• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why are people saying it won't work with a controller? What is WoW doing that FFXIV currently isn't doing?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these hot take posts that somehow think wow actually is remotely the same game in any way as it was in 2004.

wow has always been a pretty good system hog and has updated its minimum requirements constantly. it would run like garbage in many situations on a ps4 or xbox one I'm sure.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth makes you think this, OP? FFXIV is a more CPU-intensive game than WoW and that ran on a PS3 for god's sake.

WoW is not a CPU-intensive game in the slightest. The main issue with it coming to consoles now is that it's well past its prime and the window for console ports is pretty much closed for that game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
giphy.gif

it absolutely does not have anything to do with the CPUs that there is no WoW on consoles...

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at this point who cares? the remake of original wow would be a good point to bring new players in but they opted not to do it

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's a 15 year old game that never had high hardware requirements in the first place....

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
FFIV totally proves youy can do MMOs with a controller. I actually prefer it in some instances.

Last edited:

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
I've always thought it was because you need at least 20 keys to enjoy it, but that's just me.
Which is completely possible on a controller. XIV made pressing 24 different kinds of battle actions pretty easy to do.

The issue is probably more that nothing is setup for controller ease of use.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
a PS3/360 port of WoW would've been 100% possible,

maybe Blizzard is not keen on paying the console tax for the subs or whatever would be required...

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
WoW could run on consoles now. The infastructure just isn't set up for it. They don't want to pay fees to Sony/Microsoft and they don't want people to have to pay additional subs on top of their subs.
They easily could have gotten a sweetheart deal during last gen at the height of WoWs popularity and probably even now.

There's no PSN requirement for subscription based games on PSN and Square was even allowed to bypass the PS store for FFXIV for nearly all transactions. All game related transactions outside of initial purchase and expansion keys are handled by Square via a website. All subs and cash shop items are sold directly by them, you won't find them on the PS Store.

IIRC Square also got the same sweetheart deal last gen with XI on the 360 and Konami had something similar with MGS4's online component.

Yeah I feel like they would need to have a "console edition" that was a little more friendly to pads. Or you could just take advantage of a chat pad I guess.

I did mess around back in the day and bind a pad to all of the basic functions on my character and messed about, it would definitely need to be cleaned up.
The FFXIV layout allows direct access to 48 actions via trigger combos and it's crazy intuitive. It gets a bit cumbersome mapping out more battle actions than that, but the option is there allowing you to map up to 124 per class.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Jesus Christ yes the PS4/Xbox One are underpowered but they're not that bad guys, WoW is perfectly able to run on shit-tier laptops y'all acting like this shit is fuckin Red Dead Redemption 4

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying it won't work with a controller? What is WoW doing that FFXIV currently isn't doing?

Well, it is much faster paced for one. The pace of actions and combat in FFXIV are based around controller users, and that's why it features a GCD that's quite a bit longer than WoWs. So encounters are tuned around that much faster GCD. They would need to retune like the entire game. Especially healing, which is much spikier and random in WoW versus how it is in 14.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Uh.One of the things WoW (and any Blizzard game really) does is that they are built to run with a wide variety of machines in mind...including machines worse than current gen consoles. As for input, the developers are free to have their game support KB/m on consoles if they want.

WoW is not on consoles because the developers don't want it there due to whatever reasons, maybe it's because they don't want to deal with multiple SKUs and builds or maybe it's something else.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Gameloft had a wow clone on iPhone which imo looked pretty damn close to wow and im pretty sure it ran on the iphone 3gs. Theres nothing that stopped them porting to 360 gen, only not wanting to lose a percentage to MS /sony

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
At this point they'd do better to do another game built with console in mind.

I mean it could probably be ported over with keyboard support only and work fine?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
WoW is deceptively resource intensive mainly due to running on a bedrock of 15 year old engine not built from the ground up to leverage newer technologies and standards at the scale of a MMO with potentially tons of players being rendered at once.

