• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gym?

• I'm not going so I'm cancelling my membership.

Votes: 209 39.5%
  • I'm not going but I'll keep up my membership.

Votes: 74 14.0%
  • I'm going. Fitness above all.

Votes: 114 21.6%
  • I don't go to the gym. I'm just naturally like this.

Votes: 132 25.0%

• Total voters

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm grandfathered in at LA Fitness for like $10 a month so I've had it for like 8 years at this point and only went for the last 2-3. Not gonna go anytime soon (cousin has a garage setup that works well enough), but I'm keeping my membership.

I imagine that, like most gimmicky workout tools, it's a waste of money.
You mean I won't get that dudes arms?

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I've been debating this since my gym reopened early this month. I've bought some dumbbells but it's not the same. I want to invest in a home gym but they're still sold out here.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gyms don't open here for a few more weeks.

I've been working out at home, also getting a little much needed rest. But I'll be back in as soon as possible. Fitness is very important to me, and it was honestly super nice in the gym before quarantine as attendance was down like 80%. I suspect it'll stay low for a while, so social distancing will be a non-issue

Feb 6, 2019
I'd say, use roughly half of that $1200 stimulus check and invest in a power rack, a bar, a bench, and some plates. Never have to pay gym membership nonsense again.

Oct 28, 2017
I live in a country that actually has the virus under control. I see no reason why I shouldn't go back to the gym when they open up in a week or two. Nobody uses the power racks in my gym other than me anyway so I won't ever be within a few metres of anyone else.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Gyms are probably the last place I'll go back to for the rest of the year. I'd sooner go to a movie or even a concert before the gym again.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn:

On the one hand, I already had Covid months ago, so I might as well go back when they open. I'm not carrying it, and I'm not in danger of catching it.

On the other, I think it's pre-mature to re-open for the general population of people who haven't already had it, and it's unrealistic to ask the gym to open for only people who can prove they've had it.

So... I dunno!

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the "already canceled it" option?

Somehow about two to three days before everything closed up I canceled mine, pure luck on the timing.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
My gym is putting a lot of precautions in place as well as going appointment only, so I might give them a chance.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The times I go to the gym literally no one else is there and I'm careful with hygiene. I'm transitioning to just working out at home but I don't have a squat rack yet so will still be doing a few gym sessions.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't know... I'm not sure I'm comfortable going back soon, but I'm losing all my gains and drinking alcohol all the time.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will be going as soon as they open. Gonna go late evening or overnight. I want to put on muscle and I don't have weights or a power rack at home, so....

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got a bowflex for doing cardio at home. I miss strength training though and sitting in the sauna as well....

I will probably go back around this time next year

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Haven't canceled my membership yet, but will have to see how me and my mom will plan this. Not putting my hopes if the gyms are deemed safe. I just have a difficult time motivating myself to exercise outside the gym. Though doesn't seem like my nearest gym has any parked vehicles as of now

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went back this week for the first time but I'm still mostly working out at home. At my gym, less regulars are showing up and it's less crowded. Of course, as soon as I got in, a buddy of mine gave me a fist bump. I'm just going to try and wash my hands a lot and not touch my eyes, nose, or mouth, and keep good distance from people. A lot of my social situations happen at the gym and it's turned me from a shy introvert into somewhat of a social butterfly, so I'm a little drawn in to the place. I'll probably go once or twice a week from here on, especially since my state of Ohio has seen a small uptick of cases lately. I have a pretty decent garage gym with 540 lbs. of weight, a barbell, bench, rack, adjustable 1' dumbbells and plates, and some other stuff, so I'm generally good.

Kohinoor

Aug 21, 2019
I'm just going to keep my membership, it's not worth opening/closing it over and over for only 3-4 months a year during the rainy/cold months where I am.

Hopefully by then things will be a bit safer.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
24 Hour Fitness' strategy for reopening is literally 8 people at a time in 1 hour chunks with 30 minutes in between to wipe everything down. And you have to schedule your 1 hour period.

I may as well cancel until there's a vaccine.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I already go. Need to maintain my body for a lil bit because im visiting malaysia next month, there is this party that im attending

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
What are you guys using for at-home workouts? Moving in to a small apartment and I don't trust any gym near me during this pandemic. (College town)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My gym is the onsite work gym, so I'll keep my free membership as long as I stay with the company. They aren't opening up anyway, though, so it's moot.

