• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I can't judge anyone who still likes and supports Harry Potter. We all have to decide for ourselves what our line is, and that often involves compromise.

I think threads like this where ppl attack others for where they draw the line is unhealthy.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not making a purchase is the easiest gesture in the world with actual impact.
Correct.

I'll just buy Harley everything and be happy about it.

I can't judge anyone who still likes and supports Harry Potter. We all have to decide for ourselves what our line is, and that often involves compromise.

I think threads like this where ppl attack others for where they draw the line is unhealthy.

Thank you. And that means drawing the line for everything in life.

I still see plenty of Acti/Blizz/CDPR/Ubi etc threads on this forum, and yet we are all here... we decided to draw the line in sand. 'Oh, but I' m not participating in those threads'. You're still using the platform, you draw the line, that's fine.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
While you're at it, smash your phone to the ground. Why are you actively supporting minors abuse and beyond minimal wages typing a post on a meaningless forum? Just smash it. It's not worth it.

You can be selective, yes. Otherwise you'd go mad in this world.

Here are my choices regarding this situation.

-I won't play Potter
-I won't buy Potter skins
-I'll say fuck J. K. Rowling

-I'll definitely show this girl's excellent review of Azkaban to other students and congratulate her passion for reading
-I'll defiinitely mention Potter from time to time to show them how basic Hero's journey trope works
-I'll cherish my og books and have fond memories of those times

You can do a total opposite of me, and that's fine.
Stop bringing up that child, they have nothing to do with it. No one is suggesting you lecture them.

I'm also not someone telling you to do anything, I'm just pointing out what you said was nonsense about "all the books".

And yes, we are inherently hypocritical just existing the way we do, obviously. The fact remains that not supporting another video game is a hell of a lot easier than giving up smart phones.

Do what you want, I'm not judging anyone, the points your raised don't pan out well is all.

OP
OP
Lord Vatek

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

I will clarify that I'm not criticizing people for merely liking Harry Potter.

I'm criticizing continuing to spend money to support the franchise despite knowing who and what it funds.

You can't say "Fuck J.K. Rowling" and then buy whatever movie or game comes out without being a hypocrite. They're intrinsically tied.

If HP gets into Multiversus and it's not in the base (free) game, then whatever money that goes into buying that content will go to Rowling and her vile views.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I will clarify that I'm not criticizing people for merely liking Harry Potter.

I'm criticizing continuing to spend money to support the franchise despite knowing who and what it funds.

You can't say "Fuck J.K. Rowling" and then buy whatever movie or game comes out without being a hypocrite.

Yeah, I do agree with that. I'd buy a Buffy game, even though Joss Whedon is an ass. I know it's bad, but Buffy means a lot to me. For what little it'd be worth, I'd own up to it.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop bringing up that child, they have nothing to do with it. No one is suggesting you lecture them.

I'm also not someone telling you to do anything, I'm just pointing out what you said was nonsense about "all the books".

And yes, we are inherently hypocritical just existing the way we do, obviously. The fact remains that not supporting another video game is a hell of a lot easier than giving up smart phones.

Do what you want, I'm not judging anyone, the points your raised don't pan out well is all.
Oh, so you will lecture me, but I cannot lecture you, mentioning a clear, unnamed, general example of how I decided to draw the line in my real life to support a good cause? Got it. That same individual will also read other books by example and learn to judge the world, other works, and perhaps their authors, by effect.

I find it silly to even think to tell someone to 'feel bad about Potter'. No, feel bad about a person of flesh and blood fueling the hate. Or even better, don't tell people how to feel anyhow, let them think for themselves. It starts by reading more books.

And don't buy the Potter skins, sure. I won't.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Harry Potter makes it into the game, Rowling will likely get royalties long before any of us spend money on it.

By all means, if you chose to play this, that's your choice. The best course of action in that case would be to not buy anything Harry Potter should the franchise be included. But personally, if Harry Potter is in the game, then that means I can't really support it. There's a personal line that has to be drawn, especially when so many of my transgender friends and family are dying and are at risk of dying.

A reminder that at least 46 trans and non-binary people have died in the United States this year. The transphobia of people like Rowling directly and indirectly contributes to this continued violence.

So what, do I burn my books as well? No thanks.

