• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Sony has done this before with games like The Last of Us releasing for PS3 in the same year the PS4 came out, or God of War 2 releasing on PS2 well into 2007. Nintendo has the opposite history, putting games on succesor systems because they arrive too late in the systems life cycle.

Now we're talking!

Completely agree with what you just said. Do you know what's a big game arriving very late into the Switch lifecycle that might be transformed into a cross-gen game to kickstart the successor into gear? The sequel to Breath of the Wild.

Much like Breath of the Wild, and Twilight Princess before, it just makes business sense to package this with a new console. Early adopters love Zelda.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This isn't a new revelation, everyone noticed this as far back as their Spring 2021 direct with Splat 3, Triangle Strategy and also a Pokemon game landing.
With SWITCH OLED, a new hardware dropping midyear next year is too soon, I think it's just the last big send-off for Switch with new hardware announced late 2022 and arriving early 2023 most likely.

There being no Super Mario Odyssey 2 in the 2022 lineup is telling. That or a brand new Mario game is probably being held back as a launch title for the next Switch.

That said H1 2022 is packed. We don't even know what they have planned for this H2 2022. Some more optimistic people think that's when the new hardware is launching. And it's still quite possible given how they lined up their release. Unlike Sony's presentation almost everything announced today is coming in the next 6-9 months, before June.

I wouldn't pay attention to the Mario situation. The only recent Nintendo system to launch with Mario was the Wii U. He wasn't there for the GCN, Wii, or Switch (or 3DS). That doesn't mean there won't be a Mario launch game for the next system, but I don't think Nintendo really plans the series like that anymore.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
No, the releases are clustered cause of COVID delays.
You should be seeing the same from Sony & MS first party next year as well.
I'm willing to bet many of those games were initially planned for 2021 (maybe even late 2020) before COVID hit
Came here to say this. It's just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, I feel like Switch is the thing for a while. They don't want to make another Wii U mistep, so they can take there time and make a more powerful Switch Pro till another magical console idea happens.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think Switch 2 is early 2023 but I don't think the 2022 cluster of games is strong evidence of this. Nintendo just doesn't announce stuff that far in advance anymore. I mostly just think it's coming because the hardware is starting to age a bit and Nintendo historically doesn't go very long without releasing some kind of new hardware. A 2023 Switch 2 with heavy emphasis on cross-gen games that are improved via BC makes sense to me.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Nintendo prez said in the last year that it was only halfway through its life so I think even an announcement isn't until 2023.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
There's zero chance they're phasing out a console that's selling this well. It'll be a significant upgrade or nothing at all.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Yeah, Wii, Wii U, and 3DS feel like they got almost nothing when Nintendo allocated resources away for the new hotness. Unless something's changed, the Switch still has 2-3+ years. Why put Splatoon 3 on Switch if there's going to be a new system a year later?

Agree, would be silly to put Splatoon 3 on the Switch if the Switch 2 were launching soon after. Which is why they are holding back on Splatoon 3 (and Mario Kart, and 3D Mario) to coincide with the launch of the Switch 2, in late 2022.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Rushing out a new system, especially with Covid delays, would be a monumentally godawful business decision. And especially since the Switch is still doing great.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Base Switch is starting to show its age. Hopefully there's a Pro next year. If no Pro is in the cards, then yeah, I'd hope for a Spring 2023 system, but Fall 2023 or Spring 2024 might be more realistic. Fall 2024 would be agony.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Now we're talking!

Completely agree with what you just said. Do you know what's a big game arriving very late into the Switch lifecycle that might be transformed into a cross-gen game to kickstart the successor into gear? The sequel to Breath of the Wild.

Much like Breath of the Wild, and Twilight Princess before, it just makes business sense to package this with a new console. Early adopters love Zelda.
Nope, not happening. Unless you count an eventual Pro as a succesor system(which I don't).

Whilst Zelda has been an important driver of sales in most parts of the world, Nintendo has several other big titles lined up for 2022 that anybody else would have expected to only hit a succesor system. Splatoon 3, Kirby, Bayonetta 3, etc. would all come way too much in handy to drive hardware sales after Zelda. The fact that they're releasing for the Switch mean no succesor in 2022.

EDIT: just saw you expect Splatoon 3 in late 2022. Not happening either. Summer 2022. Mark my words.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Really hope so since I don't play my Switch since February, but I think it will release in late 2023 in all honesty

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm pretty sure the Dane Switch is not coming out next year, probably 2023

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
New model? Sure. Toss out the Switch and start over with a new system? No way. But 2022 seems like a good time for a proper hardware refresh, OG Switch is starting to show it's age..

