• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Something that I'm noticing at this point is Nintendo is stacking a ton of games they have to release within the next year. Lets take a look at them

Pokémon Legends: Arceus
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Kirby and the Forgotten Island
Splatoon 3
Breathe of the Wild sequel
Bayonetta 3

This is just what we know, there could be and likely are more, and it is really unusual for Nintendo that rarely aligns so many of their big titles together (outside Switch launch window). I can't help but feel it somewhat feels like a "send off year line-up" of sorts before a new console is launched. That and the fact that at today's Direct the Switch was showing its age with the new game footage.

So with such a big year planned, along with the Mario movie, I'm thinking we are going to see the Switch successor announced too. What do you guys think?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo is going to ride the Switch as long as they can, I'm not even convinced for a Pro announcement. So no, not even close I expect a successor in 2024 at the earliest.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, they release a lot of games throughout most years. There's really not much of a clustering out here when you spread out the games than most other years. You could be right about a new platform coming soon, I doubt it is myself but it's hard to say for sure, but this is just looking too much into nothing especially since we don't actually know when a lot of those games are going to actually hit.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
The opposite actually. Everybody who expects Nintendo to phase out a system that is still getting this much content in it's 5th and 6th year on the market is out of their mind.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
No, the releases are clustered cause of COVID delays.
You should be seeing the same from Sony & MS first party next year as well.
I'm willing to bet many of those games were initially planned for 2021 (maybe even late 2020) before COVID hit

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dane Switch in late 2022 is my expectation. Nintendo will hold out as long as possible with supporting the base switch, but third parties will jump ship immediately

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That's 6 games lol, Nintendo releases more than that each year. 3 of those aren't even made by Nintendo.

So no, I don't think so.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Remember how badly people wanted Nintendo to move on from 3DS in the end? It's gonna be like that times three.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think the development times on things just happened to land a lot of stuff in 2022, especially because of Covid.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a massive stretch tbh.
So, no.

It's not even that many games lol

At most maybe you get an OLED Switch Lite next year.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There will be no new platform in 2022. They havea lot of releases because they want a lot of money.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I do think they're gearing up for a new platform but I don't think this clustering suggests that. As others have said, it's clustered because of COVID. But also Nintendo wouldn't stop supporting the Switch heavily just because they released a new console. It wouldn't be until the second year of a new console that Switch games would slow down.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I still think 2023 at the earliest, but I am starting to think that BoTW 2 might slip into 2023, and be a cross gen launch title for the Switch successor.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
BotW 2 and Splatoon 3 are the Switch 2 launch titles.

You're right that when Nintendo clusters a lot of major new releases together (I think we'll get a new Mario Kart, a new 3D Mario, a new Xenoblade, and of course Prime 4 all in 2022-23 as well) that's a sign a new console is coming.

It's right there for anyone who wants to see it. Feels like Splatoon 3 is launching Fall 2022 since there was no release window, and BotW2 is surely a Fall 2022 game as well. I'm betting on the others to come in 2023 closing out the Switch 2's first year on the market.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this is the opposite of that. when a new Nintendo platform is coming, the previous one gets jack shit released on it.

Switch sucessor is 2024 most likely or very late 2023. the jack shit year for Switch would be 2023.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
The opposite actually. Everybody who expects Nintendo to phase out a system that is still getting this much content in it's 5th and 6th year on the market is out of their mind.

That would be like if Sony phased out the PS4 a couple months after it got Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part 2, and Ghost of Tsushima. No real company would do something like that.

Oh wait...

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
People still citing the usual 5-6 year cycle at this point are outright ignoring what has been said going back to mid 2017. Nintendo has explicity stated they want to keep their systems on the market for way longer. 7-10 years is the new cycle. Probably added by a Pro model.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
this is the opposite of that. when a new Nintendo platform is coming, the previous one gets jack shit released on it.

Switch sucessor is 2024 most likely or very late 2023. the jack shit year for Switch would be 2023.
That would line up with a new Pokémon gen in 2023 allowing them to absolutely release less that year and still sell a lot

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
That would be like if Sony phased out the PS4 a couple months after it got Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part 2, and Ghost of Tsushima. No real company would do something like that.

Oh wait...
Sony has done this before with games like The Last of Us releasing for PS3 in the same year the PS4 came out, or God of War 2 releasing on PS2 well into 2007. Nintendo has the opposite history, putting games on succesor systems because they arrive too late in the systems life cycle.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No, the releases are clustered cause of COVID delays.
You should be seeing the same from Sony & MS first party next year as well.
I'm willing to bet many of those games were initially planned for 2021 (maybe even late 2020) before COVID hit
Exactly.

The first thing that came to mind seeing all those 2022 dates was Covid.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a new revelation, everyone noticed this as far back as their Spring 2021 direct with Splat 3, Triangle Strategy and also a Pokemon game landing.
With SWITCH OLED, a new hardware dropping midyear next year is too soon, I think it's just the last big send-off for Switch with new hardware announced late 2022 and arriving early 2023 most likely.

There being no Super Mario Odyssey 2 in the 2022 lineup is telling. That or a brand new Mario game is probably being held back as a launch title for the next Switch.

That said H1 2022 is packed. We don't even know what they have planned for this H2 2022. Some more optimistic people think that's when the new hardware is launching. And it's still quite possible given how they lined up their release. Unlike Sony's presentation almost everything announced today for 2022 is coming in the next 6-9 months, before June. That leaves H2 2022 wide open for Spring direct and E3 direct announcements.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
It looks to me like three big releases and three small-to-medium ones, including one collaboration and one publishing agreement with a third party. Is that really such an unbelievable output for a whole year?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Yeah, Wii, Wii U, and 3DS feel like they got almost nothing when Nintendo allocated resources away for the new hotness. Unless something's changed, the Switch still has 2-3+ years. Why put Splatoon 3 on Switch if there's going to be a new system a year later?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're just making up for covid delaying plenty of stuff and it's about when you'd expect new projects from the teams that released major titles in 2017-2018 to come

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This. With that, the OLED model, and the fact that the Switch is barely plateauing in sales, Nintendo has no reason to release their "next platform" until at least 2023. I empathize with those who genuinely wanted a more powerful Pro model, but this has been the Nintendo experience for the better part of a decade, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo consoles on their last legs tend to have less games, as development shifts to creating games for the next platform, which requires years of time.