Obligatory fuck J. K. Rowling, but leave fictional characters out of it.

With all due respect, m4st4, I find that the level of aggressiveness and hostility over a subject that actively gets people killed is a bit uncalled for? Nobody's saying you have to burn your books. But there is a bit of hypocrisy to say "Fuck J.K. Rowling" while making exclusions for her direct fictional creations that she profits and continues to profit from.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
As a person who talks classic and modern literature with young adults due to nature of my work... I have bad news.

You know what? Burn the books. Burn them all, go full on Fahrenheit.

-Reminding people J. K. Rowling went full on bonkers bad human is a-okay
-Telling people to not play/buy skins/feel bad about a fictional character feeding a billionaire, not okay... Why? Because then I have to tell a girl last week who sent a beautiful review of Azkaban that in fact this book that fueled her love for reading sucks... and thats far worse than your hypocricy

Like I said, be consistent, start burnin.
No one said anything about burning books.

The child has absolutely nothing to do with this, it's not our fault that JK is a transphobic piece of shit who wants us dead.

As someone who grew up on Harry Potter books, movies, and merch, and have since had to come to terms that a series I used to love is written and owned by someone who wants me dead, it's fucking infuriating seeing people like you pretending to care, but still guilting us for daring to ask for people to not support her. That's all that was asked for, nothing more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so you will lecture me, but I cannot lecture you, mentioning a clear, unnamed, general example of how I decided to draw the line in my real life to support a good cause? Got it. That same individual will also read other books by example and learn to judge the world, other works, and perhaps their authors, by effect.

I find it silly to even think to tell someone to 'feel bad about Potter'. No, feel bad about a person of flesh and blood fueling the hate. Or even better, don't tell people how to feel anyhow, let them think for themselves. It starts by reading more books.

I didn't lecture you.

I pointed out why your point about "all the books was nosenese" and explained why I thought so.

And, again, I have never judged you for anything or told you how to feel.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Rowling's comments and continued attitude are disgusting, but unfortunately, I assume most people either don't know, don't care, or that it's been part of their lives for so long that they want to look past her stance.

Personally, I never got into Harry Potter, so I have no issues avoiding it. I'm also cool with it if people want to "reclaim" it so to speak, but sadly, any money spent on anything Harry Potter is going into her pocket, which is probably being used to further her shitty views in some way.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Of course.

But I'll remind them that JK Rowling is a piece of shit then too.

Yeah I'm already bracing for the shitshow that'll be, there's no way that'll go easy here with how many people here have ignored J.K.'s transphobia and how she's directly supporting anti-trans organizations and hatred.

Yup, these types of views are more and more prevalent here. But, fans will be fans right?

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
If Harry Potter makes it into the game, Rowling will likely get royalties long before any of us spend money on it.

By all means, if you chose to play this, that's your choice. The best course of action in that case would be to not buy anything Harry Potter should the franchise be included. But personally, if Harry Potter is in the game, then that means I can't really support it. There's a personal line that has to be drawn, especially when so many of my transgender friends and family are dying and are at risk of dying.

A reminder that at least 46 trans and non-binary people have died in the United States this year. The transphobia of people like Rowling directly and indirectly contributes to this continued violence.
Thank you for sharing this.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one said anything about burning books.

The child has absolutely nothing to do with this, it's not our fault that JK is a transphobic piece of shit who wants us dead.

As someone who grew up on Harry Potter books, movies, and merch, and have since had to come to terms that a series I used to love is written and owned by someone who wants me dead, it's fucking infuriating seeing people like you pretending to care, but still guilting us for daring to ask for people to not support her. That's all that was asked for, nothing more.
Not true. Read all of the posts. Someone literally posted, paraphrasing: 'you should feel bad about harry potter'

No, I won't. Ridiculous. I'll just literally not purchase anything related to the character and say fuck J. K. and still like the character and the books on my shelf.

Now, dear hypocrites of this thread,if you won't even PLAY the game itself, I kindly ask you to:

-stop supporting WB company in general (movies as well)
-Ubisoft, Acti, Blizzard, CDPR as well
-also the forum that you're on considering people still talk about them and play their games

Don't just type here, act. Be consistent.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Who? I only fuck with slavic wizards. WB could easily replace Potter.