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You got it wrong, OP. Nintendo usually delays games to the new system when they are coming, so the last year of every nintendo system usually is barren except for a swan song or cross-platform darling.

MatheusSiadeF

Oct 29, 2020
The switch hasn't seen a single price drop in the US so far. They've got a new model,more expensive than switch's launch model, coming out in a few weeks. They won't kill the platform's momentum by releasing a successor next year and I doubt it will be released in 2023

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Nope, not happening. Unless you count an eventual Pro as a succesor system(which I don't).

Whilst Zelda has been an important driver of sales in most parts of the world, Nintendo has several other big titles lined up for 2022 that anybody else would have expected to only hit a succesor system. Splatoon 3, Kirby, Bayonetta 3, etc. would all come way too much in handy to drive hardware sales after Zelda. The fact that they're releasing for the Switch mean no succesor in 2022.

Kirby and Bayonetta are whatever, it's the kind of stuff Nintendo would put out at the end of a console cycle. Platinum released Star Fox Zero less than a year before the Switch. Bayonetta also sells like 1 million copies? It's not going to "drive hardware sales" hahaha Platinum could barely stay afloat for almost a decade. The original Kirby launched for the NES in 1992! (Edit: just looked this up and it was the second Kirby game launching for the NES in 1993) Launching a Kirby game is almost an official statement that the console lifecycle is coming to an end

Now, as for Splatoon 3... guess what? Yeah, Switch 2 launch title.

You say "the fact that Splatoon 3 is releasing for the Switch in 2022 means there's no successor", but I think that the fact Splatoon 3 is releasing in 2022 means the Switch 2 is also coming out next year, because this is an online game that's going to get updates for years, and it would be bad business to spend it on the Switch 1 and have nothing to show when the Switch 2 comes around.

The Switch being a success means Nintendo don't have to release their big hitters (10 million plus sellers) to keep it going, they can't just sit back and enjoy the constant stream of cash. The Switch 2 on the other hand could very well be less successful, so they have kept their powder dry for the past 3 years and released almost nothing because they are saving up all their big games to make sure the second Switch is just as successful as the first.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't pay attention to the Mario situation. The only recent Nintendo system to launch with Mario was the Wii U. He wasn't there for the GCN, Wii, or Switch (or 3DS). That doesn't mean there won't be a Mario launch game for the next system, but I don't think Nintendo really plans the series like that anymore.

I don't think they want to make the mistake launching without a big game people want again. They made that mistake twice with GC and Wii U.

Switch 2 may launch with Mario if BOTW 2 arrives too early and isn't cross gen. But a lot of people also think BOTW 2 is going to end up being a cross gen Switch / Switch 2 game

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Kirby and Bayonetta are whatever, it's the kind of stuff Nintendo would put out at the end of a console cycle. Platinum released Star Fox Zero less than a year before the Switch. Bayonetta also sells like 1 million copies? It's not going to "drive hardware sales" hahaha Platinum could barely stay afloat for almost a decade. The original Kirby launched for the NES in 1992! Launching a Kirby game is almost an official statement that the console lifecycle is coming to an end

Now, as for Splatoon 3... guess what? Yeah, Switch 2 launch title.

You say "the fact that Splatoon 3 is releasing for the Switch in 2022 means there's no successor", but I think that the fact Splatoon 3 is releasing in 2022 means the Switch 2 is also coming out next year, because this is an online game that's going to get updates for years, and it would be bad business to spend it on the Switch 1 and have nothing to show when the Switch 2 comes around.

The Switch being a success means Nintendo don't have to release their big hitters (10 million plus sellers) to keep it going, they can't just sit back and enjoy the constant stream of cash. The Switch 2 on the other hand could very well be less successful, so they have kept their powder dry for the past 3 years and released almost nothing because they are saving up all their big games to make sure the second Switch is just as successful as the first.
Bayo 3 and Kirby are games that add to the line-up, we've seen Nintendo move around similar games before. They are at the very least games that sell on par with Xenoblade so hahaha me all you want, doesn't make it less true.

Starfox Zero was one of the last titles Nintendo put into production for the Wii U and not nearly on the same level as Bayo and Kirby in terms of production. Zero was an incredibly scaled down game compared to Bayo 3 and the first 3D Kirby game. Those are not just whatever.

For Splatoon 3 to be a Switch succesor launch title it would have to release late in 2022 or the succesor would have to launch mid 2022. Neither of those are happening.

