• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you rather get?

• Mario Kart 9 on Switch

Votes: 219 29.0%
  • New F-ZERO on Switch

Votes: 535 71.0%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
When it comes to racing games, there's simply none that can match Mario Kart sales-wise. The series is a money-devouring monster, so it makes sense for Nintendo to always focus on it when it comes to making a racing game for their consoles rather than experimenting with their other IPs (which they still did sometimes, to be fair). However, the Switch has changed things up a bit: for the first time since the SNES, there's a chance that the console won't have its own Mario Kart, seeing how insanely well MK8D is selling being a 2014 game.

Now, yes, it's completely possible Nintendo will shut me up in the next Direct and announce Mario Kart 9, but if MK8D ends up as the Switch's Mario Kart, there would be no better time for Nintendo to revive F-ZERO:

• Instead of eating into MK8D's sales like a new Mario Kart would, the MK team could be better put into working on a game like F-ZERO, which has always been aimed at another audience than MK.
  • Out of Nintendo's current dead IPs, it's definitely the biggest one.
  • Thanks to Smash Bros Brawl, 4 and Ultimate, the series has definitely been getting some of that good Smash proxy popularity. Who can play Smash and not think about how cool Captain Falcon and the F-ZERO Stages are.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's coolest tracks are also coincidentally both F-ZERO tracks. Even more popularity that could lead into a Fire Emblem Awakening situation.
So, what would you want? MK9 on Switch or a new F-ZERO?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I've been stanning this opinion for a while now. It's time for Captain Falcon to come back to us in a car.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird to choose between them, you kind of acknowledge that they aren't really all that similar beyond "racing games" in the OP.

But I'd much rather have a new F-Zero because we haven't had one in over 15 years now. Mario Kart 8 is great and the Switch never getting a new MK would be a disappointment, but not as disappointing as what F-Zero has gone through.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
We already got Mario Kart Switch. They're not gonna make 2 on one system

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Its the perfect time to have a new Diddy Kong Racing now that we already have a Mario Kart and we dont need another one

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
New FZero. I'd forsake an MK9 on Switch or Switch 2 to for a new FZero of the same quality.

I'm dying on this hill.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My uneducated opinion: We're gonna get a mobile f2p F-Zero gacha fest before we get another standard game in the series.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Released early in the system's life =/= MIA though.

Nintendo has no clue what to do with F-Zero. A longer than usual gap in the MK cycle won't change that.

This thread just really has me wishing that Star Fox GP were real

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll go with F-Zero. MK9's not happening on the Switch. Maybe they can do a Nintendo All-Stars Racing instead.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
1bc.png

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What team would even make it? I don't think Nintendo has anyone who really cares to bring it back.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just accept that Wii U wasn't a thing. MK8 is Mario Kart Switch.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'd be happy to see F-Zero revived, but I'd be much happier to see Wave Race revived.

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't expect it, I definitely would prefer a new F-Zero. It's about time it came back.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
There has never been more than one Mario Kart game in a Nintendo console's library (not counting Virtual Console/Switch Online titles). I would be very surprised if MK9 was announced for Switch

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Each character has its own story mode. Online capability of course. I would love 30 players online at once. But I doubt a game like this could do that on Switch hardware and maintain 60fps. 12 player most likely.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
F-Zero's cast needs a hell of an revamp, and nintendo is still burned from GX\AX GBA games selling horrible. may as well do the new nintendo everyone is an waifu style, if going by the tastes of the new kids, racing games are in a bad spot, waifu\rpg elements tickles their fancy better.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
F-Zero's cast needs a hell of an revamp, and nintendo is still burned from GX\AX GBA games selling horrible. may as well do the new nintendo everyone is an waifu style, if going by the tastes of the new kids, racing games are in a bad spot, waifu\rpg elements tickles their fancy better.
Mad House got your back.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Rather have a God Hand like cyber-punk 3D beat em up starring Captain Falcon and produced by Platinum Games.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
GX is almost 20 years old. Come on Nintendo, it needs a new entry.
Fuck, I forgot I received that for like my 15th birthday. Jesus, I feel old af now.

I've had it in my life longer than I have without.

Fuck it's also wild it was a colab between Sega and Nintendo. Was so crazy at the time and still feels nuts.