Like my boy here

b39441.jpg

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do agree with that. I'd buy a Buffy game, even though Joss Whedon is an ass. I know it's bad, but Buffy means a lot to me. For what little it'd be worth, I'd own up to it.
In general we should keep going made the fault without being unnoticed, but I'll never against anyone does what made them having fun.
Harry Potter made a lot people happy, and I'll keep mentioning Rowling is garbage human.. but to be honest the purity check like maybe just harm a lot more people than Rowling or other shitty people.
They still a millionaire, dont even read what you write here.. but people that some of you told are bad people because you read that, play that are hurt by confrontation like this.. please avoid that tone as much as possible while made the fault not goes unnoticed.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
If HP is in the game, it's not worth playing.

mermaidsuk.org.uk

A call to J.K. Rowling - Mermaids

Please understand the impact of your public statements on trans people. Warning: please be aware that the following post discusses issues which may cause distress. Today, J.K.Rowling re-stated her position on transgender lives. We have previously reached out to her both publicly and privately...

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter is an amazing world, it will still sell gangbusters. WB would be dumb to not add chars.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say this game will be complained about once that store hits.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Not true. Read all of the posts. Someone literally posted, paraphrasing: 'you should feel bad about harry potter'

No, I won't. Ridiculous. I'll just literally not purchase anything related to the character and say fuck J. K. and still like the character and the books on my shelf.

Now, dear hypocrites of this thread,if you won't even PLAY the game itself, I kindly ask you to:

-also the forum that you're on considering people still talk about them and play their games

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Some people are doing their damn best to allow themselves to read a series of books. Like wow....

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

You are absolutely going off the rails here, m4st4. I think you would be better off just walking away from this one. You are clearly heated and you are not coming off well at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the bucket? Must be the bucket. Lemme ponder on it while I excuse myself from further discussion.
I agree with you that we shouldn't judge others for the books they are reading here, but some of your points were ridiculous and that comic is a good summary of the position you chose.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You keep talking about burning books, but no one said anything about that, so that's a strawman among the many in the bad faith posturing. While conservative school boards and folks in the USA are actively seeking to burn books related to teaching about slavery and racism. This is the "yet you participate in society" meme in full effect. No one here has said they will still support other companies like Acti/Ubisoft/etc because you can be consistent about other companies too. It's bad faith to advocate for smashing phones when they are essential in this world to function compared to not buying luxury products that fund transphobic creators who run campaigns against trans lives. It's also bad faith to use a girl as your shield and it's appeal to emotion, when nobody asked you to tell her to feel bad. You say someone else literally said "you should feel bad about Harry Potter" and I searched, it appears you're lying because it's only been you. This is all seeming very defensive so you're resorting to such tactics and it makes it difficult to engage with you when you're in this aggressive mode.

So what, do I burn my books as well? No thanks.

Obligatory fuck J. K. Rowling, but leave fictional characters out of it.

As a person who talks classic and modern literature with young adults due to nature of my work... I have bad news.

You know what? Burn the books. Burn them all, go full on Fahrenheit.

-Reminding people J. K. Rowling went full on bonkers bad human is a-okay
-Telling people to not play/buy skins/feel bad about a fictional character feeding a billionaire, not okay... Why? Because then I have to tell a girl last week who sent a beautiful review of Azkaban that in fact this book that fueled her love for reading sucks... and thats far worse than your hypocricy

Like I said, be consistent, start burnin.

While you're at it, smash your phone to the ground. Why are you actively supporting minors abuse and beyond minimal wages typing a post on a meaningless forum using that evil device? Just smash it. It's not worth it.

You can be selective, yes. Otherwise you'd go mad in this world.

Here are my choices regarding this situation.

-I won't play Potter
-I won't buy Potter skins
-I'll say fuck J. K. Rowling

-I'll definitely show this girl's excellent review of Azkaban to other students and congratulate her passion for reading
-I'll definitely mention Potter from time to time to show them how basic Hero's journey trope works
-I'll cherish my og books and have fond memories of those times

You can do a total opposite of me, and that's fine.

'LMAO.'

Ever heard of curriculum?

Regarding Potter, I was reading the books as they were coming out. Google the years, check the numbers.

Correct.

I'll just buy Harley everything and be happy about it.