EDIT:
There will definitely be other hardware, but I bet the original Switch will continue to be supported and likely even sold into 2024.
This is what I see for 2022. No succesor, but a mid-gen upgrade. Thugstas will be redeemed I tell you all!

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Think it's more of an indication that adjusting to the pandemic pushed a few games back into 2022

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No. It's not even a lot of releases considering the number of teams/studios. Also when they finally have one platform it should feel packed a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
No. I can see Nintendo stretching the Switch for 2 more years still. I mean, they can still pull out a Mario Kart 9, Pikmin 4, another Fire Emblem game, maybe a Mario Odyssey 2 and we're still waiting on Metroid Prime 4. Perhaps a Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario Land game, too?

I mean, they pushed Splatoon 3 on Switch, which was completely unexpected, imo. Wouldn't be surprised if they released a new Pokémon. We did get 2 series of mainline Pokémon games on the 3DS.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nope.

Splatoon 3 will probably get a full year of content updates. Switch 2 is still really far out

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ...

This can literally be answered with: "2020 and 2021 pandemic caused some shifting of projects around, so that's why 2022 has a ton of major titles."

There was nothing logical that says a successor is within the cards. Otherwise, releasing the Switch OLED sounds even dumber.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
The mental gymnastics some people go through to project meaning onto everything…

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The hopeium/copeium for a switch pro/2 is crazy. The earliest we see a switch successor is 2023, more likely 2024. Even if the plan was for it to be 2022 (doubtful) covid likely pushed it back, like how many of these games were pushed back hence the weird clumping of releases.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Probably not, I'm more in the Switch OLED was supposed to be the pro camp. So if that was the case the actually Switch 2 all still be a few years out.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo releases a new console typically every 5 to 6 years unless it's a failure like the Wii U. So I could see a new Switch in 2023. I don't think we will see a "Switch Pro." The OLED Switch is the Pro for better or worse.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't think they want to make the mistake launching without a big game people want again. They made that mistake twice with GC and Wii U.

Switch 2 may launch with Mario if BOTW 2 arrives too early and isn't cross gen. But a lot of people also think BOTW 2 is going to end up being a cross gen Switch / Switch 2 game

Why hold back a Mario or fiddle with BOTW2's schedule when Prime 4 is right there having not a screenshot or trailer in the world, ready to be pushed back to reveal new hardware?

I'm sure Nintendo is working on a new console and a new Mario but I don't think the scheduling of the latter can be read into the date of the former. I think the biggest evidence against it is Splatoon 3, which has no reason to exist on the Switch at all if there's a new console right around the corner.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the pandemic caused some of those games to get delayed. I'm not expecting a new Nintendo system until 2024.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I think the DLSS model* is coming at holiday 2022 at the earliest.

*a proprietary, tentative name I choose to describe the new model with allegedly DLSS functionality

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Covid19 pandemic delayed alot of games. They probably just don't want to announce everything at once.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Not really, seems comparable to other years honestly

March-Breath of the Wild, 1 2 Switch
April-Mario Kart Deluxe
June-Arms
July-Splatoon 2
Aug-Mario Rabbids
Sept-Pokken
Oct-Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Odyssey
Dec-Xenoblade 2

Feb-Bayonetta
March-Kirby
April-Labo
May-Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warrios
June-Mario Tennis
July-Octopath, Captain Toad
Oct-Mario Party
Nov-Pokemon Let's Go
Dec-Smash Bros

Jan-New Super Mario Bros
March-Yoshi
April-Labo VR
June-Mario Maker
July-Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Fire Emblem
Aug-Astral Chain
Sept-Link's Awakening
Oct-Ring Fit Adventure, Luigi's Mansion
Nov-Pokemon Sword/Shield

Jan-Tokyo Mirage Sessions
March-Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing
May-Xenoblade DE
June-Clubhouse Games
July-Paper Mario
Sept-3D All Stars
Oct-Pikmin, Mario Kart Live
Nov-Hyrule Warriors

Feb-3D World
April-Pokemon Snap
May-Miitopia
June-Game Maker, Mario Golf
July-Skyward Sword
Sept-WarioWare
Oct-Metroid, Mario Party
Nov-Pokemin D/P
Dec-Advance Wars, Brain Academy

Jan-Pokemon Legends
March-Triangle Strategy
Spring-Kirby
TBA-Splatoon, Mario Rabbids, Bayonetta, Breath of the Wild

Switch has gotten about a dozen or so 1st/2nd party titles each year and 2022 will probably be similar.