• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Modern WoW isn't the same game that came out in 2004. It's incredibly demanding on the CPU, especially in raids. I think they could definitely pull it off with next gen hardware, or maybe even current gen at 30FPS, but it's never going to be ideal with a controller.

Yes, I'm aware FFXIV plays fine with a controller. WoW is a much faster paced game, and it doesn't translate as well to a gamepad.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
FF14 is what people on console should gravitate to, it is so well done with controller that it's the only way I played the game on PC.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original WoW game play wasn't feasible without a mouse and keyboard. The game play has been stripped so a FFXIV:ARR control system might work, but WoW classic isn't going to overtake WoW: BFA, so it doesn't even matter

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Abilities have been pruned so much it's totally playable on a controller. There are controller mods for PC that work fine already as well.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
graphical power is not an issue here, with graphic like that even PS3 can handle it just fine

the thing is, they designed and programmed wow with PC in mind, so i can imagine it would be horror to port that code to the console (eg requires really big effort using additional team)

you can't really compare with FFXIV though, since this game was developed for multiplatform from the start

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Basic problem is just a control issue as FF14 has been available for 2 generations of consoles. And to say WoW wouldn't work with a controller setup is incorrect. It could work, FF14 proves that. It just would take a ton of time and money to develop where FF14 had it set up from the outset of development. The biggest factor is developing the game for the consoles, not the power of the console. Gotta modify an entire engine to run the game, update it, etc. Just like the controls, FF14 was built from the start with console in mind.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't know why Console gamers would want WoW anyway, the game is quite bad now, if i was you i would ask for Classic WoW with KB/M support.

Oct 25, 2017
What a bizarre question.

"Do you think WoW, from TWO THOUSAND AND FOUR, could run on top of the line consoles in 2020?"

I'm...........yeah.....

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What a bizarre question.

"Do you think WoW, from TWO THOUSAND AND FOUR, could run on top of the line consoles in 2020?"

I'm...........yeah.....
This is disingenuous. The game today is not remotely close to the game it was in 2004, and has had big graphical overhauls throughout its lifespan. The system requirements today aren't the same as they were in 2004.

That's not to say that modern consoles couldn't run it, but there's more to it than just "old game, new hardware."

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
WoW could run on this gen of consoles. Nothing is stopping Blizzard from porting WoW to consoles outside of the bad fit it is.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What a bizarre question.

I'm...........yeah.....

WoW from 2004 and what people play today are vastly diffrent games from a tehnical standpoint.

You cannot play WoW at this very moment with a PC that has specs from 2005.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WoW could run on consoles now. The infastructure just isn't set up for it. They don't want to pay fees to Sony/Microsoft and they don't want people to have to pay additional subs on top of their subs.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
WoW's issue isn't that consoles couldn't run it, it's that the console demographic just isn't there for it / the control scheme would be significantly weaker.

In the same vein, they could port Starcraft II to consoles, but It would be much worse due to the low APM nature of consoles.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
is this a joke? WOW came out in what, like 2004?

The game is unplayable on a controller, so unless next-gen has full system-level KB/M support, no.
Both already do. I played FFXIV on both PS3 and PS4 with KB/M and played both with a controller. WOW is absolutely doable with a controller.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both already do. I played FFXIV on both PS3 and PS4 with KB/M and played both with a controller. WOW is absolutely doable with a controller.

It's not. FFXIV was designed with consoles in mind. WoW wasn't. As discussed earlier in the thread, WoW would theoretically be playable on a controller for basic quests and combat, but high-level events and raids would be impossible.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
WoW from 2004 and what people play today are vastly diffrent games from a tehnical standpoint.

You cannot play WoW at this very moment with a PC that has specs from 2005.