Thank you. And that means drawing the line for everything in life.

I still see plenty of Acti/Blizz/CDPR/Ubi etc threads on this forum, and yet we are all here... we decided to draw the line in sand. 'Oh, but I' m not participating in those threads'. You're still using the platform, you draw the line, that's fine.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Fuck J.K. Rowling. Trans people are people, and each one of them has much more humanity than she ever will.

Btw, as a blanket statement to the posters in here: if somebody boycotts Harry Potter because of this but doesn't boycott literally everything else in their life that has problematic origins, it doesn't mean their outrage is invalid. The fact that you're lecturing them for that simply means you're more concerned about how people react to injustices than the injustices themselves. Do better.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

"STOP MAKING ME FEEL GUILT!"

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Asking out of ignorance, have there been documented cases of JK using her money in harmful ways to the trans community?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Seriously, thank you.

I read each book as they were published, saw most of the films in theaters, definitely picked up some smaller merch over the years too, but in the end it was incredibly easy to detatch myself from it all after seeing Rowling's true face. She is actively using her status as the mind behind a very successful IP to make the lives of trans folk, especially in the UK, all the more difficult; using her platform to terrorise those who already suffer through adversity and discrimination. It wouldn't be right if I continued supporting that, supporting her; just as I don't wish to support problematic video game studios like ABK, Ubisoft, CDPR, Riot and more; it's all my choice.

Thank you for this too. It's a needed reminder that this discussion isn't just about some fantasy novels and the fictional characters in them, we're talking about REAL lives being tragically taken because transphobia is given platforms that allows it to persist and spread, all because of terrible people like Rowling.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Just for the record, you do realize the person you just quoted is a non-binary trans person, right? And there are other trans people reading and posting in this thread, right? Seeing as I'm a trans woman, and apparently one of the hypocrites you're referring to based upon the specified criteria of not wanting to play the game.

For the record, I was an active participant in my college's LGBTQ club. I helped deal with transphobia directly on campus. I talked with counselors across the entire state that I live in about my experiences being transgender. I've been a confident and consul to many trans people at times, and I'll be attending a Transgender Day of Remembrance vigil tomorrow to honor and remember those who have died.

So my question is... what are you doing about transphobia, exactly? Especially in light of Rowling's transphobia that we can factually say (as per the OP) is harming trans people across the US, UK, and the world?

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to catch you in a "gotcha" or anything when I ask this. I'm just trying to point out that the aggression might be a bit misplaced? Plus, I'm legitimately curious.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
I agree that actively asking for Harry Potter cross-overs is a bit tone-deaf and it's always good to remind people of what J. K. Rowling stands for, just like it's always good to remind people that Ubisoft supports abusers and rapists every time their name comes up for any reason.

Mostly because even one more person being convinced that it's better to not give money to the TERF and Ubisoft is a good thing. But at the same time I don't know if I agree that buying Hogwarts Legacy is a sin. Everyone draws the line somewhere different.

I would be an hypocrite to criticize people trying to justify buying HL to themselves because "Rowling probably got paid for the rights all at once, one copy of the game being sold/left unsold won't change how much money she gets", or "I'm gonna make MY character trans in HL and post it on Social Media to dunk on her" or "I'm supporting the developers who are all good people and don't deserve to have their hard work ruined by the evil witch" or for any other possible reason.

I bought Dragon Quest games while Sugiyama was still alive so I should practice what I preach before I can criticize HP fans, sometimes it's not easy to just abandon a franchise that means much to you.
I'm thinking of the people who actually named their kids after Arya Stark or after Riku from Kingdom Hearts. It would probably be impossible for them to stop supporting that franchise even if the author turned out to be worse than J.K. Rowling.

It's a complete no-brainer that real people's lives are more important than a movie/videogame/book franchise but in today's world the kind of para-social relationship we have with certain fictional franchises, even with certain companies is a complete mess. So in conclusion, I hope HP characters won't get into the game at all so we can avoid the problem entirely, but if it does happen... I dunno at the end of the day it's a personal choice if you want to buy the DLC or not I would definitely praise the people refusing to buy it, but at the same time it's not fair to threat people who will buy it like the evil spawn of Satan.

This is just the whole "let's put the franchise behind us" vs "death of the author/let's reclaim the franchise" debacle all over again, isn't it?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"STOP MAKING ME FEEL GUILT!"