Last time I played it, which was shortly after BFA released, mundane particle effects like bears kicking up dust could affect the framerate to a ludicrous degree.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
Modern WoW could easily work on the base PS4 and XB1 and hardware wise getting it running on PS3 and the 360 wouldn't be an impossibility except for the low amount of RAM. You can not look at PC requirements and then compare that to console hardware. PC software has to be designed to run with more overhead and far more possible hardware combinations. A console release would be much easier to optimize since you have a known hardware base.

FFXIV was playable on the PS3, but we know that SE has mentioned PS3 RAM limitations causing some issues (mostly UI and zone sizes). The rest of the issues are 1.0's horrible code base.

The biggest reason why we probably wouldn't see WoW on consoles is development cost. It would not be cheap to go through a MMO code base and port it to a console. On top of that you then have to redesign 15 years worth of content around controller usage. Addons aren't actually a deal breaker because you can still have them on a console, but you'd probably end up with them being curated by Blizzard.

As far as raid fights go for controller vs KB/M, it would be a UI design issue and GCD has no bearing what so ever. FFXIV's slower GCD is not because of controllers but a design decision by SE. Why would controllers require a slower GCD to begin with? It isn't harder, nor does it take longer, to hit buttons on a controller versus a KB/M. Generally when speaking of advantages of KB/M over a controller it is precision (mouse input is more precise than joystick).

Nov 4, 2017
I played vanilla WoW on a 1ghz Pentium 3 with 1gb RAM and a GeForce MX440...

Obviously the game has improved significantly since then, but as others have said, current consoles would be more than capable of running it. The reason for a lack of console version lie elsewhere.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
At this point Wow's codebase is probably such a mess after 15 years of patches and expansions that porting it would be a nightmare, even if technically possible.
Yes, that's the main reason, nothing to do with its age, hardware requirements or whatever.

I mean, when they changed the number of inventory slots on the default bag, the game broke for a couple of days. Some bosses were impossible to beat, old items removed many years ago began dropping again, many animations/visuals effects didn't worked anymore. I probably forgot some other bugs, but we're talking about a 15 years old spaghetti code.

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is great with a controller and I've had Steam Controller setups working beautifully for WoW. I would love to see next gen consoles support the Steam Controller, actually. Why not?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, it is much faster paced for one. The pace of actions and combat in FFXIV are based around controller users, and that's why it features a GCD that's quite a bit longer than WoWs. So encounters are tuned around that much faster GCD. They would need to retune like the entire game. Especially healing, which is much spikier and random in WoW versus how it is in 14.
Why wouldn't faster paced gameplay work on console though? as an Astrologian player the gameplay in XIV is anything but slow, the amount of fast decisions that class requires is crazy.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WoW not being on consoles has little to do with console specs.

Only way WoW is ever coming to consoles is if WoW is close to dead on pc, and Acitivision wants to milks the last few drops from it

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Why wouldn't faster paced gameplay work on console though? as an Astrologian player the gameplay in XIV is anything but slow, the amount of fast decisions that class requires is crazy.
dont think the input speed is that much of a problem, but raid healing with controller would be a nightmare as the target swapping is so slow and would not fly in higher tier wow raids

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could make it work on a controller fine. Would it be ideal? No. But people talking about high end raiding, that shit makes up a tiny fraction of the player base. Who already play on pc. They could get it working fine enough for people to play casually who haven't already jumped in or just want to play their account on the couch in an easy going way.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
I'm holding out for a next gen mmorpg. Played enough of WOW and Ff14 over the years. A mmorpg launching with the PS5 ground up controller support and cross play with PC would be awesome. Not going to happen though for long time.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, because Blizzard isn't investing a red cent into World of Warcraft. They are focused on shit games like Overwatch and Hearthstone. You think Blizz is really going to port WoW and compete with FFXIV or ESO? LOL they are not.
Says someone who knows nothing about Blizzard. They are definatly putting more than a red cent into WoW. Just read their financials.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
WoW is terrible with a controller, the gameplay is built around targeting things with your mouse. Writing in chats is a huge part of the game as well and I dont see that translating well into console.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm holding out for a next gen mmorpg. Played enough of WOW and Ff14 over the years. A mmorpg launching with the PS5 ground up controller support and cross play with PC would be awesome. Not going to happen though for long time.
Sadly I think MMO is a dead genre, chances of that happening are slim, though I'm hoping SE is working on the next online FF.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They would have to remake it first, which I would be totally up to. Use Unreal Engine 4 and add action-based combat. Leave the rest pretty much as is. Release it on PC/PS5/Next Xbox/Next Switch with cross-play.