Yeah but like...the idea of it being ported to a console kinda assumes it's been optimized to that hardware. There's not anything more going on from a CPU-intensive perspective that would really tax a current gen console beyond the abilities to be reasonably optimized for.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from maybe the 6th gen consoles and the Wii, I don't think CPU strength has ever been a substantial factor in keeping WoW off of consoles.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Lol maybe a 360 at like 10 FPS
The 360 CPU was a tri-core PPC chip clocked at 3.2ghz IIRC and would easy punch up to high end desktop CPUs of the time, if not beat them. It would run fine on a 360.

I think people are forgetting that 7th gen consoles were actually fucking insanely powerful compared to the PC equivalent at the time.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Let me rephrase.

It's *possible*, but would require most skills to be hidden and cycled with shoulder buttons. It's not ideal for anything other than basic quest combat. Raiding would be impossible.

i think youre wrong, there are programs and addons that make wow pretty playable on a xbox controller

its not going to be as fast as kb/m, slightly clunkier (like tab targetting) but it works pretty well

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I thought part of the motivation for the Xbox 360 having the keyboard accessory for the controller was to attempt to lure MMOs to the console.

dims

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I've always thought it was because you need at least 20 keys to enjoy it, but that's just me.

Yeah I feel like they would need to have a "console edition" that was a little more friendly to pads. Or you could just take advantage of a chat pad I guess.

I did mess around back in the day and bind a pad to all of the basic functions on my character and messed about, it would definitely need to be cleaned up.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
do people actually think that consoles cannot run WoW?
i assume the reason it wasnt ported is you would need to redesign much of the UI for consoles.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WoW could run on consoles now. The infastructure just isn't set up for it. They don't want to pay fees to Sony/Microsoft and they don't want people to have to pay additional subs on top of their subs.
Games that has a sub doesn't require the online subscription, thankfully

EDIT:
Yeah I feel like they would need to have a "console edition" that was a little more friendly to pads. Or you could just take advantage of a chat pad I guess.

I did mess around back in the day and bind a pad to all of the basic functions on my character and messed about, it would definitely need to be cleaned up.
Actually FFXIV proves that you can easily do it on a controller, and from my experience you have to press quite a lot more buttons on FFXIV than on WoW. They'd just have to take their time to implement it well, and not be shy to copy from their competitor 8)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
If vanilla FFXIV could run on PS3, then WoW can run on current hardware no problem.

But you can tell when an MMO was designed from the ground up to work with a controller (FFXIV) or when it was tacked on several years afterward (Tera).

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think youre wrong, there are programs and addons that make wow pretty playable on a xbox controller

its not going to be as fast as kb/m, slightly clunkier (like tab targetting) but it works pretty well

Have you seen the complaints about The Division 2's raid difficulty on consoles?

WoW raids used to take 30+ days to clear on PC. That stuff simply wouldn't be beatable with a controller, no matter what they do with it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay would also be an obvious must, so it'd be interesting to see how that would be handled.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The 360 CPU was a tri-core PPC chip clocked at 3.2ghz IIRC and would easy punch up to high end desktop CPUs of the time, if not beat them. It would run fine on a 360.

I think people are forgetting that 7th gen consoles were actually fucking insanely powerful compared to the PC equivalent at the time.
The 360 CPU was infamously misleading, it's actual performance was crap compared to a Pentium 4.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FF14 was a game designed with consoles in mind since day 1.

WoW isn't and won't be.

People who actually played the game know that it's impossible to play it properly on a controller.

Have you played FF14? Nowadays you are pressing a log more buttons in FF14 then in wow and even just leveling requires more movement in FF than WoW, and with the recent increase in GDC in WoW that is also no longer an issue. Wow could easily run on console today.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because Blizzard isn't investing a red cent into World of Warcraft. They are focused on shit games like Overwatch and Hearthstone. You think Blizz is really going to port WoW and compete with FFXIV or ESO? LOL they are not.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably possible already but the experience would be way worse than on PC

May 10, 2019
PS3/360 would have been the time to do it, but it just seems way past the point of most people really caring in console space without a massive UI/control overhaul.

Not to mention that other/better MMOs already are pretty entrenched with console biased folks.