• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has been locking down on the WRPG gain with acquire studios like Obsidian and Inxile to having the whole publisher of Bethesda under it's wing. With the acquisition game rising up what about Sony? They're pretty close with Square(have been for something) with the the next new major IP Project Athia and Final Fantasy XVI exclusive(timed) to PS5 for a year or so and seem to have more on the horizon for both companies.

Should Sony just tie the knot and acquire Square's talent and IPs to become a jrpg powerhouse, especially since publishers seem to be fair game and it's been a want for Sony to invest in JRPG by PS fans.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
do we really need more corporate acquisition begging threads?

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Lol, I really don't think Sony has the money for a move like that. Square can be the double of what Zenimax was.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What would that change? Sony doesn't make JRPGs so it would have the exact same output as if Square was still independent

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we for the love of god stop with this "Should Consolemanufactuer buy 3rd Party XYZ" fetish?
We had this long enough. Stop it

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Hope not, I love SE games and I'm mostly on Xbox. I would def buy a playstation if that happened though.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why would SE sell when Sony comes to them every year with truckloads of money to beg them for some exclusive titles

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Until Microsoft can prove it they aren't a WRPG juggernaut yet. I'm an Xbox guy but we haven't really even seen any of these games. I hope Sony leaves square alone.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish people would think about the little things when it comes to these acqusition begging threads.

Like for example, Square-Enix has three playable characters in Smash Bros. and Nintendo needs them to re-release Mario RPG. Having Sony buy them out would kill all of that dead and make things worse for everyone.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
1. Stop

2. Nintendo would be a far better fit for a JRPG juggernaut since they make a lot of them already while Sony doesn't give a fuck

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sorry, but this is forum logic, not something that would apply irl.

I would say Atlus, Monolith and Falcom are a lot more important to actual Jrpgs fans nowadays anyway. Sony with SE would probably mean less Jrpgs and more cinematic stuff, dunno.

PC and Nintendo are as important to Jrpgs as Sony nowadays. This is not PS1/2 era.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Should they? No.
Will they? Probably not as they seem to get a good deal even without buying them out.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
No...

The difference is MS games will still be available on PC while Sony, if they ever purchased them, would obviously make it console exclusive for 100 years before releasing on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
...No?

giphy.gif

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
No. There have been no hints that square is selling

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I kinda wish people would think about the little things when it comes to these acqusition begging threads.

Like for example, Square-Enix has three playable characters in Smash Bros. and Nintendo needs them to re-release Mario RPG. Having Sony buy them out would kill all of that dead and make things worse for everyone.
Doesn't MS have 2 playable characters in Smash? I'm not saying this wouldn't kill a Mario RPG re-release but I don't think it bars a big 3 character from Smash. I do agree over all that the acquisition would be bad, especially since SE makes a bunch of switch games that would be gone.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Sony's model- which puts huge sums into marketing their 1st party titles would work so well when they have to do it every 2 months

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like third party companies. I wish MS never bought bethesda and I don't want Sony to buy square.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely not.

I will eventually get a PS5 but Square being exclusive to Sony would be horrible.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Threads that champion or speculate about acquisitions and industry consolidation usually lead to platform wars, port begging, and hostility. As such, this is locked. If evidence of an acquisition happens to surface, feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.