I HAVE NO REMORSE.

I expect a lot of notifications and bad energy from this. People condescending me should put that energy back in the box and spend it elsewhere.

Repeated:

Definitely don't purchase HP skins.
Definitely fuck J. K. Rowling.

Also, play the game and enjoy it if you like it.
Also, read the books and feel free to still like the characters in it.

But that will get buried under all the angry people posts. Or I'll get a warning for posting my opinion. I wonder which one prevails.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
"I definitely don't feel guilty! That's why I have to come into a topic about the thing I feel absolutely no guilt about and declare that everyone is hypocrites! You know, instead of just ignoring it like someone with a clean conscience would! Even though my conscience is definitely clear! This means nothing aboit the state of my conscience or my need for validation! Now stop quoting me with your negativity!"

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
I HAVE NO REMORSE.

I expect a lot of notifications and bad energy from this. People condescending me should put that energy back in the box and spend it elsewhere.

Repeated:

Definitely don't purchase HP skins.
Definitely fuck J. K. Rowling.

Also, play the game and enjoy it if you like it.
Also, read the books and feel free to still like the characters in it.

But that will get buried under all the angry people posts. Or I'll get a warning for posting my opinion. I wonder which one prevails.
Then why are you posting if your stance is just "Le free market"? Have some fucking courage

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

No, what you did was start projecting because someone responded to your "leave fictional characters out of it" line to say that JK owns the entire IP and profits off of everything involving the IP. That's the facts, and you couldn't handle it.

And did you REALLY just pull the "but you participate in society" card? I'm not gonna be lectured on how it's "hypocritical" for us to stand up against transphobia when no one else will. You're doing nothing but moral grandstanding and calling people hypocrites and blaming us for forcing you to have to address JK's transphobia. You came in here and made it about yourself and some kid you threw under the bus to guilt trip us, and now you declare hypocrisy for us calling your bullshit?

I've donated to Trans Support Funds, I've donated to Black Trans support funds, I've donated to Black Lives Matter, I've donated to ACLU, I've donated to Girls Who Code, I've donated to support funds fighting against slave labor in China, you get the gist. I HAVE done something, while you cry about how awful it is that you'll be forced tell a child their favorite author wants us dead, while you sit here moral grandstanding and tell us that we have to actively participate in every single act of protest or else we're hypocrites for asking for others to help us. No, you're the one who's so concerned with looking like you're morally superior without having to adjust anything, that you jumped into this thread to aggressively lecture us because you've got a glass ego that's ready to shatter.

I can accept that I can't fight every single battle, that I'm only human and can't be expected to put every ounce of energy into every single act of protest and solidarity, and of course I'm going to care more about the things that affect me and everything around me more. I accept that will mean that I'll have supported things that end up hurting someone, we literally cannot escape it in a capitalistic society that feeds the rich while we all fight over the few scraps we're given, but that is NOT an excuse to come in here and call us all hypocrites and start lecturing us how we should ask for support so you don't have to feel bad after making several overexaggerated and dismissive posts.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Am I the bucket? Must be the bucket. Lemme ponder on it while I excuse myself from further discussion.
Amazed you're only banned for a month - this is the most ludicrously hostile rant I've seen on this site.

You're gone now, but maybe you're still reading and seething, so I'll say this:

Surely you see that there's a difference between book-burning censorship of art and expression and pleas not to financially support an artist who is demonstrably propagating transphobic rhetoric? And that you're angrily ranting against the people who will be directly harmed by that financial support?

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
No, what you did was start projecting because someone responded to your "leave fictional characters out of it" line to say that JK owns the entire IP and profits off of everything involving the IP. That's the facts, and you couldn't handle it.

And did you REALLY just pull the "but you participate in society" card? I'm not gonna be lectured on how it's "hypocritical" for us to stand up against transphobia when no one else will. You're doing nothing but moral grandstanding and calling people hypocrites and blaming us for forcing you to have to address JK's transphobia. You came in here and made it about yourself and some kid you threw under the bus to guilt trip us, and now you declare hypocrisy for us calling your bullshit?