Enjoy the revival of the Golden Goose.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
dont think the input speed is that much of a problem, but raid healing with controller would be a nightmare as the target swapping is so slow and would not fly in higher tier wow raids

It's just a matter of handling the healing UI properly for a controller. There's been people healing heroic raids with a controller already.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Really hope next gen consoles have full M&K support. Would open up a lot more genres to consoles like MMOs and RTS. Would also make cross play with PC more fair, and more games can have larger pools of players.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Really hope next gen consoles have full M&K support. Would open up a lot more genres to consoles like MMOs and RTS. Would also make cross play with PC more fair, and more games can have larger pools of players.

It doesnt matter if they do or not. Nobody is gonna put a game on a console that requires mandatory mouse and keyboard.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
PS2 run FF MMOs which doesnt look quite different that WoW at that time. PS3 run FF14,MAG,DC Online,City of Heroes etc. PS4 can run that shit on 4K

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I'd say adapting it to a controller is THE hardest challenge, not hardware. f2p shlock like Tera can get away with halfassed controller set up, but anyone who actually played ff14 witha controller can vouch that sheer amount of resources that went into designing all of that to work as well as it does and be as surprisingly customizeable as it is, must've been immense. All the r&d playtesting, just to make sure all major aspects are covered, all the tiny differences in behavior depending on whicb button you hold or not, and multiple means of targetting and changing targets, as well as supporting things like "soft" targeting to quickly heal, just the simple fact that elft an right swaps hostiles, up and down team mates... all of those things that give you immense sense of control, even if it ultimately not quite as precise as kb/m

Playing any other mmo with a controller after ff14 is kinda like going from a luxury professionally designed and manufactured car to some weird abomination you built in your garage from half rusted parts you salvaged from old junkyard.

Link’s Awakening

Alt account
Banned
Apr 28, 2019
FFXIV is on PS4 and PS3, it looks better than WoW and is more complex.

Dunno why you'd think WoW wouldn't have been able to run on consoles lol

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Who in the world would pay a sub to play such an ancient game on consoles? Maybe a free to play version might gain some traction but otherwise I don't know if it would be worth the effort at this point.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
MMORPGs work just fine on console (FFXIV, ESO, etc) so it's not the CPU to blame. i just don't think they've ever really thought it worth the time/money to bring it over. Plus, nobody is gonna pay a monthly fee for PS+/XBL and then another to play the game. It would need to drop the subscription model completely and Blizzard ain't gonna do that. That'd lose a lot of money from the time it would take to port it over and not getting monthly fees. Also if it were to drop subscription for console they might risk losing PC users.

Blizzard have made their money on WoW and at this point it's only really there for the hardcore dedicated fans. For a newcomer it's not so welcoming.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
just seems super bad, how do you fast navigate like 25man raid ui vs mouseover

I think some people use "raid cursors", so the d-pad moves over the raid frames of party members for "mouse over" healing. Apparently it's quite decent once you get good at it. For PS4, I could see gyro radial heal menus being an interesting approach. You'd have all your raid frames in a radial wheel in the UI, and you'd target them by tilting the controller.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Thought it would be more about not having 100% control over the online infrastructure and full implementation with battle.net. Isn't that why the servers are separate for D3 and not always online?

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
- Performance isn't an issue.
- It would be playable on a controller.
- Consoles support KB+M now anyway.