In the meantime, I've been doing calisthenics at home, so it's something at least. The gym staff is also putting out workout and nutrition videos on Slack.

I'm honestly thinking about canceling my membership and getting one of these instead

cbdc3771c06c146ec4ee4c06da52df9b_original.jpg
I read that that particular one only goes up to 40 lbs. of resistance. Seems kind of low.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I belonged to a local small cross fit studio and gym. I'll probably do the local studio. Its typically nothing but personal training + a class 3x times a week. But LA Fitness is done till next year. I canceled that sucker already.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I just started going again a couple days ago. Besides the workers, I'm the only one wearing a mask. But I don't wear one when I'm on the treadmill. It's pretty discouraging but man I got to get myself right somehow. I did run outside and maybe I should have just stuck with that for a while. I just feel I get more from going to the gym.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I'm a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu guy and I'm done, dude. For the time being. Seeing the "precautions" people are taking at BJJ gyms -- masks, taping off the areas of the mats to "social distance" grappling -- no, just no. Asymptomatic guy could wipe out everyone in the gym. I feel for the guys trying to run the gyms, though, nobody gets rich teaching martial arts.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
We moved and haven't been able to cancel because it has to be done in person. Super inconvenient

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu guy and I'm done, dude. For the time being. Seeing the "precautions" people are taking at BJJ gyms -- masks, taping off the areas of the mats to "social distance" grappling -- no, just no. Asymptomatic guy could wipe out everyone in the gym. I feel for the guys trying to run the gyms, though, nobody gets rich teaching martial arts.
I think that's a good point many are missing about asymptotic guy. I was talking about the gym reopening with a section head at our hospital (lab), and she was like yeah I've been going back to the gym for a while now and I'm not sick or anything, like that's the worst that can happen....

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel for the guys trying to run the gyms, though, nobody gets rich teaching martial arts.
I own and run a MMA gym and it's tough. We started back up our Muay Thai classes but I have been real hesitant on Jiu Jitsu and Judo. Being closed for 3 straight months and only limited classes now makes things really tough.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna go, I kinda torn about it, but its the only way I'll work out.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I've been going back 4 to 5 days a week since they reopened about a month ago. They require you wear a mask when you enter and leave.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
I'm still technically a member at my gym but they're not charging me. I'll probably just freeze my account whenever they reopen because without a vaccine I'm just asking to get COVID if I go.

I love barbell exercises (fuck bodyweight and dumbbells) and I have an apartment so no go for doing barbells at home so eventually I'll come back to my gym when it's safe to do so

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Not going for the rest of this year. I'm scared of a bunch of people breathing heavily in an enclosed environment. Also it would be really hard to work out while wearing a mask.

I have my old weights and just bought a treadmill.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I don't see any /s in this post so I'm going to assume you're serious?

It's your life dude but yea lots of things wrong in this post
Of course i am serious. But i might have a second thought to cancel it though because i might save the money for ps5. But overall thats the gist

Btw full context: im not livin in america so things may be a bit differebt

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been going since they opened up June 1. I'm in Thailand, though, and they all wear masks, clean everything often, social distance, etc. I wipe everything down before and after, and don't interact with anyone. Seems fine so far.

Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled my LA Fitness membership way before COVID-19, and I'm glad I did. I just bought some weights and resistance bands, pull up bar installed in my room, etc. I love bodyweight exercises, skateboarding, longboarding, hiking, and I guess calisthenics type workouts are also a frugal and effective way to get fit.

I might go back to the gym one day, because having a membership gives you a lot more drive/incentive to get your money's worth (so you workout more often and don't get lazy on your routine). But nothing beats a fleshed out home gym you built yourself, with bars and racks and benches all to yourself. You don't have to share the equipment and it's a good investment in the long-term. I also never liked having eyes on me while trying to squat or deadlift or do major compound lifts either lol.

Last edited:

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I've basically bought a home gym since quarantine started. I now have an adjustable bench, adjustable dumbbells (Bowflex 552s) and two sets of Amazon Basics dumbbells that I'm going to put together with a connector to make a barbell

I think I can do most of what I need with this. Would be nice to get a squat/power rack but I probably don't need it tbh

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
My gym is at work... which I can't go to still...
Trying to snag a copy of Ring Fit Adventure but in the meantime it's been a lot of walking when the weather is good enough