• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well I got my Xbox Series S yesterday and as of right now I have 43 games downloaded on it. We're only 13 days into the month and I've already blown over 1TB of data.

CrewShadow

Feb 5, 2018
I have about 400gbs left with a week or so left. Shit sucks honestly. Miss the days were I didn't have to worry about this BS. Between Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Borderlands I think thats about 170gbs or so. Thank god I held off on getting any new games for the time being.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
No data caps here where I live. Then again, I also haven't been able to get my hands on a PS5 :( (Japan keeps doing lottery for all stores and I'm having some bad luck).

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
I pay for unlimited data +$30/month (Comcast) since my household typically goes over 1.2tb a month since the pandemic. It sucks having to pay extra, but at least I have the peace of mind not worrying about having a enormous bill for the data overages.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Seems I used (on PS5) ~150GB yesterday. It's probably going to wind up being around 220GB as I'm still downloading Fallout 76's update. It sucks to have to think about, but I came into things having planned out what I wanted to install, and having gotten an estimate for both download size and storage size. That way I've been able to keep a lid on the amount of data I've been using.

We should wind up being under the cap and it should be with quite a bit of data to spare, but it's definitely been something to keep in mind. It'd be nice if caps weren't a thing, though.

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'm from Europe where thankfully this does not exist at all. Always surprised it's still the standard for you guys

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
No data cap here and good thing. I downloaded like 1.5 TB since Tuesday

This. First I put in Dirt 5 and AC, which both took about 5-10% of data from the disc and downloaded most of the game. Then I browsed though Game Pass and proceeded to add 25 games to my queue totalling around 1.5TB and thought... I can't be the only one doing this...

ISP's must be getting slammed. That said I was capping out my max 100mbps bandwidth the whole time.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've decided this month I'm just gonna let it go over if it needs to go over. I'm at 850GB out of 1.2TB for the month already, and I do still plan to at least grab Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate on my Xbox once the proper Series X version drops next week. This is on top of my partner and I having a pretty steady habit of 4K media consumption via streaming. Probably going over this month, but I don't care. I used my complimentary overage month already.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
was going horribly until i got an email saying i could upgrade my plan to unlimited for an extra 11 dollars a month lmao

jumped on that fast as hell

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've had Sparklight since December and got my first message yesterday about them charging me additional money for going past my limit this month. I went several hundred gigs past my 1.2 TB limit when I got my Series X. I haven't looked since I got my PS5 because there's not much point. It resets in 5 days and I should be good from then on.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Since i live in rural california my options are limited. I use 4g ATT and it doesnt seem to have a cap. Always download 1TB a month at least lol

G9man2

Sep 18, 2020
No data cap here in New york. Just the last 2 days, I am at 918 gigs on the xbox series x.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
No data caps here, as they are deemed illegal.

With that said, my Xbox shows as having downloaded about 1.4TB. I feel for those with bad internet connections/providers.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Mine has absolutely shit the bed. But luckily I had one free overage left. I'm at 1.5 tb (bought both the SX and Ps5 so I had a lot to download). Im going to download as much as I possibly can.

Endigo

Jan 9, 2018
No data caps here where I live. Then again, I also haven't been able to get my hands on a PS5 :( (Japan keeps doing lottery for all stores and I'm having some bad luck).
GEO are doing regular pre-orders through their app! I put mine down Monday and will be getting it next week

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
GEO are doing regular pre-orders through their app! I put mine down Monday and will be getting it next week
Not lottery but preorders? I joined the first lottery and didn't get through, and now I applied for the second lottery and let's see what happens.
I'll check the app again, but I didn't see any pre-order thing :(

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Centurylink won't overcharge, they'll just send me an email warning, but I think they've removed caps for now due to pandemic times anyway.

May 21, 2018
Spectrum doesn't have data caps................................... yet.

They're planning to go asshole and get them in the near future, from what I understand.

I wish fiber was more prevalent in the US.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019

To explain, in America, a companies like Comcast and Verizon have monopolies on internet services in multiple areas. Because of this, they decided to put a 1 Terabyte data cap on almost all plans, which only 5-10 years ago, used to be 100gb cap. They are well aware that streaming 1080p or 4k movies and TV shows and downloading and playing video games will bring your data very close to the cap, sometimes going over it, so that they can throttle your internet after you go over the cap and charge you a fee for it. Then when you call to complain, they offer you a pricier service in order to pay them more money anyway and they offer their slowly dying cable service as an alternative to streaming services to save you data from streaming so that you don't reach their data cap.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Thankfully I don't have any but that is offset by having some of the worst internet on Earth so you know.

You know

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Luckily I checked and realized that I was almost about to go over and upgraded to unlimited for the month to avoid the pricey overage fees. I posted a reminder on ERA to check and consider upgrading and quickly found out that I'm an entitled shill for Comcast that reeks of privilege.

www.resetera.com

PSA: If you are on a datacap broadband plan, consider switching to unlimited for all the downloads on your new systems

I just got my Series S and Series X yesterday. I noticed I only had 300GB of data left on my plan (I have a 1.25 TB plan) for the month so I upgraded to unlimited for the month and will downgrade next month. If you are on a data cap plan make sure you check so you don't get charged overage fees.

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
I'm paying Cox an extra $49.99 a month for unlimited data so that makes my internet only bill for 150 mbps $113.98 a month and that's with a discount.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I thought some ISPs throttle their speeds when you go over. Don't some of them throttle it so much you can only do light internet browsing which makes getting unlimited worthless?

Oct 25, 2017
This. First I put in Dirt 5 and AC, which both took about 5-10% of data from the disc and downloaded most of the game. Then I browsed though Game Pass and proceeded to add 25 games to my queue totalling around 1.5TB and thought... I can't be the only one doing this...

ISP's must be getting slammed. That said I was capping out my max 100mbps bandwidth the whole time.
Yeah I added a ton of gamepass games, AC, all the Ps5 launch games and more.
The good news is the new hardware flies. I was hitting almost 900mbps on ps5

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Thoughts and prayers to anyone who doesn't have unlimitted data during these trying times, shit is gonna be rough.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You guys need different ISPs if possible.
In many places in US you have a choice of one or max two ISPs. Usually both suck unless you luck out and you have a fiber connection.

I have Verizon Fiber and basically told my wife that any house we look at in the future will need to have equivalent as a req. Kids stream/play their own stuff, wife has a work machine plus streams her own thing, and I have work system, media server, backup to cloud and stream/game. So yeah, usually hit 1 to 2 TB a month easy. More this month.

Iceman83

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

They're planning to go asshole and get them in the near future, from what I understand.

I really don't think that will happen. I actually talked to them about this when I upgraded my service, and they said they will never have a cap. They know they'll lose a shit ton of customers.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Shit, I'm on the fence on picking up a 400Mbps plan from Spectrum because my U-verse connection has been crazy flaky and affecting my work from home.

Is this on of those "in Trump's America things" that I can pray gets deleted under new leadership?

I hate the ISP situation in the US. I seethe daily over it. And I work for one which means I know all of the evils.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
As far as I know I don't have a data cap... used up 42 percent of my series x hard drive though so we'll see haha