I've donated to Trans Support Funds, I've donated to Black Trans support funds, I've donated to Black Lives Matter, I've donated to ACLU, I've donated to Girls Who Code, I've donated to support funds fighting against slave labor in China, you get the gist. I HAVE done something, while you cry about how awful it is that you'll be forced tell a child their favorite author wants us dead, while you sit here moral grandstanding and tell us that we have to actively participate in every single act of protest or else we're hypocrites for asking for others to help us. No, you're the one who's so concerned with looking like you're morally superior without having to adjust anything, that you jumped into this thread to aggressively lecture us because you've got a glass ego that's ready to shatter.

I can accept that I can't fight every single battle, that I'm only human and can't be expected to put every ounce of energy into every single act of protest and solidarity, and of course I'm going to care more about the things that affect me and everything around me more. I accept that will mean that I'll have supported things that end up hurting someone, we literally cannot escape it in a capitalistic society that feeds the rich while we all fight over the few scraps we're given, but that is NOT an excuse to come in here and call us all hypocrites and start lecturing us how we should ask for support so you don't have to feel bad after making several overexaggerated and dismissive posts.
We thank you for your efforts.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Asking out of ignorance, have there been documented cases of JK using her money in harmful ways to the trans community?

I haven't heard of examples but at this point it's not about how much money she literally gets. If her IP earns money for her, the IP legitimatises her. It gives her power. It gives her influence. Her essay caused suicide attempt rates to go up. Her words emboldened transphobes.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who lives in the UK, it's not so much the money, but the fact she's a household name. She uses her platform to rally against trans people, which due to her following, gives TERF movements traction.

It's a huge problem over here right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
People actively asking for HP characters of all things was my daily reminder of how most Era users wear the whole civil rights / anti-bigotry thing as a fashion accessory with no actual engagement or effort on their part. It's fucking Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. :(

There are people who claim Cyberpunk represent things that they are morally opposed against and yet they still bought and/or played the game nonetheless, enthusiastically even.

It will be the same with HP games and stuff.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
There are people who claim Cyberpunk represent things that they are morally opposed against and yet they still bought and/or played the game nonetheless, enthusiastically even.

It will be the same with HP games and stuff.

I mean,

You can enjoy Cyberpunk and also still be against transphobia. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

What's important is to at least acknowledge that the transphobia is a part of the product.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
One question. We know the game is free to play, supported by microtransactions. If it turns out that characters are all free (automatically included in patches) and the microtransactions are just for cosmetics, does that mean you could avoid any money going to Rowling just by avoiding any Harry Potter cosmetics (and preferably not playing as him), while still playing the game?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
One question. We know the game is free to play, supported by microtransactions. If it turns out that characters are all free (automatically included in patches) and the microtransactions are just for cosmetics, does that mean you could avoid any money going to Rowling just by avoiding any Harry Potter cosmetics (and preferably not playing as him), while still playing the game?

Doubt so. All IP owners would have to be paid one way or another. If HP characters are inside, your money will indirectly be contributing. It's just a matter of "how much".

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People actively asking for HP characters of all things was my daily reminder of how most Era users wear the whole civil rights / anti-bigotry thing as a fashion accessory with no actual engagement or effort on their part. It's fucking Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. :(
*looks at King of Fighters theead* FGC is playing their Saudi Blood Money-funded beta right now.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns with regards to transphobia, history of dismissiveness in sensitive threads

Thank you.

These threads are often an excuse to judging people because they're not as extreme as others. Fuck J.K. Rowling, but i'm still happy for people that are fan of the IP if they got characters out of it. Sometimes, a shitty author still change your life because of the world he/she created. That's just how it is.

Also, the cynical in me feels like J.K Rowling won, she's set for life (and the next 20 ones). Can't really feel conflicted if she get more money because of a game.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
The real problem with J.K Rowling is how she weaponizes her fame gained from Harry Potter to push her abhorrent agenda. She interlinks her shitty behaviour with her IP in a way that that other creators simply doesnt. Even with something as abhorrent as Activison Blizzard its very easy to seperate the company from the products they create and (as with most companies) I dont really think you can make a good argument there as to why something like a boycott would even make sense. Its not like "we rape our co-workers" is a practice they officially endorse and campaign for.

But with J.K Rowling its different - the more relevance Harry Potter has, the more power J.K Rowlings anti-trans agenda holds.