• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I think in 2020, near September, do we start to see 195GB and above. 2021 is probably my estimate guess for 200GB, no proof guaranteed!

250GB would be hit in 2022.

Thoughts?

(My flight home is delayed, hence I'm in Newark, NJ.)

Edit:

We're discussing about the minimum size requirements at launch for the base game. DLCs/expansions not included.

Last edited:

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
IF 8k becomes a thing, i could see this getting worse. given the new cpus, i could also see worlds getting bigger.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
When DMC2 remake comes out. DMC250GBOFSTOARGE

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I wonder how they're going to deal with this on the new consoles SSD storage. Even 1TB looks to be too little and high capacity SSDs can be costly

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, go big. What will be the first 1TB game? Probably something by Rockstar?

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
When do we get to? You act like that's a good thing šŸ˜³
It's a trend since a while ago, when 50GB first met on PC. Then 60GB, then 65GB for consoles. Then 70GB for PC, then 90GB for consoles/PC multi-release, and then it kept going on an annual basis.

1TB is very easy to achieve, but I'm asking about is the average game minimum sizes.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
pretty sure if you play xplane right you can end up with a tb

and that's years old
plmusf5.jpg

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Games are platforms now. Thankfully we can delete games that we aren't currently playing. But all of this is a nightmare for people with data caps from shitty ISPs.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I will say, however, that a lot of times when a game lists a super high required HDD space, that's just because it'll use double the install size during the installation process. Destiny 2 lists itself as well over 100GB, but the actual install size doesn't match the required space to install it.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
i do wish, given what Sony said in the release for PS5, that more modular installs become a thing. on pc at least, sometimes it's possible to save a bit of space by deleting languages. On AC Odyssey, i saved 15gb.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if VII Remake is 80 GB or whatever, it'll probably end up being 250 GB for the whole story.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
As someone who games primarily on Switch, I find this thread insane! Wow had no idea games were getting so large..

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
IF 8k becomes a thing, i could see this getting worse. given the new cpus, i could also see worlds getting bigger.
Ray traced audio will warrant higher quality audio recordings/ samples as well which could increase file size.

on a plus note: more dynamic lighting means less baked lighting which eats up file space.

Oct 28, 2017
What is the expected Optical Format of PS5/XBOX-2020? If it's UHD then I suspect we may hit 300GB next year.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
My condo building just announced we are switching DirecTV and internet providers. I'm terrified that they signed some new deal for less money but it'll have a data cap. Hold me until the bad thoughts go away.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This trend coupled with the move to SSDs next gen is a bit disconcerting. We will be able to have like 3 games installed at any given time.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I remember people having their minds blown in pc gamer back in the day that hexan 2 required a massive 70 megs install.

Good times.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Which we won't be able to do since they will most likely be M.2 NVME style and soldered to the mobo.
Well, you can use external enclosures for SSDs/NVME most likely as the PS4 and X1 supports them. In fact it's better to use an SSD for the PS4 and X1 when it comes to load times and such.

Feb 24, 2018
It still impresses that Nintendo and From are able to make great games without anywhere near that required size, while not a fan, I give Kojima a lot of credit with MGSV with how impressive the graphics were and the amount of content his team were able to put in and still keep it around 35GB, something I hope stays similar foe Death Stranding. Even ID seems to be learning this with Doom Eternal it seems.

This is a issue that's going to get worse and worse for many people as the download sizes getting bigger while data caps are still a thing in many places, something that many companies just don't seem to consider but seems they should. Data caps aren't a worry for me, but large downloads hogging up the wifi for the rest of the family is, I remember my family watching Stranger Things at 4K in the other room caused everything else to run slower until they were done, I can't image a 175GB download would do... And that's not even including patches, DLC and the like.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
It's going to be a nightmare next gen. it'll be a 500 GB SSD in the consoles, it's alright now, you just whack a big external on there. Not going to work unless your external is an SSD too, how much is it for a 2 or 4 TB external SSD?

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
We had 50gb for gta4 on pc(2008?), rdr2 being 150gb in 2019. Lets see.
I dont see that game size is actually a fact for better games.
Gears of war 4 was 140gb on xbox and i dont know why. Everything in that game sucked.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Well, the new Flight Simulator is 2 petabytes, so theoretically you'd only need the local storage for streaming the complex stuff and cloud for the wider environments.

Nov 8, 2017
100+GB games are not rare, but they're also not the norm. I think we'll see 200GB games around the launch of the PS5/XBN, but they won't be "the norm" for a while. Big multiplats that ship with 5 modes and endless service games will push the boundaries, but there will be quite a few games hitting around ~100GB for years to come, simply because they'll ship on a single disc and don't necessarily need the extra space.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine 1TB SSD max in next gen consoles. It's likely that external drives won't be able to run games, so they better have a slick as fuck process for moving games between internal and external drives.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before. Publishers need to provide the option to install tighter versions of games if a player desires so. Extra-compressed textures and audio clips aren't a bother to me.