no more, then (if feasible) replace it with an ev.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017

I was in the same position. I was familiar with the Insight way back and then it totally fell off my radar. As I began looking for new cars I saw this and noted several experiences similar to us. A lot of people just didn't know this vehicle was out there.

Kinda surprised you've never heard of it. The Insight is one of the OG hybrid cars on the market alongside the Prius. Of course it was never as popular as the Prius which might explain why.

Just wondering but do you just not like hatchbacks in general, or just not like the design of the Prius or previous generation Insight. IMO I think the new Civic hatchback looks really good. I think a Civic hybrid based on that would do really well, because it looks fairly normal unlike the Prius. But of course I'm a big fan of hatchbacks and wagons due to the extra storage space. I don't like trunks and how they're sealed off from the rest of the car.

I don't like hatchbacks in general, but that's totally just me. My understanding is that the Civic Hybrid being rumored/tested out would be based on the current Civic hatchback design.

electricvehicleweb.com

Honda Civic Hybrid confirmed; could replace the Insight in 2022

An all-new Honda Civic Hybrid is likely to be the brand's next compact hybrid car competing with Toyota's Prius.